Kraken baby

Created by: JOHNNI36OY
Team: 2021-22 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 18, 2022
Published: Mar. 18, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
- Seattle trade:
The asking price for Giordano is HIGH, no question there, and no one to blame for the precedents more than Kyle Dubas himself, especially after the deal Florida made for Ben Chiarot. SO, if the Leafs are to get a defenceman to add some insurance on that end for the playoffs and help the goaltending out, trading Dermott, a 2nd, and the next 2 years 1st's makes sense in todays culture of overpaying at the deadline. as for Donskoi, he was VERY good his entire career in both San Jose and Colorado, he's struggled a lot this year as Seattle has been grinding the bottom of the Pacific but a change to a playoff team with an already talented offence might awaken the dorment beast inside of him, and it was between Mikheyev and Engvall for him and Engvall seemed like the guy that fits the least with the Leafs anymore. Mikheyev has worked well with Kampf and Kase and Robertson, Kerfoot, and Bunting are staying, seems Pierre has reached his ceiling with us and to no fault of his own, he could thrive in Seattle and I'd wish him all the best. And hey, if either of them don't work out, the retention on them is enough to bury them in the minors and clear more cap no problemo.

- Detroit trade Part 1 (at the deadline):
Like Toronto, it looks as if the Wings are in a bit of a pickle themselves with goaltending. The difference? Detroit has a bunch of cap space to spend on if they wanted to. Petr Mrázek is definitely having the worst season of his career, but nothing in past seasons has shown to suggest that this has always been who he is, no, he's actually always been a decent, average goalie, weird style, but good enough to get the job done and for a reasonable contract. Perhaps a change in scenery for him as well could work well for both teams, Detroit gets a goalie with a good reputation and character, Toronto dumps some cap. How does Toronto convince them to make this deal though by taking away their AHL starter? Retaining his salary, and adding in Hutchinson to replace Pickard. Despite what NHL fans know of Hutchinson he's not actually that bad in the AHL, his save percentage is still fairly above .900 and perhaps a change to Grand Rapids could be what he needs to get back to the better shape he used to be in, something to think about is all I'm saying. And Detroit would kind of need both of them anyways with Greiss being 36, a UFA, and Nedeljkovic just not being any better than what Mrazek currently is. if anything, they're off-season trade pieces they can use.

- Detroit trade Part 2 (Off-Season/Draft):
This one could be packaged with Mrazek and Hutch but I don't really see that happening with the Leafs in need of all the defensive help they could get, hence it would probably go after the playoffs in my eyes. The Leafs need draft picks this year, they can't go in with just one or even nothing, but no ones giving up early picks for Holl, and not many non-playoff teams have mid-late picks, enter Detroit again, Colorado and Vegas' 4th rounders could be so late they're basically early 5ths, plus Holl retained when a player of his calibre could play with DeKeyser on the top til Seider develops a little more? Sounds like a no brainer to me to be honest. Toronto ships half Holl's contract out for more cap room, Detroit would still have 6 outta 7 of their own picks plus Washingtons 2nd, so its still a very good draft for them. with both these deals I'd expect them to actually make the playoffs next year the way the team would look on paper at least compared to the rest of the Atlantic outside Florida, Tampa, and Toronto. Bostons reign is long over, Buffalo, Ottawa, and ESPECIALLY Montreal, still need to develop far more than Detroit needs to, and I don't see NYI, Columbus, or Pittsburgh even being that good next year, so the path to the Wild Card is pretty simple for the Red Wings if both these were to happen in my mind.

How does this affect the Leafs at the start of next season though? Well, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Mikheyev, Lyubushkin, and Clifford all walk in Free Agency, Spezza and Giordano probably Retire, and Kase could get offer sheeted or perhaps traded for better picks than what would present from the original RFA agreement considering his performance this past season. All that would be to make room for Muzzin being back in the lineup (though I can see him being shipped out in the summer honestly considering all his injuries), Rielly's extension, and to be able to sign Campbell to an extension. Who could fill out those old slots on D and line 4? Simmonds is still a great guy to have there, could rotate with Joey Anderson on RW who's racking up points on the Marlies, Brett Seney and Alex Steeves, the other Marlies top scorers, could fill the LW and C positions on line 4. and Joseph Duszak is killing it too, AND A RIGHT SHOT, he could fit into 3rd RD no problem honestly. if there's still room/Muzzin is traded, Filip Kral is the next best choice to fill that LD spot hands down. So essentially, the Leafs would be fine still. There's nothing to worry about when their affiliate teams are always developing good players from drafts years prior.
Trades
TOR
  1. Donskoi, Joonas ($1,950,000 retained)
  2. Giordano, Mark ($3,375,000 retained)
SEA
  1. Dermott, Travis ($500,000 retained)
  2. Engvall, Pierre ($250,000 retained)
  3. 2022 2nd round pick (TOR)
  4. 2022 7th round pick (TOR)
  5. 2023 1st round pick (TOR)
  6. 2024 1st round pick (TOR)
TOR
  1. 2022 4th round pick (COL)
  2. 2022 4th round pick (VGK)
DET
  1. Holl, Justin ($1,000,000 retained)
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the COL
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$75,104,783$0$400,000$6,395,217

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$950,000$950,000
LW
UFA - 2
$11,640,250$11,640,250
C
UFA - 3
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 3
$796,667$796,667
LW, RW
RFA - 3
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 4
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
UFA - 4
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Seattle Kraken
$1,950,000$1,950,000
RW
UFA - 2
$1,645,000$1,645,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
C
UFA - 2
$1,250,000$1,250,000
RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 1
$1,350,000$1,350,000
RD
UFA - 1
$1,650,000$1,650,000
G
UFA - 1
Logo of the Seattle Kraken
$0$0
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
NTC
UFA - 3
$750,000$750,000
G
UFA - 2
$894,167$894,167
LD
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
RD
RFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW
UFA - 1
$5,625,000$5,625,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 3
$900,000$900,000
RW, LW
NTC
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Mar. 18, 2022 at 5:59 p.m.
Banned
Red Wings decline both trades
Billy12Bob and aedoran liked this.
Mar. 18, 2022 at 5:59 p.m.
what? how in the world are the high deadline prices Dubas' fault? This is some pretty bad analysis all around but that line is especially egregious.
And those trades are hilariously bad, two firsts for giordano and a 3rd liner? yikes and then you turn around and trade Holl for two 4ths? terrible
Mar. 18, 2022 at 6:02 p.m.
Just read the Seattle part. This gotta be a joke right lol
Mar. 18, 2022 at 6:07 p.m.
Quoting: JaredOfLondon
what? how in the world are the high deadline prices Dubas' fault? This is some pretty bad analysis all around but that line is especially egregious.
And those trades are hilariously bad, two firsts for giordano and a 3rd liner? yikes and then you turn around and trade Holl for two 4ths? terrible

Do the original Clifford trade and Nick Foligno ring any bells? LOL, Trevor Moore, a first and a fourth I believe went the other way for both these guys, and look what's happened, Moore is ripping it up in LA, Cliffords useless and Foligno dipped right after the bubble without a second thought. Dubas has set high precedents, any expensive deal you see being made around the league now around the deadline is because of his past moves sacrificing good prospects and picks. I'm not saying he's the worst GM in the world or anything, but we gotta be able to admit, Seattle asking for a first for Giordano at his age and being a rental? who was the last only GM you've seen make that kind of move......
Mar. 18, 2022 at 6:08 p.m.
Quoting: rgwhite17
Just read the Seattle part. This gotta be a joke right lol

Not a joke
Mar. 18, 2022 at 6:09 p.m.
Quoting: Letter_Kenny

*accept
Mar. 18, 2022 at 6:10 p.m.
Quoting: JOHNNI36OY
Do the original Clifford trade and Nick Foligno ring any bells? LOL, Trevor Moore, a first and a fourth I believe went the other way for both these guys, and look what's happened, Moore is ripping it up in LA, Cliffords useless and Foligno dipped right after the bubble without a second thought. Dubas has set high precedents, any expensive deal you see being made around the league now around the deadline is because of his past moves sacrificing good prospects and picks. I'm not saying he's the worst GM in the world or anything, but we gotta be able to admit, Seattle asking for a first for Giordano at his age and being a rental? who was the last only GM you've seen make that kind of move......

ah yes, the original Kyle Clifford trade where Dubas got a guy who has put up vezina numbers for almost his entire time as a leaf, or the foligno trade, the first bad trade ever made at the deadline! No one has ever traded. No one has ever traded a 1st for a guy like gaustad or Savard or anything else. it was all started with Dubas. Seriously, what a silly thing to say.
Mar. 18, 2022 at 6:10 p.m.
This post is the most in-depth troll job I have ever witnesses. If Giordano and Donskoi end up getting a package similar to this, I'll delete my account tears of joy
aedoran liked this.
Mar. 18, 2022 at 6:12 p.m.
Banned
*accept

Red Wings will sign a UFA goalie. Already seen the Mrazek CLAHN show before. No need for Holl either with Seider, Hronek, Lindstrom on RD.
Mar. 18, 2022 at 6:14 p.m.
Quoting: QualityTrades1
This post is the most in-depth troll job I have ever witnesses. If Giordano and Donskoi end up getting a package similar to this, I'll delete my account tears of joy

I guess we'll see come Monday at 3pm LOL. idk dude, if Dermott and Engvall get retained too with all those picks it looks like a pretty good deal in theory for Seattle
Mar. 18, 2022 at 6:20 p.m.
Red Wings will sign a UFA goalie. Already seen the Mrazek CLAHN show before. No need for Holl either with Seider, Hronek, Lindstrom on RD.

other than Seider, I've literally never heard of Hronek til I was making these moves and Lindstrom is still developing too. I don't really see how Detroit gets a goalie through UFA unless they overpay, which I don't see being possible with DeKeyser and Fabbri's prices/DeKeyser and Namestnikov among others seeking extensions
Mar. 18, 2022 at 6:21 p.m.
Banned
other than Seider, I've literally never heard of Hronek til I was making these moves and Lindstrom is still developing too. I don't really see how Detroit gets a goalie through UFA unless they overpay, which I don't see being possible with DeKeyser and Fabbri's prices/DeKeyser and Namestnikov among others seeking extensions

You've never heard of Hronek. Nuff said. LOL
Mar. 18, 2022 at 6:50 p.m.

I agree.
Mar. 18, 2022 at 7:37 p.m.
The chance of Yzerman bringing Mrazek back slim to none. It's just not a move he makes, if he drafted that player then maybe because he has don't that. Now Ned has gone through a rough patch but you can't blame him alone the whole team has been bad over that same stretch. Before this bad stretch Detroit was 22- 21- 6 and during they are 2- 8- 1 that doesn't include last nights shoutout. In the post game interviews after the Arizona game Larkin was asked what went wrong tonight and he replied with "EVERYTHING!" Even with the bad stretch Ned's numbers are still significantly better than Mrazek's and when consider Mrazek had a very good team in front of him and Ned had a rebuilding team in front of him. There is no way you can say Ned hasn't been any better than Mrazek. With a bunch of UFAs with better numbers than Mrazek including Pickard, so there is no reason for Detroit to do this. If you want Pickard I think a 6th rd pick might do it.

That being said I do like the Mando and Gogru avatar.
JhonnyCanuck5 and JOHNNI36OY liked this.
Mar. 18, 2022 at 9:06 p.m.
Banned
Detroit passes both trades, Mrazek we don't want back and Holl is a waste of a roster spot.
JhonnyCanuck5 liked this.
Mar. 18, 2022 at 9:38 p.m.

Wings decline both easily. Also, Wings have waived DeKeyser multiple times. They will not be extending him. Also, dude “has never heard” of Hronek 😂

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll