Forums/Armchair-GM

Jets 2023 offseason

Created by: tjh3212
Team: 2023-24 Winnipeg Jets
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 26, 2023
Published: Mar. 26, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I'm just trying to be realistic here. The Jets won't begin to do a hard reset so this is probably the closest they'd go to making major moves (also in this scenario I'm assuming the Jets extend Scheifele and let Wheeler play out the last year of his contract)
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$950,000
2$825,000
2$800,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,300,000
2$1,500,000
1$850,000
2$850,000
1$950,000
1$800,000
1$775,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$975,000
Trades
WPG
  1. Kupari, Rasmus [RFA Rights]
  2. Petersen, Cal
  3. 2023 2nd round pick (LAK)
  4. 2024 1st round pick (LAK)
WPG
  1. 2023 2nd round pick (CAR)
  2. 2023 4th round pick (CAR)
  3. 2024 6th round pick (CAR)
WPG
  1. 2024 5th round pick (SEA)
SEA
  1. Stanley, Logan [RFA Rights]
WPG
  1. Dvorak, Christian
  2. Roy, Joshua
  3. 2023 1st round pick (FLA)
MTL
  1. Dubois, Pierre-Luc [RFA Rights]
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the SEA
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$82,500,000$69,679,524$0$1,575,000$12,820,476
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Winnipeg Jets
$7,142,857$7,142,857
LW
UFA - 3
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW, C
RFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$4,450,000$4,450,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$6,125,000$6,125,000
C
NMC
UFA - 1
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,300,000$1,300,000
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$3,250,000$3,250,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$800,000$800,000 (Performance Bonus$300,000$300K)
RW
NTC
UFA - 1
$950,000$950,000
C, LW, RW
RFA - 2
$775,000$775,000
LW, C
RFA - 1
$2,166,667$2,166,667
RW
UFA - 2
$975,000$975,000
C
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$6,250,000$6,250,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 5
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
Logo of the Los Angeles Kings
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$5,950,000$5,950,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$5,875,000$5,875,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$850,000$850,000
G
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LD
RFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
LD
RFA - 1
$762,500$762,500
LD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Mar. 26, 2023 at 6:47 p.m.
If we’re getting rid of Hellebuyck we might as well get rid of Schiefele.
Mar. 26, 2023 at 6:53 p.m.
Bandwagon fairweathe
If your getting rid of helly, you might as well get rid of scheifele and also have some tough conversations with ehlers/Connor/morrissey and anybody else that can bring back draft capital
Mar. 26, 2023 at 6:58 p.m.
Go Habs Go
Dubois trades.

They are all predicated on two things:
1. He is French
2. He wants to play in Montreal

Neither is a sufficient reason for a trade. There is no inherent hockey value in spending assets to acquire him as an RFA. If he wants to "come home" the ball is in his court as a UFA.
There is no immediate or organizational need to acquire him.
Simple as that. Let it be and check back next year.
Caufield liked this.
Mar. 26, 2023 at 7:03 p.m.
Quoting: ricochetii
Dubois trades.

They are all predicated on two things:
1. He is French
2. He wants to play in Montreal

Neither is a sufficient reason for a trade. There is no inherent hockey value in spending assets to acquire him as an RFA. If he wants to "come home" the ball is in his court as a UFA.
There is no immediate or organizational need to acquire him.
Simple as that. Let it be and check back next year.

Let it be that hughes and chevy have had multiple meetings throughout the year about Dubois and KH has stated that he's willing go do a kirby dach esk deal to bring in established guys that fit the timelime. There is a basis from that alone and seems like there is the interest in getting him early.
Simple as that. Let it be and check back at the draft this year.
tjh3212 liked this.
Mar. 26, 2023 at 7:13 p.m.
Quoting: Birtle34
If your getting rid of helly, you might as well get rid of scheifele and also have some tough conversations with ehlers/Connor/morrissey and anybody else that can bring back draft capital

I don’t disagree, but I think TNSE and Chevy will do everything they can to convince Scheifele to sign long term because of the whole “first pick after the move from Atlanta” and “played for Hawerchuk in juniors” thing. I also agree that they should just go full send and hit the reset button hard but I’m not convinced that they’ll want to do a full rebuild. Maybe a quick 1 or 2 year retool
Birtle34 liked this.
Mar. 26, 2023 at 7:14 p.m.
Pass on that deal for Dillon
Mar. 26, 2023 at 7:16 p.m.
Quoting: Jets33
If we’re getting rid of Hellebuyck we might as well get rid of Schiefele.

I agree but like I said to someone earlier, I think TNSE and Chevy will do everything they can to keep Scheifele around just because of the whole “him being the first pick after the move” and the relationship with Hawerchuk. In a perfect world, they trade him too, but the Jets have proven time and time again that they don’t do things the conventional way
Jets33 liked this.
Mar. 26, 2023 at 7:18 p.m.
Bandwagon fairweathe
Quoting: tjh3212
I don’t disagree, but I think TNSE and Chevy will do everything they can to convince Scheifele to sign long term because of the whole “first pick after the move from Atlanta” and “played for Hawerchuk in juniors” thing. I also agree that they should just go full send and hit the reset button hard but I’m not convinced that they’ll want to do a full rebuild. Maybe a quick 1 or 2 year retool

Your probably right, but without a tear it all down, I think we are in for a bubble team or worse and just extend the inevitable and lose out on some value with either decent term and price or timing on Father Time. Jets need to think more like a junior team with a 7 year ish shelf life, try to load up on a few draft years and hope it’s enough of a nucleus combined with some bargain free agents to have a 3/4 run of success and then try it all again.
tjh3212 and Jets33 liked this.
Mar. 26, 2023 at 7:23 p.m.
Your probably right, but without a tear it all down, I think we are in for a bubble team or worse and just extend the inevitable and lose out on some value with either decent term and price or timing on Father Time. Jets need to think more like a junior team with a 7 year ish shelf life, try to load up on a few draft years and hope it’s enough of a nucleus combined with some bargain free agents to have a 3/4 run of success and then try it all again.

Yeah I’d just rather do a straight up rebuild and build around Perfetti/Lambert/McGroarty/DiVincentiis. Maybe not go as extreme with it as Arizona, but definitely a hard reset
Mar. 26, 2023 at 7:43 p.m.
Go Habs Go
Quoting: Howie
Let it be that hughes and chevy have had multiple meetings throughout the year about Dubois and KH has stated that he's willing go do a kirby dach esk deal to bring in established guys that fit the timelime. There is a basis from that alone and seems like there is the interest in getting him early.
Simple as that. Let it be and check back at the draft this year.

Due diligence of course. There just has to be an actual hockey justification. Montreal is not in dire need of a top 6C nor a power forward. If Dubois was a RHD, different story. A Dach type trade would make sense there.
As it stands, the Dach trade has made a Dubois trade unnecessary. Our prospect pool has us covered beyond that until proven otherwise.

Trying not to rehash arguments that have been beaten to death already but it's not easy because the same arguments always apply.
This trade is fair enough value wise that Montreal fans might consider it. Winnipeg fans will want more and argue against the inclusion of Dvorak. Montreal fans then say we wait for UFA. Winnipeg fans then say well you won't get him then. Etc.

The fact is we would take him if it were indeed a Dach type trade, but he's going to cost more and that's where the price is greater than our need. Hopefully Hughes isn't taken in by sentiment quite as easily as fans (or Bergevin).
Mar. 26, 2023 at 7:48 p.m.
Bandwagon fairweathe
Yeah I’d just rather do a straight up rebuild and build around Perfetti/Lambert/McGroarty/DiVincentiis. Maybe not go as extreme with it as Arizona, but definitely a hard reset

With the right firsts in 23 draft, this could be a rather quick rebuild, not sure I would want a ton of term on either helly or scheifele going forward, Dubois seems to want to get out the door also, so possibly a perfect time to load up on next three drafts and try to be peaking for another window in 3 years. Don’t believe Jets management ready though.
tjh3212 liked this.
Mar. 26, 2023 at 7:53 p.m.
With the right firsts in 23 draft, this could be a rather quick rebuild, not sure I would want a ton of term on either helly or scheifele going forward, Dubois seems to want to get out the door also, so possibly a perfect time to load up on next three drafts and try to be peaking for another window in 3 years. Don’t believe Jets management ready though.

Pair that with the fact he was able to get some steals this past year in the draft and I agree, it won’t take that much time to be that competitive again. What I would be curious to see is who ends up coaching in a couple years time, because I can see Bowness coaching at least one more year but after that it feels like a crapshoot. Arniel maybe?
Mar. 26, 2023 at 8:00 p.m.
Bandwagon fairweathe
Pair that with the fact he was able to get some steals this past year in the draft and I agree, it won’t take that much time to be that competitive again. What I would be curious to see is who ends up coaching in a couple years time, because I can see Bowness coaching at least one more year but after that it feels like a crapshoot. Arniel maybe?

Possibly jets love there tree from early moose days, so a variety in play there
tjh3212 liked this.
Mar. 26, 2023 at 8:03 p.m.
Quoting: ricochetii
Due diligence of course. There just has to be an actual hockey justification. Montreal is not in dire need of a top 6C nor a power forward. If Dubois was a RHD, different story. A Dach type trade would make sense there.
As it stands, the Dach trade has made a Dubois trade unnecessary. Our prospect pool has us covered beyond that until proven otherwise.

Trying not to rehash arguments that have been beaten to death already but it's not easy because the same arguments always apply.
This trade is fair enough value wise that Montreal fans might consider it. Winnipeg fans will want more and argue against the inclusion of Dvorak. Montreal fans then say we wait for UFA. Winnipeg fans then say well you won't get him then. Etc.

The fact is we would take him if it were indeed a Dach type trade, but he's going to cost more and that's where the price is greater than our need. Hopefully Hughes isn't taken in by sentiment quite as easily as fans (or Bergevin).

I’m going to be blunt honest here. In a perfect world, I wouldn’t WANT to trade PLD to Montreal, but unless it’s a team willing to go crazy like Florida did with Tkachuk, I don’t see why any team outside of Montreal would trade significant assets for PLD knowing he’ll walk for the Habs in a year. I’d prefer not having to take on a contract like Dvorak or Anderson but I assume that will have to happen to make the salaries work.
I can’t speak for all Jets fans but I think a lot of them just want the team to maximize whatever they can get because him walking after just being there a couple years makes the Laine trade look worse. I just know whatever we’ll get probably isn’t close to market value (or even what he’d get if he had another year left on his deal) but at this point I’d be fine with a salary/prospect/first just because of the Laine trade.
As a Pacers fan, this reminds me a lot of the Paul George trade from a few years ago. He wanted out with 1 year left, said he wanted to go to the Lakers, and then got traded for what seemed to be below market value (although it ended up working out for the Pacers in the long run)
ricochetii and Quillanrocks liked this.
Mar. 26, 2023 at 8:21 p.m.
Bandwagon fairweathe
I’m going to be blunt honest here. In a perfect world, I wouldn’t WANT to trade PLD to Montreal, but unless it’s a team willing to go crazy like Florida did with Tkachuk, I don’t see why any team outside of Montreal would trade significant assets for PLD knowing he’ll walk for the Habs in a year. I’d prefer not having to take on a contract like Dvorak or Anderson but I assume that will have to happen to make the salaries work.
I can’t speak for all Jets fans but I think a lot of them just want the team to maximize whatever they can get because him walking after just being there a couple years makes the Laine trade look worse. I just know whatever we’ll get probably isn’t close to market value (or even what he’d get if he had another year left on his deal) but at this point I’d be fine with a salary/prospect/first just because of the Laine trade.
As a Pacers fan, this reminds me a lot of the Paul George trade from a few years ago. He wanted out with 1 year left, said he wanted to go to the Lakers, and then got traded for what seemed to be below market value (although it ended up working out for the Pacers in the long run)

What frustrates me with pld to mtl trades are so many, don’t take into account that the move pretty much shuts Winnipeg’s window, they chased a viable 2c between little/stastny/hays and now helly/scheifele/wheeler are either aged out or contract time. Winnipeg is in a kind of unique situation where they can’t get overly old, there’s no ufas to save them, and a prolonged rebuild would be rather rough on fanbase. So random guys with term that possibly could be flipped for less. Isn’t ideal. Trying to replace what you’re losing doesn’t really work either. So ideally there is youth with team control, and draft picks, drafted as jets. In any value coming back in a Dubois trade. Some token throw ins to make cap but not for any amount of value really. Some of those lengthy veteran contracts are really a non starter for Winnipeg. Now that’s a few lines too long of a rant lol
tjh3212 liked this.
Mar. 26, 2023 at 8:40 p.m.

Can only hope the Jets get some kind of "sneaky" value back for him. We can criticize Chevy all day for his lack of moves at times, but he has done pretty well when it comes to moving our annual disgruntled and/or "no future with the Jets" type of players in the past! (Issue is he can take his frustratingly sweet time with said moves more often than not!)

I think it's entirely possible, despite all our pontificating---Jets and Habs fans alike---that we see PLD traded and even signed by some unexpected team, maybe a team like Anaheim, for example, where lifestyle and increased anonymity maybe turn out to be Dubois' cup'o'tea for now! Maybe he decides he can march his way home to Montreal in his thirties, but for now, Disney is where it's at!!! Who knows!!?!! Lol
Birtle34 and tjh3212 liked this.
Mar. 26, 2023 at 9:26 p.m.
What frustrates me with pld to mtl trades are so many, don’t take into account that the move pretty much shuts Winnipeg’s window, they chased a viable 2c between little/stastny/hays and now helly/scheifele/wheeler are either aged out or contract time. Winnipeg is in a kind of unique situation where they can’t get overly old, there’s no ufas to save them, and a prolonged rebuild would be rather rough on fanbase. So random guys with term that possibly could be flipped for less. Isn’t ideal. Trying to replace what you’re losing doesn’t really work either. So ideally there is youth with team control, and draft picks, drafted as jets. In any value coming back in a Dubois trade. Some token throw ins to make cap but not for any amount of value really. Some of those lengthy veteran contracts are really a non starter for Winnipeg. Now that’s a few lines too long of a rant lol

I do wonder how the fanbase will handle a rebuild, because while yeah they want a winning team, I think they’d rather be done with the status quo and a core that doesn’t really care to win, and replace it with young guys with a will to win and a glimmer of hope. I think the caveat is that Jets fans want a different vision, not “the 5-year plan 2.0”, and I think the hard sell will be Chevy being in charge of it. He’ll be going on his 13th season in the summer and all we have to show for his tenure is a WCF appearance and a playoff series win against the Oilers where Helle played like he was Jesus Christ reincarnated
Quillanrocks liked this.
Mar. 26, 2023 at 11:23 p.m.
Bandwagon fairweathe
I do wonder how the fanbase will handle a rebuild, because while yeah they want a winning team, I think they’d rather be done with the status quo and a core that doesn’t really care to win, and replace it with young guys with a will to win and a glimmer of hope. I think the caveat is that Jets fans want a different vision, not “the 5-year plan 2.0”, and I think the hard sell will be Chevy being in charge of it. He’ll be going on his 13th season in the summer and all we have to show for his tenure is a WCF appearance and a playoff series win against the Oilers where Helle played like he was Jesus Christ reincarnated

I think if management is honest and up front with the fans, admit current path isn’t working, can Chevy, can zinger, possibly scoop from outside of the organization, tough thing to say also, but with a upgrade in role might be easier to take move to Winnipeg. Chevy wasn’t all bad, drafted decent, decent trader on limited trades. But I think caught some complacency and possibly overly loyal in an extremely competitive business. The organization isn’t in terrible shape, but there has to be something done in development, moose to jets pipeline is mediocre at best. Drafting 18 or higher hasn’t been great, free agency is non existent basically but nobody’s fault really. It’s not a bad base built, but definitely could use some change in leadership in a new direction. Idea was right where it hit, scheifele/ehlers/Connor/morrissey/helly, held onto little/wheeler too long and didn’t get anything for myers or buffy, but nobody is perfect. Still would have liked to have paid laine and went year by year on wheeler or traded him. The fanbase will forgive and forget, just need to give them a direction and a reset to establish a contender again. Not sure management has this memo though lol
tjh3212 and Quillanrocks liked this.
Mar. 27, 2023 at 4:15 p.m.
End of the Laine

There is no more window in Wpg, it closed once Buff quit. You don't win Cups with All Stars, its Hall of Fame level players, only way Wpg can find that crowd is through the draft. I think Wpg fans will accept a rebuild if the NEW GM and current owner are honest about it.
Birtle34 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll