SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Toronto Maple Leafs 2022 season Discussion

Nov. 16, 2022 at 2:30 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Quoting: oneX
Well because of plays like the one off Sandin's stick that lead to a goal. You may think that's nitpicking but I agree with your point in another post about just playing the kid on his strong side because when you keep asking him to do things he's not great at, and play him minutes he hasn't earned, stuff like that goal happens.

It's still early in the season and my concern is in second half of the season, the competition is going to get tougher as it always does and I'm not confident about Sandin especially on his off side but it's more concerning when it happens on his strong side.

The other thing about adding a forward vs adding a D is that the core group of forwards have to come to the realization that later in the season and in the playoffs, they need to understand when to push the play and when it's time to be in good defensive position and lockdown the game. I'm not convinced Matthews, Marner, Nylander and perhaps a few more players on this roster quite understand that. Adding forwards to this group won't fix that, they just have to come the understanding where in the game they are.

Scoring (especially by depth players) has plagued this team against TBL, MTL, and CLB. Against TBL the bottom six combined for three goals, and Mikheyev scored two empty netters. Against MTL the bottom had four goals – Jason Spezza scored three of them (one came when he moved into the top six) and Thornton scored the other on the PP. And against CLB in the play-in-round, the only bottom-six forward to score at all was Nick Robertson. When the gap is this tight between top teams (probably going to get one of FLA/BOS/TBL in the 1st round this year), every single player matters.

The way this team is structured, it will absolutely only go as far as the core 4 (Matthews Marner Nylander Tavares) carry them but THEY need help.

Playoff stats:

Chance to win a series (0-9)
Matthews
9 games
2 goals
3 assists
5 pts

Marner
9 games
0 goals
3 assists
3 pts

In winner take all games (0-5)
Matthews
5 games
0 goals
2 assitss
2 pts

Marner
5 games
0 goals
2 assists
2 pts

Now it would have been nice if Andersen could have stood on his head in one of those Game 7’s against BOS but that didn’t happen. As it stands now Dubas NEEDS to add an impact top 6 forward, a 3C that can drive play, and a depth D that can hit/clear the front of the net.
Defence has not been an issue for this team getting out of the 1st Round.
Just my two cents
Saskleaf liked this.
Nov. 16, 2022 at 6:51 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Nov. 16, 2022 at 8:44 p.m.
Teams that make sense for Toronto to trade with

1. Arizona

Chycrun + Hayton

2. Vancouver

Garland + Schenn

3. Tampa

Bogosian or Foote

4. Nashville

Ekholm + Trenin or Tolvanen

5. Chicago

Murphy or McCabe + Athanasiou

6. Columbus

Peeke or Gavrikov

7. Montreal

Savard or Edmunson

Would say Caps but man its like Detroit the ask for Jensen + Shery is basically an arm leg and first born child. Just go get them 2023 FA

To me I want to wait till Dec to see if Sandin improves. If he continues to struggle a trade package involving him for an upgrade might need to be explored. If he improves target a RD. If he continues this struggle package him off for an upgrade.
Saskleaf liked this.
Nov. 16, 2022 at 10:26 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Debating on posting this trade idea between Toronto and Arizona (Now for the record this only happens if Sandin continues to struggle)

Toronto sends: 2023 1st + Sandin + Engvall (to make money work) + Niemela and Voit to Arizona

Arizona sends: Chycrun + Hayton to Toronto

Still working out the kinks but honestly there is potential and Hayton when he gets going is a solid forward

Now they could also do a lesser trade with Van

i.e. (Send: 2023 1st + Kerfoot + Niemela for Schenn + Garland) but idk I feel they might need more as if Sandin struggles idk if adding a guy like Schenn will fix that
Nov. 16, 2022 at 10:32 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Quoting: aadoyle
Debating on posting this trade idea between Toronto and Arizona (Now for the record this only happens if Sandin continues to struggle)

Toronto sends: 2023 1st + Sandin + Engvall (to make money work) + Niemela and Voit to Arizona

Arizona sends: Chycrun + Hayton to Toronto

Still working out the kinks but honestly there is potential and Hayton when he gets going is a solid forward

Now they could also do a lesser trade with Van

i.e. (Send: 2023 1st + Kerfoot + Niemela for Schenn + Garland) but idk I feel they might need more as if Sandin struggles idk if adding a guy like Schenn will fix that

I really cant see Arizona moving Hayton. He's still young, was a very high draft pick, and is on a very team friendly deal. He's probably a piece they keep around. If they are looking to move him, I'd jump all over it.
Nov. 16, 2022 at 10:36 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Nathaniel
I really cant see Arizona moving Hayton. He's still young, was a very high draft pick, and is on a very team friendly deal. He's probably a piece they keep around. If they are looking to move him, I'd jump all over it.

Apparently they were considering it last offseason and you got to think if it gives them a better chance at getting a top 3 pick **** it go for it. As they got other C's who are eventually gonna come in behind Schmaltz (Cooley, Geekie, etc). Cooley could be on the team after this NCAA season

As by the end of the TDL their C core could be Schmaltz, Cooley, Boyd, McBain
NorthernLeafsFan05 liked this.
Nov. 16, 2022 at 10:37 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Apparently they were considering it last offseason and you got to think if it gives them a better chance at getting a top 3 pick **** it go for it. As they got other C's who are eventually gonna come in behind Schmaltz (Cooley, Geekie, etc). Cooley could be on the team after this NCAA season

If thats the case, yeah Id really want him
Nov. 16, 2022 at 10:38 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
If thats the case, yeah Id really want him

Wont be easy but I got a feeling if Dubas is gonna make a Chycrun trade he might take it a step further and try and get Hayton. As Hayton kind of hasnt been what Arizona thought they got and so they might explore a trade to give Cooley a shot
Nov. 16, 2022 at 11:05 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Wont be easy but I got a feeling if Dubas is gonna make a Chycrun trade he might take it a step further and try and get Hayton. As Hayton kind of hasnt been what Arizona thought they got and so they might explore a trade to give Cooley a shot

hayton-barrett-3.jpg

I've seen enough. Barrett Hayton will be a Leaf
Saskleaf liked this.
Nov. 16, 2022 at 11:06 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
hayton-barrett-3.jpg

I've seen enough. Barrett Hayton will be a Leaf

Might have known which was why I said it wink
Nov. 16, 2022 at 11:39 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Call me crazy but I’m not giving up on this

Fd05A0pX0AIX20-.jpg

Fd07MaLWIAEmNE0?format=jpg&name=medium

Missing training camp fukces up all players differently
Nov. 17, 2022 at 1:06 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Nov. 17, 2022 at 1:16 a.m.
Quoting: MatthewsFan
Call me crazy but I’m not giving up on this

Fd05A0pX0AIX20-.jpg

Fd07MaLWIAEmNE0?format=jpg&name=medium

Missing training camp fukces up all players differently

In Jfresh's comment he highlighted sheltered and honestly thats a trend I notice. Whenever we give Sandin more minutes he struggles bad. Like the Fiala and Crosby giveaways were mind boggling bad and Sandin was playing his strong side and still these kinds of plays are something that coaches tell u not to do. We saw this with Gardiner for years and my fear is were getting the second coming.

If hes not gonna improve/take that next step with Muzzin out and struggle on the third pair why keep him when there could be an upgrade. As Liligren missed camp and look at him way better. But I agree with Dubas lets see what these 2 can do and if one is struggling make a trade to either move on and upgrade or ease the role. But I am rooting for Sandin to get better but times a ticking as yes he did miss camp but still with Muzzin out we need him and if hes gonna keep doing bad plays like that idk might want to explore a trade.

TopDown explains it the best

Either way I give it till December/January. If Sandin isnt improving a trade needs to be made for an upgrade. If he improves no need to touch a thing
Saskleaf liked this.
Nov. 17, 2022 at 9:11 a.m.
Go leafs go
In Jfresh's comment he highlighted sheltered and honestly thats a trend I notice. Whenever we give Sandin more minutes he struggles bad. Like the Fiala and Crosby giveaways were mind boggling bad and Sandin was playing his strong side and still these kinds of plays are something that coaches tell u not to do. We saw this with Gardiner for years and my fear is were getting the second coming.

If hes not gonna improve/take that next step with Muzzin out and struggle on the third pair why keep him when there could be an upgrade. As Liligren missed camp and look at him way better. But I agree with Dubas lets see what these 2 can do and if one is struggling make a trade to either move on and upgrade or ease the role. But I am rooting for Sandin to get better but times a ticking as yes he did miss camp but still with Muzzin out we need him and if hes gonna keep doing bad plays like that idk might want to explore a trade.

Either way I give it till December/January. If Sandin isnt improving a trade needs to be made for an upgrade. If he improves no need to touch a thing

Downtown sports is an awesome YouTube channel. One of the best, if not the best, channel as far as leafs content goes.
NorthernLeafsFan05 liked this.
Nov. 17, 2022 at 11:59 a.m.
Ovchinnikov 137

Going to echo @Saskleaf Stephen Brown is no question one of the best guys with Leaf content, Kyle Cushman is right there too tho.

I absolutely hate Buds All Day Podcast especially Noah Banx’s takes. Don’t agree with them, but that’s me.

Projecting how a 22 year old will develop is impossible, could Sandin turn into another Dermott and not reach his full potential, maybe, who knows. But I’m not ready to include him in any trade this year (especially for the injury prone Chychrun).

The Lesfs have given up another 22 year old Swedish D, that didn’t turn out well.

Lol so typical, Leaf’s traded picks always end up working so well for the other team
Nov. 17, 2022 at 12:24 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Going to echo Saskleaf Stephen Brown is no question one of the best guys with Leaf content, Kyle Cushman is right there too tho.

I absolutely hate Buds All Day Podcast especially Noah Banx’s takes. Don’t agree with them, but that’s me.

Projecting how a 22 year old will develop is impossible, could Sandin turn into another Dermott and not reach his full potential, maybe, who knows. But I’m not ready to include him in any trade this year (especially for the injury prone Chychrun).

The Lesfs have given up another 22 year old Swedish D, that didn’t turn out well.

Lol so typical, Leaf’s traded picks always end up working so well for the other team

Kyle Cushman is the goat of Leafs media. Level headed, understands the game, and isn't ridiculously reactionary.leafsnationnews is a fantastic follow as well
MatthewsFan and Saskleaf liked this.
Nov. 17, 2022 at 1:42 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Teams that make sense for Toronto to trade with

1. Arizona

Chycrun + Hayton

2. Vancouver

Garland + Schenn

3. Tampa

Bogosian or Foote

4. Nashville

Ekholm + Trenin or Tolvanen

5. Chicago

Murphy or McCabe + Athanasiou

6. Columbus

Peeke or Gavrikov

7. Montreal

Savard or Edmunson

Would say Caps but man its like Detroit the ask for Jensen + Shery is basically an arm leg and first born child. Just go get them 2023 FA

To me I want to wait till Dec to see if Sandin improves. If he continues to struggle a trade package involving him for an upgrade might need to be explored. If he improves target a RD. If he continues this struggle package him off for an upgrade.

I disagree heavily on Chychrun. Not only is he not the type of player we need, he hasnt even played for 2 years and im not convinced his run of being good wasnt just a shooting bender. Hayton is worthless

Not interested in schenn he doesnt help us, same with bogo and Foote

Like trenin and tolvanen as throwins but dont think ekholm can play RD which causes problems

Chicago guys are overpaid and overtermed for what we need. Maybe murphy if he is our only good option but im skeptical

Like gavrikov but same issue as ekholm in that I dont think he can play RD. Peeke isnt worth much and would cost a lot I think

Savard and edmundson suck ass no thank you. MTL is bad because those guys are bad

Also, dont give up on sandin. Trading a young D over some giveaways is always a bad idea. His results have otherwise been good and the talent is there
Nov. 17, 2022 at 1:47 p.m.
torontos finest
sandin has been playing on his off-side a lot, fwiw. i don't think he's very good as a rd.
Saskleaf liked this.
Nov. 17, 2022 at 1:51 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Nov. 17, 2022 at 1:57 p.m.
Quoting: Random2152
I disagree heavily on Chychrun. Not only is he not the type of player we need, he hasnt even played for 2 years and im not convinced his run of being good wasnt just a shooting bender. Hayton is worthless

Not interested in schenn he doesnt help us, same with bogo and Foote

Like trenin and tolvanen as throwins but dont think ekholm can play RD which causes problems

Chicago guys are overpaid and overtermed for what we need. Maybe murphy if he is our only good option but im skeptical

Like gavrikov but same issue as ekholm in that I dont think he can play RD. Peeke isnt worth much and would cost a lot I think

Savard and edmundson suck ass no thank you. MTL is bad because those guys are bad

Also, dont give up on sandin. Trading a young D over some giveaways is always a bad idea. His results have otherwise been good and the talent is there

As for the other takes not really the best. The implication your implying is Leafs should then not go get any D and just lose in the playoffs

Not a great idea

As in the end a Dcore of

Rielly-Liligren
Sandin-Brodie
Gio-Benn

Is not beating one of Tampa, Boston, or Florida. While team D has been good shoring things up on the back is not a bad idea. As if Sandin continues playing like what we have been seeing this year and he does that in the playoffs thats gonna be a major issue

And yes Ekholm can play RD
Nov. 17, 2022 at 1:52 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: mondo
sandin has been playing on his off-side a lot, fwiw. i don't think he's very good as a rd.

Hes gonna get LD from now on and so far results have not been good. Heck he lost his spot to Brodie at one point for a reason.

Leafs management will probs give him till Dec/January if he does not improve (even with playing his strong side) I got a feeling a trade is coming

Like im rooting for him but if he continues to struggle like this even if he is playing his strong side you got to explore a trade. As we cant have a giveaway like that in the post season
Nov. 17, 2022 at 1:55 p.m.
torontos finest
Hes gonna get LD from now on and so far results have not been good. Heck he lost his spot to Brodie at one point for a reason.

Leafs management will probs give him till Dec/January if he does not improve (even with playing his strong side) I got a feeling a trade is coming

Like im rooting for him but if he continues to struggle like this even if he is playing his strong side you got to explore a trade. As we cant have a giveaway like that in the post season

I'm in the camp of "he needs to do better" but willing to give him a long leash to improve. He's always had a higher ceiling than Dermott and comparing the two is a bit laughable.
Nov. 17, 2022 at 2:02 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: mondo
I'm in the camp of "he needs to do better" but willing to give him a long leash to improve. He's always had a higher ceiling than Dermott and comparing the two is a bit laughable.

To me its k you got a long leash but if you keep doing those kinds of giveaways or dont take a next step and an upgrade is sitting there we got to explore it.

Now I feel Defensive stay at home RD should be priority mainly due to what it can bring

Rielly always does very well with stay at home D like Lybushkin and Hainsey. Benn is working but I dont feel hes a long term top 4 solution. So at the TDL Leafs should explore bringing someone in. This allows Brodie to then go play with Sandin or Gio and we either get the former Calgary top pair or we get a D-Pairing that allows Sandin to settle as Brodie can ease Sandin back into his groove.

For instance Murphy

Rielly-Murphy
Sandin-Brodie
Giordano-Liligren

As I said before I hope this kid improves and does well but I also feel all options should be explored if we continue to see him struggle.
Nov. 17, 2022 at 2:03 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming

My contention was more of Chychrun's skill but don't pretend like his injury history isn't an issue. Notice how I said I don't really like any of the other options in that tweet.

As for the other takes not really the best. The implication your implying is Leafs should then not go get any D and just lose in the playoffs

That is simply not true. Saying you don't like specific options is not saying we shouldn't improve. I also feel the need to point out that the Leafs D has been excellent this year. It isn't a major point of concern right now regardless of what media BS tells you.

As in the end a Dcore of

Rielly-Liligren
Sandin-Brodie
Gio-Benn

Is not beating one of Tampa, Boston, or Florida. While team D has been good shoring things up on the back is not a bad idea. As if Sandin continues playing like what we have been seeing this year and he does that in the playoffs thats gonna be a major issue

Don't see why not. That is a good D core. Last I checked ranked 7th in the NHL results wise. Gio, Lily, and Brodie have been excellent and Sandin is underrated right now. People are writing him off over a few bad turnovers and not realising his results have been totally fine. Even Keefe pointed out he was trying to make the right play and just whiffed on the Crosby giveaway. Relax.
Nov. 17, 2022 at 2:24 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
So the guy on the left is SOME Leaf fans whipping boy while the guy on the far right is consider to be playing well. 🤔

Fhx8Cv7XEAAz1iq?format=png&name=small
Random2152 liked this.
Nov. 17, 2022 at 2:33 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
So the guy on the left is SOME Leaf fans whipping boy while the guy on the far right is consider to be playing well. 🤔

Fhx8Cv7XEAAz1iq?format=png&name=small

Hes been good but needs to curb the giveaways. As we really dont needGardiner highlights almost every game. Im rooting for him but give us that next step and really show he can be that 2-way defender of the future rather than just give us straight up offense.
Saskleaf liked this.
Nov. 17, 2022 at 2:40 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Nov. 17, 2022 at 2:48 p.m.
If Holmberg shows he can stay in the NHL Engvall 100% gone

As to me since being split from Kampf and since Mikheyev left he has looked lost. If he would play with more physicality and use his size I would be like keep him he at least does this. But other than the Van game he has been meh

Also gives Robertson a permeant spot and he and Holmberg seemed to do well together

Robertson-Holmberg-Jarnkrok could be a fun third line
Nov. 17, 2022 at 2:55 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Hes been good but needs to curb the giveaways. As we really dont needGardiner highlights almost every game. Im rooting for him but give us that next step and really show he can be that 2-way defender of the future rather than just give us straight up offense.

I mean just ask FLA fans about Weegar or NJD fans about Severson (two guys who Leaf fans love trading for) about bad turnovers or brain farts. There is no question Sandin is fighting it right now with his confidence but again it’s shocking that a guy who is leading the team in hits and has some really good offensive metrics right now getting so much heat for a couple of bad plays. This is a case of the eye test deceiving you.

I’m an honestly more surprised there are not more fans complaining how they are utilizing Robertson. This is a kid who has battles injuries the past two seasons, hadn’t played much, and are now having him sit in the press box. It’s crazy how they are killing his development. Just send him down to the minors.
Random2152 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll