SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Leafs 2022 2023 Season Discussion Thread (Part 6: Quest for the Cup)

May 8, 2023 at 1:33 a.m.
Amirov Forever
Quoting: aadoyle
Yep believe there is no one out there who fans will like

As bouddeau choker
Brunette swept by Tampa Keefe 1up that

If they go for a new HC and yes I know what happened but do we want a cup or not

Joel Quinville be the guy to me

He's won cups and is one of the best coaches. **** the media and backlash go for it

Stop pushing Q. He is not the guy. I really do not care about his on-ice accolades, he literally prioritized hockey over a man's life. He wasn't there for his guy when he needed him the most. That is not somebody I want on my team. Not in a million years. Screw Quenneville
Random2152 and Saskleaf liked this.
May 8, 2023 at 1:34 a.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Yep believe there is no one out there who fans will like

As bouddeau choker
Brunette swept by Tampa Keefe 1up that

If they go for a new HC and yes I know what happened but do we want a cup or not

Joel Quinville be the guy to me

He's won cups and is one of the best coaches. **** the media and backlash go for it

Not a chance on Q. Good coaches don't let that happen to their players.
NorthernLeafsFan05 liked this.
May 8, 2023 at 1:36 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Random2152
Not a chance on Q. Good coaches don't let that happen to their players.

I feel it but second chances be a thing. He learned he ****ed up and honestly I would risk it. As to me that man coaching the TML will increase the cup odds

As he has worked with guys like this and knows how to reshape a team

Cause unless Cooper or Cassidy become available there is nobody good out there rn

As all the other guys still be inexperienced or choke (Boudreau)

I swear if we bring in Gallant god help us
May 8, 2023 at 1:37 a.m.
Just Keep Swimming
I feel it but second chances be a thing

Not for this.
Inexcusable and unforgiveable.
NorthernLeafsFan05 liked this.
May 8, 2023 at 1:40 a.m.
Amirov Forever
I'm starting to think that Babs bullying Marner was actually good frankly. And Babs + Keefe are two different systems. We have seen it. We aren't trying to be the caps here - the caps are actually a lesson in failure.

I also subscribe to the notion that there is a shadow core on this team. The Matthews-Marner-Rielly-Kerfoot-Holl friend group and the JT-Willie group. The former have been the source of blue and white disease and we need to shake that group up. Small time moves like letting Kerf and Holl walk aren't going to change anything. That leaves Mitch - who lets be frank is an entitled douchbag and we all know it. If you want a culture reset - thats where you look.

Specifically mention those 5 because every time there is criticism it is always deflected by saying that they're terrific in the room

This one is of the wildest things I have ever read... Some things are bigger than hockey. Babcock singling out and humiliating Marner was disgusting. Plus, who are we to go throwing out judgements about Mitch? He is beloved by every single player on this team. He is arguably our most important player. He just clicks with everyone. If the answer to "resetting the culture" is trading Marner, than the culture you are looking for is a losing one. Literally no good came from Babs doing what he did to Marner. All it does is create a divide in the room. Babcock is an awful human being and it showed in how the Leafs played under him. I don't know why all of this Marner hate is cropping up because he isn't the only Leaf that has vanished. Like I said earlier, it is a weird coincidence that all of these individuals suddenly disappear at the same time every year. It's more than fair to question the coach. Trading these guys is going to do absolutely nothing
BigDaddyOvech liked this.
May 8, 2023 at 1:40 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Not for this.
Inexcusable and unforgiveable.

Hey we have seen guys like DeAngelo and Kane get second chances. And Chevy still working. Quin deserves a second chance with heavy restrictions by Bettman. As to me he's the coach to get the leafs as close to a cup as possible

Only other guys Cassidy but he's not happening unless VGK pulls a VGK again
May 8, 2023 at 1:43 a.m.
Amirov Forever
I feel it but second chances be a thing. He learned he ****ed up and honestly I would risk it. As to me that man coaching the TML will increase the cup odds

As he has worked with guys like this and knows how to reshape a team

Cause unless Cooper or Cassidy become available there is nobody good out there rn

As all the other guys still be inexperienced or choke (Boudreau)

I swear if we bring in Gallant god help us

He had his chance. Q could have gone to anybody and told them about what happened, but for years he kept it covered up and hid it. That is disgusting. I also hate this whole rhetoric that just because no former NHL coaches are available, nobody is. You know there are other leagues, right? People aren't just born as NHL coaches, they all come from somewhere. There are bound to be a ton of great candidates.
May 8, 2023 at 1:43 a.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: Nathaniel
This one is of the wildest things I have ever read... Some things are bigger than hockey. Babcock singling out and humiliating Marner was disgusting. Plus, who are we to go throwing out judgements about Mitch? He is beloved by every single player on this team. He is arguably our most important player. He just clicks with everyone. If the answer to "resetting the culture" is trading Marner, than the culture you are looking for is a losing one. Literally no good came from Babs doing what he did to Marner. All it does is create a divide in the room. Babcock is an awful human being and it showed in how the Leafs played under him. I don't know why all of this Marner hate is cropping up because he isn't the only Leaf that has vanished. Like I said earlier, it is a weird coincidence that all of these individuals suddenly disappear at the same time every year. It's more than fair to question the coach. Trading these guys is going to do absolutely nothing

Marner is the source of culture on the team - and that current culture is one of losing. And you aren't paying attention if you think Mitch is some kind of saint. Dude looks and acts like your typical highschool bully who thinks he is hot-****. And hey give him credit he is, but that doesn't change the fact that he comes off like the frat boy that girls never hang around alone
May 8, 2023 at 1:44 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Stop pushing Q. He is not the guy. I really do not care about his on-ice accolades, he literally prioritized hockey over a man's life. He wasn't there for his guy when he needed him the most. That is not somebody I want on my team. Not in a million years. Screw Quenneville

Then who u want Brunette that guys done nothing different than Keefe except just get an easy push to pres trophy after Quin did the work till he was let go

Boudreau playoff choker

Gallant 2 years than falls apart

Laviolette old school useless

Sutter retirement

Nobody available who will lead this team further

As unless Cassidy, Cooper, Sullivan become available nobody good out there who can be a diff maker
May 8, 2023 at 1:44 a.m.
Amirov Forever
Hey we have seen guys like DeAngelo and Kane get second chances. And Chevy still working. Quin deserves a second chance with heavy restrictions by Bettman. As to me he's the coach to get the leafs as close to a cup as possible

Only other guys Cassidy but he's not happening unless VGK pulls a VGK again

That's a whole other can of worms. It's really just a testament to how much of a boys club the NHL is and how toxic hockey culture is. But thats a discussion for another time.

Q is not the guy. He is a scumbag. End of story
May 8, 2023 at 1:46 a.m.
Amirov Forever
Then who u want Brunette that guys done nothing different than Keefe except just get an easy push to pres trophy after Quin did the work till he was let go

Boudreau playoff choker

Gallant 2 years than falls apart

Laviolette old school

Sutter retirement

Nobody available who will lead this team further

As unless Cassidy, Cooper, Sullivan become available nobody good out there

There are other leagues... There aren't only 32 coaches in circulation at any given time. There are a plethora of talented coaches, and to be frank, I'd take anyone over that miserable pathetic old man
May 8, 2023 at 1:47 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
There are other leagues... There aren't only 32 coaches in circulation at any given time. There are a plethora of talented coaches

Yes guys who are downgrades or lateral moves to Keefe great

If we bring in a new coach I want the best not another assistant with NHL HC potential as if that's the plan just keep Keefe he can get u 100point seasons and win u a round whe. His players are not ghosts

Cassidy
Cooper
Sullivan
Etc

Basically coaches who have won cups and know how to build a cup winning culture or get close enough
May 8, 2023 at 1:50 a.m.
Amirov Forever
Yes guys who are downgrades or lateral moves to Keefe great

If we bring in a new coach I want the best not another assistant with NHL HC potential as if that's the plan just keep Keefe he can get u 100point seasons

Cassidy
Cooper
Sullivan
Etc

What good are 100 point seasons if you get nowhere in the playoffs? Also if you think any coaches of that caliber are available, you're DREAMING. How do you think guys like Cooper or Cassidy get as good as they do? Teams took a chance on them. I've had enough of Keefe's stubbornness and his inability to adjust. He is not the guy we need.
May 8, 2023 at 1:53 a.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
The only thing that brings me some joy right now
Fvk1tkHWcAAkzjy?format=jpg&name=large
May 8, 2023 at 1:54 a.m.
Amirov Forever
Quoting: MatthewsFan
The only thing that brings me some joy right now
Fvk1tkHWcAAkzjy?format=jpg&name=large

niemela.jpg&w=1200&q=75

This guy helps too
MatthewsFan and BigDaddyOvech liked this.
May 8, 2023 at 1:56 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited May 8, 2023 at 2:29 a.m.
What good are 100 point seasons if you get nowhere in the playoffs? Also if you think any coaches of that caliber are available, you're DREAMING. How do you think guys like Cooper or Cassidy get as good as they do? Teams took a chance on them. I've had enough of Keefe's stubbornness and his inability to adjust. He is not the guy we need.

Winning a round is going no where....Keefe did something no coach did in 19 years

This is Toronto not Tampa. Cooper won rounds and built a culture with Yzerman before finally winning it all had setbacks but the signs were there. We got the players now we need a proper coach (unless we do the reverse sweep or push to 6 or 7). Not someone who has no HC experience we went that route and it got us a round 1 that's potentially it. An experienced cup winning coach is now needed. Someone who knows what a winning culture is and who knows how to deal with players like this

No more experimenting with maybes go for the now. But knowing us it's gonna probs be Boudreau or Gallant if they move on from Keefe rip

As Boudreau the game 7 choker is the last thing we need and Gallant only works for 1 year than regression

Well guess it's Laviolette or bust
May 8, 2023 at 7:18 a.m.
Rip
And then in 2 years hes holding the cup and doing the Kadri line fun

People said I caved under pressure well F-them lul

Nope not doing that again

Marner hasn't been good when it counts. At some point when do you hold him accountable for that? I am not saying he has to be traded but he was a no show the entire round and didn't do much to help us past Tampa either. Matthews, Nylander, Rielly and even JT at times all elevated their games and made major plays in the playoffs. Marner was just there.
May 8, 2023 at 9:41 a.m.
Saskoiler for now
Hey if they put up a fight and lose R2 rather than getting swept u can look back and go at least they made things close

As this team always seems to do best when in a corner

They accomplished something they havent done in 19 years but still got growing to do

As hey a 19 year round drought broken was a good first step what we wanted them to break the record for most R1 losses in a row lul

I don’t care if they lose in game 7 quadruple overtime in this series, it’s still a massive failure.
May 8, 2023 at 9:43 a.m.
Saskoiler for now
Quoting: MatthewsFan
They also had no business beating TBL, got lucky as fukc

You’re not wrong, but Montreal had no business beating us in 2021 and also got lucky. But I’m definitely done with the “they’ll eventually do it” narrative. They will never do it.
May 8, 2023 at 9:48 a.m.
Saskoiler for now
Quoting: RipNasty
If they don't like Dubas what kind of alternative do you expect them to fly towards? If they move from Dubas, they will fire the coach and change direction big time. Then you'll see the leafs trade either Matthews or Nylander or Marner for Karlsson or something and it will immediately look bad which will lead to other bad decisions and this team amounts to nothing. Dubas is not the fall guy. He's done too much good. He's built a great team that needs a better coach

You are missing my point entirely. I NEVER SAID I don’t like Dubas, in fact I literally said the opposite. What I’m saying is, this team needs to be blown to sheds and it maybe be best to start completely from scratch. At this point it doesn’t matter that Dubas isn’t the problem, he might have to take some of the blame. Hockey is a team sport.
May 8, 2023 at 9:49 a.m.
Tintin over 1122
Quoting: Saskleaf
You are missing my point entirely. I NEVER SAID I don’t like Dubas, in fact I literally said the opposite. What I’m saying is, this team needs to be blown to sheds and it maybe be best to start completely from scratch. At this point it doesn’t matter that Dubas isn’t the problem, he might have to take some of the blame. Hockey is a team sport.

It’s the teams fault not management
Saskleaf liked this.
May 8, 2023 at 9:56 a.m.
Saskoiler for now
Quoting: capsfan2121

I don’t disagree. But sometimes change is good.
capsfan2121 liked this.
May 8, 2023 at 10:00 a.m.
Tintin over 1122
How much for nylander. The one that actually shows up
May 8, 2023 at 11:13 a.m.
Rip
Quoting: Saskleaf

Blown to shreds is a massive overreaction. Looking at the stars as the problem for game 3 is silly. While yeah Marner was bad and no one scored, they have been unlucky in the round. The big problem is the inability to make adjustments when it's not going their way. That's on the coach and the coach alone. If your game plan isn't working change the game plan, you don't just hope it turns around and that is what Keefe does. Dubas fired Babcock for refusing to bend, now it's Keefe's turn.
May 8, 2023 at 11:13 a.m.
Rip
Quoting: capsfan2121

Coaches fault

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll