Poll Options

Jul. 1, 2023 at 12:40 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
Matheson - Excelling as Montreal's #1 D, had some injury problems

Petry - Pittsburgh trying to dump him for nothing
Poehling - Not qualified, FA Bound

Quoting: Koskinen_

I think they are drafting Reinbacher with the 5th pick and he seems ready to step into an NHL lineup after playing professional hockey already. If the trade interest in Harris isnt there, I'd look to move Matheson/Xhekaj. The left is just too crowded and they need to get bigger up front. Boqvist in CBJ has to be available now with their influx of RHD, another option though not ideal with Adam's warts in his game. Anaheim/CBJ/ MTL could be very active leading up to the draft. Interesting times.

I like Matheson a lot. Anyone unafraid to make plays with the puck and can cover that much ice is a massive asset. I’d be curious what his value is in the market much like Anderson.

I rather they keep both tho especially now that Eddy is gone. Matheson can grow into a leadership role as well be the elder statesman in the next few years as Savard will be dealt by next years TDL to make room for Reinbacher/Mailloux/Barron on the right. Not convinced Mailloux is a solution tho but they have options on the bottom pair
MontysPython and pinslack liked this.
Jul. 24, 2023 at 10:45 p.m.
Player Model Maker
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
Steal for Pittsburgh, id much rather have Petry than Matheson, Petry may be more expensive but he’s better than Matheson and I don’t like the term on Matheson

yeesh of all yeeshes
Tintin liked this.
Jul. 27, 2023 at 9:21 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Mglgoalie33
yeesh of all yeeshes

Nobody thought Matheson would be this good tho
MontysPython, A_Habs_fan and CBA liked this.
Jul. 28, 2023 at 1:56 a.m.
Player Model Maker
Quoting: Koskinen_The_Great

I didn't think he'd be as bad as A_Habs_Fan highlighted. Atp I was way past done with Jeff Petry. Not a team player after that run.
Jul. 28, 2023 at 5:22 a.m.
WentWughes

His analytics are very similar to his in Pittsburgh. Many people thought Matheson would be this good.

Nobody thought Petry would be that bad (which is why people wanted a 1st +).
Aug. 6, 2023 at 1:07 p.m.
Banned
In conclusion.

Habs trade Pitlick (waiver pickup) Poehling (dumped by Pens) and a 4th for Matheson, 2nd, DeSmith and 25% retention on Petry's deal.

Unreal.
KSIxSKULLS liked this.
Aug. 6, 2023 at 1:11 p.m.
WentWughes
In conclusion.

Habs trade Pitlick (waiver pickup) Poehling (dumped by Pens) and a 4th for Matheson, 2nd, DeSmith and 25% retention on Petry's deal.

Unreal.

And we're likely going to get even more assets when we trade Petry (and Possibly DeSmith)
Aug. 6, 2023 at 2:30 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
And we're likely going to get even more assets when we trade Petry (and Possibly DeSmith)

Not only assets for Petry but Matheson which was the whole idea behind the trade. Imagine. And, yet. People here were gloating that the Habs didnt get a 1st BUT when all is said and done, they may get multiple 1sts along with the 2nd rounder they already received along with dumping two bad contracts without retaining on Pitlick and Hoffman.

This is far and away better than just a protected 1st for Petry in 2022. This trade tree could be a bounty that keeps giving.

Quoting: justaBoss
Greatest winners are the CF community.

Now these stupid Petry trades can finally stop.

Nope. Here we go again.
KSIxSKULLS and A_Habs_fan liked this.
Aug. 6, 2023 at 2:38 p.m.
yeesh of all yeeshes

At the time, my take was good, in hindsight my take is absolutely horrid, Matheson continued to do well and Petry fell off a cliff, which is the opposite of what I expected
MontysPython liked this.
Aug. 6, 2023 at 2:40 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
At the time, my take was good, in hindsight my take is absolutely horrid, Matheson continued to do well and Petry fell off a cliff, which is the opposite of what I expected

The Petry trade could also benefit the youth with his hands and shot still there. Barron looks destined to start in the A without having to go on waivers. Curious if they try to build him up with top pair mins and special teams. Got to think Matheson keeps his hold of the TOP PP though as he was scoring PPG to finish the year in the last qtr.
KSIxSKULLS and MontysPython liked this.
Aug. 6, 2023 at 6:02 p.m.
Player Model Maker
The Petry trade could also benefit the youth with his hands and shot still there. Barron looks destined to start in the A without having to go on waivers. Curious if they try to build him up with top pair mins and special teams. Got to think Matheson keeps his hold of the TOP PP though as he was scoring PPG to finish the year in the last qtr.

that is if he's not flipped by opening night
Aug. 6, 2023 at 7:33 p.m.
Montreal won this trade last year and after today they slammed it.
Aug. 6, 2023 at 7:34 p.m.
Quoting: vmark
Well there you have it. Now our D is stacked. This isn't the last move. But I'll take Petry and Smith over Matheson and Marino every day of the week and twice on game night. Matheson's defensive positioning was atrocious. Marino was overrated as ****. Now we have a guy who is a legit top pair player and a high upside offensive guy who can certainly at the very least pull off a good Matheson impression.

Hexy is on one boys

LOL! That aged well.
Aug. 6, 2023 at 7:37 p.m.
Why? It seems like people who liked this comment have no idea what they're talking about.

Marino is overrated. Matheson was terrible in his own end. I was so excited we traded Marino and actually got a legit piece back that can help now. To upgrade Matheson to Petry right before my eyes was a sight to behold. I'm a huge pens fan. I watch loads of games and never miss a single play off game. Matheson and Marino were pretty terrible vs NYR, ESPECIALLY in their own zone. Now we have someone who can develop into his own version of Matheson/Letang with a legit ceiling and another guy who is a legit top 4 guy who is leaps and bounds better at actually playing D, and who is also motivated to WIN NOW.

It's a massive W for the organization, the fans, and the core players who want another run before it's all said and done.

Yikes!
Aug. 6, 2023 at 7:49 p.m.
IG vincemark78
Quoting: The_Lanny
LOL! That aged well.

Yeah, we didn't play Smith over Joseph because of contract issues. Hexy being on one was probably the most accurate thing I said in that comment.

Yikes!

Yeah I don't see much "yikes" here besides you bringing up ish that don't matter.

I stand corrected! NOT a massive W! BIG YIKES

But let me humor you

Smith's ceiling is untold. He has had a strange development trajectory. This is still TBD.

I was fine with Petry's game this year, just wish he would have had a full healthy season. I didn't even want to trade him but when it comes down to getting EK you trade whoever makes it work.

I feel the same way about Granlund; I would have liked to see how he looked this year, much too small of a sample size. Had to be moved to make the money work. But you do what you have to to get EK.

But yea this was after one year bud. Getting Dubas changed everything... Hextall offseason looks nothing like this.

And yeah Marino is def overrated

You bitter about Yegor?
Aug. 6, 2023 at 7:56 p.m.
Yeah, we didn't play Smith over Joseph because of contract issues. Hexy being on one was probably the most accurate thing I said in that comment.

Yeah I don't see much "yikes" here besides you bringing up ish that don't matter.

I stand corrected! NOT a massive W! BIG YIKES

But let me humor you

Smith's ceiling is untold. He has had a strange development trajectory. This is still TBD.

I was fine with Petry's game this year, just wish he would have had a full healthy season. I didn't even want to trade him but when it comes down to getting EK you trade whoever makes it work.

I feel the same way about Granlund; I would have liked to see how he looked this year, much too small of a sample size. Had to be moved to make the money work. But you do what you have to to get EK.

But yea this was after one year bud. Getting Dubas changed everything... Hextall offseason looks nothing like this.

And yeah Marino is def overrated

You bitter about Yegor?

Next summer you’ll look silly again when you see that Dubas took your old man team and made it into an ER.
Aug. 6, 2023 at 10:47 p.m.
IG vincemark78
Next summer you’ll look silly again when you see that Dubas took your old man team and made it into an ER.

Bold move cotton. I'll keep my fingers crossed
Aug. 8, 2023 at 9:22 p.m.
Banned
that is if he's not flipped by opening night

According to every fan base here. He's the worst defenceman in the world, and.. yet.. the salary cap has nothing to do with it. Capfriendly to a T. Whereas the cap doesn't matter, and most of the users don't mind.
MontysPython liked this.
Aug. 9, 2023 at 2:24 a.m.
Player Model Maker
According to every fan base here. He's the worst defenceman in the world, and.. yet.. the salary cap has nothing to do with it. Capfriendly to a T. Whereas the cap doesn't matter, and most of the users don't mind.

exactly
Aug. 20, 2023 at 6:18 p.m.
Quoting: Random2152
Matheson was terrible in Florida but was really turning it around in Pittsburgh. I am really interested to see how he works out in Montreal now because it will show whether or not it was him figuring it out or something systemically that the Pens were doing to help him exploit his value. Lot of term at a big aav though to take that risk.

Petry has been good in the past but is old and in decline, but if last year was an abhoration then who knows this could be great for PGH but again a mid term at a very high aav carries a lot of risk.

Just an interesting trade all around with a lot of potential downside for all inolved.

Quoting: Wqrrior
The winner of this trade depends on what version of Matheson MTL gets.

Turned out MTL got the good version of Matheson

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit