SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Leafs 2022 2023 Season Discussion Thread (Part 6: Quest for the Cup)

May 9, 2023 at 6:18 p.m.
Rip
Quoting: Sign_em_up000000
I hear ya believe I do but I don't think Keefe can out duel PM.

In fairness, Maurice sucks as well, he's just been lucky so far.
Sign_em_up000000 liked this.
May 9, 2023 at 6:18 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: RipNasty
Whoever wins the memorial cup would be my choice

Hunter isn't leaving London
May 9, 2023 at 6:20 p.m.
In fairness, Maurice sucks as well, he's just been lucky so far.

He's been better than Keefe and that's all that really matters at this point. I give Florida credit for wanting it more and they got on a hot streak at the right time but this group and coaching staff have been disappointing to this point.
May 9, 2023 at 6:26 p.m.
Rip
Washington should have absolutely won more than 1 cup with that core including arguably the best goal scorer of all time. How anyone can view Washington's success during the Ovi era as anything other than a failure is beyond me and they absolutely should have adjusted earlier.

We know the results with them keeping their core intact but how can you argue they couldn't have won more if they adjusted more rather than keeping the course?

I think that's very unfair. They have similarities to TO as well. They had Pittsburgh who was just better to go through. I don't think they could have won more. This year should be ours, Boston, Tampa, Colorado are all out. Carolina is super hurt. But our coach sucks and never changes anything beyond throwing guys on different lines.
May 9, 2023 at 6:27 p.m.
Rip
He's been better than Keefe and that's all that really matters at this point. I give Florida credit for wanting it more and they got on a hot streak at the right time but this group and coaching staff have been disappointing to this point.

He hasn't changed anything they do at all in this series. Keefe just hasn't adjusted to what Florida does. Florida really only has quick strike offence, nullify that and they are done. Keefe has done nothing to address that.
Sign_em_up000000 liked this.
May 9, 2023 at 6:28 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited May 9, 2023 at 6:34 p.m.
Yes this team needs to wake up and need to share the blame 💯 but Keefe is not nore has he been the a good enough coach to take a team to the cup, especially one as talented as this one is.

There's no sieries this team has blown it. Or another way to put it is what makes you think this team could win the sieries at this point?

Do you think Keefe shouldn't share the blame for how this year has transpired? Do you view this as a success? This is now the 2nd opportunity this team has had an easier path to the cup and have not taken it.

How many coaches in the modern era have these past 5 years

2x Cooper (Multiple setbacks including 2019 Sweep)

Bednar (Had a R2 hurdle till last year)

Bowness (Cinderella run already causing problems with his new team WPG)

Ducharme (Cinderella run not working in NHL rn is he)

Berube (One and done)

Trotz (GM of NSH but how many years of misery did he and WSH go through before it happened)

Cassidy (Once then falloff, fired and with VGK)

Gallant (Is a coach u get 1-2 good years from then fall off never can keep a job just ask NYR, VGK, FLA, ETC)
May 9, 2023 at 6:28 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Random2152
Hunter isn't leaving London

And I do not want him near hear lul

The drafting records enough to show it lul

All those duds AHHHHH
May 9, 2023 at 6:31 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Whoever wins the memorial cup would be my choice

So more inexperienced guys who have 0 NHL experience .... NO lul
May 9, 2023 at 6:33 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Quoting: aadoyle

NHL hockey is still hockey 🤷‍♂️
May 9, 2023 at 6:34 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Nathaniel
NHL hockey is still hockey 🤷‍♂️

Its completely different than Junior hockey. U put an OHL coach in a SCF game vs an NHL coach whose winning

We dont need less experience lul

Were not rebuilding if a coach comes in better be more experienced than Keefe but as I said options out there rn aint good
May 9, 2023 at 6:35 p.m.
Rip
He doesnt really have to so much as people think. As even if he outcoaches if big boyz arent doing anything what goods that. Big boyz got to wake the **** up lul

Like Keefe's put them in every matchup and situation and all have been zzzzzzzz

Nylanders the only guy doing at least something but even thats not enough

They bat one goal and start producing there could still be a series. As if its been this close score wise with no big 4 scoring imagine they get going.

But hes the scapegoat for the fans lul

The big boys are playing exactly how they are supposed to within the coaches system. That's why they cycle around the outside and wait for the slot to open up. It's how they are coached and when it's not working Keefe just changes Bunting with Jarnkrok and that's his adjustment, nothing system wise. Just do the same thing but with a different winger. He needs to change how he approaches the opposition
May 9, 2023 at 6:35 p.m.
Tintin over 1122
Quoting: MatthewsFan
When TOR gets compared to WSH the thing I don't get is:

WSH ran a core featuring Ovechkin(Matthews), Backstrom(Marner), Carlson(Rielly), Orlov(Brodie), and Holtby(Samsonov) for six years before finally winning in year seven. The secondary core at the beginning of their window featured players such as Semin, Johansson, Laich, Wideman, and Brouwer. When they eventually won, the secondary group was completely replaced by Kuznetsov(draft), Wilson(draft), Burakovsky (draft), Vrana(draft), Stephenson(draft), Oshie(trade), Eller(trade), and Niskanen(FA).

What is TOR secondary core right now: O'Reilly(trade), Acciari(trade), Kerfoot, Bunting, Kampf, Jarnkrok(FA), Knies(draft),Lafferty, ZAR, and McCabe(trade) Like who out of that group would be Burakovsky, Vrana, Wilson, Kuznetsov? That is some pretty serious skill.

The lack of depth on this team is staggering. Yes, we will only go as far as Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Nylander, takes them, but there as some serious weak links on this roster construction.

Chandler was barely depth on the team. Orpik was FA, the depth of the team was crazy. Cup 18 Caps don’t compare to leafs now a days imo.
May 9, 2023 at 6:40 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
And I do not want him near hear lul

The drafting records enough to show it lul

All those duds AHHHHH

(There are two hunters. I am refering to Dale as coaching is the subject).

Actually there is technically 3, but Dylan doesnt get much attention
aadoyle liked this.
May 9, 2023 at 6:42 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
(There are two hunters. I am refering to Dale as coaching is the subject).

Actually there is technically 3, but Dylan doesnt get much attention

oh good
May 9, 2023 at 6:53 p.m.
Rip

Some old has been isn't the answer either. I don't know who should coach but it has to be someone who adjusts to what the other team does. That isn't Keefe
May 9, 2023 at 6:54 p.m.
Rip
Its completely different than Junior hockey. U put an OHL coach in a SCF game vs an NHL coach whose winning

We dont need less experience lul

Were not rebuilding if a coach comes in better be more experienced than Keefe but as I said options out there rn aint good

You are the guy that suggest Q right? Yeah I don't think we will agree on things
May 9, 2023 at 7:01 p.m.
Tintin over 1122
Leafs should sign Craig Smith next year no joke.

He is actually really good. And will be on of the hardest workers on the ice.
May 9, 2023 at 7:06 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Good thread 🧵

May 9, 2023 at 7:10 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Good thread 🧵

This would be interesting if it didnt also happen under Babcock
aadoyle liked this.
May 9, 2023 at 7:13 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
This would be interesting if it didnt also happen under Babcock

With Babcock u could honestly argue it was worse.
May 9, 2023 at 7:15 p.m.
Tintin over 1122
I know the big four plays like horse sh*t in the playoffs sometimes but they produce pretty well. Kinda weird
May 9, 2023 at 7:57 p.m.
Rip
Good thread 🧵

This is driving me crazy, it's clear Keefe isn't a playoff coach but instead of holding him accountable, let's blow it up. Make the team worse and blow it up and fire everyone and start over. Just madness
May 9, 2023 at 7:57 p.m.
Rip
Quoting: capsfan2121
I know the big four plays like horse sh*t in the playoffs sometimes but they produce pretty well. Kinda weird

If they win these clowns say they are incredible, if they lose, worst players ever. It's manic
May 9, 2023 at 8:09 p.m.
Rip
When TOR gets compared to WSH the thing I don't get is:

WSH ran a core featuring Ovechkin(Matthews), Backstrom(Marner), Carlson(Rielly), Orlov(Brodie), and Holtby(Samsonov) for six years before finally winning in year seven. The secondary core at the beginning of their window featured players such as Semin, Johansson, Laich, Wideman, and Brouwer. When they eventually won, the secondary group was completely replaced by Kuznetsov(draft), Wilson(draft), Burakovsky (draft), Vrana(draft), Stephenson(draft), Oshie(trade), Eller(trade), and Niskanen(FA).

What is TOR secondary core right now: O'Reilly(trade), Acciari(trade), Kerfoot, Bunting, Kampf, Jarnkrok(FA), Knies(draft),Lafferty, ZAR, and McCabe(trade) Like who out of that group would be Burakovsky, Vrana, Wilson, Kuznetsov? That is some pretty serious skill.

The lack of depth on this team is staggering. Yes, we will only go as far as Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Nylander, takes them, but there as some serious weak links on this roster construction.

You should just pack it in and cheer for a different team. It sure seems like you hate this team.
May 9, 2023 at 8:13 p.m.
Amirov Forever
You should just pack it in and cheer for a different team. It sure seems like you hate this team.

I dont really get that impression. Everyone here loves the Leafs, and as someone that has followed this team through some very dark days, it is infuriating to see such an amazing group of stars be wasted. We haven't had cup winning depth for ages, and if we blow it with a core as incredible as we have now, it will haunt us for ages. I hate that we can't get the most out of our roster. I want to see this team succeed more than many things, and this group obviously has it. We havent gotten the support or coaching we deserve. It is infuriating.
leafs101 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll