SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Mock-Draft

Arizona Coyotes Big Board

Arizona Coyotes Big Board

Draft Class: 2022
Created By: BruinsFan35
Published: Jun. 3, 2022 at 4:59 p.m.
Description
My plan is to make a big board for each team prior to the draft, looking at guys who's abilities would match up well with what the team in question should be looking for on draft night. I'm using my Draft Guide for the rankings, and the goal is to select multiple players within the range of each teams' selections that they should consider. These players are ranked by my ranking numerically, not necessarily who the team should value first, second, third, etc. at that spot (hopefully that makes sense). The plan is to provide explanations for the first round picks for every team, then just provide the list for rounds 2-7. If you want clarification on a specific player, comment and I'll provide it.

Seeing as I've already done the Ducks, Arizona is the next team. After looking at their team, I've determined that the three main player types I'm looking to add for them will be:

Right-Shot Defense
Goaltender
Skilled Wingers
ROUND 1TEAMORIGINALPLAYERDETAILS
1Logo of the Montreal Canadiens-
First Pick
#3 Overall
2Logo of the New Jersey Devils-My Ranking: #4. Nemec, in my mind, is the #1 Defenseman in the draft class, and fills the Coyotes desperate need for a #1 Right-shot defender. Nemec brings the entire package that teams should be looking for in a future staple of the top pair: elite hockey IQ, strong skater, good size, and solid in his own end. He needs to speed up his decision making, especially when making breakout passes. He will need a year or so to develop, but he should soon be the pair with Jakob Chychrun that could bring the Yotes into the playoff picture.
3Logo of the Arizona Coyotes-My Ranking: #5. Kemell, despite trailing off in production in the second half of the year, had an unbelievable season against men in one of the best European leagues, the Finnish Liiga. Kemell brings the entire offensive package: speed, puck skills, an elite shot, and advanced playmaking skills that I think get overshadowed by his other talents. He needs to clean up his defensive game, as he is often found out of position and lost when on defense. But, his dynamic offensive abilities could land him a Day 1 spot on the Coyotes roster out of camp, and given the proper development, could be the future face of the team.
4Logo of the Seattle Kraken-My Ranking: #6. Juraj Slafkovsky will probably not make it to the 3rd overall pick, given how well he's tested at the Combine and how well he's performed against professionals in various tournaments this season. However, should he make it beyond the Devils and the Habs, the Coyotes might decide to scoop up the giant winger, and what a pick it would be. He reminds me of prime Geno Malkin: big guy who's not overly fast, but strong on the stick and the skates, isn't afraid to get into the dirty areas, and is an elite playmaker. He needs to provide the same effort on the back check that he does on the forecheck, but other than that, there is no evidence to suggest that Slafkovsky is too far away from being an NHL-ready player out of the draft.
5Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers-My Ranking: #10. The only reason that Jiricek would be taken here is if the Rotes value him over Nemec, which isn't unlikely. Jiricek is a strong three-zone defender with elite skating and a booming shot. But, there is injury concern with this prospect, so caution should be taken. Still, the skills are more than enough to get excited about this kid, and the Coyotes just might consider him at third overall.
6Logo of the Columbus Blue JacketsLogo of the Chicago Blackhawks
Second and Third Picks
#27 and #32 Overall
7Logo of the Ottawa Senators-My Ranking: #20. Dumais is bound to drop a little, with his small frame and his overall lack of physicality. However, his end of the season was unmatched in terms of elite offensive ability, and he showcased why he needs to be taken off the board as early as the mid first round. Johnny Gaudreau saw a lot of success this season in the NHL, and smaller NHLers have continually found success at the NHL level. Dumais may be the next one to become a game changer for his team. And for a team like the Coyotes, who need more firepower, Dumais seems like a perfect fit.
8Logo of the Detroit Red Wings-My Ranking: #22. Ohgren, I think, had an underrated offensive season, putting up over 1 goal per game and nearly 2ppg in Sweden's top Under-20 league. His playmaking, shot, and skating abilities is what stuck out to me the most, and I believe that he could provide the full offensive package to an NHL team, provided that they give him time to develop.
9Logo of the Buffalo Sabres-My Ranking: #24. Chesley, a purely defensive defender, would work very well alongside JJ Moser on that Middle Defensive pair for the Yotes. Very well-rounded game, not many flaws suggest that he won't find NHL ice time sooner rather than later, which is a quality that a team like the coyotes should appreciate.
10Logo of the Anaheim Ducks-My Ranking: #28. Luneau, formerly a projected top pick, has a lot of translatable qualities that makes me think that he'll be a very good NHL defender in a few years. Strong skater, poised defender, and plays the game hard and smart whenever he's on the ice. He tends to get beat 1-on-1 when the forward turns him, as his first-step acceleration is below average. Other than that, Luneau is a great prospect, and should be able to anchor a middle pair in the future.
11Logo of the San Jose Sharks-My Ranking: #30. Not only is his name cool, but Jagger Firkus brings a type of game that would make him an instant fan-favorite, with his elite handling ability, surprisingly hard and deadly accurate shot, and an ability to make any defender look silly 1-on-1. He's a bit on the small side at 5'10", 154, but given time to develop and bulk up, Firkus should be a great second line forward at the NHL level, which could go a long way for the Coyotes.
12Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets-My Ranking: #33. Ostlund, the first center that I've put on the Yotes board, brings a full package that teams should value in a prospect. Defensive abilities, smooth skating, elite playmaking, and a strong work ethic. Given time to get stronger, Ostlund could prove to be one of the better players in this class, and should be a great addition at the end of the first round.
13Logo of the New York Islanders-
Secon Round
#34, #36, #43, and #45 Overall
14Logo of the Winnipeg Jets-My Ranking: #35
15Logo of the Vancouver Canucks-My Ranking: #37
16Logo of the Buffalo SabresLogo of the Vegas Golden KnightsMy Ranking: #38
17Logo of the Nashville Predators-My Ranking: #42
18Logo of the Dallas Stars-My Ranking: #43
19Logo of the Los Angeles Kings-
Lucas Edmonds
My Ranking: #47
20Logo of the Washington Capitals-
Third Round
#67 overall
21Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins-My Ranking: #66
22Logo of the Anaheim DucksLogo of the Boston BruinsMy Ranking: #67
23Logo of the St. Louis Blues-My Ranking: #68
24Logo of the Minnesota Wild-My Ranking: #69
25Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs-My Ranking: #74
26Logo of the Montreal CanadiensLogo of the Calgary Flames
Fifth Round
#131 Overall
27Logo of the Arizona CoyotesLogo of the Carolina HurricanesMy Ranking: #128
28Logo of the Buffalo SabresLogo of the Florida PanthersMy Ranking: #129
29Logo of the Winnipeg JetsLogo of the New York RangersMy Ranking: #133
30Logo of the Edmonton Oilers-My Ranking: #135
31Logo of the Tampa Bay Lightning-My Ranking: #138
32Logo of the Arizona CoyotesLogo of the Colorado AvalancheMy Ranking: #139
ROUND 2TEAMORIGINALPLAYERDETAILS
33Logo of the Montreal Canadiens-
Sixth Round
#163 Overall
34Logo of the Arizona Coyotes-My Ranking: #160
35Logo of the Seattle Kraken-My Ranking: #161
36Logo of the Arizona CoyotesLogo of the Philadelphia Flyers
Brett Brochu
My Ranking: #163
37Logo of the New Jersey Devils-My Ranking: #164
38Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks-My Ranking: #168
39Logo of the Ottawa Senators-My Ranking: #172
40Logo of the Detroit Red Wings-
41Logo of the Buffalo Sabres-
42Logo of the Anaheim Ducks-
43Logo of the Arizona CoyotesLogo of the San Jose Sharks
44Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets-
45Logo of the Arizona CoyotesLogo of the New York Islanders
46Logo of the Washington CapitalsLogo of the Winnipeg Jets
47Logo of the Minnesota WildLogo of the Vancouver Canucks
48Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights-
49Logo of the Seattle KrakenLogo of the Nashville Predators
50Logo of the Dallas Stars-
51Logo of the Los Angeles Kings-
52Logo of the Detroit Red WingsLogo of the Washington Capitals
53Logo of the Anaheim DucksLogo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
54Logo of the Boston Bruins-
55Logo of the Winnipeg JetsLogo of the St. Louis Blues
56Logo of the Minnesota Wild-
57Logo of the Chicago BlackhawksLogo of the Minnesota Wild
58Logo of the Seattle KrakenLogo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
59Logo of the Calgary Flames-
60Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes-
61Logo of the Seattle KrakenLogo of the Florida Panthers
62Logo of the New York Rangers-
63Logo of the Ottawa SenatorsLogo of the Tampa Bay Lightning
64Logo of the Montreal CanadiensLogo of the Edmonton Oilers
65Logo of the New York IslandersLogo of the Colorado Avalanche
Jun. 3, 2022 at 6:37 p.m.
SHL NJD GM
Imo, Arizona should just go BPA everywhere, wayyyy too many holes, same for Seattle, they need everything
BruinsFan35 liked this.
Jun. 3, 2022 at 7:53 p.m.
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
Imo, Arizona should just go BPA everywhere, wayyyy too many holes, same for Seattle, they need everything

They have some solid youth tho in some positions. Keller and Guenther on the left side (I know Guenther could play RW too but he's more effective on the left from what I've watched). Chychrun, JJ Moser, and Vlad Kolyachonok on LD. Vejmelka could be a solid backup. Hayton, McBain, and Josh Doan (who could also play RW) at Center.

BUT, aside from Soderstrom, who's potential I'm beginning to doubt, the Coyotes have 0 long-term RD options. They'll also need a future starter, or at least someone who can split time with Vejmelka. Lastly, they need firepower, which is why I targeted specifically skilled forwards, particularly those on the wing. Later rounds, BPA is what every team should do for the most part. But early on, up until round 3-4, take guys who fit a need, provided that you aren't taking someone waaaay off of the board.
Jun. 3, 2022 at 10:40 p.m.
Arizona needs a 1C. If they are picking #3, Cooley should be no brainer (maybe easiest pick they will have)
Jun. 4, 2022 at 12:13 a.m.
I think it comes to Nemec/Jiricek at no. 3 and at no. 4 SEA selects the other of the two. Neither of the two is ready for more than 9 NHL games next season. It makes sense for both ARI and SEA to select D-man, because both teams should also have high picks in 2023 draft (Bedard, Michkov, Fantilli...). 2023 draft shouldn't have many top D-men to choose from.

At this stage it makes sense they would load on defense in 2022 and on forwards in 2023. D-men take longer to make impact. So ARI could again compete for playoffs in season 2024/25.

I expect ARI to move up the board at least once, more likely more than that. There also isn't enough roster spots for all new faces to make the team at once.
Jun. 4, 2022 at 2:02 a.m.
True Reverse Retro
If he's still on the board, it makes more sense for Arizona to draft Miroshnichenko with one of their late 1sts than it does for any other team. Arizona has the draft capital to spend a pick on a high-risk/high-reward kind of gamble. If he pays off, you got arguably a top-5 pick in the late 20's. If he doesn't pan out, you have 6 other picks in the first 2 rounds to mitigate the Miroshnichenko pick.
CEO liked this.
Jun. 4, 2022 at 5:22 p.m.
chibrikov is a steal
Quoting: TheMooterus
If he's still on the board, it makes more sense for Arizona to draft Miroshnichenko with one of their late 1sts than it does for any other team. Arizona has the draft capital to spend a pick on a high-risk/high-reward kind of gamble. If he pays off, you got arguably a top-5 pick in the late 20's. If he doesn't pan out, you have 6 other picks in the first 2 rounds to mitigate the Miroshnichenko pick.

Instead of Miro, I actually think the Yotes will take Tucker Robertson. The Moser pick has paid off for them, so why not try again why Robertson?

Though I also agree with your point, Miro would be a good pick. I just like Robertson more, but that's my opinion.
Jun. 4, 2022 at 6:33 p.m.
Quoting: TheMooterus

I'd do it at 34th overall, since I don't think Montreal would do it

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll