SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Mock-Draft

Mock Draft of Doom (Read Desc)

Mock Draft of Doom (Read Desc)

Draft Class: 2023
Created By: nickthehabsfan
Published: Apr. 21, 2023 at 1:48 a.m.
Description
This is different than what you usually see here. I spun a wheel that told me what kind of pick I had to make.

Here are all the options:
6/16 - BPA: my choice based on my preference for each team
1/16 - Center
1/16 - Winger
1/16 - Defenseman
1/16 - Small Reach: a player ranked 5-9 spots lower than the current pick slot
1/16 - Medium Reach: same as small reach but 10-19 spots
1/16 - Huge Reach: same as other reaches but 20+ spots lower
1/16 - Short Player: under 6'
1/16 - Tall Player: 6'2" and above
1/16 - International Player
1/16 - North American Player

Reaches are based on consensus rankings. Positions and measurements are based on what EliteProspects lists them as. North American vs International is based on where a player is from, not where they play.

Feel free to do this yourself, if you do, tag me @nickthehabsfan in the comments so I can see what outcome you got!
Lottery Winners:
  1. Logo of the St. Louis BluesSt. Louis Blues (10→1)
  2. Logo of the Washington CapitalsWashington Capitals (8→2)
ROUND 1TEAMORIGINALPLAYERDETAILS
1Logo of the St. Louis Blues-Wheel Selection: Medium Reach Sorry Blues fans but the Blues decide to go for a reach and get a guy they really like. That Bedard kid? He couldn't get his team out of round 1, he must be a bum. Some of the options ranked 11-20 include Ryan Leonard, David Reinbacher, Colby Barlow, and Nate Danielson. Of those guys, the highest upside is Ryan Leonard, which you should aim for at #1. You could make an argument for Reinbacher due to the Blues' positional needs but I don't think taking him over Leonard is a great idea.
2Logo of the Washington Capitals-Wheel Selection: North American Lucky, Lucky, Lucky. Washington Capitals get the best prospect in hockey at 2nd overall.
3Logo of the Anaheim Ducks-Wheel Selection: Short Player My options here are Matvei Michkov and Zach Benson. Between those two, Michkov is the easy pick. Michkov above Fantilli, the wheel continues to have fun.
4Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets-Wheel Selection: Winger And Fantilli drops again... the best primary winger left is Zach Benson. He's listed as a F, not C or W on EP so he's eligible for both the center and winger categories.
5Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks-Wheel Selection: BPA After falling 3 spots in the lottery, Chicago gets some luck and takes the 2nd best prospect at 5th. The wheel is doing exactly what it was designed to do up to this point.
6Logo of the San Jose Sharks-Wheel Selection: Small Reach San Jose passes up on Leo Carlsson and Will Smith to take somebody else. The most likely options here that fit in the 11th-15th range are Eduard Sale (12th) and Colby Barlow (15th). It's a toss-up between those two of who gets drafted first so I'll go with my preference which is Barlow.
7Logo of the Montreal Canadiens-Wheel Selection: International Player The Habs get lucky as Leo Carlsson is available for them. Kinda glad we get Carlsson and not Sale or Dvorsky with the International spin.
8Logo of the Arizona Coyotes-Wheel Selection: BPA The chaos stops for a minute as Arizona gets the BPA spin. Easy pick here as Arizona makes a pretty good college 1-2 punch down the middle with Cooley and Smith.
9Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers-Wheel Selection: Medium Reach Philly continues to do Philly things as they have to take somebody ranked between 19th and 28th. Some of my options are Jayden Perron (19th), Dmitri Simashev (20th), Quentin Musty (23rd), and Matthew Wood (24th). Perron is probably the best pick and with new management maybe Philly makes the right pick for once?
10Logo of the Detroit Red Wings-Wheel Selection: BPA Cristall is the best guy left and Detroit seems like a team that is smart enough to take him.
11Logo of the Vancouver Canucks-Wheel Selection: BPA Draft night has calmed down as teams are taking the BPA with the last 3 of 4 picks. I see Moore as the next guy up, not a bad pick at 11th...
12Logo of the Arizona CoyotesLogo of the Ottawa SenatorsWheel Selection: BPA This is unusually calm and I don't like it. Arizona, though, enjoys it very much as they had Smith fall into their laps at 8 and have a chance to get another good player here. Since the Coyotes have taken Cooley and Smith recently I think it's time they look for a defenseman as they take the best one in this draft. ASP might take this spot soon if he continues to play as he did against Canada in the U18s today.
13Logo of the Buffalo Sabres-Wheel Selection: Medium Reach Buffalo has to take a player ranked 23rd-32nd. Logical options include Musty, Wood, and Perreault. My preference is Perreault so I'll give him a little recognition and take him here.
14Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins-Wheel Selection: BPA This seems like a good spot where Dvorsky SHOULD go but will 100% end up higher during the actual draft night. I would probably go Heidt here but I don't see how Pittsburgh would pass on Dvorsky.
15Logo of the Nashville Predators-Wheel Selection: BPA I would say that Nashville has a need for defensemen instead of forwards, so I would take Sandin-Pelikka at this spot. He looked great at the world juniors and didn't have a bad season in the J20 either.
16Logo of the Calgary Flames-Wheel Selection: Center My options here are Danielson, Heidt, and Yager. Out of those guys, Heidt is my preference.
17Logo of the Montreal CanadiensLogo of the Florida PanthersWheel Selection: Huge Reach I was hoping this wouldn't be the case but oh well. After getting lucky with Carlsson earlier, the Habs decide to reach for somebody. Some options ranked 37th and later? Timur Mukhanov, Oscar Fisker Mølgaard, and Koehn Ziemmer. Not many great options for 17th overall but between those guys, I'll take Ziemmer. Prince George's teammates go back-to-back so I guess that's fun?
18Logo of the Detroit Red WingsLogo of the New York IslandersWheel Selection: Tall Player My options include Dmitri Simashev, Calum Ritchie, Quentin Musty, and Matthew Wood. The Wings are loaded everywhere so I think they go BPA instead of filling a position. Between all 4 of those guys, my pick is Musty.
19Logo of the Winnipeg Jets-Wheel Selection: BPA The Jets to me feel like a team that lacks many defensive prospects outside of Heinola while they have Lucius and Lambert up front. The best defenseman left is either Simashev or Gulyayev and I think NHL teams would prefer Simashev due to his size and mobility.
20Logo of the Chicago BlackhawksLogo of the Tampa Bay LightningWheel Selection: BPA The Hawks have a good amount of blueline prospects and now also have Michigan teammates in Fantilli and Nazar. I think they take a chance on Sale who has the skill for sure but sometimes lacks engagement. The Hawks might be a good spot for him since they have time to develop him properly.
21Logo of the Seattle Kraken-Wheel Selection: Winger The best wingers left are Brindley and Wood. While teams will likely prefer Wood, Seattle showed last year that they can draft really well and aren't afraid to take smaller skilled guys. Brindley's game is very high effort and I think any team will love to draft him if they can get over his size "concerns"
22Logo of the Minnesota Wild-Wheel Selection: Short Player Another team who is great at drafting, and now they have to take a short player. With Seattle snatching a great one right before them, it has to sting. Some remaining short guys are Gulyayev, Stenberg, and Gauthier. Between those 3, Gulyayev is a tier above the rest in my eyes so I'll select him here.
23Logo of the Columbus Blue JacketsLogo of the Los Angeles KingsWheel Selection: Center After missing out on a center earlier, Columbus looks to fill that hole right now. They have some decent options such as Yager and Danielson. Between the two, I like Yager more, but Danielson has been climbing draft boards lately so it's possible if not likely he goes ahead of Yager on draft night.
24Logo of the St. Louis BluesLogo of the New York RangersWheel Selection: International Player After winning the 1st pick and taking...Ryan Leonard, the Blues have to take an international player. Blues fans are just hoping for a BPA spin with the next pick. The best international guys left include Stenberg, But, and Honzek. Out of those 3, Honzek is my guy.
25Logo of the New York RangersLogo of the Dallas StarsWheel Selection: Center Columbus just had to pick a center and I listed Yager and Danielson as options. With Yager gone, Danielson now becomes the pick.
26Logo of the Colorado Avalanche-Wheel Selection: Defenseman Colorado has a couple of options including Lukas Dragicevic, Caden Price, Oliver Bonk, and a few others in that same tier. If Colorado drafts Dragicevic, he will get to learn an offensive game from some great offensive D like Bo Byram and Cale Makar. His defensive game leaves A LOT to be desired but his offensive potential makes him an interesting pickup for the Avs.
27Logo of the Nashville PredatorsLogo of the Edmonton OilersWheel Selection: Huge Reach The wheel decides to spice it up for one of the last picks. I have to select a player ranked 47th or later, which includes: Tom Willander, Mathieu Cataford, Noah Dower Nilsson, and Étienne Morin. It comes between Cataford and Dower Nilsson for me with Dower Nilsson getting the slight edge.
28Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights-Wheel Selection: Winger A few options here such as Matthew Wood and Ethan Gauthier. I don't see Wood falling much longer as I'm 100% sure he will be much higher than this on draft night.
29Logo of the St. Louis BluesLogo of the Toronto Maple LeafsWheel Selection: Center The wheel is not letting the Blues get BPA at all. Calum Ritchie is still on the board so the Blues will end up selecting him here at this spot. Ryan Leonard, Samuel Honzek, and Calum Ritchie aren't a bad haul but compared to Connor Bedard, Nate Danielson, and Ritchie if the wheel didn't hate the Blues, it kinda sucks.
30Logo of the San Jose SharksLogo of the New Jersey DevilsWheel Selection: BPA San Jose gets to go BPA after reaching on Barlow earlier on. There are options with guys such as Stenberg, Gauthier, and Whitelaw up front and guys like Price and Cagnoni on the blue line. My favorite is Cagnoni and with guys like Eklund, Barlow, and Weisblatt up front and an aging blue line, Cagnoni makes sense for the Sharks as well.
31Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes-Wheel Selection: BPA I like Whitelaw at this spot, all most done with the mock draft of doom...
32Logo of the Toronto Maple LeafsLogo of the Boston BruinsWheel Selection: BPA We end the mock draft with a BPA selection and I'll take Ethan Gauthier to become the next prospect Leafs fans hype up uncontrollably. Knies is pretty good though, I'll give you that, and not just because I have him in my keeper league.
Apr. 21, 2023 at 9:36 a.m.
Tony Ferguson Fan
Really fun concept
Marchy6363, Upper_Body_Injury, A_Habs_fan and 3 others liked this.
Apr. 21, 2023 at 11:51 a.m.
power forward
I could see Dvorsky falling even further. I have him ranked 10th on my board, but the lowest I see him falling is 20th. He's one of the worst skaters in the draft and he doesn't put up many points.
nickthehabsfan liked this.
Apr. 21, 2023 at 9:37 p.m.
Master of Bloodsport
If the Caps managed to get into 2OA I'd actually bust. Won't happen, but I can dream.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll