Forums/Armchair-GM

Reality for the Pens

Created by: BluesfanBrian
Team: 2023-24 Pittsburgh Penguins
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 21, 2023
Published: Mar. 21, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
The Penguins need to face reality and commit to a full rebuild. They should have done this years ago, but they need to stop making their future darker than it already is, so better late than never.

This is also all assuming players will waive their NTCs understanding that they will not have a chance for a cup in Pittsburgh.

Finally, most of the FA signings are with the expectation that they’d be moved at the deadline.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$1,100,000
8$7,500,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$2,000,000
2$2,000,000
2$2,500,000
1$950,000
1$1,000,000
2$2,750,000
1$775,000
1$2,500,000
Trades
PIT
  1. Hayton, Barrett
  2. Ingram, Connor [RFA Rights]
  3. Lipkin, Sam [Reserve List]
  4. 2024 1st round pick (ARI)
  5. 2024 2nd round pick (MTL)
  6. 2024 2nd round pick (ARI)
  7. 2025 2nd round pick (TOR)
Additional Details:
The Pens would get a solid forward in Hayton. He’s only 22 and finally showing why he was drafted high. Ingram would be the Pens starter going forward, at 25, he can start long term or can be flipped down the line. Solid goalie with a .909 on a bad team. Finally, Lipkin is a wild card. He has shown upside, but is a project.
ARI
  1. Crosby, Sidney ($4,350,000 retained)
  2. Letang, Kris ($3,050,000 retained)
  3. 2024 6th round pick (PIT)
  4. 2025 5th round pick (PIT)
  5. 2025 6th round pick (PIT)
Additional Details:
The Coyotes are still a few years off from contending if they’re relying on their own core, Crosby would flip that team on its head and unlock Keller’s true ability. Letang would be a very solid veteran defenseman on a young blue line. This is even better considering they give up only one real piece in Hayton.
PIT
  1. Ceci, Cody
  2. Holloway, Dylan
  3. 2024 1st round pick (EDM)
Additional Details:
With a rebuild, the Pens can take on guys like Ceci, and maybe flip him later. Holloway is the Oilers #2 prospect, and would be a major part of this rebuild. The 1st is for taking Ceci and upgrading him for Rutt and partially for a bonafide 30 goal scorer to run alongside McDavid.
EDM
  1. Guentzel, Jake
  2. Rutta, Jan
  3. 2024 3rd round pick (VGK)
Additional Details:
Guentzel averages a whopping 35 goals per 82 games and has hit 40 twice. If the Oilers wanna win with the core of McDavid/Draisaitl, getting a guy like Jake will help a lot. Rutta is also an upgrade over Ceci, and for a lower cap hit. Holloway is a tough pill to swallow, but you’re getting a guy who will put up 30 goals and could easily pass 40.
PIT
  1. Tolvanen, Eeli
  2. 2024 1st round pick (SEA)
Additional Details:
Tolvanen is having a really nice breakout season since being traded from Nashville. Even now though, he still just gets 3rd line minutes. He’ll get top 6 time on a rebuilding Pens team.
SEA
  1. Malkin, Evgeni
Additional Details:
Malkin in bridges the gap for the Kraken as their young centers grow into their roles. He also provides another veteran presence to a young Kraken, he’s also had a lot of playoff experience. It’s also doubtful that he declines significantly at all surrounded by young talent and purpose.
PIT
  1. Chiarot, Ben
  2. Zadina, Filip
  3. 2024 5th round pick (DET)
  4. 2025 4th round pick (BOS)
Additional Details:
Taking on Chiarot’s contract is a favor for a team that wants to contend. Zadina hasn’T worked in Detroit and could use a change of scenery and some more ice time.
DET
  1. DeSmith, Casey
  2. Petry, Jeff
Additional Details:
DeSmith would be a very solid backup/1B option for Husso. Petry is an upgrade over Chiarot, but the real value is in the fact his contract expires a year before Chiarot’s does.
PIT
  1. Miller, K'Andre [RFA Rights]
  2. 2024 2nd round pick (NYR)
Additional Details:
Miller is immediately our #1 D and another cornerstone to the rebuild.
NYR
  1. Pettersson, Marcus
  2. 2024 1st round pick (EDM)
Additional Details:
Pettersson is a downgrade from Miller, but contending teams have cap crunches. Miller will cost more than Pettersson in the long run. They’d also turn their 2nd into a 1st.
PIT
  1. Petersen, Cal
  2. 2025 3rd round pick (LAK)
  3. 2025 5th round pick (LAK)
Additional Details:
Cal Peterson will get a chance to prove that he can still be an NHL level goalie by platooning with Ingram.
LAK
  1. Carter, Jeff
Additional Details:
Carter is a Kings legend and can retire a King while providing depth.
PIT
  1. Boucher, Tyler
  2. Hamara, Tomas
  3. 2024 2nd round pick (OTT)
  4. 2024 4th round pick (TBL)
  5. 2025 3rd round pick (OTT)
Additional Details:
These prospects are both mid tier but both have potential to overpreform their projections. The picks are really for the retained salary.
OTT
  1. Rakell, Rickard ($2,500,000 retained)
Additional Details:
Rakes is a bonafide 20 goal scorer and can hit 30. At a cap hit of $2.5 million, it’s a steal.
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the SEA
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the DET
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the PIT
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$83,500,000$64,479,167$0$650,000$19,020,833
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Arizona Coyotes
$1,775,000$1,775,000
C, LW
RFA - 1
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$5,000,000$5,000,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$5,125,000$5,125,000
RW, LW
NMC
UFA - 5
$2,500,000$2,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$650,000$650K)
LW, C
RFA - 1
Logo of the Detroit Red Wings
$1,100,000$1,100,000
RW, LW
RFA - 1
Logo of the Seattle Kraken
$1,450,000$1,450,000
LW, RW
RFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
C, RW
UFA - 3
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
C, RW, LW
UFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$825,000$825,000
LD
RFA - 1
Logo of the Detroit Red Wings
$4,750,000$4,750,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$7,500,000$7,500,000
LD
RFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
RD
UFA - 1
$1,100,000$1,100,000
G
UFA - 3
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$3,250,000$3,250,000
RD
UFA - 2
$775,000$775,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
Logo of the Los Angeles Kings
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$762,500$762,500
RD
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Mar. 21, 2023 at 2:41 a.m.
mokumboi
Yikes. I stopped at trying to trade Sid and Letang to Arizona. I mean, what???
Nathanbrown99888 and CD282 liked this.
Mar. 21, 2023 at 3:09 a.m.
BFB
Quoting: mokumboi

You’re also the type who thinks Colten Parayko is worth more than Boqvist, a CBJ 1st, a young bottom 6 forward, and a 4th, so I don’t really think you know what you’re talking about.
Mar. 21, 2023 at 3:43 a.m.
I don't think Crosby will be traded considering it can affect their image. He is the face of the franchise even if the team does a rebuild.

Hard to say if Tanger and Geno will be traded, but I say Arizona and Seattle pass.
Mar. 21, 2023 at 3:49 a.m.
mokumboi
Quoting: BluesfanBrian
You’re also the type who thinks Colten Parayko is worth more than Boqvist, a CBJ 1st, a young bottom 6 forward, and a 4th, so I don’t really think you know what you’re talking about.

Heh. One more reason I should get in the habit of reading who's making the AGM before I click. Thanks for the reminder.
Mar. 21, 2023 at 4:13 a.m.
GM
Drury probably trade Chytil and Laffy before he parts way with Miller. And this is matched by around 30 other teams...
Mar. 21, 2023 at 4:59 a.m.
Quoting: mokumboi

Not wrong.. they just had Chychrun who’s better than Letang. Crosby currently can’t turn PIT on its head and PIT has a much better core than ARZ. Really bad take. Of course if ARZ is adding bedard, and some key FA this summer then maybe. But this needs to look like a NY Mets off-season.
CD282 liked this.
Mar. 21, 2023 at 7:53 a.m.
JimmyPaek
We are not trading Crosby and there’s ZERO chance he wants to go to the money laundering team lol.
Mar. 21, 2023 at 9:00 a.m.
K well they aren't trading Sid, Malkin and Letang.
If they for some reason convinced those guys to let them be traded Arizona is not buying and not for that price. They wouldn't approve of a trade to a rebuilding team or else why not just stick with Pittsburgh? Colorado I could see being interested in Crosby but I doubt they give up what he would be worth if he didn't have a NMC.
As for the trades themselves obviously Arizona doesn't even consider.
Edmonton trade maybe. Ceci is actually a good player he's just playing well above his pay grade in Edmonton which is why people think he's a dump.
Obviously Seattle didn't do that, that first is more valuable to them than Geno would be.
Rangers don't even hesitate to when they say no. Miller is likely untouchable and they will make it work somehow.
LA might do that if they want to shed Peterson's contract.
Ottawa is likely the wrong team and I doubt you get that much for Rakell.
Mar. 21, 2023 at 9:17 a.m.
You had me rolling on the floor at "should have done this years ago" haha
CD282 liked this.
Mar. 21, 2023 at 9:24 a.m.
BFB
Quoting: Angusc
I don't think Crosby will be traded considering it can affect their image. He is the face of the franchise even if the team does a rebuild.

Hard to say if Tanger and Geno will be traded, but I say Arizona and Seattle pass.

It’s what Pittsburgh needs to do, not what they will. They’re gunna try to reload for next season and either miss or lose in round 1.
Mar. 21, 2023 at 9:26 a.m.
BFB
Quoting: AG_sweden
Drury probably trade Chytil and Laffy before he parts way with Miller. And this is matched by around 30 other teams...

Maybe true. Also no one would have the chance to match because the Pens would have exclusive negotiating rights with him because he would be Pens property.
Mar. 21, 2023 at 9:34 a.m.
BFB
Quoting: NYR1983
Not wrong.. they just had Chychrun who’s better than Letang. Crosby currently can’t turn PIT on its head and PIT has a much better core than ARZ. Really bad take. Of course if ARZ is adding bedard, and some key FA this summer then maybe. But this needs to look like a NY Mets off-season.

Arizona is currently nearly a .500 team without Crosby or Letang. Keller is one of the best wingers in the NHL and Schmaltz will be a good 2C. Arizona is currently closer to a cup than Pittsburgh and to deny that would be to deny reality. Just bc you don’t know anything about the Coyotes doesn’t mean they’re in a bad position. Also, Chychrun costs more than Letang ($4.6 mil vs $3 mil) and he is gunna need a new big contract in a few years. AZ is unlikely to get Bedard too, and will probably pursue Matthews in 2024. Adding Crosby and Letang would make the team immediately better and put people in seats, which is something they need for their Tempe move.
Mar. 21, 2023 at 9:37 a.m.
BFB
Quoting: edeangel84
We are not trading Crosby and there’s ZERO chance he wants to go to the money laundering team lol.

That’s why this is called “what they need to do” because what they’re gunna do is try and reload and either miss or lose in round 1.
Mar. 21, 2023 at 9:40 a.m.
GM
I mean, NYR are not giving up Miller unless it's a gross overpayment. PIT just does not have the assets NYR need.
AG_sweden liked this.
Mar. 21, 2023 at 9:40 a.m.
GM
Maybe true. Also no one would have the chance to match because the Pens would have exclusive negotiating rights with him because he would be Pens property.

Well Drury isn't forced to sell Miller to Pens, so he just pick up his phone, call random GM and he will get a better offer.
Mar. 21, 2023 at 9:49 a.m.
BFB
Quoting: Lancebmx
K well they aren't trading Sid, Malkin and Letang.
If they for some reason convinced those guys to let them be traded Arizona is not buying and not for that price. They wouldn't approve of a trade to a rebuilding team or else why not just stick with Pittsburgh? Colorado I could see being interested in Crosby but I doubt they give up what he would be worth if he didn't have a NMC.
As for the trades themselves obviously Arizona doesn't even consider.
Edmonton trade maybe. Ceci is actually a good player he's just playing well above his pay grade in Edmonton which is why people think he's a dump.
Obviously Seattle didn't do that, that first is more valuable to them than Geno would be.
Rangers don't even hesitate to when they say no. Miller is likely untouchable and they will make it work somehow.
LA might do that if they want to shed Peterson's contract.
Ottawa is likely the wrong team and I doubt you get that much for Rakell.

First, this is called “what they need to do” because they’re too dumb to actually face reality. In reality, the Coyotes and Kraken are both closer to a cup than Pittsburgh. The only reason they refuse to waive is if they’re content without having a chance for a cup ever again. The Coyotes rebuild is nearing its end and guys like Crosby and Letang would just speed up the process. Regardless, you show your knowledge by thinking AZ is a dumpster fire when they are actually looking good.
Mar. 21, 2023 at 9:51 a.m.
First, this is called “what they need to do” because they’re too dumb to actually face reality. In reality, the Coyotes and Kraken are both closer to a cup than Pittsburgh. The only reason they refuse to waive is if they’re content without having a chance for a cup ever again. The Coyotes rebuild is nearing its end and guys like Crosby and Letang would just speed up the process. Regardless, you show your knowledge by thinking AZ is a dumpster fire when they are actually looking good.

I never said they were a dumpster fire but why would they trade for young pieces and top picks for aging guys that wouldn't even make them competitive for a cup? Are they an awful team no but they aren't a contender with these additions and it would likely hurt their franchise long term.

Also the title is not called "what they need to do" did you forget your own title? You called it "reality for the pens". I do agree that Penguins should start a rebuild now but that Arizona move especially would be really stupid for Arizona.
Mar. 21, 2023 at 9:53 a.m.
BFB
Quoting: AG_sweden
Well Drury isn't forced to sell Miller to Pens, so he just pick up his phone, call random GM and he will get a better offer.

Drury sold Buchnevich for nothing so get off your high horse bud lol
Mar. 21, 2023 at 10:02 a.m.
Arizona is currently nearly a .500 team without Crosby or Letang. Keller is one of the best wingers in the NHL and Schmaltz will be a good 2C. Arizona is currently closer to a cup than Pittsburgh and to deny that would be to deny reality. Just bc you don’t know anything about the Coyotes doesn’t mean they’re in a bad position. Also, Chychrun costs more than Letang ($4.6 mil vs $3 mil) and he is gunna need a new big contract in a few years. AZ is unlikely to get Bedard too, and will probably pursue Matthews in 2024. Adding Crosby and Letang would make the team immediately better and put people in seats, which is something they need for their Tempe move.

You don’t just add Crosby to ARZ and it becomes a cup team.. in a weak west they have done better than most thought but they also face the back up goalies most nights. If they were contenders or even pretenders they would go up against the top Gs in the league and fall short. Looking up simple stats is easy and understandable for a simple fan to do. There’s far more depth that goes into it. Most teams take those nights off and play down to that level which gives ARZ a handicap that if they were a playoff team they would not get. ARZ is much further than you think. But you’re welcome to believe that they are basically a playoff team and Crosby makes them contenders.
Mar. 21, 2023 at 10:04 a.m.
BFB
Quoting: Lancebmx
I never said they were a dumpster fire but why would they trade for young pieces and top picks for aging guys that wouldn't even make them competitive for a cup? Are they an awful team no but they aren't a contender with these additions and it would likely hurt their franchise long term.

Also the title is not called "what they need to do" did you forget your own title? You called it "reality for the pens". I do agree that Penguins should start a rebuild now but that Arizona move especially would be really stupid for Arizona.

They’d be a playoff contender after this trade, and a cup contender after making other good trades and signings. They also would heavily consider how much money they’d make off of it
Mar. 21, 2023 at 10:08 a.m.
Drury sold Buchnevich for nothing so get off your high horse bud lol

Buch was walking or taking more than what he got in STL.. simple minded thinking here
Mar. 21, 2023 at 10:24 a.m.
mokumboi

Ehh they had Chych because they drafted him.
NYR1983 liked this.
Mar. 21, 2023 at 10:34 a.m.
BFB
You don’t just add Crosby to ARZ and it becomes a cup team.. in a weak west they have done better than most thought but they also face the back up goalies most nights. If they were contenders or even pretenders they would go up against the top Gs in the league and fall short. Looking up simple stats is easy and understandable for a simple fan to do. There’s far more depth that goes into it. Most teams take those nights off and play down to that level which gives ARZ a handicap that if they were a playoff team they would not get. ARZ is much further than you think. But you’re welcome to believe that they are basically a playoff team and Crosby makes them contenders.

I mean that’s not in the slightest what I said. But I’ll just put you down like this: The last time a contending team started their backup against AZ was Jonathan Quick of the Kings on February 18th. Since then, they have faced Saros mutiple times, Ottinger, etc.
Mar. 21, 2023 at 10:37 a.m.
BFB
Buch was walking or taking more than what he got in STL.. simple minded thinking here

And what makes you think Miller isn’t gunna ask for $7+ million? You realize he’s gunna point at Nurse and Jones who both make $9+ million despite being around Miller’s level.
Mar. 21, 2023 at 10:44 a.m.
I mean that’s not in the slightest what I said. But I’ll just put you down like this: The last time a contending team started their backup against AZ was Jonathan Quick of the Kings on February 18th. Since then, they have faced Saros mutiple times, Ottinger, etc.

Feb 6 was the last time they beat a playoff team that had a starter in net. The other 2 wins in that time against playoff teams the back ups were in net.. over the last 50 days most of their wins come against teams that are bottom barrel or below average. You sure put me down 👌🏼. Again, players don’t give 💯 against ARZ. CBJ are actually a bigger threat and if you moved Crosby and letang there I would call them contenders for sure.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll