Ovchinnikov 137
Leafs will ruin Sandin if they continue to play him on his offside
Nov. 15, 2022 at 8:45 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Nov. 15, 2022 at 8:51 p.m.
Quoting: MatthewsFan
Leafs will ruin Sandin if they continue to play him on his offside

Sandin is playing his strong side tonight

And hes been there for the last 2 games (Van game he played LD 2nd to the end of the game). I dont think we can blame he side game anymore. Sandin might have hit the regression wall as away from the boards in his own end he looks terrible and has been gifting Muzzins more than twice this season
Nov. 15, 2022 at 8:53 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Quoting: aadoyle
Sandin is playing his strong side tonight

And hes been there for the last 2 games. I dont think we can blame he side game anymore. Sandin might have hit the regression wall

First time tonight he has played his strong side

But I stand by my comment, moving him back and forth is killing his confidence
Nov. 15, 2022 at 8:56 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
First time tonight he has played his strong side

But I stand by my comment, moving him back and forth is killing his confidence

He played 1.5periods as when Benn scored he went with Rielly and for the rest it was Sandin-Liligren/Gio-Holl

But either way most of his Muffins have been on the left side with only 1 being from his offside

This one is up there with the Fiala one and if he wants to keep his spot hes gonna have to improve
Nov. 15, 2022 at 9:04 p.m.
Amirov Forever
This is Jordie Benn's world and we're all just living in it. Give him the Norris and the Hart already
MatthewsFan liked this.
Nov. 15, 2022 at 9:29 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
If they can take out Kerfoot + Engvall and add in a top 6 forward and Knies at the end of his season, now we are talking.
NorthernLeafsFan05 liked this.
Nov. 15, 2022 at 9:33 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
If they can take out Kerfoot + Engvall and add in a top 6 forward and Knies at the end of his season, now we are talking.

So who replaces Kerfoot on the PK as honestly while the 5 on 5 is a struggle him on the PK has been good.

Engvall yeah could replace him

Honestly if you play the cards right (not a fan but its an option)

Arizona (Hayton + Chycrun trade)
Nov. 15, 2022 at 9:47 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
So who replaces Kerfoot on the PK as honestly while the 5 on 5 is a struggle him on the PK has been good.

Engvall yeah could replace him

Honestly if you play the cards right (not a fan but its an option)

Arizona (Hayton + Chycrun trade)

I don’t want this in the lineup anymore, especially if that means sitting Robertson. Give me a break, they have guys to replace Kerfoot both defensively and offensively.

Alex Kerfoot: 17 GP, 1G, 6P
Nov. 15, 2022 at 9:50 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Nov. 15, 2022 at 9:55 p.m.
I don’t want this in the lineup anymore, especially if that means sitting Robertson. Give me a break, they have guys to replace Kerfoot both defensively and offensively.

Alex Kerfoot: 17 GP, 1G, 6P

Agreed the 5 on 5 play has been rough but on the PK hes been good for us. But in general

They dont got another PK C besides Kampf. We did wings on the PK faceoff in the past (Hyman) results were iffy

Kerfoot-Jarnkrok has been a good PK duo

Thats the main reason hes still here as for now our units are

Kampf-Marner
Kerfoot-Jarnkrok
Engvall-ZAR
Nylander-Anyone of the guys above

As for Engvall he is 100% expendable to me

As long as he is contributing well defensively on the PK no need to rush a trade and ruin everything
Nov. 15, 2022 at 9:56 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
They dont got another PK C besides Kampf. We did wings in the past results were iffy

Kerfoot-Jarnkrok has been a good PK duo

Thats the main reason hes still here as for now our units are

Kampf-Marner
Kerfoot-Jarnkrok
Engvall-ZAR
Nylander-Anyone of the guys above

As long as he is contributing well defensively on the PK no need to rush a trade and ruin everything

The Leafs PK is 12th worst this year. Keep Kerfoot if you want, entitled to your own opinion.

They will be a much better team when he is gone
Nov. 15, 2022 at 10:14 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Just to add my two cents to the whole Kerfoot situation:

I'm not a huge fan of Kerfoot, but I genuinely have no confidence that he is a guy that would be moved. He HAD value following last season, but his poor play to start the season along with his M-NTC puts a wrench in the works. At times, Kerf looks like an actual decent hockey player, but he makes so many goofy / suboptimal plays that he becomes a straight up offensive blackhole. Considering his upside, he's certainly not a guy you pay to get rid of, but his inconsistency and lofty caphit (for the Leafs) makes him a trade target. I've also yet to think of a single team he would fit on. At this point I think you really just bear down and play out the final year of his contract. If you're going to move anyone, you look to Engvall whose upside is not nearly as high as Kerfoot's and also has much lower lows. Justin Holl is another guy I would look at, but I highly doubt we move him either. Play Kerf on the third line and utilize his speed and defensive impact to drive a bit of scoring. He's one of many Leafs that are suffering from an identity issue it seems like.

Again though, I don't think Kerfoot is the guy on the outside looking in. Engvall is definitely on the chopping block though and would have my vote if we had a say in who gets traded next
Saskleaf liked this.
Nov. 15, 2022 at 10:18 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Nov. 15, 2022 at 10:25 p.m.
Quoting: Nathaniel
Just to add my two cents to the whole Kerfoot situation:

I'm not a huge fan of Kerfoot, but I genuinely have no confidence that he is a guy that would be moved. He HAD value following last season, but his poor play to start the season along with his M-NTC puts a wrench in the works. At times, Kerf looks like an actual decent hockey player, but he makes so many goofy / suboptimal plays that he becomes a straight up offensive blackhole. Considering his upside, he's certainly not a guy you pay to get rid of, but his inconsistency and lofty caphit (for the Leafs) makes him a trade target. I've also yet to think of a single team he would fit on. At this point I think you really just bear down and play out the final year of his contract. If you're going to move anyone, you look to Engvall whose upside is not nearly as high as Kerfoot's and also has much lower lows. Justin Holl is another guy I would look at, but I highly doubt we move him either. Play Kerf on the third line and utilize his speed and defensive impact to drive a bit of scoring. He's one of many Leafs that are suffering from an identity issue it seems like.

Again though, I don't think Kerfoot is the guy on the outside looking in. Engvall is definitely on the chopping block though and would have my vote if we had a say in who gets traded next

I feel Kerfoot's confidence is just down. Once he buries one I feel the offense will pick up. But in general he still has made a good enough defensive impact to still be useful and on the PK hes been good and developing chemistry with Jarnkrok. Lets say Leafs move him and the guy they bring in doesnt do much better. We just wasted a pick for a big load of nothing. Cause basically if Kerfoot goes Leafs got to go get a C as despite being a 5 on 5 LW Kerfoot is our second PK C behind Kampf

If he was just being ass cheeks at both ends and being a -20 or not contributing in any fashion like Ritchie was for us last year or how JP is performing in Edmonton rn yeah I would have concerns. Still its not like he was the only one to do that weird pass play. Matthews did it last year twice and we barely cared.

Engvall though yeah that guy might need to go. As rn hes got no pure spot. Hes not a pure C and away from Kampf he looks meh. That is a guy you can go alright move along. Only time I was genuinely impressed with him was the Van game where it was like hey old buddy Mikheyev im gonna 1 up u
Nov. 15, 2022 at 10:25 p.m.
Amirov Forever
I feel Kerfoot's confidence is just down. Once he buries one I feel the offense will pick up. But in general he still has made a good enough defensive impact to still be useful and on the PK hes been good and developing chemistry with Jarnkrok. Lets say Leafs move him and the guy they bring in doesnt do much better. We just wasted a pick for a big load of nothing.

If he was just being ass cheeks at both ends and being a -20 or not contributing in any fashion like Ritchie was then yeah I would have concerns. Still its not like he was the only one to do that weird pass play. Matthews did it last year twice and we barely cared.

Engvall though yeah that guy might need to go. As rn hes got no pure spot. Hes not a pure C and away from Kampf he looks meh. That is a guy you can go alright move along. Only time I was genuinely impressed with him was the Van game where it was like hey old buddy Mikheyev im gonna 1 up u

Thats my point. He's still a useful player, he's just very inconsistent. People tend to ignore the highs because of the lows. His point totals last season with hardly any PP time are very impressive. He's certainly not a guy I'm in any rush to move. I'm hoping Holmberg really proves himself and takes Engvall's spot from out under him
Saskleaf liked this.
Nov. 15, 2022 at 10:27 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Thats my point. He's still a useful player, he's just very inconsistent. People tend to ignore the highs because of the lows. His point totals last season with hardly any PP time are very impressive. He's certainly not a guy I'm in any rush to move. I'm hoping Holmberg really proves himself and takes Engvall's spot from out under him

Same

In general it could be worse

Look at Pulijarvi in Edmonton and Kapenan in Pittsburgh. At least Keftoot does something for his team. Sure hes inconsistent but I got some stupid feeling hes gonna pick it up

As for Engvall yeah if you can find a 3c upgrade go get it
Nov. 15, 2022 at 10:38 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137

His point totals were high last year because he played an entire season with Tavares and Nylander riding an unsustainable high PDO.

He can’t drive a line, create offence on his own, I will be shocked if he isn’t salary going back in a TDL deal (with multiple assets).
Saskleaf liked this.
Nov. 15, 2022 at 11:18 p.m.
Amirov Forever
His point totals were high last year because he played an entire season with Tavares and Nylander riding an unsustainable high PDO.

He can’t drive a line, create offence on his own, I will be shocked if he isn’t salary going back in a TDL deal (with multiple assets).

See, I agree with you here too. Kerfoot is an enigma. He is genuinely the most confusing player I have watched in recent memory.
Saskleaf liked this.
Nov. 15, 2022 at 11:20 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Something I've been meaning to mention: What are you guys' thoughts on Horvat to Toronto? The fit seems perfect, and if we are serious about moving Tavares to the wing at some point, Horvat seems like a very logical 2C option. Also a local guy which is a nice bonus. That being said, the cost of acquisition would be ridiculous and would almost certainly revolve around Niemela. Would you guys pull the trigger?

I myself, despite being a big Horvat fan, would look elsewhere for a complimentary top 6 scoring winger. Garland is still my favourite target.
Saskleaf and MatthewsFan liked this.
Nov. 15, 2022 at 11:34 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Something I've been meaning to mention: What are you guys' thoughts on Horvat to Toronto? The fit seems perfect, and if we are serious about moving Tavares to the wing at some point, Horvat seems like a very logical 2C option. Also a local guy which is a nice bonus. That being said, the cost of acquisition would be ridiculous and would almost certainly revolve around Niemela. Would you guys pull the trigger?

I myself, despite being a big Horvat fan, would look elsewhere for a complimentary top 6 scoring winger. Garland is still my favourite target.

His 23% shooting percentage scares me (13% is his average) but no questioning his face off prowess and overall game. But to your point, the acquisition cost to get him plus if you are giving up a hall you most likely want to resign him and paying him north of 7 for 28 year old C is something I don’t see Kyle doing.

I also believe Garland is the better fit (Kerfoot + 2024 2nd + Hirvonen 🤷‍♂️) but getting him also means you don’t resign Bunting. Which I’m kinda of ok with.

The needs for me have always been:
Top 6 fwd
Top 4 RD
3rd line C
Nov. 16, 2022 at 12:34 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
His 23% shooting percentage scares me (13% is his average) but no questioning his face off prowess and overall game. But to your point, the acquisition cost to get him plus if you are giving up a hall you most likely want to resign him and paying him north of 7 for 28 year old C is something I don’t see Kyle doing.

I also believe Garland is the better fit (Kerfoot + 2024 2nd + Hirvonen 🤷‍♂️) but getting him also means you don’t resign Bunting. Which I’m kinda of ok with.

The needs for me have always been:
Top 6 fwd
Top 4 RD
3rd line C

Depending on if Sandin continues to struggle RD might fast become LD

As if Benn plays well enough to stay (eventual 3rd pair drop gonna happen) focus could potentially shift. As while Sandin is young the recent play is making Muzzin's absence noticeable
Nov. 16, 2022 at 1:15 a.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Depending on if Sandin continues to struggle RD might fast become LD

As if Benn plays well enough to stay (eventual 3rd pair drop gonna happen) focus could potentially shift. As while Sandin is young the recent play is making Muzzin's absence noticeable

FhnoEQ-WQAAhywz?format=jpg&name=900x900

This notion that the Leafs are poor defensively I’ll never get. Could they use another Bogosian/Lyubushkin type sure but if Benn is that guy, give me a puck moving/stable defenseman. A Mike Rielly, Dylan DeMelo, Nick Jensen, type.

Scoring has kept this team from advancing in the 1st round. If they use that Muzzin cap relief on anything, it better be scoring.

And if Benn falls back down to earth, just look at Schenn or Bortuzzo.

I’d be all over a Tarasenko/Bortuzzo package
Saskleaf liked this.
Nov. 16, 2022 at 2:07 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
FhnoEQ-WQAAhywz?format=jpg&name=900x900

This notion that the Leafs are poor defensively I’ll never get. Could they use another Bogosian/Lyubushkin type sure but if Benn is that guy, give me a puck moving/stable defenseman. A Mike Rielly, Dylan DeMelo, Nick Jensen, type.

Scoring has kept this team from advancing in the 1st round. If they use that Muzzin cap relief on anything, it better be scoring.

And if Benn falls back down to earth, just look at Schenn or Bortuzzo.

I’d be all over a Tarasenko/Bortuzzo package

Keefe and the former Carolina AC really has made them more committed to defense. Will be interesting to see who they pick as there are lots of options

From a Bogosian reunion to a Chycrun homecoming to a deal with a rival
Nov. 16, 2022 at 2:17 a.m.

It depends on how you value Knies, Niemela and Hirovenen. I'm guessing one of these players would have to be included to get Horvat but I'm reluctant to wanting to move any of these players.

You know what? A top 4 RD is a bigger need than another forward IMO.
palhal liked this.
Nov. 16, 2022 at 10:16 a.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Quoting: oneX
It depends on how you value Knies, Niemela and Hirovenen. I'm guessing one of these players would have to be included to get Horvat but I'm reluctant to wanting to move any of these players.

You know what? A top 4 RD is a bigger need than another forward IMO.

Curious to why you think adding a Dman is more important than a top 6 forward?
oneX liked this.
Nov. 16, 2022 at 12:05 p.m.
Curious to why you think adding a Dman is more important than a top 6 forward?

Well because of plays like the one off Sandin's stick that lead to a goal. You may think that's nitpicking but I agree with your point in another post about just playing the kid on his strong side because when you keep asking him to do things he's not great at, and play him minutes he hasn't earned, stuff like that goal happens.

It's still early in the season and my concern is in second half of the season, the competition is going to get tougher as it always does and I'm not confident about Sandin especially on his off side but it's more concerning when it happens on his strong side.

The other thing about adding a forward vs adding a D is that the core group of forwards have to come to the realization that later in the season and in the playoffs, they need to understand when to push the play and when it's time to be in good defensive position and lockdown the game. I'm not convinced Matthews, Marner, Nylander and perhaps a few more players on this roster quite understand that. Adding forwards to this group won't fix that, they just have to come the understanding where in the game they are.
Trickster liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll