Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$1,400,000$1,400,000
RD
RFA - 1
$1,100,000$1,100,000
RD
RFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$5,625,000$5,625,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$4,687,500$4,687,500
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Apr. 22, 2023 at 11:08 a.m.
Summary Writer
If they trade Marner no More Matthews guaranteed
Pensman69 liked this.
Apr. 22, 2023 at 11:14 a.m.
spoiled penguins fan
You Leafs fans really are taking Dubas for granted…

Would be a reality check when Treliving comes in and has the team out of the playoffs next year
RipNasty liked this.
Apr. 22, 2023 at 11:30 a.m.
mhca
this is a joke
Apr. 22, 2023 at 12:05 p.m.
Quoting: Timmins_Is_Eating_Tims
If they trade Marner no More Matthews guaranteed

That’s would be a consideration for sure. But him finally having a proper line could change his mind. JH/AM/WN would be a force. Weegar in the back makes them stronger also. Not sure the cap will work long term for the team but that line would be pretty strong and probably the top line in the league. Not sure if so the move but it’s tempting
Apr. 22, 2023 at 12:07 p.m.
Quoting: Pensman69

Would be a reality check when Treliving comes in and has the team out of the playoffs next year

Treliving is a good GM. He would be a great GM in Toronto too because he wouldn't be held back by ownership.
Apr. 22, 2023 at 12:28 p.m.
Rip

This guy has posted awful leaf AGM's for ever. I don't think he's a Leafs fan, one of the many who just pretend to get people riled up. Dubas is great and he won't get fired. So long as we beat Tampa anyways bb
Pensman69 liked this.
Apr. 22, 2023 at 12:29 p.m.
Rip
Quoting: NYR1983
That’s would be a consideration for sure. But him finally having a proper line could change his mind. JH/AM/WN would be a force. Weegar in the back makes them stronger also. Not sure the cap will work long term for the team but that line would be pretty strong and probably the top line in the league. Not sure if so the move but it’s tempting

In what world does a downgrade from Marner give Matthews a better line?
Apr. 22, 2023 at 12:30 p.m.
Rip
Quoting: Ledge_And_Dairy
Treliving is a good GM. He would be a great GM in Toronto too because he wouldn't be held back by ownership.

So it's ownerships fault he made so many bad decisions?
Pensman69 liked this.
Apr. 22, 2023 at 12:41 p.m.
Quoting: RipNasty
In what world does a downgrade from Marner give Matthews a better line?

Well Bunting is a bottom 6 guy disguised as a top 6 so when you move nylander and Huberdeau on the line is an upgrade even though you are downgrading from marner. In a mathematical equation it’s the difference between 10+4 and 8+8. I’ll let you calculate 👌🏼
Apr. 22, 2023 at 12:50 p.m.
Rip
Quoting: NYR1983
Well Bunting is a bottom 6 guy disguised as a top 6 so when you move nylander and Huberdeau on the line is an upgrade even though you are downgrading from marner. In a mathematical equation it’s the difference between 10+4 and 8+8. I’ll let you calculate 👌🏼

So why not just put Nylander and Marner with Matthews is that's the issue?
Apr. 22, 2023 at 12:52 p.m.
So it's ownerships fault he made so many bad decisions?

What bad decisions are you referring to? The Neil contract was bad but no GM is perfect
KingofRnR liked this.
Apr. 22, 2023 at 12:53 p.m.
spoiled penguins fan

Treliving is NOT a good GM…. Ownership has nothing to do with his poor decision making, the contracts he signs, and who he puts behind the bench
Apr. 22, 2023 at 12:55 p.m.
Treliving is NOT a good GM…. Ownership has nothing to do with his poor decision making, the contracts he signs, and who he puts behind the bench

Lol what? Care to elaborate?
KingofRnR liked this.
Apr. 22, 2023 at 1:06 p.m.
Marner rocks
The leafs wouldn't trade Marner, unless Matthews and Nylander are already gone. You don't trade the leading takeaway player in the league, maybe the best PK forward in the league. Would most likely have a 100 points if he didn't sit out 2 games. Is the only leaf that is on the #1 unit in every situation. He is the leafs MVP and without Marner, Matthews and Tavares point production drops.
Apr. 22, 2023 at 1:32 p.m.
So why not just put Nylander and Marner with Matthews is that's the issue?

If one would play LW that’s what I would do. Having natural LW is often better, it’s literally the problem NYR have but with the need for high end RW. But as you’ve read my messages, you’ll also remember that I said “not sure if I’d do the move but it’s tempting” 👌🏼
Apr. 22, 2023 at 3:13 p.m.
spoiled penguins fan
Lol what? Care to elaborate?

Hmmmm well let’s see? Fumbling Adam Fox, signing James Neal long-term, not signing Tkachuk long term in 2019 which he ate that one up, that lucrative Markstrom contract that benefited them for a year and now they are seeing it blow up in their face, literally watching Johnny Hockey walk in free agency and sign for less then what they offered, disastrous Huby trade despite Weegar coming around, signing Kadri to that fat contract when everyone and their mom knew he had a career year and those stats wouldn’t likely be replicated again….

Oh and then the coaching changes…. Letting go of Hartley 1 year after he had just won Jack Adams and led the team in the right direction… and replaces him with Gulutzan who led them nowhere but to being gone. And then god awful Geoff Ward, brought back Sutter who had 1 good year off a locker room boost and then now has players rumored to not want to come back if he’s coaching…

Besides the draft table this guy is wildly inconsistent and can’t get players to stick around because of the environment he has built around them…
Apr. 22, 2023 at 3:49 p.m.
Hmmmm well let’s see? Fumbling Adam Fox, signing James Neal long-term, not signing Tkachuk long term in 2019 which he ate that one up, that lucrative Markstrom contract that benefited them for a year and now they are seeing it blow up in their face, literally watching Johnny Hockey walk in free agency and sign for less then what they offered, disastrous Huby trade despite Weegar coming around, signing Kadri to that fat contract when everyone and their mom knew he had a career year and those stats wouldn’t likely be replicated again….

Oh and then the coaching changes…. Letting go of Hartley 1 year after he had just won Jack Adams and led the team in the right direction… and replaces him with Gulutzan who led them nowhere but to being gone. And then god awful Geoff Ward, brought back Sutter who had 1 good year off a locker room boost and then now has players rumored to not want to come back if he’s coaching…

Besides the draft table this guy is wildly inconsistent and can’t get players to stick around because of the environment he has built around them…

Fumbling Adam fox? He literally refused to sign with anyone but the Rangers. He flipped that problem into a 1st line center and a 1st pair defensemen.

Neal deal was obvious bad, no arguments there. Though he was just coming off a very successful finals run in Vegas at the time.

Calgary did not have the cap space to sign Tkachuk to a long term deal in 2019, especially after the Rantanen and Marner deals came out to set the market. Him eventually asking for a trade last year is completely unrelated.

Markstrom contract is perfectly fine. Only an idiot would think he is a bad goalie with no chance at bouncing back. 6M for a top goalie on the market is very standard, stop trying to compare it to something like the Bobrovsky blunder.

Johnny was extremely close to signing an extension and there was no way they were selling from 1st in the division that year. His wife made the call to go to Columbus, not him.

Huberdeau is overpaid but he is not a 60 point player either. He will undoubtedly be a ppg player again

Weegar contract is excellent, people were certain he was getting 9M.

Kadri contract was definitely suspect, I personally was and am still of the opinion that keeping Monahan was the better choice. If/when Monahan got injured they could have gone after Bo Horvat. On the other hand though I completely understand the reasoning for wanting to add a player like Kadri and I don't think the signing is nearly as bad as you are making it out to be.

Hartley was brutal in that 2nd year. 77 points would be barely ahead of Philly this year.

Gluten was not a good coach but he was also not there long accordingly. Notice how neither of those coaches are in the NHL anymore.

They hired a really good coach after that in Bill Peters (funny how you just forgot about that). However they had to let him go to the Akim Aliu incident which has nothing to do with his ability to coach. Thats when Ward was brought in as the intern head coach.

The Ward extension was ownerships decision, not Treliving's. Ownership is cheap and Ward was both cheap and got them to the playoffs.

Sutter is a good coach in the same sense that guys like Quenneville, Cassidy, Tortorella, and Bowness are good coaches. They run their teams similar to how Gordon Ramsay runs his kitchens. If things are working everyone is on board but if things dont go as planned the constant pressure he puts on the team can be very frustrating and demoralizing. Again it was ownerships decision to extend Sutter here not Treliving.

Overall i think you are only thinking with hindsight here and not considering circumstances at all. I also think you are drastically undervaluing the effects ownership had in Calgary. I wpuld say your opinion here is quite poor and you should be hoping that your Penguins higher Treliving
KingofRnR liked this.
Apr. 22, 2023 at 5:42 p.m.
TrevorA
Fumbling Adam fox? He literally refused to sign with anyone but the Rangers. He flipped that problem into a 1st line center and a 1st pair defensemen.

Neal deal was obvious bad, no arguments there. Though he was just coming off a very successful finals run in Vegas at the time.

Calgary did not have the cap space to sign Tkachuk to a long term deal in 2019, especially after the Rantanen and Marner deals came out to set the market. Him eventually asking for a trade last year is completely unrelated.

Markstrom contract is perfectly fine. Only an idiot would think he is a bad goalie with no chance at bouncing back. 6M for a top goalie on the market is very standard, stop trying to compare it to something like the Bobrovsky blunder.

Johnny was extremely close to signing an extension and there was no way they were selling from 1st in the division that year. His wife made the call to go to Columbus, not him.

Huberdeau is overpaid but he is not a 60 point player either. He will undoubtedly be a ppg player again

Kadri contract was definitely suspect, I personally was and am still of the opinion that keeping Monahan was the better choice. If/when Monahan got injured they could have gone after Bo Horvat. On the other hand though I completely understand the reasoning for wanting to add a player like Kadri and I don't think the signing is nearly as bad as you are making it out to be.

Hartley was brutal in that 2nd year. 77 points would be barely ahead of Philly this year.

Gluten was not a good coach but he was also not there long accordingly. Notice how neither of those coaches are in the NHL anymore.

They hired a really good coach after that in Bill Peters (funny how you just forgot about that). However they had to let him go to the Akim Aliu incident which has nothing to do with his ability to coach. Thats when Ward was brought in as the intern head coach.

The Ward extension was ownerships decision, not Treliving's. Ownership is cheap and Ward was both cheap and got them to the playoffs.

Sutter is a good coach in the same sense that guys like Quenneville, Cassidy, Tortorella, and Bowness are good coaches. They run their teams similar to how Gordon Ramsay runs his kitchens. If things are working everyone is on board but if things dont go as planned the constant pressure he puts on the team can be very frustrating and demoralizing. Again it was ownerships decision to extend Sutter here not Treliving.

Overall i think you are only thinking with hindsight here and not considering circumstances at all. I also think you are drastically undervaluing the effects ownership had in Calgary. I wpuld say your opinion here is quite poor and you should be hoping that your Penguins higher Treliving

This guy knows his Flames and what he’s taking about

Most knowledgeable guy on this forum AFAIC
Apr. 23, 2023 at 10:37 a.m.
spoiled penguins fan

Yea and the flames failed to come to terms with Fox and there have always been mixed reports on that. Some say he never officially told them he didn’t want to play there and some said he was focused on school until he graduated hence why Calgary didn’t want to risk losing him and went upon themselves to trade him. While yea anyone can agree they made it out decent with that trade now look…. Hanifin is likely on his way out this summer and Lindholm seems sketch about coming back? Reports of him to CAR at deadline and all that jazz….

And also never said the Tkachuk trade was related to 2019…. Saying how had they have signed him long term in 2019 none of that would’ve happened or even came close to being an issue. While sure Tkachuk stated he signed that deal to keep his options open and decide for the future later on, he would’ve easily signed that extension with Calgary if none of the Gaudreau BS was going on that Treliving created a rift between the both of them…

And for the Markstrom part, again never did I mention him being a “bad goalie” or being “incapable of bouncing back” moreso my point being that they signed a 30 year old goaltender to a 6 year extension making $6m until he’s 36 years old…. Just wait till that when comes around. Maybe they should’ve saved some of that money and you could still have had Tkachuk and Gaudreau and a cup contending team like they should’ve been….

Didn’t forget about Peters, was much of the same results anyway with losing in the first round and then being replaced the next season after the incident. That’s nothing that makes Treliving look any better….

And while sure you can put the blame on ownership on extending the guys behind the bench and this and that while that most likely isn’t the entire reality of things, I’d assume Treliving has a say and a bargain in most if not all of those things and the reality is that he’s the one putting all these guys behind the bench. And what’s been the result so far? 5/9 seasons in the playoffs (55%), 3 first round losses one of which they were a 1 seed and lost in 5 games in an embarrassing series, and 2 second round appearances and which they haven’t made it past there since 2009.
Apr. 23, 2023 at 2:48 p.m.
Yea and the flames failed to come to terms with Fox and there have always been mixed reports on that. Some say he never officially told them he didn’t want to play there and some said he was focused on school until he graduated hence why Calgary didn’t want to risk losing him and went upon themselves to trade him. While yea anyone can agree they made it out decent with that trade now look…. Hanifin is likely on his way out this summer and Lindholm seems sketch about coming back? Reports of him to CAR at deadline and all that jazz….

And also never said the Tkachuk trade was related to 2019…. Saying how had they have signed him long term in 2019 none of that would’ve happened or even came close to being an issue. While sure Tkachuk stated he signed that deal to keep his options open and decide for the future later on, he would’ve easily signed that extension with Calgary if none of the Gaudreau BS was going on that Treliving created a rift between the both of them…

And for the Markstrom part, again never did I mention him being a “bad goalie” or being “incapable of bouncing back” moreso my point being that they signed a 30 year old goaltender to a 6 year extension making $6m until he’s 36 years old…. Just wait till that when comes around. Maybe they should’ve saved some of that money and you could still have had Tkachuk and Gaudreau and a cup contending team like they should’ve been….

Didn’t forget about Peters, was much of the same results anyway with losing in the first round and then being replaced the next season after the incident. That’s nothing that makes Treliving look any better….

And while sure you can put the blame on ownership on extending the guys behind the bench and this and that while that most likely isn’t the entire reality of things, I’d assume Treliving has a say and a bargain in most if not all of those things and the reality is that he’s the one putting all these guys behind the bench. And what’s been the result so far? 5/9 seasons in the playoffs (55%), 3 first round losses one of which they were a 1 seed and lost in 5 games in an embarrassing series, and 2 second round appearances and which they haven’t made it past there since 2009.

Honestly this was a very amusing post to read and gave me a good laugh so thanks. Its like you are playing Devil's advocate but using hindsight as your main argument while ignoring the truth behind ever event you mentioned.

Fox reports have a lot more substance to them then you seem to think. It is also fact that he refused to sign in Carolina. On the other hand what you said about Hanifin and Lindholm has absolutely zero substance and you made that up entirely. Hanifin is literally under contract for another year so how you thing he's "on his way put this summer" is beyond me. Theb your part about Lindholm is nonsense too. Where did you get the idea he was "sketch about coming back," and what "reports of him to CAR at the deadline," non of that is credible.

I don't get why I need to repeat this. In 2019 Calgary did not have the cap space to sign Tkachuk to anything more than 7M. It's also why the Mark Stone trade fell through because they did not have the cap space to sign him with the looming Tkachuk deal. Tkachuk also never made a statement about wanting to keep his options open later on. He said he didn't want to force the team to break up after the season they had. Also this "rift" you mention is purely your own opinion,

Im genuinely curious how you think Calgary should have addressed their goaltending issue if not Markstrom. The Flame hadn't gad a legitimate starter in their prime since Kipper and one comes along in free agency who is best friends with their #1 center. He had also just finished 4th in Vezina voting that summer too. Calgary both pleased Lindholm and addressed a massive hole in the roster in 1 fell swoop. There is nothing you can say that will convince me Markstrom was a baf signing.

Peters was not the reason Calgary lost in the 1st round, he was a very good coach that won the west with ok goaltending and then lost in the 1st round to a red hot up and coming Colorado team that got excellent goaltending. Money was not an issue with Gaudreau and Tkachuk leaving, that money was clearly offered to them so how you can possibly tie them to the Markstrom signing is laughable.

I absolutely love how your main argument for the coaches is playoff success yet you are on record praising Dubas this thread. Complete hypocrisy. Its also obvious how you know nothing about Calgary ownership. These things about the coaching decisions have been leaked and also fall right in line with things like the new arena deal falling apart due to ownership wanting it paid for with the residents taxes.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll