Another tough year but thats what we need

Created by: Reff
Team: 2022-23 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 28, 2022
Published: Jul. 29, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
There are 2 directions Habs could go:
- Let the kids play in MTL and have Martin St-Louis and Stéphane Robidas develop them, and hope for the best
- Let the kids play in Laval and assume that we will tank another year

Personnaly, I'd go with option #2. This means:

- No big moves (no PLD).
- Get rid of Hoffman (and Armia if possible) with a pick for Mr Future Considerations.
- Give Dach 2nd C spot and let him have an offensive role. Dvorak will be there for the PK and faceoffs.
- Trade Drouin, Byron (if healthy), Dadonov and Allen at TDL, then call up some kids.
- Send them to Laval after the season for a run at the Calder Cup.
- Get a Top 5 pick in 2023 and hope FLA has a bad year for another Top 15 pick.

Roster after TDL should look like this:

Slafkovsky/Suzuki/Caufield
Pitlick/Dach/Anderson
Ylonen-Mesar-Heineman-Mysak/Dvorak/Gallagher
Pezzetta/Evans/Armia

Matheson/Savard
Edmunson/Harris
Guhle/Barron

Price/Montembeault
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,900,000
1$800,000
Trades
MTL
    Future considerations
    ANA
    1. Hoffman, Mike
    2. 2023 3rd round pick (MTL)
    Buyouts
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the FLA
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the VGK
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the CGY
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    22$82,500,000$70,576,666$1,132,500$1,357,500$11,923,334
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
    $880,833$880,833 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $7,875,000$7,875,000
    C
    UFA - 8
    $5,500,000$5,500,000
    RW, LW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 5
    $5,500,000$5,500,000
    LW, RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $1,900,000$1,900,000
    C, RW
    RFA - 4
    $2,500,000$2,500,000
    RW, LW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $1,100,000$1,100,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 2
    $4,450,000$4,450,000
    C
    UFA - 3
    $6,500,000$6,500,000
    RW, LW
    M-NTC, NMC
    UFA - 5
    $750,000$750,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $1,700,000$1,700,000
    C
    UFA - 3
    $3,400,000$3,400,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 3
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $875,000$875,000
    LD/RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $3,500,000$3,500,000
    RD
    UFA - 3
    $10,500,000$10,500,000
    G
    NMC
    UFA - 4
    $4,875,000$4,875,000
    LD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 4
    $2,875,000$2,875,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    $842,500$842,500 (Performance Bonus$507,500$508K)
    LD/RD
    RFA - 1
    $762,500$762,500
    RD
    UFA - 2
    $750,000$750,000
    RD
    UFA - 1
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $825,000$825,000
    LW, RW
    RFA - 1
    $3,400,000$3,400,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $750,000$750,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Jul. 29, 2022 at 10:13 a.m.
    I think you would have a hard time selling some fans for passing on Shane Wright and then sending Slaf down to the AHL to start. Not even saying its a bad idea, but I have a feeling some fans would be very unhappy.
    Lenny7 liked this.
    Jul. 29, 2022 at 10:14 a.m.
    That defence reminds me of that year we finished 3rd last and drafted Galchenyck. Lots of Kaberle Diaz and Campoli lol
    Jul. 29, 2022 at 10:14 a.m.
    Anaheim is also going with the let the kids play theory. Hoffman is incompatible with having kids play. There is a reason no team has offered him a 2nd contract in years, He's a disaster as most, all, Canadiens fans now know.
    Jul. 29, 2022 at 10:17 a.m.
    Lenny7
    Quoting: DangleCat
    I think you would have a hard time selling some fans for passing on Shane Wright and then sending Slaf down to the AHL to start. Not even saying its a bad idea, but I have a feeling some fans would be very unhappy.

Agreed, especially if Wright jumps in and puts up 50 or so points this year (very much in the realm of possibility, given that he *should* get a pretty long look with some solid wingers). I can't imagine that sending him down is the wrong play at all long term, but yeah, you hit the nail on the head.

I also don't see the point in paying to dump Hoffman right now. It's not as if the Habs need the space? Why send a pick (It's probably going to cost more than a 3rd...) when you have no need to dump?
    Jul. 29, 2022 at 10:20 a.m.
    Quoting: Lenny7
    Agreed, especially if Wright jumps in and puts up 50 or so points this year (very much in the realm of possibility, given that he *should* get a pretty long look with some solid wingers). I can't imagine that sending him down is the wrong play at all long term, but yeah, you hit the nail on the head.

I also don't see the point in paying to dump Hoffman right now. It's not as if the Habs need the space? Why send a pick (It's probably going to cost more than a 3rd...) when you have no need to dump?

There is also an outside chance he bounces back and pots like 20 or so goals with some PP2 time. Maybe you could retain and get some assets for him next year you never know.
    Lenny7 liked this.
    Jul. 29, 2022 at 10:27 a.m.

I don't think it would be that hard. He needs to get used to North American ice and I am sure he will be given some games in the NHL but I'd consider Laval purely due to cap implications. Letting that contract slide one more year is essential. I can see them letting stay in the NHL, but that means they need to lose a high salary winger, which is not idea considering they need to pay to get rid of them
    DangleCat and Reff liked this.
    Jul. 29, 2022 at 11:42 a.m.

Surely some fans would be unhappy, but we have buried so much talent in the past few years because we didn't take the time to develop them in the minors before making the jump. If Hughes and Gorton take the time to adress that situation and that vision to the fans with arguments and a plan, like NYR did, I don't see why we would be angry at all.
    DangleCat liked this.
    Jul. 29, 2022 at 2:19 p.m.

You can't please all the fans all the time.
    There are several reasons to keep Slafkosky in Laval for one year. So what if some fans are unhappy and some media outlets put pressure on the team's front office?
    Both arenas will be packed anyways.

I think if the team is transparent and clear with their plan for Slafkosky and with other young players, they will have less fans whining.

I wonder how much "the fan base will complain" is brought up when planing the team direction really is for the front office.
    Hopefully, not alot.
    DangleCat liked this.
    Aug. 1, 2022 at 8:19 a.m.
    Quoting: Nake_qc
    You can't please all the fans all the time.
    There are several reasons to keep Slafkosky in Laval for one year. So what if some fans are unhappy and some media outlets put pressure on the team's front office?
    Both arenas will be packed anyways.

I think if the team is transparent and clear with their plan for Slafkosky and with other young players, they will have less fans whining.

I wonder how much "the fan base will complain" is brought up when planing the team direction really is for the front office.
    Hopefully, not alot.

Problem is not with the fans whining, it's about the sponsors not being happy. They pour millions of $ in the franchise and expect to get associated with a winning team, have a positive image. That weighs a lot more than fans complaining.

If Gorton and Hughes are all in with a full rebuild and take the necessary time to meet their major sponsors, I think they can manage a good media campaign and still get all of them to follow. If the sponsors are in, medias and fans will also follow.

That being said, it's far more easy to go along this way by getting the kids to play and give the fans/sponsors/media something exciting to watch rather than letting them develop in Laval and have a squad of aging veterans who will finish dead last once again. That's quite a dillema.
    Aug. 2, 2022 at 12:46 a.m.
    Quoting: Reff
    Problem is not with the fans whining, it's about the sponsors not being happy. They pour millions of $ in the franchise and expect to get associated with a winning team, have a positive image. That weighs a lot more than fans complaining.

If Gorton and Hughes are all in with a full rebuild and take the necessary time to meet their major sponsors, I think they can manage a good media campaign and still get all of them to follow. If the sponsors are in, medias and fans will also follow.

That being said, it's far more easy to go along this way by getting the kids to play and give the fans/sponsors/media something exciting to watch rather than letting them develop in Laval and have a squad of aging veterans who will finish dead last once again. That's quite a dillema.

Good points.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll