Forums/Armchair-GM

Low Cost Moves with High Upside

Created by: gaz
Team: 2022-23 Carolina Hurricanes
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 8, 2023
Published: Feb. 9, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Both players would likely be able to be acquired without giving up key assets (unlike the cost to acquire Meier or any of the other big trade bait names) and have high upside in terms of the fit they'd have on this team. With Toews, he'd fit in perfectly with the team's structure& playing style, could slot in as a true #2 C and having Necas and Svech on his line would force him to keep up his speed to stay in the mix. With Ghost, he'd be a great option to help drive offense from the back end and wouldn't have to be relied on to play big minutes in a top 4 role against the other teams top lines, giving him more flexibility to jump in the rush with these more favorable matchups against bottom-6 lines, especially if paired with Chatfield or DeHaan who could adjust to play the role of a stay-at-home Dman.
Trades
CAR
  1. Toews, Jonathan ($5,250,000 retained)
CHI
  1. 2023 3rd round pick (PHI)
  2. 2024 5th round pick (CAR)
ARI
  1. Coghlan, Dylan
  2. 2024 2nd round pick (PHI)
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$82,500,000$81,366,917$112,500$1,000,000$1,133,083

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes
$5,400,000$5,400,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$8,460,250$8,460,250
C
UFA - 2
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
RW
RFA - 2
$7,750,000$7,750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 7
Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
$5,250,000$5,250,000
C
NMC
UFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RW
RFA - 2
$1,800,000$1,800,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$6,000,000$6,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RW
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
C, LW
NTC
UFA - 1
$4,820,000$4,820,000
C
UFA - 8
$762,500$762,500
LW, RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,300,000$5,300,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$5,280,000$5,280,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$4,500,000$4,500,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$5,250,000$5,250,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,025,000$4,025,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000
G
UFA - 1
Logo of the Arizona Coyotes
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$762,500$762,500
RD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$850,000$850,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$7,000,000$7,000,000
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$4,050,000$4,050,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RW
UFA - 1
Taxi Squad
$925,000$925,000 ($0$0$0$0)
C
RFA - 2
$750,000$750,000 ($0$0$0$0)
RW
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000 ($0$0$0$0)
LD
RFA - 1
$842,500$842,500 ($0$0$0$0) (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
G
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 9, 2023 at 9:44 a.m.
exo2769
Edited Feb. 9, 2023 at 10:08 a.m.
Quoting: Caniac555
Respectfully to Toews, the post said low cost high upside. I don’t see someone who can come in a hold down a middle six center
Spot as high upside.

That's fair. There's no one left in the market that can do that then. The centers are between ROR (currently still on 6 week IR, playing like Dog $hit even before that, AND unlike Toews...has actually come out and publicly said he wants to stay with the Blues) and Toews then the list drops a tier to Domi, Monahan (who hasn't played since December 5th), and Potentially Henrique...
Billy739 liked this.
Feb. 9, 2023 at 10:07 a.m.
Billy739
Quoting: ginandtacos
Unless Toews insisted on this and refused to waive for any other team, lol. A third round pick is the rough equivalent of a bag of pucks in this league, it wouldn't even be worth it to make this deal.

Last 2 times it was done 1 team upgraded double digit spots in the 3rd round at the draft .
The last was Eric Staal who was so slow that at the TDL with teams needing Centers no one wanted him but 8th seed MTL seeing it as low cost and no risk as our 4th Center was barely an AHL call up at that point.

Staal was ok beside the speed and aggression of Armia/Perry but the minute he left it he lost his NHL job and Captained the most embarassing roster for Team Canada at any level in my lifetime.
The reason i point out all that is Toews is still producing at a decent level under a Defensive Coach in a rebuilding system as the undisputed #1 Faceoff guy with #1 Percentage , 9th in faceoff wins and 57th in faceoff loss's .

Antoine Vermette playing at a similar level no where near as dominant as Toews is today got a 1st round pick and a LD prospect i believe it was.
His cap was 1.5m more then Vermette's was after CHI paid him to help win a cup
I guess i just dont get the argument against Toews that some people in the rooms making
Feb. 9, 2023 at 10:19 a.m.
Hurricane Waddell
Correct, and I’m not sure we don’t already have our dynamic 2C and nobody wants to admit moving him to C is the right move (Necas). Going after a scoring winger and having Svech-Necas-(Scoring Winger) has a tremendous amount of upside.

As an example - I could imagine Svech-Necas-Tarasenko as one of the more dynamic scoring lines in the league.

Quoting: exo2769
That's fair. There's no one left in the market that can do that then. The centers are between ROR (currently still on 6 week IR, playing like Dog $hit even before that, AND unlike Toews...has actually come out and publicly said he wants to stay with the Blues) and Toews then the list drops a tier to Domi, Monahan (who hasn't played since December 5th), and Potentially Henrique...
exo2769 and vikhodush liked this.
Feb. 9, 2023 at 10:22 a.m.
exo2769
Quoting: Caniac555
Correct, and I’m not sure we don’t already have our dynamic 2C and nobody wants to admit moving him to C is the right move (Necas). Going after a scoring winger and having Svech-Necas-(Scoring Winger) has a tremendous amount of upside.

As an example - I could imagine Svech-Necas-Tarasenko as one of the more dynamic scoring lines in the league.

He would be nice. I also think it you wanted a "lower" cost Center...that an under the radar move is Adam Henrique. Not exactly a thrilling move, but has an extra year on his contract, which means it more so falls inline with a Waddell type acquisition. Probably won't cost TOO much since he's an ok player...cap hit isn't that great, but with Patches on LTIR and space available for next year. CAR could keep Necas on the wing which is kinda where they like him...at least that's what their actions are telling us so far.
Feb. 9, 2023 at 10:27 a.m.
exo2769
Quoting: vikhodush
Even I, who doesn’t think Toews is worth much at this stage, think this is an underpay especially with max retention. I’d still rather go in another direction than guys like Toews or ROR personally even if it costs more.

I do like the ghost move tho.

A bit of "Buyer Beware" on ROR. He's publicly said he doesn't want to go anywhere...he wants to stay in STL. He's currently on IR for foot injury...he'll have about 5-8 games to prove that's past him. BUT even then, his performance this year thus far has been awful.

So how much in terms of assets are you willing to send to STL for an injured, poor performing (when not injured) player that doesn't want to be in CAR?
gaz liked this.
Feb. 9, 2023 at 10:32 a.m.
Hurricane Waddell
RBA said he’s concerned about Necas’s playmaking taking a hit at center, and he’s forgotten more about hockey than I will ever know. But if would think if you deploy the line correct, Necas should be perfectly fine making plays from C. Svech can wreak havoc from an entire half side of the ice, and you really only need someone who can bury rebounds and know how to play with skilled players.

If Rico was cheap, then sure. I’d be concerned about pace…IMO it’s the reason why KK nor Stastny have had success with Svech and Necas. That’s why I think a winger would be a better add.

He would be nice. I also think it you wanted a "lower" cost Center...that an under the radar move is Adam Henrique. Not exactly a thrilling move, but has an extra year on his contract, which means it more so falls inline with a Waddell type acquisition. Probably won't cost TOO much since he's an ok player...cap hit isn't that great, but with Patches on LTIR and space available for next year. CAR could keep Necas on the wing which is kinda where they like him...at least that's what their actions are telling us so far.
Feb. 9, 2023 at 10:40 a.m.
A bit of "Buyer Beware" on ROR. He's publicly said he doesn't want to go anywhere...he wants to stay in STL. He's currently on IR for foot injury...he'll have about 5-8 games to prove that's past him. BUT even then, his performance this year thus far has been awful.

So how much in terms of assets are you willing to send to STL for an injured, poor performing (when not injured) player that doesn't want to be in CAR?

And we all remember how ROR plays when he doesn't wanna be on a team. He loses his love for the game real quick!
Feb. 9, 2023 at 11:02 a.m.

No i totally agree. Like I said in this thread I’d hope canes steer clear of both ROR and Toews. If I had to choose one I’d go with Toews for the reason you stated and he’d likely cost less to acquire.
exo2769 and gaz liked this.
Feb. 9, 2023 at 12:42 p.m.
Quoting: Billy739
Did not say they did , dont care if they do
Toews has a Full NMC the discussion was where he'd go or what it would take for him to leave.
This summer he was talking in an interview about this timeline with the TDL approaching and his emphasis was on retiring in CHI as Captain.
Unless one of those teams step up he's not going to Domi himself on a CAR team because he has full control and isnt in a position where he needs to.

Its Doan all over again where eveyone though he fought for the NMC not to excersize it
While Kane's still a top guys Toews is settling into a Role Model/Leadership role which for him a Rebuilding CHI is a chance at building his legacy or building on it anyways.
If he spends his final years like Jumbo Joe Thorton chasing and failing to win cups it diminishes him .

All excuses aside CAR isnt even being considered anymore then MTL is
Atleast our fans are rational enough not to see this as a slight on MTL but rather a personal choice by a player who has that right.
CAR is a great team and many players are gonna want to take lowball insulting offers just to get a shot at the playoffs which CAR offers.
But Toews isnt one of them and nothing you've said contradicts his and his agents actions to date.
There's no examples like with Kane about him wanting to pursue a cup or anything like that with verified sources to back them.

Arguing Landeskog is a Center says you dont know other systems well
Landeskog is probably the best Secondary Center or Winger who takes Faceoffs in the NHL.
He helps break in Mckinnon's ,Newhooks and helps take good players like Kadri and make them Superstars.

Landerskog runs Left side top 6 and Rantanen runs Right side top 6
Lehkonen and Nichuskin player either side as needed but primarily AL on LW and VN on RW
Mckinnon and Kadri ran Center until this year now its Mckinnon and Compher hence their desire to upgrade at the TDL their 2nd C.

The thing about your logic is it snowballs getting away from the original question or statement .
You just spew a bunch of points you think are counter arguments in the hopes someone wont go through them and call BS like asseting Landeskog is a Center or their LW isnt desperate for him to return right now as without him Compher is just a Winger playing Center. They've needed to replace Kadri all year there is a million articles on it but you're playing dumb insisting they arent after Toews /a center?

I get why you have only 7 likes now

Pay attention, I'm copying the first couple lines of the post again so you can read them carefully:

"None of the three teams you mentioned have the cap space to bring in Toews as it stands currently. Toronto will likely go for a defenseman, not a forward in all likelihood and would have to move money out. Colorado has Landeskog coming back in the near future so I'm not sure how they'd fit Toews in tho center is an area of potential need for them."

I never said Landeskog is a full-time center, I iterated that he's coming back during the regular season for you to take into consideration the cap compliance implications of that roster move (ie 7million getting added back to the cap hit from LTIR). I also clearly state in the post that center is a potential point of weakness in their roster. Additionally, I don't know why you're getting personal about how I'm "spewing BS" and referencing the number of likes I have when I'm providing a counter point to your original post as well as the number of likes having nothing to do with Toews potentially being traded to the Canes. It seems maybe you'd be inclined to read through the full post rather than skimming the post and making assertions that are way off base.
Feb. 9, 2023 at 2:49 p.m.
Billy739
Quoting: gaz
Pay attention, I'm copying the first couple lines of the post again so you can read them carefully:

"None of the three teams you mentioned have the cap space to bring in Toews as it stands currently. Toronto will likely go for a defenseman, not a forward in all likelihood and would have to move money out. Colorado has Landeskog coming back in the near future so I'm not sure how they'd fit Toews in tho center is an area of potential need for them."

I never said Landeskog is a full-time center, I iterated that he's coming back during the regular season for you to take into consideration the cap compliance implications of that roster move (ie 7million getting added back to the cap hit from LTIR). I also clearly state in the post that center is a potential point of weakness in their roster. Additionally, I don't know why you're getting personal about how I'm "spewing BS" and referencing the number of likes I have when I'm providing a counter point to your original post as well as the number of likes having nothing to do with Toews potentially being traded to the Canes. It seems maybe you'd be inclined to read through the full post rather than skimming the post and making assertions that are way off base.

Again its not about who will take Toews , reality is he doesnt seem intersted in waiving his NMC at all unlike Kane who's considering it.
It becomes which teams does he fit on and COL is a team where he fits especially being the #1 undisputed Faceoff Center with 63% Faceoff Win Rate and would be 4th in COL scorin on RS 5m dollar cap hit

In order to get Toews to move it would have to be the right situation and those teams either cant afford him or i guess if you're right , dont need him i guess ?
It tells me Toews is staying in COL

NHL doesnt fine teams who go over cap anyways
I dare you to find an example of it happening
Not a 100k fine or something with no merrit in contrast to the NBA where you pay the league dollar per dollar what you were over and lose cap off next season equaling what you went over .
NBA takes it serious while the NHL is not in any ways serious about it . Its like the CRA vs IRS with NHL vs NBA as one rarely fines people instead letting taxes go uncollected while the other will end your life putting you in jail if you dont pay up. Its funny to because these extreme measure's came after Bettman left the NBA and they had to fix the damage he did.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll