Salary Cap Mode: Accurate/Prorated
LTIR Enabled: Yes
Season Days: 185
Days Remaining: 185
Season Remaining: 100%
Projected Cap Hit Prior To Days Remaining Tooltip : $73,839,166
Description
Explanation:

Edmonton - This trade gives them cheap depth at forward and a playoff type defenceman while removing cap. Ill admit I dont know Petrov's depth so the picks can be adjusted accordingly

Rangers - Over the next 2 seasons the Rangers are going to find themselves in tough spot cap wise with Laf and Miller needing new contracts at the end of this year. Kakko is arguably the weakest link of the kid line with .5 PPG at 22 years old. This is very much like the Dach trade in the sense that futures are given up in return for a potentially high return player. Evans and Pezzeta are good forward depth and the Calgary pick could land in the top 15 if their woes continue.

Pittsburgh - As long as Crosby & co are there they will be in win now mode. Carter wont help them with that and lets not forget that Dvorak was a very good 2 way center as recently as last year so this year can be seen as a down year. Poulin is also very boom or bust it seems with poor AHL production at 22 years old.

btw can we start having habs trades that involve teams other than the jets again?
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
8$8,000,000
2$1,250,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$2,750,000
Trades
EDM
  1. Edmundson, Joel ($1,750,000 retained)
  2. Ylönen, Jesse [RFA Rights]
  3. 2024 3rd round pick (MTL)
NYR
  1. Evans, Jake
  2. Pezzetta, Michael [RFA Rights]
  3. 2025 1st round pick (CGY)
MTL
  1. Carter, Jeff
  2. Poulin, Samuel
  3. 2024 4th round pick (PIT)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
24$83,500,000$74,422,499$1,170,000$4,195,000$9,077,501
Prorated Cap Hit

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$8,000,000$8,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 8
$7,875,000$7,875,000
C
UFA - 7
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$1,250,000$1,250,000
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$3,362,500$3,362,500
C, RW
RFA - 3
Logo of the New York Rangers
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW
RFA - 1
$897,500$897,500
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$2,750,000$2,750,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 1
$950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$3,500,000$4M)
RW, LW
RFA - 2
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$3,125,000$3,125,000
RW, C
NMC
UFA - 1
$3,400,000$3,400,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,875,000$4,875,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$420,000$420K)
LD/RD
RFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
G
UFA - 1
$1,400,000$1,400,000
LD/RD
RFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RD
UFA - 2
$1,925,000$1,925,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$828,333$828,333
LD/RD
RFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$275,000$275K)
RD
RFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$762,500$762,500
RD
UFA - 1
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 4
$10,500,000$10,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 3
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW
UFA - 1
$766,667$766,667
RD
UFA - 2
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$863,333$863,333
C, LW
RFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Apr. 26, 2023 at 4:57 p.m.
Quoting: xxToothxx
Sorry dude, but you need to watch a few games. Kaako has become a beast down low and on the walls WORKING for pucks... Yamamoto is a cherry picker on Connor and Leon's team.

Good argument. Assume something about me, and call people names. You win
CD282 liked this.
Apr. 26, 2023 at 5:56 p.m.
HuGo is a Boss GM
Quoting: Subbanator7667
Just not a fan of his and would rather take a chance on Calgary's down fall. Aging core, major FAs to resign before that year and will likely be adjusting to a new coach around that time. All of those are recipes for disaster and MTL could cash in big with that pick.

The pick has protections that would drive it to a pick in 2026, no?
Apr. 26, 2023 at 6:19 p.m.
Quoting: hoac434
It doesn't take from the fact that NYR will be in cap hell for the next 2 seasons so ideally they move someone. They wont get a top 5 pick for Laf or kakko, they haven't shown they are worth that. All other players on the roster seem a bit too immovable or with too little cap to make a difference

Won’t be an issue. It will be far easier to navigate than TB 2 years ago.
Apr. 26, 2023 at 9:30 p.m.
Exhausted Ranger Fan
Quoting: xxToothxx
If NY is unable to move Panarin, I think Lafreniere is the one traded of the 3. Chytil just signed 4 yrs and Kaako has a very big boy game and getting better. He will get to net front presence like Kreider soon. I like that Lafreniere plays a hard 2 way game for NY. I don't think he's the line driving Superstar you hope for at #1 overall, but he very talented and can play on top line with the very best.

We’re not looking to move Panarin by any means; however, I’m sure we’d prioritize a guy a decade younger lmao.
Apr. 26, 2023 at 9:46 p.m.
Subbanator
Quoting: jonh514
The pick has protections that would drive it to a pick in 2026, no?

It has protections for 2024 and then no protections for 2025 I believe. It's a weird one
Apr. 27, 2023 at 10:05 a.m.
Tabarnak
It doesn't take from the fact that NYR will be in cap hell for the next 2 seasons so ideally they move someone. They wont get a top 5 pick for Laf or kakko, they haven't shown they are worth that. All other players on the roster seem a bit too immovable or with too little cap to make a difference

So, would a package of FLA's 2023 1st and a top prospect like Joshua Roy be good value for Laffy?
Apr. 27, 2023 at 10:32 a.m.
Quoting: Koskinen_The_Great
The craziest part of what you're saying is that the Oilers at worst could put Edmundson, Ylonen on waivers (they'll both be claimed) but even in your delusional head, the practical idea of sending them down eliminates their cap hits at 1.75M (eddy) and about 1M(ylonen) which would give the Oil a 3rd round pick for the cap dump of Foegele whom can be easily replaced on the market by players like Okposo and Hathaway at a cheaper cost.
What you are saying in the end is that you dont want draft picks which the Oilers can flip for cheap assets and buying at the deadline. Brilliant management with no solutions

Alright, I'll bite.

1.) Sending down Edmunson at 1.75mil and Ylonen at 1mil would still leave the Oilers with a cap hit of ~600k (1.15mil/contract is buriable). I don't presume that Ylonen would be sent down, though. Assuming your own figure of 1mil on an extension for Ylonen (probably could be had for a bit less, but it's your figure sooo), that effectively means we'd have Ylonen on a cap hit of 1.6mil (1mil of his own, 600k of Edmundson's dead cap). That's fine, but non-optimal.

2.) The entire basis for your position assumes the premise that Foegele is a burden and, as such, should qualify as a cap dump- a term that SHOULD be defined as costing assets to be rid of. As my original comment suggests, I reject this premise entirely. Foegele is a quality bottom-6 F whose chance generation rates rank him between 2nd and 4th on the team (per-60) across individual scoring chance categories in company with Hyman, Kane, and McDavid. Keep in mind that this is while playing approx 75% of his minutes in the bottom-6, unlike the other 3. And it's not just chance generation but even his actual 5-on-5 offense (2.1 pts/60) exceeds his role by quite a margin. This in conjunction with his age, good on-ice chemistry with McLeod, and his off-ice relationships with the core players denotes a player of genuine value that the team should work to retain, not be desperate to dump.

Since you seem to need me to spell it out for you, the fact that I believe that Foegele is a valuable piece to the bottom-6 is the central point of my argument and one that I clearly stated in the original comment.

3.) You also frame the discussion (that snide "with no solutions" hasn't been missed) as if Edmonton would have no other options which is a falacious way to frame the discussion.

4.) Your "analysis" completely ignores Matvey Petrov's includsion in the deal who, after both his primary linemates from last year moved on from juniors, maintained a high level of play while evolving his style to produce another successful offensive season. While I won't sit here and suggest he's worth high picks, I'd peg his value within the range of 4th (or perhaps a 3rd) given his development since drafting.

5.) Lastly, you presume that any of the remotely comparable UFAs would sign in EDM and do so for a low enough cap hit to fit within what you seem to believe is an unmanageably tight cap situation. Given the aforementioned math on Ylonen and Edmundson, the replacement's cap hit would need to be less than 1.8mil to remain under the threshold of Foegele and a player on league minimum (3.425mil). This is without even addressing the likelihood that they contribute to the team to the degree that Foegele did this year.

Given all this, yes, I don't want to give up Foegele and Petrov for Ylonen @ ~1.6mil and a 3rd. Now take your "brilliant management solutions" and bad faith interpretations and shove 'em.
CD282 liked this.
Apr. 27, 2023 at 11:26 a.m.
Quoting: Blasphem_Guy
So, would a package of FLA's 2023 1st and a top prospect like Joshua Roy be good value for Laffy?

In terms of pure value probably since Laffy still has more upside than Roy but I don't see it happening, the Hughes regime probably wants to see what their prospects can do on the big stage first
Apr. 27, 2023 at 11:31 a.m.
Quoting: SupremeBone
Alright, I'll bite.

1.) Sending down Edmunson at 1.75mil and Ylonen at 1mil would still leave the Oilers with a cap hit of ~600k (1.15mil/contract is buriable). I don't presume that Ylonen would be sent down, though. Assuming your own figure of 1mil on an extension for Ylonen (probably could be had for a bit less, but it's your figure sooo), that effectively means we'd have Ylonen on a cap hit of 1.6mil (1mil of his own, 600k of Edmundson's dead cap). That's fine, but non-optimal.

2.) The entire basis for your position assumes the premise that Foegele is a burden and, as such, should qualify as a cap dump- a term that SHOULD be defined as costing assets to be rid of. As my original comment suggests, I reject this premise entirely. Foegele is a quality bottom-6 F whose chance generation rates rank him between 2nd and 4th on the team (per-60) across individual scoring chance categories in company with Hyman, Kane, and McDavid. Keep in mind that this is while playing approx 75% of his minutes in the bottom-6, unlike the other 3. And it's not just chance generation but even his actual 5-on-5 offense (2.1 pts/60) exceeds his role by quite a margin. This in conjunction with his age, good on-ice chemistry with McLeod, and his off-ice relationships with the core players denotes a player of genuine value that the team should work to retain, not be desperate to dump.

Since you seem to need me to spell it out for you, the fact that I believe that Foegele is a valuable piece to the bottom-6 is the central point of my argument and one that I clearly stated in the original comment.

3.) You also frame the discussion (that snide "with no solutions" hasn't been missed) as if Edmonton would have no other options which is a falacious way to frame the discussion.

4.) Your "analysis" completely ignores Matvey Petrov's includsion in the deal who, after both his primary linemates from last year moved on from juniors, maintained a high level of play while evolving his style to produce another successful offensive season. While I won't sit here and suggest he's worth high picks, I'd peg his value within the range of 4th (or perhaps a 3rd) given his development since drafting.

5.) Lastly, you presume that any of the remotely comparable UFAs would sign in EDM and do so for a low enough cap hit to fit within what you seem to believe is an unmanageably tight cap situation. Given the aforementioned math on Ylonen and Edmundson, the replacement's cap hit would need to be less than 1.8mil to remain under the threshold of Foegele and a player on league minimum (3.425mil). This is without even addressing the likelihood that they contribute to the team to the degree that Foegele did this year.

Given all this, yes, I don't want to give up Foegele and Petrov for Ylonen ~1.6mil and a 3rd. Now take your "brilliant management solutions" and bad faith interpretations and shove 'em.

As a non-oiler fan I often hear either that Yamamoto or Foegele are cap dumps/not worth that much. Do you think Yamamoto qualifies as that? If so would Yamamoto + Petrov for Ylonen + 3rd + Edmundson (50%) or Kovacevic work? MTL need to make some space in defence, we have 3 extras right now who would get picked up on waivers probably
Apr. 27, 2023 at 12:06 p.m.
As a non-oiler fan I often hear either that Yamamoto or Foegele are cap dumps/not worth that much. Do you think Yamamoto qualifies as that? If so would Yamamoto + Petrov for Ylonen + 3rd + Edmundson (50%) or Kovacevic work? MTL need to make some space in defence, we have 3 extras right now who would get picked up on waivers probably

Exactly who's closer or more likely to be a 'cap dump' is something that'll vary based on who you ask but, in my eyes, Yamo is likely the closest among the 4 plausible cap casualties (Yamo, Foegele, Kulak, and Ceci). I call them 'cap casualties' as distinct from 'cap dumps' to distinguish that they can be had for cheaper due to the team's cap situation. Meanwhile, I reserve 'cap dump' as a term for a player that's a burden, entirely not worth their cap hit, and that would cost assets to be rid of (e.g. Kassian last year or Campbell).

More to your question, a case could be made that Yamo's value separate from the Oilers' cap situation is the closest to neutral (perhaps even negative in some peoples' eyes) and, as such, a lowering of his value due to cap circumstances would necessitate an asset going in return to move him out. I disagree with this, but it's probably the strongest case among those 4.

To address the more general thrust of the question, I just don't think EDM is in a position to make such a move. If they were to dump Yamo, it would either be to get rid of his entire cap hit or to use him as part of a bigger deal to upgrade on him. As such, you're better off finding a different team to take on Edmundson's contract. If you're open to a suggestion, Edmundson is only due around 1.1875mil following his bonus payout and might therefore be a more attractive asset to a team looking to save money (ANA, ARI, SJ, etc). Alternatively, just bury Edmundson like your arrogant fellow-Habs fan suggested EDM do. I'm confident no one would claim him.
CD282 liked this.
Apr. 27, 2023 at 2:32 p.m.
Quoting: SupremeBone

The narrative around Foegele is completely at odds with reality.

You mentioned that he's among the top players on the Oilers roster for chance generation, but it's better than that - he's among the best in the league.

A little context for my stats. I took full season 5v5 stats and applied two filters: forwards only and minimun TOI of 495 minutes. That leaves us with the top 385 players by minutes played. Why 385? Because there are 32 teams and each with 12 regular forwards. 32 x 12 = 384, so pretty close. This way we can divide results by "1st line" (top 96 players), "2nd line" (97-192), etc. All stats are expressed as "per 60 minutes" to equalize for TOI differences.

So here's how Foegele stacks up:

G/60: 0.93 (84th, tied with Panarin) 1st line rate
P/60: 2.09 (85th, tied with Tavares) 1st line rate
S/60: 9.36 (50th, tied with Cozens) 1st line rate
xG/60: 1.16 (9th, tied with Tavares) elite 1st line rate
SCF/60: 10.90 (23rd) elite 1st line rate
HDCF/60: 6.19 (8th), elite 1st line rate
Tka/60: 3.63 (3rd), elite 1st line rate
Hits/60: 7.11 (108th tied with Kreider) high 2nd line rate

Now consider that he spent just 8% of his TOI with McDavid this year. Foegele is a value contract, the exact opposite of a cap dump.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll