SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Toronto Maple Leafs 2022 2023 Season Discussion (Part 3)

Jan. 27, 2023 at 7:25 a.m.
Quoting: Nathaniel
When i talk about Meier to the Leafs, it's because I would love to see that. Absolutely zero chance it happens. It amazes me that insiders say the Leafs won't move their 2023 1st or Knies for a rental, but then immediately turn around and say in the same breath that we are in on Meier as a rental. It's baffling. Obviously as a fan I want Meier, but I know it's not happening. I couldn't for 1 second muster up a decent guess at who we are targeting at the TDL. At this point I hope we buy low and retain our 2023 1st, we desperately need some prospects who could be legitimate game changers, and this is the perfect draft to address that

This is the thing for me, there are so many big names out there this tdl that it might be the perfect time to look for more under the radar guys that'll cost less. The main reason I'm so high on Beavillier if they can get him retained is that I think he has a very legitimate shot at outperforming his cap hit and acquisition cost - dude needs a change of scenery and probably won't cost much atm. Also has two years left, is 25, and has shown he can contribute in the post. If you can pull off a move of that nature (for anyone, not necessarily Beau) that would supplement the rest of what you do really well.
Jan. 27, 2023 at 10:31 a.m.
Ovchinnikov 137

Well fukc
Saskleaf liked this.
Jan. 27, 2023 at 10:36 a.m.
Ovchinnikov 137

Jan. 27, 2023 at 12:16 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Quoting: MatthewsFan

Cant wait to see the Swedish connection

Rielly - Holl is less than ideal though
Jan. 27, 2023 at 12:31 p.m.
Hakuna Matata

So um about that cheap O'Riley trade lul

Dubas go do it
Jan. 27, 2023 at 12:39 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137

I hope they give SDA another look while Matthews is out

🤮

Sandin Liljegren (why Keefe doesn’t stick with this is beyond me)

Quoting: aadoyle

Dubas go do it

Yup, they need another quality 3C
NorthernLeafsFan05 liked this.
Jan. 27, 2023 at 12:46 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
🤮

Sandin Liljegren (why Keefe doesn’t stick with this is beyond me)

Yup, they need another quality 3C

GIO Liligren last year was good and Sandin and Timmins did play together with the greyhound so it's not the worst. Hopefully Brodie's back soon as we're 1 more Timmins giveaway from going alright Dman trade time lul
Jan. 27, 2023 at 1:35 p.m.
Go leafs go

Well fukc

That sucks, but yah better now than in the playoffs.

I wonder if we’ll see a trade soon. Dubas likes his pre deadline deals anyway.
Jan. 27, 2023 at 2:10 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Yay or nay

Bunting Matthews Marner
Jarnkrok Tavares Nylander
Holmberg Domi Garland
McMann Kampf Engvall

Rielly Brodie
Sandin Liljegren
Giordano Holl

ZAR
Timmins
Braun
Saskleaf liked this.
Jan. 27, 2023 at 2:12 p.m.
Go leafs go
Yay or nay

Bunting Matthews Marner
Jarnkrok Tavares Nylander
Holmberg Domi Garland
McMann Kampf Engvall

Rielly Brodie
Sandin Liljegren
Giordano Holl

ZAR
Timmins
Braun

Sure, why not.
MatthewsFan liked this.
Jan. 27, 2023 at 2:59 p.m.

Dubas go do it

this is exactly why you wait til the deadline in this position, let's see what Holmberg can do in the top 6 role. Failing that, let's give Willy an extended look at C. Might not be pressing that we have a preference to C over LW if they hold down the fort
Jan. 27, 2023 at 3:00 p.m.
Quoting: Saskleaf
That sucks, but yah better now than in the playoffs.

I wonder if we’ll see a trade soon. Dubas likes his pre deadline deals anyway.

doubt it. Let's see what we have in Holmberg and Willy (as a C for an extended period), never know who can emerge internally as an option. Maybe they make a move closer to TDL if they don't do well enough
Jan. 27, 2023 at 3:02 p.m.

why is it necessarily less than ideal, they as a pair haven't been bad of late and Holl especially has been quite effective this year. Offenisve D plus stay at home D, the formula makes sense, let's see what happens and give it a chance.
Jan. 27, 2023 at 3:11 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Quoting: leafs101
why is it necessarily less than ideal, they as a pair haven't been bad of late and Holl especially has been quite effective this year. Offenisve D plus stay at home D, the formula makes sense, let's see what happens and give it a chance.

Not bad, just not optimal. Rielly - Liljegren has been more effective and Gio - Holl is a good pairing as well. I would've gone Rielly - Liljegren, Gio - Holl, Sandin - Timmins, but I guess theres a reason Im not the head coach lmao
Jan. 27, 2023 at 3:21 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
this is exactly why you wait til the deadline in this position, let's see what Holmberg can do in the top 6 role. Failing that, let's give Willy an extended look at C. Might not be pressing that we have a preference to C over LW if they hold down the fort

Holmberg cant win faceoffs and I dont see him being a driving offensive force

O'Rielly is the better guy yes hes having a down year but u cant be like oh Holmberg's better as lets be honest he aint. If we go into the playoffs with hopes Holmberg will be capable of being a Matthews or JT substitute in the event either gets hurt were doomed

He will be a nice 4th liner for us with the potential to be maybe on the third line but thats it. Will hopefully be a nice temporary fill in but if it comes to

O'Rielly vs Holmberg in a playoff run vs. Tampa sorry got to go O'Rielly as thats a guy (at the right price) we could use rn. Also Nylander at C has been an experiment tried for years with limited success best to give it up and move on
Jan. 27, 2023 at 3:24 p.m.
Holmberg cant win faceoffs and I dont see him being a driving offensive force

O'Rielly is the better guy yes hes having a down year but u cant be like oh Holmberg's better as lets be honest he aint. If we go into the playoffs with hopes Holmberg will be capable of being a Matthews or JT substitute in the event either gets hurt were doomed

He will be a nice 4th liner for us with the potential to be maybe on the third line but thats it. Will hopefully be a nice temporary fill in but if it comes to

O'Rielly vs Holmberg in a playoff run vs. Tampa sorry got to go O'Rielly as thats a guy (at the right price) we could use rn

let's give all internal options a chance in this stretch. Give both Holmberg and WIlly an extended look at 2C. If it's needed at the TDL, pursue external options. What if we just panicked when Muzzin, Brodie, Rielly went down? Would Liljegren have been able to prove himself the way he has with the minutes he's been getting and now continuing to earn? Maybe, maybe not. Same goes for Sandin, even Holl with how he stepped up. Let's wait and see how it goes.
Jan. 27, 2023 at 5:15 p.m.
I know he's been mentioned before, but Adam Henrique at half is really looking like a solid target. Solidifies the 3C role, good faceoff man, does most of his damage at even strength, has a couple years of term and can play up in the lineup if necessary. Him and a couple mid-six left LW's not named Kerfoot (Beauvillier, Nino, Vrana, Mantha, Duclair) and I'm pretty happy with that deadline.
Jan. 27, 2023 at 5:52 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason
I know he's been mentioned before, but Adam Henrique at half is really looking like a solid target. Solidifies the 3C role, good faceoff man, does most of his damage at even strength, has a couple years of term and can play up in the lineup if necessary. Him and a couple mid-six left LW's not named Kerfoot (Beauvillier, Nino, Vrana, Mantha, Duclair) and I'm pretty happy with that deadline.

Been preaching him for a while

Honestly he doesnt even have to play 3c. Like with Spezza he can play LW and take faceoffs for Holmberg on the third if need be. (I.e. Henrique-Holmberg-Jarnkrok)

Been debating to do a bigger trade involving him and Lunderstrom as both would fill 2 needs with 1 trade but still exploring

But as I put it in one of my older posts guys like Henrique (if Ana ret), Bonino, Acciari, Bjugstand, Luostarinen Parise, etc all make way to much sense

Wont cost us an arm and a leg and like Gio are extension candidates (Some already having a year more)
Jan. 27, 2023 at 6:08 p.m.
Go leafs go
doubt it. Let's see what we have in Holmberg and Willy (as a C for an extended period), never know who can emerge internally as an option. Maybe they make a move closer to TDL if they don't do well enough

They're definetly making a move at some point, and since Dubas likes his pre-deadline deals, I could see it happening soon. But maybe not.
Jan. 27, 2023 at 6:15 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Saskleaf
They're definetly making a move at some point, and since Dubas likes his pre-deadline deals, I could see it happening soon. But maybe not.

I feel Dubas only makes a move early if Matthews or Brodie are out longer than expected

His moves before were kind of made out of necessity as last year Muzzin and Sandin got hurt so in came Lybushkin

2 years before Anderson was hurt and Hutchinson stunk so in came Campbell

Now he might do it but I feel were probs gonna see moves on or just before the TDL (March 3rd) as Cap space be a bit limited rn (got 2mill)
Saskleaf liked this.
Jan. 27, 2023 at 6:23 p.m.
Amirov Forever

I know it's still far out, but if the Leafs (or any team for that matter) could pick up Novak out of FA, that would be huge. Really big fan of the guy
MatthewsFan liked this.
Jan. 27, 2023 at 6:25 p.m.
Amirov Forever

Fit wise? Definitely. Money wise? Definitely not. If it happens I'd be happy, but I wouldn't lose sleep if it werent
Saskleaf liked this.
Jan. 27, 2023 at 8:28 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Jan. 27, 2023 at 8:38 p.m.
Not a fan of Holmberg in the tp6 2 bad penalties not great

And rip liligren own goals are a killer feels bad
Jan. 27, 2023 at 8:43 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Guess defense is optional tonight. Literally allowing the Sens the easiest shots on Sammy without any net front coverage
Jan. 27, 2023 at 8:44 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Not a fan of Holmberg in the tp6 2 bad penalties not great

And rip liligren own goals are a killer feels bad

It’s the Engvall Kampf McMamn line that is getting worked.
Second game in a row that have not looked good

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll