Forums/Armchair-GM

Jonathan Toews

Created by: Kyle_Davidson
Team: 2022-23 Chicago Blackhawks
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 19, 2023
Published: Feb. 19, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I know he’s sick, isn’t 100% , and wants to focus on his health first. As long as everyone is aware of that and has the opportunity to come back at his own pace why not trade him in case he feels up to coming back.
Trades
CHI
  1. 2024 2nd round pick (VGK)
Additional Details:
2024 2nd is conditional on Jonathan Toews playing a game in either the regular season or the playoffs.
VGK
  1. Toews, Jonathan
Additional Details:
Pretty sure Vegas can take his entire contract and put it on LTIR for a neutral exchange.
Buyouts
Recapture Fees
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$82,500,000$58,510,546$237,500$1,015,000$23,989,454
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$2,625,000$2,625,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
LW, C
RFA - 2
$2,650,000$2,650,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RW, C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$758,333$758,333
LW
RFA - 2
$1,200,000$1,200,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$1,150,000$1,150,000
RW, C, LW
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
LW, C, RW
RFA - 1
$950,000$950,000
C
RFA - 2
$758,333$758,333
RW
RFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
RW, C
RFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$9,500,000$9,500,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 8
$3,800,000$3,800,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$1,350,000$1,350,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$4,400,000$4,400,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$883,750$883,750 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
G
RFA - 2
$950,000$950,000
LD
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
RFA - 1
$859,167$859,167 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
LD
RFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$975,000$975,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
LD
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
G
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 19, 2023 at 5:52 p.m.
I don’t think anyone’s giving up a 2nd for him. Probably getting towards the territory of a 4th.
Feb. 19, 2023 at 5:54 p.m.
Bc that’s against his wishes and he has full control of the situation

Hawks would be telling him to waive so they can treat him like an asset and Not a human being which is pretty disrespectful considering his comments and wishes
Feb. 19, 2023 at 5:55 p.m.
So guy just wrote is not healthy, will focus on health and won't be trade, and yet here we are
Feb. 19, 2023 at 5:55 p.m.
Toews could be traded if the Blackhawks want to take salary on rental players to fill out roster spots.

I doubt Toews is going anywhere before free agency opens.
Feb. 19, 2023 at 5:59 p.m.
Kyle from Chicago
Quoting: coga16
Bc that’s against his wishes and he has full control of the situation

Hawks would be telling him to waive so they can treat him like an asset and Not a human being which is pretty disrespectful considering his comments and wishes

That’s not what I meant by this post, I’ll quote the description since you obviously didn’t read it.

I know he’s sick, isn’t 100% , and wants to focus on his health first. As long as everyone is aware of that and has the opportunity to come back at his own pace why not trade him in case he feels up to coming back.

Never said anything even remotely like you are insinuating.
Feb. 19, 2023 at 5:59 p.m.
He has a NMC and isn't going to waive? Org wants to do right by their 2010s superstars?
Feb. 19, 2023 at 6:01 p.m.
Kyle from Chicago
Quoting: Wadejos123
He has a NMC and isn't going to waive? Org wants to do right by their 2010s superstars?

Read the description. #19 still has to sign off on this and wouldn’t be wronged.
Feb. 19, 2023 at 6:07 p.m.
Bandwagon fairweathe
Take the 10 million in the off-season and let him walk away, always nice to get the assets, but this scenario and the warrior he’s been along with the success, not a bad thing to let him be a potential career Hawk.
Feb. 19, 2023 at 6:35 p.m.
Edited Feb. 19, 2023 at 6:42 p.m.
Quoting: Kyle_Davidson
That’s not what I meant by this post, I’ll quote the description since you obviously didn’t read it.

Never said anything even remotely like you are insinuating.

Nice edit of your team name that said they should still trade toews,

So your description and narrative said 2 different things which is why I posted. Why did you edit the roster name then

And it’s still disrespectful to ask him again, he has said he wants to stay, it’s a closed book now
Feb. 19, 2023 at 7:24 p.m.
Kyle from Chicago
Nice edit of your team name that said they should still trade toews,

So your description and narrative said 2 different things which is why I posted. Why did you edit the roster name then

And it’s still disrespectful to ask him again, he has said he wants to stay, it’s a closed book now

I edited the title from “Jonathan Toews should be traded” to just “Jonathan Toews” in reaction to your and others post which got the wrong idea from the title. I never intended to say they should trade him against his will hence the description. I don’t see anything wrong with changing the title for that reason.

Also, still two weeks to go until the deadline, things could change between now and then although given the statement it’s very unlikely. Still, What would be wrong with KD going to Toews on deadline day and saying “I’ve got a deal lined up if you want to move no pressure” I figure as long as there is open communication from all parties and conditions to match up with performance it’s a good opportunity for a guy likely staring down retirement.
Feb. 19, 2023 at 7:28 p.m.
I edited the title from “Jonathan Toews should be traded” to just “Jonathan Toews” in reaction to your and others post which got the wrong idea from the title. I never intended to say they should trade him against his will hence the description. I don’t see anything wrong with changing the title for that reason.

Also, still two weeks to go until the deadline, things could change between now and then although given the statement it’s very unlikely. Still, What would be wrong with KD going to Toews on deadline day and saying “I’ve got a deal lined up if you want to move no pressure” I figure as long as there is open communication from all parties and conditions to match up with performance it’s a good opportunity for a guy likely staring down retirement.

Yes it would be wrong bc it’s disrespectful to try to work on deals on moving him after he said he wants to stay

Asking him to waive is bad enough but coming to him with an worked out deal asking him if he would waive is beyond disrespectful,

Toews said he wishes for the rest of the season, there is no scenario of the hawks working or anything from now on..
Feb. 19, 2023 at 7:36 p.m.
Kyle from Chicago
Yes it would be wrong bc it’s disrespectful to try to work on deals on moving him after he said he wants to stay

Asking him to waive is bad enough but coming to him with an worked out deal asking him if he would waive is beyond disrespectful,

Toews said he wishes for the rest of the season, there is no scenario of the hawks working or anything from now on..

You just repeated yourself and didn’t explain why it’s disrespectful. Giving Toews an option to play playoff hockey is not disrespectful, and GM’s talk about trades without players knowledge constantly. For all intents and purposes this scenario is trading his rights (with his consent) and giving him a shot on a contender (which he can choose to play for whenever he’s ready).

My understanding is that he wouldn’t be traded because he doesn’t believe it’s fair because he’s not 100%. What if a GM said I don’t care I want him?
Feb. 19, 2023 at 7:42 p.m.
You just repeated yourself and didn’t explain why it’s disrespectful. Giving Toews an option to play playoff hockey is not disrespectful, and GM’s talk about trades without players knowledge constantly. For all intents and purposes this scenario is trading his rights (with his consent) and giving him a shot on a contender (which he can choose to play for whenever he’s ready).

My understanding is that he wouldn’t be traded because he doesn’t believe it’s fair because he’s not 100%. What if a GM said I don’t care I want him?

Use common sense and it explains why it’s disrespectful

Read his press release and then ask yourself, would you appreciate if the hawks didnt at all respect the wishes of yours even though they claimed they did? So the hawks aren’t being patient and respectful of the situation by coming back to him 2 weeks later with a trade idea. So the hawks aren’t supporting his wishes for the season and trying to change his mind asking him to waive. That’s why it’s disrespectful.

The only way this changes if toews and toews alone approaches the team and has a change of heart

Considering how toews has been one of the most protective players in regards to public perception of him, there is basically 0 chance he reconsiders. Someone as calculated as he is doesn’t put out a press release unless he’s 100% certain this is what he’s got to do. He’s not going yo change his mind now
Feb. 19, 2023 at 8:03 p.m.
Kyle from Chicago

Read his press release and then ask yourself, would you appreciate if the hawks didnt at all respect the wishes of yours even though they claimed they did? So the hawks aren’t being patient and respectful of the situation by coming back to him 2 weeks later with a trade idea. So the hawks aren’t supporting his wishes for the season and trying to change his mind asking him to waive. That’s why it’s disrespectful.

The only way this changes if toews and toews alone approaches the team and has a change of heart

Considering how toews has been one of the most protective players in regards to public perception of him, there is basically 0 chance he reconsiders. Someone as calculated as he is doesn’t put out a press release unless he’s 100% certain this is what he’s got to do. He’s not going yo change his mind now

You are very likely right about this, but I still don’t see any reason why it’s disrespectful to come to him for a final check in

I really don’t see anything wrong with checking in during the final hour and giving him the option. The guy is a competitor and the trade is paperwork for all intents and purposes. What is he going to do flip out because you gave him to opportunity to go to a contender? If he’s healthy I bet he would want to go.

You are right about the statement stuff but I’m not lobbying for anything outside of Toews interests here.
Feb. 19, 2023 at 8:10 p.m.
You are very likely right about this, but I still don’t see any reason why it’s disrespectful to come to him for a final check in

I really don’t see anything wrong with checking in during the final hour and giving him the option. The guy is a competitor and the trade is paperwork for all intents and purposes. What is he going to do flip out because you gave him to opportunity to go to a contender? If he’s healthy I bet he would want to go.

You are right about the statement stuff but I’m not lobbying for anything outside of Toews interests here.

If he’s concerned about his health, I don’t think a last minute offer to join a contender, moving to a new city, new stressful situation, separating himself from his home and family is high on his priority list
Feb. 19, 2023 at 8:14 p.m.
Kyle from Chicago
If he’s concerned about his health, I don’t think a last minute offer to join a contender, moving to a new city, new stressful situation, separating himself from his home and family is high on his priority list

He doesn’t have to do any of that until he’s ready to play. In this exercise both GM’s are aware and respectful of Toews situation. There’s no rule that says after a trade he must immediately join the team he’s traded to. Honestly it would be more beneficial for Vegas if he stayed on LTIR until the playoffs.
Feb. 19, 2023 at 8:22 p.m.
He doesn’t have to do any of that until he’s ready to play. In this exercise both GM’s are aware and respectful of Toews situation. There’s no rule that says after a trade he must immediately join the team he’s traded to. Honestly it would be more beneficial for Vegas if he stayed on LTIR until the playoffs.

Again you are treating him like an asset and not a person, he doesn’t want to go anywhere.

This situation is not respectful of his wishes, his wishes are to remain jn Chicago and get healthy

Unless he comes out a week later and said he had a change of heart there is no respectful toews trade talks by any GM. Bc any trade talks are GM basically saying we heard what you said toews but we don’t care, trying to work out a deal and we are hoping you change your mind ,
Feb. 19, 2023 at 8:50 p.m.
Kyle from Chicago
Again you are treating him like an asset and not a person, he doesn’t want to go anywhere.

This situation is not respectful of his wishes, his wishes are to remain jn Chicago and get healthy

Unless he comes out a week later and said he had a change of heart there is no respectful toews trade talks by any GM. Bc any trade talks are GM basically saying we heard what you said toews but we don’t care, trying to work out a deal and we are hoping you change your mind ,

I don’t think there’s anything left to be said in this conversation so I’ll finish it on my end with this final statement.

During no point in this exercise have I considered Jonathan Toews as an “Asset” to be traded. You may disagree with that and you are entitled to your opinion but that has never been my intention. Sure, I may have picked a poor time to pose the question given the statement that came out and definitely didn’t help make the title ambiguous. I just don’t understand your stance as to why it’s disrespectful to offer Toews that opportunity given that there is 100% open communication between all involved parties. It’s not like this kind of interaction would ever come out to the public (if he again decided to stay) so Toews need not worry about his perception, not that exercising his NMC would hurt that perception. I think you are coming from a good place with your concerns about Toews and feeling that he is somehow disrespected in this scenario but are overthinking it. This post stems more from my disappointment that I won’t see Toews play in the playoffs this year than wanting a 2nd round pick for the “asset”.

I appreciate your engagement on this topic despite the fact that we couldn’t come to an understanding. Until next time.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll