Forums/Armchair-GM

Oh No They Spiked Lous Coffee

Created by: dannibalcorpse
Team: 2022-23 New York Islanders
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 7, 2022
Published: Jul. 7, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
This is wayyyy more activity than I'd ever expect out of a Lamoriello-helmed team but it's fun to think about different ways to move players, and I love trying new things and getting new fanbases' opinions (usually they hate it!)

TRADES
-Beau/2nd for Girard works for both teams, IMO. Colorado will have a logjam at LD in the next year or so, with Toews & Byram needing new deals soon, and Girard being the most movable player. They're also potentially losing a lot of forwards after winning a Cup, so moving from their strength to get a young, speedy winger they can coach up with a moderate cap hit is a deal that works for both sides - Isles add because Girard is the better player.

-Detroit needs a better goalie tandem than Ned/Greiss - let's throw them Varly for a year to help stabilize that position and see if they can make a decent run with their young core and some solid goaltending. Worst case, the team still isn't there yet and they eat some money on Varly's deal to recoup that 2nd + more at the TDL.

-Vegas has Robin Lehner & Logan Thompson and is happy enough to move Brossoit's $2.325M that they throw in a 3rd. Isles give them a player they've moved on from to see if they can deal with him.

-Rumor has it that Chicago doesn't want to qualify Kubalik? Isles give them a pick to help get Bailey off their books and the Hawks send back the negotiating rights to a player they're not moving forward with. This is a tough one to gauge value on because it's a dump/favor kind of trade so if the price gets too much, the Isles just find another path to getting Bailey out the door.

-Panik to somewhere he can play every day. He's a decent player and with Detroit already eating 50%, I feel like an Arizona would be happy to give him 12-14 minutes a night to see if he can rebuild some value and get them a pick back at the deadline.

SIGNINGS
-Good think Colorado picked up Beau cuz we're gonna sign Nichushkin to 6x$6M. He's a very good 2-way player who I feel like will be great on a line with Brock Nelson.

-We still need a solid LD3 and Ian Cole is a good fit here. There's a few guys that probably fit in that price range/skill set so change the name as you see fit.

-I like Nick Bjugstad as a depth flyer. I'll always go back to my 4th line cycle - Cizikas should always center that line this year, but Bellows/Martin/Clutterbuck/Bjugstad should all get some run on those wings to keep everyone fresh and ready to go for the playoffs.

ROAST AWAY BABIES
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$825,000
2$4,500,000
2$900,000
2$800,000
2$800,000
2$800,000
2$3,800,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$800,000
6$6,000,000
2$850,000
2$2,000,000
1$1,000,000
Trades
COL
  1. Beauvillier, Anthony
  2. 2023 2nd round pick (NYI)
NYI
  1. 2023 2nd round pick (STL)
NYI
  1. Brossoit, Laurent
  2. 2023 3rd round pick (BUF)
NYI
  1. Kubalik, Dominik [RFA Rights]
CHI
  1. Bailey, Josh
  2. 2024 3rd round pick (NYI)
NYI
  1. Krysanov, Anton [Reserve List]
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the STL
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$82,500,000$81,339,963$245,796$1,287,500$1,160,037

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the New York Islanders
$7,000,000$7,000,000
LW
NTC
UFA - 4
$7,000,000$7,000,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 8
$6,000,000$6,000,000
C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$537,500$538K)
RW
RFA - 1
$750,000$750,000 (Performance Bonus$750,000$750K)
LW
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$3,800,000$3,800,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$825,000$825,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$2,500,000$2,500,000
C
UFA - 5
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RW, LW
NTC
UFA - 3
$1,750,000$1,750,000
RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,750,000$5,750,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 7
$6,150,000$6,150,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 8
$4,000,000$4,000,000
G
UFA - 2
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
RFA - 3
$1,450,000$1,450,000
RD
UFA - 1
Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights
$2,325,000$2,325,000
G
UFA - 1
Logo of the Colorado Avalanche
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
UFA - 5
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$900,000$900,000
LD
UFA - 2
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
C, RW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jul. 7, 2022 at 12:35 p.m.
Value for Varlamov is ok. He does have a 16 team no trade list. I'm fairly confident Detroit is on that list.
Jul. 7, 2022 at 12:39 p.m.
we miss leo k
Quoting: Old_Snowman
Value for Varlamov is ok. He does have a 16 team no trade list. I'm fairly confident Detroit is on that list.

It's so tough to figure out because like, *nothing* leaks out of a Lou Lamoriello org.

In my eyes, I feel very confident that the 7 Canadian teams & Arizona are on it based on prior speculations from this year's TDL (8 teams down, 8 to go).

It gets tough after that though - I think Detroit being on it is a literal coin flip.
Jul. 7, 2022 at 12:42 p.m.
Representing the 505
Value for Girard is okay but I don't think he gets dealt this year, if ever.
dannibalcorpse liked this.
Jul. 7, 2022 at 12:44 p.m.
I'd be good with this, Lou better not trade the 1st rd pick
Jul. 7, 2022 at 12:46 p.m.
Hockeytown!
Detroit won't touch Varlamov and his salary if they give up anything, let alone a 2nd. Now if you'd have said that Detroit would GET a 2nd in the deal for taking Varlamov and the Islanders would get a 4th or 5th that might be a possibility. SY is not going to take on your 5 million and lose an asset and it's doubtful Varlamov would even approve the deal in the first place. It's just never going to happen.
Jul. 7, 2022 at 12:48 p.m.
we miss leo k
Quoting: NMAvsFan
Value for Girard is okay but I don't think he gets dealt this year, if ever.

The Avs offseason is going to be fascinating to me, because they have *so many* guys going UFA and are going to need to figure out who stays, who goes, and how much everyone gets paid. I wouldn't be surprised to see someone like Girard moved if Burakovsky/Nichushkin/Kadri all sign elsewhere and they want to bring some forward depth back in, but I could also see what you're saying in them hanging on to him.
Jul. 7, 2022 at 12:49 p.m.
Both the avs components dont really make sense to their team make up, Nuke is a better fit than Beau, so why would they downgrade the fwd position and move Girard out in the process, its easier to just sign Nuke to his deal and keep Girard.

all this to net a 2nd round pick, and make the top 6 weaker and potentially their D core as they still need to replace girard....not an ideal set of moves by the Avs
Jul. 7, 2022 at 12:53 p.m.
we miss leo k
Quoting: HockeyNerdDetroit
Detroit won't touch Varlamov and his salary if they give up anything, let alone a 2nd. Now if you'd have said that Detroit would GET a 2nd in the deal for taking Varlamov and the Islanders would get a 4th or 5th that might be a possibility. SY is not going to take on your 5 million and lose an asset and it's doubtful Varlamov would even approve the deal in the first place. It's just never going to happen.

Varly's not a cap dump, though - I can understand if you think Detroit doesn't need goaltending help, but even in a year where he was coming off surgery with a short offseason and no preseason, he still had above-average numbers (.911 SV%, 2.91 GAA, 4.0 GSAA) in his 29 starts. Colorado just traded a solid D prospect, a 1st, and a 3rd for Darcy Kuemper last summer when he was coming off a year with worse numbers, so there's a very recent trade you can point to and show what Varlamov can bring back in a deal. The UFA goalie class falls of a cliff real fast after MAF/Kuemper/Campbell so someone in need of a solid starter/1B will pony up good value if the Isles make Varly available.
Jul. 7, 2022 at 12:56 p.m.
Lets Get Kraken
If Nuke walks, he is likely signing for 7+mil after his playoff performance. During the season I would have agreed on a 6mil price tag, but now I think it’s at least 7. And a team will give him that. Just a matter of which team.
Jul. 7, 2022 at 12:58 p.m.
we miss leo k
Quoting: evelutions2
If Nuke walks, he is likely signing for 7+mil after his playoff performance. During the season I would have agreed on a 6mil price tag, but now I think it’s at least 7. And a team will give him that. Just a matter of which team.

I'd go 5x$7M in a heartbeat but for some reason 6x$7M makes me a little more squeamish - if I'm negotiating that deal and year 6 is the sticking point, I'd give in by asking for no NTC on years 5/6 (i assume whatever deal he signs will have some sort of NMC/NTC included.)
Jul. 7, 2022 at 1:02 p.m.
we miss leo k
Quoting: coga16
Both the avs components dont really make sense to their team make up, Nuke is a better fit than Beau, so why would they downgrade the fwd position and move Girard out in the process, its easier to just sign Nuke to his deal and keep Girard.

all this to net a 2nd round pick, and make the top 6 weaker and potentially their D core as they still need to replace girard....not an ideal set of moves by the Avs

Like I said upthread, the Avs are going to be fascinating to watch this offseason. Nuke/Kadri/Bura/Kuemper all UFA, Lehkonen needing an RFA raise. We all know Cup winning UFAs command a premium so I could see a summer where Colorado has to pass on some guys and still needs to move some cap to keep the guys they need to. LD is a position of strength for them, and if they lose Nuke/Bura they'll need middle 6 wingers. So while I don't think you're wrong at all with this assessment, I still see this deal as the type of move Sakic would make (and I assume Beau immediately turns into a 30 goal scorer with the Avs.)
Jul. 7, 2022 at 1:08 p.m.
Quoting: dannibalcorpse
Like I said upthread, the Avs are going to be fascinating to watch this offseason. Nuke/Kadri/Bura/Kuemper all UFA, Lehkonen needing an RFA raise. We all know Cup winning UFAs command a premium so I could see a summer where Colorado has to pass on some guys and still needs to move some cap to keep the guys they need to. LD is a position of strength for them, and if they lose Nuke/Bura they'll need middle 6 wingers. So while I don't think you're wrong at all with this assessment, I still see this deal as the type of move Sakic would make (and I assume Beau immediately turns into a 30 goal scorer with the Avs.)

Burakovsky is goign to market, same as Kuemper. Lehkonen as an RFA is a no brainer they can easily keep. Kadri and Nuke are the guys they will work on keeping. Especially Nichushkin, they stated even before the end of the finals that he was a priority of theirs to keep. They really don't need middle 6 wingers. They have Meyers, Compher, Newhook, NAK, LOC, Cogliano already on the roster to fill out their bottom 6. Lehkonen Landy and Rantanen are their top 6 wingers. Really is 1 top 6 winger in question and thats Nuke.

Trading a Top 4 Dman in Girard for a Middle 6 winger isnt really a great use of the asset.
Jul. 7, 2022 at 1:09 p.m.
Hockeytown!
Varly's not a cap dump, though - I can understand if you think Detroit doesn't need goaltending help, but even in a year where he was coming off surgery with a short offseason and no preseason, he still had above-average numbers (.911 SV%, 2.91 GAA, 4.0 GSAA) in his 29 starts. Colorado just traded a solid D prospect, a 1st, and a 3rd for Darcy Kuemper last summer when he was coming off a year with worse numbers, so there's a very recent trade you can point to and show what Varlamov can bring back in a deal. The UFA goalie class falls of a cliff real fast after MAF/Kuemper/Campbell so someone in need of a solid starter/1B will pony up good value if the Isles make Varly available.

Varlamov doen't fit in Detroit at all in the first place and there's no way SY goes for it unless Detroit is GETTING something else. Varlamov IS a cap dump to Detroit. They don't NEED a #1 like Colorado did so your comparison is moot as they already have their starter for now/future in Nedeljkovic. They will likely get a cheap vet to back him up until Sebastian Cossa is ready for the big time. I just don't think this is at all realistic because Detroit will not be interested.
Jul. 7, 2022 at 1:14 p.m.
we miss leo k
Quoting: coga16
Burakovsky is goign to market, same as Kuemper. Lehkonen as an RFA is a no brainer they can easily keep. Kadri and Nuke are the guys they will work on keeping. Especially Nichushkin, they stated even before the end of the finals that he was a priority of theirs to keep. They really don't need middle 6 wingers. They have Meyers, Compher, Newhook, NAK, LOC, Cogliano already on the roster to fill out their bottom 6. Lehkonen Landy and Rantanen are their top 6 wingers. Really is 1 top 6 winger in question and thats Nuke.

Trading a Top 4 Dman in Girard for a Middle 6 winger isnt really a great use of the asset.

Yeah, lot of what I said is moot now with Kuemper officially out and Georgiev in - not sure how I'd feel about that but you've gotta think that's ~$4M extra to play with for the forwards.

Wouldn't hate the Isles going after Burakovsky as well if he's 100% out the door and Nuke is more likely to stay. Would go about 5x$6M for him to play in the slot I have Nuke in up there.
Jul. 7, 2022 at 1:16 p.m.
Yeah, lot of what I said is moot now with Kuemper officially out and Georgiev in - not sure how I'd feel about that but you've gotta think that's ~$4M extra to play with for the forwards.

Wouldn't hate the Isles going after Burakovsky as well if he's 100% out the door and Nuke is more likely to stay. Would go about 5x$6M for him to play in the slot I have Nuke in up there.

I think nuke is 5m aav. the 6m offers feel silly to me, as elite defensively he is, this is his first year of good offensive production. I always compared him to Jared McCanns 5x5 deal as a comp. When Saad and Tofolli signed for 4.5m deals and have a longer consistent offensive track record compared to nuke, I j just cant see these 6m figures being realistic.

If a team offers him that, I cant fault him for leaving getting PAID.
Jul. 7, 2022 at 1:20 p.m.
we miss leo k
Quoting: HockeyNerdDetroit
Varlamov doen't fit in Detroit at all in the first place and there's no way SY goes for it unless Detroit is GETTING something else. Varlamov IS a cap dump to Detroit. They don't NEED a #1 like Colorado did so your comparison is moot as they already have their starter for now/future in Nedeljkovic. They will likely get a cheap vet to back him up until Sebastian Cossa is ready for the big time. I just don't think this is at all realistic because Detroit will not be interested.

My thinking was that getting another "cheap vet" basically rolls out the same team you had this year - Ned didn't really look ready for prime time (.901/3.31 GAA/-11.0 GSAA in 52 starts) and Thomas Greiss was cooked (.891/3.66/-13.7 in 28 starts). I don't think Detroit is going to be in on the MAF/Kuemper/Campbell/Ville Husso tier of goalies and it gets very bleak, very quick after that - we're talking the Martin Jones/Kevin Lankinen tier of dudes who struggled to get to .900.

Varlamov is much better than anyone outside that second tier (and arguably produces similar to the guys in the 1st tier) and there's something to be said for having competent goaltending, even if you're not really planning on contending. Giving up that late 2nd from St. Louis isn't a crazy price to pay for the opportunity to tighten up in net with a guy who won't be standing in the way of Cossa when he's ready, but again, to each their own on that. Varlamov will get that kind of return from some other team that misses out on their UFA goalie very easily.
Jul. 7, 2022 at 1:42 p.m.
Hockeytown!
My thinking was that getting another "cheap vet" basically rolls out the same team you had this year - Ned didn't really look ready for prime time (.901/3.31 GAA/-11.0 GSAA in 52 starts) and Thomas Greiss was cooked (.891/3.66/-13.7 in 28 starts). I don't think Detroit is going to be in on the MAF/Kuemper/Campbell/Ville Husso tier of goalies and it gets very bleak, very quick after that - we're talking the Martin Jones/Kevin Lankinen tier of dudes who struggled to get to .900.

Varlamov is much better than anyone outside that second tier (and arguably produces similar to the guys in the 1st tier) and there's something to be said for having competent goaltending, even if you're not really planning on contending. Giving up that late 2nd from St. Louis isn't a crazy price to pay for the opportunity to tighten up in net with a guy who won't be standing in the way of Cossa when he's ready, but again, to each their own on that. Varlamov will get that kind of return from some other team that misses out on their UFA goalie very easily.

If Varlamov gets the Isles a 2nd without eating salary and/or giving up another asset I will come back here and tell you I was wrong. I just don't see anybody in the league jumping to get Varly for that salary unless it's team like Arizona that has multiple reasons in that 1)They need a starter 2)They probably need a couple of these type of contracts to get floor compliant. Detroit is in a similar boat as of right now as far as the floor but I wouldn't be surprised to see them re-sign Hellberg (who they auditioned at the end of last season) or go with KHL vet Olkinuora (who they just signed) or 25 year old Vic Brattstrom, who they also just brought back on a minimal deal and showed promise with Grand Rapids last season. SY has to get a LH defenseman before he deals for a backup goalie and loses a pick. I think SY is more likely to trade an asset in order to get a veteran LH shot with a year or two left on a higher paying deal, but with gas left in the tank.
Jul. 7, 2022 at 3:12 p.m.
Representing the 505
Quoting: evelutions2

I disagree with $7M+ - that's getting him into Landeskog and Marchand range when his comps are more along the lines of Rust or Hyman. But he will get quite a raise, that's for sure.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll