Forums/Armchair-GM

How does the value of the trades and re-signings look

Created by: CaptainTavares
Team: 2022-23 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: May 24, 2022
Published: May 25, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Just checking on the value of two trades and some resignings for the leafs. Looking for constructive feedback and discussion from both sides of the deals.

Kerfoot Trade:
I think that the leafs can reassign Kerfoots salary elsewhere as a way to shake up the forward group. The leafs love his versatility and he is coming off a good season, but I am thinking it is unlikely he is offered an extension, so the best move would be to trade him in the offseason for either pick(s) or more preferably a hockey type trade to help the team next season. I think Kerfoot could fetch a mid to late second round pick in a trade with the season he just had...I have seen other ACGMs which agree with this as well.
In this trade, it totally hinges on Ducks and Comtois looking for a change of scenery after a down season and the Ducks feel he is not part of their rebuild going forward. I am not suggesting the Ducks are interested in dealing Comtois at all, but I assume the player would not be untouchable. In this deal, the leafs send Kerfoot, 2023 3rd and a decent prospect (SDA) for Comtois. Kerfoot had a much better season then Comtois, but due to the fact that Comtois is still just 23 (one year until RFA) with potential to improve, the leafs would need to add to get the deal done.
The Leafs get a player who fits the age range of their core, who is responsible in all three zones and to me is built for playoff hockey, while saving themselves some cap space. The Ducks get a 3rd and a propsect towards their rebuild, and a player on an expiring contract who they can trade for more assets at the 2023 deadline (Kerfoot could easily fetch a 2nd round pick or even more with another good season at the deadline) or even sign to an extension as they will need some players with experience to supplement their young core.
How is the value on the deal? Is the package enough from the leafs end? Better prospect?

Holl Trade:
I have seen many Holl proposals on here recently, the value is ranging from a 3rd round pick to a 6th round pick for the most part, with trolls suggesting the leafs would have to attach an asset to him in a trade (which is nonsense, a bottom pairing D who can kill penalties with a 2M cap hit will have a trade market). I think he could fetch a fourth in 2023 or a fifth in 2022 if traded before the draft, and I saw a Philly fan on this site propose Holl to the flyers for a 2023 4th and a prospect. Instead of getting the propect as well, how about just a 2023 3rd? Too much from acquiring team? Any team lacking defensive depth would be willing to add a veteran D that kills penalties with experience in the top 4 for the right price.

Resignings:
Soup resigns with the leafs on a three or four year deal with a 4.25 cap hit, leafs would prefer three but may have to include the fourth to lower the cap number.
Engvall gets a 2 year deal with a 500K raise.
Spezza comes back for one last season as the 13th forward on league min salary.
Both Sandin and Liljegren sign 2 year bridge deals at 1.25 mil that still keeps them as RFAs at the end of the deal (same deal that Engvall signed coming out of his ELC). Would the cap hit be high enough? I would assume a salary of just under a million on a one year deal, so the extra year brings the cap hit up.

Let me know your thoughts, cheers (not a finished team, other deals would have to be made as well - just checking on the value of what I have proposed so far).
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,750,000
2$1,250,000
2$1,250,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$4,250,000
1$775,000
Trades
TOR
  1. 2023 3rd round pick (FLA)
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
21$82,500,000$80,514,783$212,500$0$1,985,217
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$950,000$950,000
LW
UFA - 1
$11,640,250$11,640,250
C
UFA - 2
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
UFA - 3
Logo of the Anaheim Ducks
$2,037,500$2,037,500
LW
RFA - 1
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 3
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 2
$796,667$796,667
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$1,500,000$1,500,000
C
UFA - 1
$1,750,000$1,750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$762,500$762,500
LW
UFA - 2
$850,000$850,000
LW, C
RFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
C, RW
UFA
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,500,000$7,500,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 8
$4,250,000$4,250,000
G
UFA - 5
$800,000$800,000
LD
UFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
NTC
UFA - 2
$3,800,000$3,800,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$5,625,000$5,625,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 2
$1,250,000$1,250,000
RD
RFA - 2
$1,250,000$1,250,000
LD
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 25, 2022 at 8:00 a.m.
Not sure Anaheim will want to move on from comtois just yet
CaptainTavares, GeneralLandro, Hammerwise and 1 other person liked this.
May 25, 2022 at 8:01 a.m.
retired
the value in both trades is good imo

signing campbell to that would be a mistake

i think sandin and lilegren make more. likely around $2m or more.
CaptainTavares and Hammerwise liked this.
May 25, 2022 at 8:06 a.m.
Quoting: jet11567

I hear you for sure. I think Ducks would be more inclined to keep him as well and see if he bounces back next season.
OldNYIfan liked this.
May 25, 2022 at 8:11 a.m.
Quoting: DirtyDangle

The value seems fair to me as well.

I can definitely see your point on Campbell, it would be a huge risk. Unfortunately, I think the leafs are really backed into a corner with Campbell...if they don't sign him, what else can they do in goal? Not often you see starting goalies get traded.

I think 2M may be a little rich on a two year deal for Sandin/Liljegren. Both were not everyday players last year, Sandin was scratched the entire playoff round and Liljegren was scratched late. On a three year deal, I can definitely see 2M coming out of their ELCs, but not on a 2 year deal...but who knows. Wouldn't want to leave them vulnerable to an offer sheet either, as rare as they are.

Thanks for the feedback.
May 25, 2022 at 8:15 a.m.
Quoting: jet11567

Absolutely correct
CaptainTavares and OldNYIfan liked this.
May 25, 2022 at 8:24 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Seems crazy to trade Holl, and then not have a 7th Dman. You could save 2m cap by a buying out Mrzarek at 1m X 4 years and playing 750,000 Kallgren . Then you have enough cap to keep Kerfoot, who might be needed at centre some time. That's a 22 man roster, and. probably better. 4.25m probably doesn't resign Campbell though
OldNYIfan liked this.
May 25, 2022 at 8:32 a.m.
Edited May 25, 2022 at 8:41 a.m.
Quoting: CaptainTavares
The value seems fair to me as well.

I can definitely see your point on Campbell, it would be a huge risk. Unfortunately, I think the leafs are really backed into a corner with Campbell...if they don't sign him, what else can they do in goal? Not often you see starting goalies get traded.

I think 2M may be a little rich on a two year deal for Sandin/Liljegren. Both were not everyday players last year, Sandin was scratched the entire playoff round and Liljegren was scratched late. On a three year deal, I can definitely see 2M coming out of their ELCs, but not on a 2 year deal...but who knows. Wouldn't want to leave them vulnerable to an offer sheet either, as rare as they are.

Thanks for the feedback.

The Leafs can probably sign them for something low like that, I think though they will give them the raise they think they deserve (or a discount on it) in exchange for more term. I would be surprised if they get 2m+ and it isnt on a 4 year deal for Sandin and 3 for Liljegren

The Leafs aren't vulnerable to an offersheet just yet (unless there is a team willing to pay them 3m-4.1m but would probably have to be a better team or a team with more opportunity for them to play), they probably qualify them and see what they can get in FA, then see how much/how long they want to sign them. If they are willing to take 3 year contracts under 2m then expect to see them signed before then
CaptainTavares liked this.
May 25, 2022 at 8:35 a.m.
Quoting: palhal
Seems crazy to trade Holl, and then not have a 7th Dman. You could save 2m cap by a buying out Mrzarek at 1m X 4 years and playing 750,000 Kallgren . Then you have enough cap to keep Kerfoot, who might be needed at centre some time. That's a 22 man roster, and. probably better. 4.25m probably doesn't resign Campbell though

As listed in the description, this is not a full roster, there would need to be other moves made before the season started. I was just checking on the value of what I proposed before a final roster.

The leafs in no way shape or form should start the season with Clifford and/or Simmonds on the roster, I think Clifford is defintely a Marlie and if they cannot find an opportunity for Simmonds elsewhere, he will be buried in the minors as well, as the leafs can send him down and save his entire cap hit if not claimed on waivers. Abruzzese also starts the year with the Marlies I would think.

Mrazek buyout is defintely an option, but would cost more then the 1M as you suggest. It would be a shade over 1M next season, 833K in year 2, followed by 1.433M in years 3 and 4. i think they will push to find a trade partner and pay an asset (such as their 2024 second round pick) to move him, as the year 3 and 4 of the buyout would be highly problematic for a cap strapped team. Kallgren to me is not ready for backup duty, needs some time with the Marlies.

Paying 2M for a 7th D is not good cap management imo, they can make better use of that space and have a 7th D with a lower cap hit. I don't think Holl is on the roster this fall, but who knows.

Thanks for the feedback.
May 25, 2022 at 8:44 a.m.

I'm not sure what the problem is with 4.25 x3 for Campbell. Based on the goalie market, I think think this is solid value without having to go long term.
Not sure there are any goalies that are definite upgrades, are making less $, & would be available.

I don't see the overall value in trading Holl. $2m for a bottom pairing guy that plays PK is still good value. But otherwise a middle pick is fine for trade value.
May 25, 2022 at 8:49 a.m.
retired
Quoting: TML_Bias
I'm not sure what the problem is with 4.25 x3 for Campbell. Based on the goalie market, I think think this is solid value without having to go long term.
Not sure there are any goalies that are definite upgrades, are making less $, & would be available.

I don't see the overall value in trading Holl. $2m for a bottom pairing guy that plays PK is still good value. But otherwise a middle pick is fine for trade value.

$4m is too much for a backup/1b goalie imo but the leafs should absolutely keep the term short.

leafs need to cut costs and holl is a good place to start. a 3rd seems fair.
May 25, 2022 at 8:50 a.m.
If they buyout Mrazek (trading him would be better of course) , move out Holl and Kerfoot's contracts (for ELC/unsigned RFAs/picks), and make the signings you did, that would give them some nice room to pursue a couple of untendered RFAs that might bring similar or better value than Comtois. They can pursue him after unless he gets moved at the draft
May 25, 2022 at 8:58 a.m.
$4m is too much for a backup/1b goalie imo but the leafs should absolutely keep the term short.

Campbell was the 1A (going into the season the role waa up for grabs). He would be a regular starter if he could handle more games but with the risk of games being delayed, teams probably want a capable back up even if they have an elite goalie. The Leafs will likely try getting Campbell for cheaper and acquire someone else to play as backup or give a guy like Fleury a chance to take the starting job but I don't think he will be interested.

I expect them to spend 5m-6m on goaltending next season if not lower, up to 7.5m if they acquire a 6m+ starter
May 25, 2022 at 8:59 a.m.
Agree with most on here, I think ANA would require a bit more to part with Comtois and Liljegren/Sandin probably take more, I'd say 1.5mil more, which leaves you with just 19 skaters. That 3rd line might have some issues adding any scoring, and that 4th line is going to be very physical, but slow and offensively unable.

19 skaters, no 7th dman and that 4th line is pretty diabolical. Its not really looking like a better lineup than 21-22.

But unlike others, getting rid of Mrazek some way only works if you get a capable backup. I dont think Kalgren (25 yrs old, 3.31 GAA and only .888 save pctg) get it done.
May 25, 2022 at 9:04 a.m.
Quoting: GMBL
The Leafs can probably sign them for something low like that, I think though they will give them the raise they think they deserve (or a discount on it) in exchange for more term. I would be surprised if they get 2m+ and it isnt on a 4 year deal for Sandin and 3 for Liljegren

The Leafs aren't vulnerable to an offersheet just yet (unless there is a team willing to pay them 3m-4.1m but would probably have to be a better team or a team with more opportunity for them to play), they probably qualify them and see what they can get in FA, then see how much/how long they want to sign them. If they are willing to take 3 year contracts under 2m then expect to see them signed before then

I agree with that for sure. I don't think they approach 2M cap hit with either Sandin or Lily unless its a minimum three year term. Maybe bump the hit up to 1.5ish on a 2 year deal.
May 25, 2022 at 9:08 a.m.

Holl is defintely moved in a cost cutting trade I agree. Campbell's injury history and lack of experience as a 1A goalie would keep his term short I would think. He is also already 30 and had a rough stretch in the second half, which will not help his negotiating power.
May 25, 2022 at 9:11 a.m.
Quoting: Hammerwise
Agree with most on here, I think ANA would require a bit more to part with Comtois and Liljegren/Sandin probably take more, I'd say 1.5mil more, which leaves you with just 19 skaters. That 3rd line might have some issues adding any scoring, and that 4th line is going to be very physical, but slow and offensively unable.

19 skaters, no 7th dman and that 4th line is pretty diabolical. Its not really looking like a better lineup than 21-22.

But unlike others, getting rid of Mrazek some way only works if you get a capable backup. I dont think Kalgren (25 yrs old, 3.31 GAA and only .888 save pctg) get it done.

As stated in the description and my post above to palhal, this is not a full roster. It was just checking on value of some moves before a full roster was created. Simmonds, Clifford and Abruzzese are Marlies next year imo, and Mrazek will be either traded or bought out before next season.
May 25, 2022 at 9:13 a.m.
Quoting: GMBL
If they buyout Mrazek (trading him would be better of course) , move out Holl and Kerfoot's contracts (for ELC/unsigned RFAs/picks), and make the signings you did, that would give them some nice room to pursue a couple of untendered RFAs that might bring similar or better value than Comtois. They can pursue him after unless he gets moved at the draft

Some untendered RFAs could work for sure, maybe even pursue a UFA or two such as Nick Paul, Nick Cousins or Rielly Smith if the price is right and theit market is not too crazy.
May 25, 2022 at 9:21 a.m.
Quoting: CaptainTavares
As stated in the description and my post above to palhal, this is not a full roster. It was just checking on value of some moves before a full roster was created. Simmonds, Clifford and Abruzzese are Marlies next year imo, and Mrazek will be either traded or bought out before next season.

I guess, but collectively those "Marlie" players make very little, so its of real interest as to how you upgrade or who you play there.

The values arent off by much, but when you're that close to the cap, you do have to see what/who is there to see if it works.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll