Forums/Armchair-GM

Capitals offseason

Created by: Sad_Siegs
Team: 2022-23 Washington Capitals
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 11, 2022
Published: Apr. 11, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Lines are accurate to what i believe would be best for the team, also AHL roster is accurate to what i think should happen. This is decently realistic, the only thing that is questionable is kuemper not be resigned but their are rumors that AVS wont have cap space to resign. Eller can go anywhere same with sammy but i feel like those trades are fair and can happen.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$750,000
3$800,000
3$800,000
3$800,000
1$800,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$3,000,000
2$950,000
2$950,000
2$950,000
2$800,000
2$800,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$1,500,000
5$6,500,000
Trades
WSH
  1. Vesalainen, Kristian [RFA Rights]
Additional Details:
Vesalainen has struggled this year with the jets and could use a fresh start.
WPG
  1. Eller, Lars
Additional Details:
Winnipeg gets a good 3C to replace copp, and eller is on a good contract. Capitals gain a roster spot and cap space
NJD
  1. Samsonov, Ilya [RFA Rights]
  2. 2022 5th round pick (WSH)
Additional Details:
Sammy is no longer needed for the caps, and devils need a backup goalie.
Clarke is a decent prospect but is expendable
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$82,500,000$70,573,333$100,000$50,000$11,926,667

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Washington Capitals
$9,500,000$9,500,000
LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 4
$3,900,000$3,900,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$5,166,667$5,166,667
RW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$2,850,000$2,850,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$9,200,000$9,200,000
C
NMC
UFA - 3
$5,750,000$5,750,000
RW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$863,333$863,333
LW, C
RFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$50,000$50K)
C
RFA - 3
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$950,000$950,000
LW, RW
RFA
$1,300,000$1,300,000
C
UFA - 3
$950,000$950,000
RW
RFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
LW
UFA - 2
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$791,667$791,667
LD/RD
RFA - 1
$8,000,000$8,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$1,275,000$1,275,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
RFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RD
UFA - 2
$2,500,000$2,500,000
RD
UFA - 1
$6,500,000$6,500,000
G
UFA - 5
$950,000$950,000
RD
UFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
G
UFA - 3
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Apr. 11, 2022 at 8:34 a.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan
Can't wait to not be able to even sign Fehervary the next offseason.

Samsonov should not be traded in any situation, he has solid mechanics and elite athleticism, he's been screwed by defense this season.

Why are we playing Lybushkin and Alexeyev out of position here? Just let them play their natural side and roll the lines more.

I doubt Lapierre plays next year. Laviolette scratching Hathaway and Snively seems unlikely, he's clearly been a fan of both of them.

Kuemper would be a poor decision given the cap, he could get more elsewhere and Washington does not need him with Vanecek and Samsonov. We keep talking about how the goalies are inexperienced but the can never become experienced if they don't get opportunities to play.
Apr. 11, 2022 at 9:36 a.m.
The Jets don't have the cap space or need for Eller.
Apr. 11, 2022 at 9:43 a.m.
Sad_Siegs
Quoting: Windjammer
The Jets don't have the cap space or need for Eller.

well they dont have a good 3C and could use him at wing if needed, also they have enough cap space especially since they are no longer contending.
Apr. 11, 2022 at 9:51 a.m.
Quoting: Sad_Siegs
well they dont have a good 3C and could use him at wing if needed, also they have enough cap space especially since they are no longer contending.

Not really. Eller is expensive for what he provides and having him on the roster means less cap space to sign good players like Dubois. Sorry.
Apr. 11, 2022 at 9:52 a.m.
Sad_Siegs
Quoting: NoVaSpartan
Can't wait to not be able to even sign Fehervary the next offseason.

Samsonov should not be traded in any situation, he has solid mechanics and elite athleticism, he's been screwed by defense this season.

Why are we playing Lybushkin and Alexeyev out of position here? Just let them play their natural side and roll the lines more.

I doubt Lapierre plays next year. Laviolette scratching Hathaway and Snively seems unlikely, he's clearly been a fan of both of them.

Kuemper would be a poor decision given the cap, he could get more elsewhere and Washington does not need him with Vanecek and Samsonov. We keep talking about how the goalies are inexperienced but the can never become experienced if they don't get opportunities to play.

Sammy is literally awful both by just eye test and advanced analytics

Its really not that big of a deal to play them on opposite sides, the only thing i looked at was d pairing partners if needed orlov could switch with alexeyev.

Lapierre made the roster the begining of this year and could have probably stayed with the team if he wasnt competing with mcmicheal for 3C, he will defintely be in the nhl next year

Hataway could play 4th line instead of leason but like i said in the description its what i would do, same with snively.

Inexperience isnt the problem its samsonov being inconsistent and bad, goaltending is the only reason this team hasnt been sucessful the past 3 years and im willing to overpay or give too much term to kuemper to get solid goaltending. Also the roster is getting younger and less expensive and the salary cap is probably going up next year again.

You have horrible takes
Apr. 11, 2022 at 10:03 a.m.
Benzino204
Lowry is going to be the 3C and below him will be one of Gustafsson or Barron, so they will easily reject the offer.

The Jets are not no longer contending. This offseason is going to be about a retool. If next year turns out the same as this year, then they will rebuild.
Apr. 11, 2022 at 11:02 a.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan
Quoting: Sad_Siegs
Sammy is literally awful both by just eye test and advanced analytics

Its really not that big of a deal to play them on opposite sides, the only thing i looked at was d pairing partners if needed orlov could switch with alexeyev.

Lapierre made the roster the begining of this year and could have probably stayed with the team if he wasnt competing with mcmicheal for 3C, he will defintely be in the nhl next year

Hataway could play 4th line instead of leason but like i said in the description its what i would do, same with snively.

Inexperience isnt the problem its samsonov being inconsistent and bad, goaltending is the only reason this team hasnt been sucessful the past 3 years and im willing to overpay or give too much term to kuemper to get solid goaltending. Also the roster is getting younger and less expensive and the salary cap is probably going up next year again.

You have horrible takes

First, actually watch Samsonov in games like Edmonton and Toronto, where he was pulled. In all but one of those goals (the point shot by Toronto), it isn't his fault. You, like most caps fans, seem to have blamed him for most things, when the defense in front of him has been anything but consistent. I am a guy who hasn't played goalie myself, but I can tell you from years of playing with and working with plenty of goalies, they can agree that the guy isn't at fault about 90% of the time. His defense gives him nothing, with Orlov and Jensen being the only consistent defensemen (as much as I hate to say it, Fehervary has been scary inconsistent at times). He ends up facing a ton of 2 on 1s due to bad pinches from defense or just floating out of position (like what happened to Vanecek against Minnesota). He's also been tasked with starting after those week long breaks where the team plays like garbage (thanks, schedulemakers), something Vanecek also suffered from when he occasionally gets those starts. The guy is super athletic which is always something you like to see from goalies, and positions himself well. He makes the first save quite a it, and while he struggles to track the puck occasionally, he suffers from defense doing the same thing, or forwards not jumping in to assist (see McMichael and Kempny on the Toronto goal right before the intermission).

Forcing a rookie to start his NHL career on the opposite side is tough to do. Alexeyev-Orlov, while not my favorite as I think Orlov needs to play his natural side, wouldn't be a bad idea, but it would then make Lybushkin uneeded. Van Riemsdyk does the same job, but better and cheaper, and signing Lybushkin forces LuJo into Hershey for yet another year, something that I think could completely stunt his career and kill his chances to make the NHL. You can only bury a prospect for so long until they bust.

While Lapierre did make the squad this year, as the games went on he showed he was very rough around the edges. Had he been able to play in Hershey this year, I think we could have seen how close he is in a better way, but getting some seasoning in Hershey would be best for his NHL career. The Capitals have plenty of NHL ready players who could take his role, like Protas for example, there is no need to rush him up and possibly do what Montreal did to Mete and Galchenyuk by making him play full time too soon.

Scratching Hathaway and Snively would not be a good idea for the team, as Hathaway brings a necessary grit to the lineup that alleviates pressure from Wilson to do the same thing, and Snively brings a goal scoring touch that Vesalainen doesn't bring to the team. A bottom 6 of Snively-McMichael-Sheary and Hathaway-Dowd-Leason would be a better mix of talent, gives McMichael a goal scorer on the wing, and lets Leason work more on being a more balanced player alongside someone who takes opposing attention away from his linemates and would allow Dowd and Leason to be more effective. Since the Jets wouldn't likely spring for Eller anyway since their contending window is pretty much shut, this seems more realistic.

The salary cap has all but been confirmed to only go up by 1 mil for the next couple years, as limitation of fans throughout the year has messed with the escrow. Kuemper would be going to his age 32 season, and since age affects goaltenders more than other positions, it would be a risk to sign him for that much money when he isn't exactly a super durable goalie. I've already enumerated the reason Samsonov is fine above, and the Issue from this team hasn't been goaltending. I will agree that there is a strong argument for Holtby being at fault for 2020, but 2019 was simply a case of an underrated team going on a run, and the Capitals flat out win that series if Oshie isn't cheap-shotted (or if it is properly penalized), and Samsonov was quality in the 2021 playoffs, except for one gaffe in overtime. 2021 was a case of massive injuries (Ovechkin, Backstrom, Carlson, and others were nursing injuries, and Vanecek went out mid-series). The roster, meanwhile, has half of the defense up for contracts without a piece that's super easy to allow to walk. Orlov, Alexeyev, Johansen, van Riemsdyk, Jensen, and Fehervary will all need new contracts next year, and with the cap likely only going up by a million, it doesn't allow for wiggle room that is necessary to bring back guys who will want a pay raise like Fehervary.

but "you have horrible takes" is a great argument, keep it up smile
Bobcat205 and capsleafs447 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll