SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

49Toronto Maple Leafs 2022 2023 Season Discussion (Part 4)

Mar. 21, 2023 at 12:09 a.m.
Amirov Forever
Quoting: MatthewsFan
Malgin’s most common line mates:
Kampf/ZAR 98 min
Rodrigues/Newhook 43min
Nikushkin/Compher 36min
Tavares/Marner 36min

Put offensive players in position to succeed.

We did though 🤷‍♂️

Realistically, Malgin is no game changer. We tried him out, he didn't do much, and his absence has not affected us in the slightest. I wanted him to succeed in Toronto, and it looked like he may have at times, but for the most part we was simply a warm body
Mar. 21, 2023 at 12:17 a.m.
Amirov Forever
Jarnkrok - Matthews - Nylander
Tavares - OReilly - Marner
Bunting - Lafferty - Kerfoot
AstonReese - Kampf - Acciari

Rielly - Liljegren
McCabe - Brodie
Gio/Gus - Holl/Schenn

Samsonov
Murray

Malgin is no better than anyone in the top 6. He would be forced into a defensive / checking role. In that role, he is no better than anyone we have in the bottom 6.

Engvall is better than Kerfoot, but Kerfoot has a more proven playoff drive and has also been very versatile for us (as much as I dislike him). He is no better than anyone else in the bottom 6.

Sandin is no better defensively than any defenseman we have on the roster. His offense is fine, but we have Gus and Rielly.

Joey Anderson isn't even the 13th forward for this team.

Are there former Leafs finding success elsewhere? Yeah. Did they find it here? No. I'm getting so tired of this rhetoric in Leafs nation. I have been guilty of it, but after the dust settles and I am not driven by emotion, it makes sense as to why we let go of the guys we did. I'm glad they're doing well elsewhere, but they did next to nothing here
Mar. 21, 2023 at 12:22 a.m.
Ovchinnikov 137

Is taking out players that can drive offence a result of this or just a slump/new players adapting to a new system. Time will tell
Mar. 21, 2023 at 1:30 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Mar. 21, 2023 at 1:45 a.m.
Quoting: Nathaniel
Jarnkrok - Matthews - Nylander
Tavares - OReilly - Marner
Bunting - Lafferty - Kerfoot
AstonReese - Kampf - Acciari

Rielly - Liljegren
McCabe - Brodie
Gio/Gus - Holl/Schenn

Samsonov
Murray

Malgin is no better than anyone in the top 6. He would be forced into a defensive / checking role. In that role, he is no better than anyone we have in the bottom 6.

Engvall is better than Kerfoot, but Kerfoot has a more proven playoff drive and has also been very versatile for us (as much as I dislike him). He is no better than anyone else in the bottom 6.

Sandin is no better defensively than any defenseman we have on the roster. His offense is fine, but we have Gus and Rielly.

Joey Anderson isn't even the 13th forward for this team.

Are there former Leafs finding success elsewhere? Yeah. Did they find it here? No. I'm getting so tired of this rhetoric in Leafs nation. I have been guilty of it, but after the dust settles and I am not driven by emotion, it makes sense as to why we let go of the guys we did. I'm glad they're doing well elsewhere, but they did next to nothing here

Honestly for playoffs I wonder about

Bunting-Matthews-Jarnkrok
Kerfoot-Tavares-Marner
Lafferty-ROR-Nylander
ZAR-Kampf-Acciari

McCabe-Brodie
Rielly-Schenn
Gio-Liligren

Sammy starts unless Murray has a few more of those OTT show stoppers then idk

U spread out scoring, continue to build on chemistry

Lafferty and Nylander have started something along with Matthews and Jarnkrok, JT and Marner just works

And the 4th line can do its thing
Mar. 21, 2023 at 1:47 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
13 games left and somehow Leafs have not had a single 5 on 3 PP

And people say the refs help Toronto

Like Anaheim and Columbus heck even the Arizona Coyotes have had one

Thats how mind-blowing it is and our pp if 5th in the League.

Watch them get one the final game in the NHL when AM, MM, JT, and WN are resting lul
Mar. 21, 2023 at 6:09 a.m.
Quoting: aadoyle
Last year he drafted Minten 38OA when in the rankings this is where he was

Ranked #64 by ELITEPROSPECTS.COM
Ranked #47 by TSN/BOB McKENZIE
Ranked #101 by MCKEEN’S HOCKEY
Ranked #85 by TSN/CRAIG BUTTON
Ranked #28 by NHL CENTRAL SCOUTING (NA Skaters)
Ranked #68 by RECRUIT SCOUTING
Ranked #94 by DOBBERPROSPECTS

This is an example of drafting based on need. As if he wanted the best guy out there Goyette or Belluz would have happened as all were ranked better and have higher projections . Leafs needed a 3c with some bite to his game so he went and drafted Minten, didnt trade down (Maybe should have), didnt gamble on if he would be available later, he did it as there was a need. And with the lack of certain prospects I mentioned earlier and with the changes to the scouting department would not surprise me if a guy like Simashev happens. As Dubas keeps surprising us

No. It's an example of a teams draft board being different from third party rankings. Again, my point was not to say that organization needs don't play in to a team ranking one guy over the next, but you don't go in to a draft with a plan to draft a LD with your first rounder regardless of who's on the board at the time.
Mar. 21, 2023 at 9:49 a.m.
Dubas almost always drafts based on position of need early unless its someone from SOO then your almost always guaranteed to come. 2015 was Hunter and besides Marner not a very good drafter and surprisingly that was the one case he moved away from his norm. As if he stuck to it Hanafin would have probs happened.

As for Dubas Amirov and Knies classic examples as he even said with Amirov, we see him in a few years contributing to this team. And this was with Mercer and Schneider sitting there who most scouts viewed as better. But still the need for LW was present.

Another good example Knies and the need for a power forward. The signs were there Hyman was leaving and so in comes Knies who scouts said looked like Hyman in junior but with a better shot and who filled the PF spot. Wonder if Hyman extended would Knies have even been drafted. Some food for thought wink

Kind of the same with all the goalies. He knew the pool was weak went and drafted 3 goalies then sighed 3 junior FA (Cavelin, Petruzelli, McKay). Kind of mimicking Carolina's system not complaining but interesting.

RN Leafs weak points are C and LD (With Sandin's departure). And as we saw last year Dubas went and got a C in Minten when it was clear we needed some C prospects. And if were going hes the best Belluz was available and scouts had him higher. Now with Sandin's departure if I could go back in time I would tell him go get Hutson but hey we dont got no time driving cars. But still would not surprise me if he does it again or goes and gets a LD to start filling in that hole in the pool.

In the end I feel 2023 will probs be a Center unless ROR extends which rumor has it Dubas is pushing for. And if this happens and Bunting leaves maybe we see a LW drafted. If both are extended then got a feeling a LD like (Allen, Simashev, Lindstein, etc.) is coming unless some guy from the SOO quickly rises the ranks but based on Dubas's last 2 drafts he will probs go off the norm again and draft Simashev 6'4 200 pounds

minten
Mar. 21, 2023 at 10:48 a.m.
Ovchinnikov 137

Sheds some light on the summer
Frv2pfHXsAAxnaj?format=jpg&name=large

Frv2pfwagAEGSFH?format=jpg&name=900x900
Mar. 21, 2023 at 11:22 a.m.
Amirov Forever

Good piece from Kloke. I'm still bitter that we moved Sandin, but it is what it is and I'm glad he's succeeding. His defense was too shotty to rely on in a playoff run
capsfan2121 liked this.
Mar. 21, 2023 at 11:38 a.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Quoting: Nathaniel
Good piece from Kloke. I'm still bitter that we moved Sandin, but it is what it is and I'm glad he's succeeding. His defense was too shotty to rely on in a playoff run

I mean we’ve been bleeding chances since the additions but agree this was a great read and absolutely move on.

Can sometimes forget the human element players have to deal with off the ice
NorthernLeafsFan05 liked this.
Mar. 21, 2023 at 11:39 a.m.

This is good insight...and just goes to prove we, as fans, never know the full story. Whether that's personal conversations/desires/needs or otherwise....I know I was probably quick to assume that Sandin was just pushing for more money/term this past summer
MatthewsFan liked this.
Mar. 21, 2023 at 11:42 a.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Quoting: Juice
This is good insight...and just goes to prove we, as fans, never know the full story. Whether that's personal conversations/desires/needs or otherwise....I know I was probably quick to assume that Sandin was just pushing for more money/term this past summer

Me too
Mar. 21, 2023 at 12:23 p.m.
Tintin over 1122

Hope his mom is doing better. And with family struggles the capitals locker room is the best imo to help with situations like this.
Mar. 21, 2023 at 7:55 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Lafferty first goal as a Leaf and McMann first point as a Leaf

Only new guys left for goals

Schenn
Gustafsson
Mar. 21, 2023 at 8:00 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
GUS JUST GOT ROBBED HOLY ****

Dammit would have lowered the list to just Schenn lul

Also as the games go by been getting more and more impressed with Gustafsson
Mar. 21, 2023 at 8:37 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Dont know what McCabe and Liligren were doing there not good coverage 4 on 4
Mar. 21, 2023 at 8:59 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
McCabe-Liligren not looking great out there this second period

And when your battling for a spot that kind of pass does not look good for Liligren
Mar. 21, 2023 at 9:03 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Should not have

Bunting-JT-Marner
McCabe-Liligren

Out together its been rough every time those 5 have been on the ice this period
Mar. 21, 2023 at 9:08 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Leafs can never play 60 mins of hockey

Had a good first and have been **** this entire second period with turnovers galore
Mar. 21, 2023 at 9:11 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Only guys who looked good that period Matthews and Jarnkrok everyone else needs to wake the **** up

Kind of feels like a game Schenn should have been in as his physicality would have come in handy
Mar. 21, 2023 at 9:37 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Marner gets goal then makes a bad pass resulting in Isles 4th goal

Its mistakes like these that are mind boggling. As tonight since the second period its just been bad pass and turnover galore

Only Matthews and Jarnkrok have looked good
Mar. 21, 2023 at 9:46 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Mar. 21, 2023 at 9:56 p.m.
Never want to see McCabe-Liligren again

Its worse than Rielly-Holl

Rielly-Brodie (when healthy if not Schenn)
McCabe-Holl
Gio-Liligren

SIMPLE

Also someone get McCabe a 4 leaf clover as it seems bad deflections and him are glued to the hip lul
Mar. 21, 2023 at 9:58 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Mar. 21, 2023 at 10:11 p.m.
After the performance he had vs. OTT idk would have started Murray tonight

As despite how bad the team played in front of him he stopped 48 shots

Idk it seems road games are Sammy's kryptonite and it doesnt help we played like **** in front of him for the remaining 40mins

Keefe should tell him to go be with his wife and bring up Woll as Murray/Woll for this roadtrip honestly isnt a bad thought considering Sammy is 6-7-1 on the road
palhal liked this.
Mar. 21, 2023 at 10:20 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
After the performance he had vs. OTT idk would have started Murray tonight

Is it just me, or are the Leafs the only "good" team that go from looking like true contenders one game and then looking like a lottery team the next?
Mar. 21, 2023 at 10:27 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
How to stop the Leafs? Clog up the middle of the ice and keep everything to the outside. NYI gave the Leafs nothing. NYI don't give up a whole lot of time and space in the offensive zone. This was a good playoff test. If Kampf and ZAR aren't going to be involved in goals for the Leafs, they can't be responsible for goals against. That crushed TOR last year against TBL. But they did have a great shift before the Marner goal. Way too many turnovers tonight. Puck management and decision making have to better when playing against strong transitional teams.

I was hoping with the additions Dubas made getting greasy goals was something we could count on in games like this. I’m left wondering why again Dubas doubled down on defensive minded players. Sure puts a lot of pressure on O’Reilly and possibly Knies to come in and provide some offence. I really don’t like what TOR did over the TDL, happy with O’Reilly, Acciari, and McCabe. Hate everything else.

I’m honestly curious when other fans are going to see the issues with the makeup of this roster.

There is such a lack of chemistry with this group.

Pick a fukcin lineup and start to create something

First night in a while they were able to out chance an opponent, so that’s something.
CF 59 CA 41
SCF 31 SCA 21
HDCF 15 HDCA 10

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll