Forums/Armchair-GM

Leafs flat cap

Created by: PuckPal
Team: 2017-18 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 11, 2017
Published: Jun. 14, 2017
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
So before JETS fans say Trouba is worth more look at what Shattinkirk got and when you put into the calculation he is still not a top pair calibre dman but also a RFA for a few years a mid 1st this year and a 45 pt LHD with term on a good contract this is fair value. I know I have put the NYI trade here before but before comenting realize we need size and skill on Matthews/Nylander line. Kapanen unless they trade Brown really doesn't have a spot available to him when you look at how Babcook likes to complement lines.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$2,000,000
1$1,000,000
1$700,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$2,500,000
1$2,500,000
1$1,000,000
Trades
TOR
  1. 2018 3rd round pick (VGK)
WPG
  1. Gardiner, Jake
  2. 2017 1st round pick (TOR)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$73,000,000$63,278,333$5,370,000$5,525,000$9,721,667
Left WingCentreRight Wing
$2,500,000$2,500,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
C
UFA - 2
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW
UFA - 2
$4,250,000$4,250,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$4,200,000$4,200,000
C, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW
UFA - 1
$2,950,000$2,950,000
RW, LW, C
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
C
UFA - 5
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LW, C
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 4
$612,500$612,500
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$736,666$736,666 (Performance Bonus$125,000$125K)
RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 5
$2,812,500$2,812,500
RD
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LD/RD
UFA - 3
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
UFA - 7
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LD
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
RD
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
G
UFA - 2
$1,250,000$1,250,000
LD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$5,250,000$5,250,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 3

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jun. 14, 2017 at 9:29 a.m.
By most WAR and GAR charts Trouba was a top 10 defensman this season. He was also easily the jets best dmen this season and their 2nd most important player on the team. Not sure why people think he isn't a top pairing dmen. I also hold Gardiner in high regard my only issue is the age difference between the 2 and that really both are controllable for only 3 more years.
Jun. 14, 2017 at 9:40 a.m.
TML On The Rise!
Personally I'd take out that NYI trade. Its an overpayment for one and Hyman is going to be on that wing. That's what Babcock wants. I'd then take Kapanen and add him to the WPG trade and take out the 1st and add in a 2018 2nd. So it would look like this:

Gardiner
Kapanen
2018 2nd (TOR)

for

Trouba

WPG won't do any trade unless its one of the 3 big guns for TOR. We aren't trading them so tbh I think we'd have a better shot at landing Myers from WPG.
Jun. 14, 2017 at 9:51 a.m.
#LeafsFever
You need to factor in the fact that Shattenkirk was a pure rental while Trouba becomes an RFA after his deal is up so he is still under team control. I really don't like Trouba's attitude though. Seems more drama follows him than necessary for a dressing room (the Leafs) that is all about culture, apparently. I'd much rather the Leafs make a bigger deal with the Islanders. People also seem to forget that Gardiner just had a fantastic year and is on a an extremely reasonable deal with term. Although this is all quite theoretical, if, say, the Flames needed to save money, I would love to see a hockey deal swap of Jake Gardiner for Dougie Hamilton.
CD282 liked this.
Jun. 14, 2017 at 9:58 a.m.
Quoting: Laynious
Personally I'd take out that NYI trade. Its an overpayment for one and Hyman is going to be on that wing. That's what Babcock wants. I'd then take Kapanen and add him to the WPG trade and take out the 1st and add in a 2018 2nd. So it would look like this:

Gardiner
Kapanen
2018 2nd (TOR)

for

Trouba

WPG won't do any trade unless its one of the 3 big guns for TOR. We aren't trading them so tbh I think we'd have a better shot at landing Myers from WPG.

I Get Hyman was on the line last year but I feel that was more no other LW able to play that role. Nelson is a more All round player and if babs had him available would be put there. Also, if you look at Kapanen projections he is probably only a 50 pt RW at best and Veliev is not going to probably ever play on the leafs cause of 4 better LHD options. The Trouba deal seeing how weak every scout says it is I think getting a young proven top 4 is worth it. I would consider putting Lievo in the deal which might help close the deal seeing the jets could see him as a future 2nd line LW something they probably need cause forward depth is an issue for them but I do feel getting Trouba as Reilly partner will solidify this d for a very long time.
Jun. 14, 2017 at 10:01 a.m.
Quoting: JuniorGM
By most WAR and GAR charts Trouba was a top 10 defensman this season. He was also easily the jets best dmen this season and their 2nd most important player on the team. Not sure why people think he isn't a top pairing dmen. I also hold Gardiner in high regard my only issue is the age difference between the 2 and that really both are controllable for only 3 more years.

I Get that but I do feel Trouba is only going to stay 3 more years then walk so seeing they are close in age and Gardiner if he feels he fits the system which I do feel he does has a better chance of staying in WPG.
Jun. 14, 2017 at 10:04 a.m.
TML On The Rise!
Quoting: PuckPal

Gardiner
Kapanen
2018 2nd (TOR)

for

Trouba

I Get Hyman was on the line last year but I feel that was more no other LW able to play that role. Nelson is a more All round player and if babs had him available would be put there. Also, if you look at Kapanen projections he is probably only a 50 pt RW at best and Veliev is not going to probably ever play on the leafs cause of 4 better LHD options. The Trouba deal seeing how weak every scout says it is I think getting a young proven top 4 is worth it. I would consider putting Lievo in the deal which might help close the deal seeing the jets could see him as a future 2nd line LW something they probably need cause forward depth is an issue for them but I do feel getting Trouba as Reilly partner will solidify this d for a very long time.

I hear ya. I just think that we could maybe get a little more value from a lesser trade for a Myers or a Gudbransen type. I've always liked Myers and what he brings and I think in the right situation he'd kill it again. Yeah Trouba would be awesome to have but the price, I can only imagine, is going to be stupid.
Jun. 14, 2017 at 10:09 a.m.
Quoting: MG1986
You need to factor in the fact that Shattenkirk was a pure rental while Trouba becomes an RFA after his deal is up so he is still under team control. I really don't like Trouba's attitude though. Seems more drama follows him than necessary for a dressing room (the Leafs) that is all about culture, apparently. I'd much rather the Leafs make a bigger deal with the Islanders. People also seem to forget that Gardiner just had a fantastic year and is on a an extremely reasonable deal with term. Although this is all quite theoretical, if, say, the Flames needed to save money, I would love to see a hockey deal swap of Jake Gardiner for Dougie Hamilton.

I doubt Burke will do a trade that helps the leafs accomplish their goal of winning a cup. Also, cap is not an issue for them so we would have to rediculoisly overpay for Hamilton. Now I get that he has had some drama but I think that is more he is playing on the left and the jets are costing him term and money due to that. If he was playing his proper side and playing with someone who complement him I think he would not be so frustrated.
Jun. 14, 2017 at 10:16 a.m.

Being from Winnipeg I can tell you that Trouba is no issue in the jets locker room. The players and coaching staff love him. His best friend is Scheifele he is really close with Copp and he works out in the summer with Wheeler. A player has a right to want to play in a different city but there is no issue in the locker room. Some issue with management but thats business. He has a lot of pressure from family to play in the US (branding him or something) plus his GF was in medical school in the states. She did stay with Trouba this winter in winnipeg so maybe they worked that out.
Jun. 14, 2017 at 10:17 a.m.

I hear ya. I just think that we could maybe get a little more value from a lesser trade for a Myers or a Gudbransen type. I've always liked Myers and what he brings and I think in the right situation he'd kill it again. Yeah Trouba would be awesome to have but the price, I can only imagine, is going to be stupid.

Oh I agree but I also of the belief that any play they trade for on that d should be 20-24. Both those players would be far more of a risk. But I am not saying make the trade at all cost but if the pieces added are more redundancies they should at least consider it.
Jun. 14, 2017 at 11:05 a.m.
#LeafsFever

I doubt Burke will do a trade that helps the leafs accomplish their goal of winning a cup. Also, cap is not an issue for them so we would have to rediculoisly overpay for Hamilton. Now I get that he has had some drama but I think that is more he is playing on the left and the jets are costing him term and money due to that. If he was playing his proper side and playing with someone who complement him I think he would not be so frustrated.

Lucky for us, Brian Burke is not their GM. I am not sure if you've noticed, but Calgary has their own internal salary cap, so although they technically have room, I believe they operate around $65 million or so max. Plus, you are forgetting that Brian Burke, as the Leafs GM traded for Jake Gardiner, and I am pretty sure he was the GM of the Ducks when they drafted him. Feels to me like the perfect feel. As for Trouba, I get that he is talented, but what stops him from holding out the next time he is an RFA for a trade? He's done it once already. Even the thought of it would have me steer clear.
Jun. 14, 2017 at 11:05 a.m.
Quoting: JuniorGM

Being from Winnipeg I can tell you that Trouba is no issue in the jets locker room. The players and coaching staff love him. His best friend is Scheifele he is really close with Copp and he works out in the summer with Wheeler. A player has a right to want to play in a different city but there is no issue in the locker room. Some issue with management but thats business. He has a lot of pressure from family to play in the US (branding him or something) plus his GF was in medical school in the states. She did stay with Trouba this winter in winnipeg so maybe they worked that out.

I agree but if management keep low balling him and probably stating that he not worth 5-6million when part of the issue is they don't want to trade anyone and put him on the right side he will walk in 3 years. Due to he knows Coahes can be replaced but ownership don't and in all pro sports when a player feels disrespected and undervalued that person will move on.
Jun. 14, 2017 at 11:09 a.m.

Lucky for us, Brian Burke is not their GM. I am not sure if you've noticed, but Calgary has their own internal salary cap, so although they technically have room, I believe they operate around $65 million or so max. Plus, you are forgetting that Brian Burke, as the Leafs GM traded for Jake Gardiner, and I am pretty sure he was the GM of the Ducks when they drafted him. Feels to me like the perfect feel. As for Trouba, I get that he is talented, but what stops him from holding out the next time he is an RFA for a trade? He's done it once already. Even the thought of it would have me steer clear.

Burke might not be the GM but if you look at what is happening this off-season I think it clear who is making the decisions and Burke still can veto any trade and if one of our top 3 are not in the trade he will do that. Trouba I feel after talking with Babcock and seeing how and where he will play and the leafs will give him a contract fitting he ability I don't think he will holdout.
Jun. 14, 2017 at 11:15 a.m.
#LeafsFever

Burke might not be the GM but if you look at what is happening this off-season I think it clear who is making the decisions and Burke still can veto any trade and if one of our top 3 are not in the trade he will do that. Trouba I feel after talking with Babcock and seeing how and where he will play and the leafs will give him a contract fitting he ability I don't think he will holdout.

Let's backtrack for one second. Are you saying that not only are you from the Winnipeg-area and know Jacob Trouba, you have also, somehow, had a one-on-one conversation with Mike Babcock about a player on a different team being traded to and playing on his team?
Jun. 14, 2017 at 11:49 a.m.
Edited Jun. 14, 2017 at 11:55 a.m.

Let's backtrack for one second. Are you saying that not only are you from the Winnipeg-area and know Jacob Trouba, you have also, somehow, had a one-on-one conversation with Mike Babcock about a player on a different team being traded to and playing on his team?

NO what I'm saying is Babcock has had conversations with incoming players in the past detailing how he plans to use them. Trouba will not holdout due to concerns of how he will be played. Also, from what people WPG have said about Trouba im just making a logical conclusion of who could be fustrating him.
Jun. 14, 2017 at 12:41 p.m.
Leafs Fan
a trade like this is pretty much a lateral move or slight upgrade for the Leafs. Leafs would likely look to move some of their wingers before defense or draft picks (which I don't think the Jets are interested in).
Jun. 14, 2017 at 1:58 p.m.
Quoting: maximus_asinus
a trade like this is pretty much a lateral move or slight upgrade for the Leafs. Leafs would likely look to move some of their wingers before defense or draft picks (which I don't think the Jets are interested in).

I don't see it as a lateral move seeing we need a young top 4 with size that is a Shutdown Dman. Point wise your correct but he is an upgrade in terms of PK. Also, with Dermott, Nielsen, and the sweeds coming in the next few years Gardiner will not be resigned as it looks right now.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll