Forums/Armchair-GM

Getting competitive

Created by: mvp13
Team: 2023-24 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 7, 2023
Published: Apr. 30, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I feel like this team would still have a lot of question marks... on defense in general, lack of a proper PP QB, in net... but, at least at forward, this is a seriously well rounded lineup as long as Slaf and RHP can produce. This team should at the very least be a lot more competitive than it is this year, while it works out the rest of the kinks. If they're performing well, perhaps they try to get a better goalie or defensemen at the TDL. I wouldn't waste assets on it just yet until you see how this lineup unfolds to start the year.

Stanely is largely a throw-in with the PLD deal, primarily in case Edmundson gets injured, or one of the younger players struggles. I imagine Barron or even Mailoux will get some reps, especially considering how left-handed this dcorps is. For fun, I added them to the roster. It was a bit too painful to watch too many MTL games this year, but I do believe Goul-ee and Harris and Arber are all better than Barron, right now, anyway. The problem is too many lefties, but such is life...

I considered signing Gurianov, but I don't know if it's worth it. I am also a DAL fan, so I just have barely any confidence in the guy. There are too many wingers on this roster as is to have another one lying around. I think it's best to set him free to a team that can play him in the top 6 where he can hopefully find his game. I can't imagine the other UFAs returning, unless Monahan somehow gets magic surgery.

PS: I started this team a long time ago, I don't know why I gave Goalfield and Pizzafetta 5 year terms haha... too lazy to erase it and start over, so sub in different terms as needed.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
5$7,000,000
5$1,000,000
8$8,000,000
1$900,000
1$1,000,000
Trades
MTL
  1. Dubois, Pierre-Luc [RFA Rights]
  2. Stanley, Logan [RFA Rights]
WPG
  1. 2023 1st round pick (FLA)
Additional Details:
Add in whatever prospect would be necessary
MTL
    To anywhere. Chicago is the new Arizona
    CHI
    1. Gurianov, Denis [RFA Rights]
    2. Hoffman, Mike
    Additional Details:
    Add whatever else would need to be added to make it work
    Buyouts
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the VGK
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the CGY
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the CGY
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    25$83,500,000$72,569,999$1,170,000$4,277,500$10,930,001

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
    $7,000,000$7,000,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 8
    $7,875,000$7,875,000
    C
    UFA - 7
    $5,500,000$5,500,000
    RW, LW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 4
    $950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$3,500,000$4M)
    RW, LW
    RFA - 2
    $8,000,000$8,000,000
    C
    UFA - 8
    $3,362,500$3,362,500
    C, RW
    RFA - 3
    $1,000,000$1,000,000
    LW, RW
    RFA - 2
    $4,450,000$4,450,000
    C
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $6,500,000$6,500,000
    RW, LW
    M-NTC, NMC
    UFA - 4
    $1,000,000$1,000,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 2
    $1,700,000$1,700,000
    C
    UFA - 2
    $3,400,000$3,400,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 2
    $1,100,000$1,100,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $4,875,000$4,875,000
    LD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    $3,500,000$3,500,000
    RD
    UFA - 2
    $1,925,000$1,925,000
    G
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $875,000$875,000
    LD/RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $1,400,000$1,400,000
    LD/RD
    RFA - 2
    $1,000,000$1,000,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    $828,333$828,333
    LD/RD
    RFA - 1
    $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$420,000$420K)
    LD/RD
    RFA - 2
    $900,000$900,000
    LD
    RFA - 1
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$275,000$275K)
    RD
    RFA - 1
    $875,000$875,000 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
    RD
    RFA - 3
    $762,500$762,500
    RD
    UFA - 1
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $10,500,000$10,500,000
    G
    NMC
    UFA - 3

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Apr. 30, 2023 at 11:19 a.m.
    Stars
    Slavkosky Sucks, bro move him down
    Apr. 30, 2023 at 11:27 a.m.
    Future Norris guy
    Winnipeg still wants to compete, Going to take more than just the 17th OA pick to get PLD and Stanley.
    swinny liked this.
    Apr. 30, 2023 at 11:33 a.m.
    Quoting: TheAce
    Slavkosky Sucks, bro move him down

I don't think he sucks, but having him play in Laval for the year would be more beneficial imo..... the Habs are exactly going places next year. Give him a chance to play major minutes, get used to the North American game and gain confidence.

Now for more:

With some more than minor changes coming in Winnipeg, moving on PDL is in the wheelhouse. But......

1. The Habs have zero use for Stanley.... far too deep on the blueline imo. I get you have concerns, but the skill and youth the Habs have in the backend need to play to gain experience and get better.

Further, if Winnipeg is going to move PDL, I think you are adding Beck at the very least. A straight up first that is mid pack probably falls short.

2. Hoffman to Chicago looks obvious, and a move I too have looked at. The question here is whether the Hawks feel they get a player they can flip at the TDL for a decent asset. Although I say yes, I wonder if at $2.25 million (knowing retention is totally happening) the Hawks do better than a 3rd or if they do better being a broker.

They have to make basement, so it makes sense, more the retention issue, which maybe the Habs take on knowing they are moving much else off the roster using a retention spot.

I know this seems counter productive for the Hawks, buy they have the option of a series on 1 year deals to get them to floor, so greasing a wheel maybe a good idea.
    Aussie_Blackhawk liked this.
    Apr. 30, 2023 at 11:41 a.m.
    Stars
    Ok, thanks for telling me your opinion.

I do think they should give him some time in the minors tho, it will help him improve his game.

He isn't ready for the NHL level yet
    Apr. 30, 2023 at 11:46 a.m.
    This is what I love about Hockey fans. On one hand you have Dubois a perennial 60-65 point player up to this point that every habs fan thinks is worth next to nothing. Yet when Suzuki comes up he's oh so much better and worth oh so much more as a smaller perennial 60-65 point player.

In any event if it's just picks and prospects coming back. This years 5th overall, Florida's 17th overall and Justin Barron.

I honestly don't see Dubois endeding up in Montreal though, if the fan base is a reflection of how much the organizantion would value him. He's yet to say he doesn't want to play in winnipeg, also he never said he'd only play in Montreal should listen to his end of season comments "There's lots of fake stuff thrown out there in the news".

If he does want to be moved if the habs go about nickle and diming Chevy for the price and Dubois for the contract, a team like the Panthers will swoop in and offer him more money and less taxes.
    kdawg32086 liked this.
    Apr. 30, 2023 at 11:52 a.m.
    LongtimeLeafsufferer
    Don't expect second line forward PLD to be that much of a difference maker.
    Apr. 30, 2023 at 11:57 a.m.
    Quoting: MarkWinnipeg
    This is what I love about Hockey fans. On one hand you have Dubois a perennial 60-65 point player up to this point that every habs fan thinks is worth next to nothing. Yet when Suzuki comes up he's oh so much better and worth oh so much more as a smaller perennial 60-65 point player.

In any event if it's just picks and prospects coming back. This years 5th overall, Florida's 17th overall and Justin Barron.

I honestly don't see Dubois endeding up in Montreal though, if the fan base is a reflection of how much the organizantion would value him. He's yet to say he doesn't want to play in winnipeg, also he never said he'd only play in Montreal should listen to his end of season comments "There's lots of fake stuff thrown out there in the news".

If he does want to be moved if the habs go about nickle and diming Chevy for the price and Dubois for the contract, a team like the Panthers will swoop in and offer him more money and less taxes.

How am I saying that PLD is worth next to nothing? It's a 1st round pick for an unsigned player, a player who (obviously everyone is assuming) doesn't want to sign in WPG. MTL can easily just wait until next year if the price continues to be too insane. It also literally says "add whatever prospect to get it done"... I'm not personally a big prospect guy and don't have a huge gauge on who is good, and who isn't. I'm not saying the prospect is optional at all, it should be added. I just don't know who is good enough to make the deal happen, and who WPG would want.

Two first round picks and a prospect for an unsigned player is never going to happen. MTL would be really stupid to do that. I'd wait one more year if that was the true cost.

PS: you try to insult my hockey IQ, then say that the Panthers will offer him more money??? With what cap space? Get a clue.
    Apr. 30, 2023 at 12:12 p.m.
    Quoting: mvp13
    How am I saying that PLD is worth next to nothing? It's a 1st round pick for an unsigned player, a player who (obviously everyone is assuming) doesn't want to sign in WPG. MTL can easily just wait until next year if the price continues to be too insane. It also literally says "add whatever prospect to get it done"... I'm not personally a big prospect guy and don't have a huge gauge on who is good, and who isn't. I'm not saying the prospect is optional at all, it should be added. I just don't know who is good enough to make the deal happen, and who WPG would want.

Two first round picks and a prospect for an unsigned player is never going to happen. MTL would be really stupid to do that. I'd wait one more year if that was the true cost.

PS: you try to insult my hockey IQ, then say that the Panthers will offer him more money??? With what cap space? Get a clue.

I said a team like the panthers, I didn't say only the panthers would do that. Just like his agent saying he might want to play in Montreal one day doesn't mean that's the only place he's willing to play. If your a hockey fan and not just a habs fan, take off your habs blinders and look around the rest of the league. There are 30 other teams that would like to have Dubois if Winnipeg is out of the running.
    Apr. 30, 2023 at 12:19 p.m.
    What's the purpose of paying to acquire Logan Stanley ?
    With Matheson, Guhle, Harris, Xhekaj (not even counting Struble, Beaudin and eventually Hutson and Engstrom), we already have more LHD than we can afford to play.
    Apr. 30, 2023 at 12:34 p.m.

Context diminishes Dubois' value when compared to Suzuki. It has nothing to do with their [very different set of] skills.

You're dreaming buddy. Horvat got Vancouver Anthony Beauvillier, Aatu Raty and a conditionnal 1st (Top-12 protected). And that's in a season where Horvat was producing at more than a point per game, and with the Isles hopeful they could extend Horvat (which they did less than a week later). Dubois isn't even gonna get you that...not from the Habs, not from anyone.

How is $8.0m (offered in this ACGM) nickle and diming Dubois for the contract ?

I said a team like the panthers, I didn't say only the panthers would do that. Just like his agent saying he might want to play in Montreal one day doesn't mean that's the only place he's willing to play. If your a hockey fan and not just a habs fan, take off your habs blinders and look around the rest of the league. There are 30 other teams that would like to have Dubois if Winnipeg is out of the running.

Most teams that could be interested in acquiring Dubois as a one-year rental either don't have a 1st round pick in 2023 (because they've traded it already) or are so tight against the cap that it would prevent them to acquire Dubois before the deadline, where it'll be easier for them to absorb his contract. Rebuilding team that do have the draft assets to make a deal won't be sacrificing it for one year of Dubois. So you're probably looking at a trade market of 2-3 teams other than the Habs, this summer.
    Apr. 30, 2023 at 12:42 p.m.

You said the Panthers, then mentioned Florida's low taxes, but nice try...

I'm sure all 31 other teams are also interested in Connor McDavid, but unfortunately there is a thing called a salary cap, and looming RFA status, where PLD is in near complete control of where he would like to play long term. The fact that WPG and PLD didn't secure a long term deal, and instead he only signed his qualifying offer last offseason, certainly dictates that there are issues between the two. I'm not going by tabloids or Twitter, I'm going by that fact.
    Apr. 30, 2023 at 12:47 p.m.
    Quoting: ohmyjlord
    What's the purpose of paying to acquire Logan Stanley ?
    With Matheson, Guhle, Harris, Xhekaj (not even counting Struble, Beaudin and eventually Hutson and Engstrom), we already have more LHD than we can afford to play.

In this case, I don't really think that MTL would be spending anything to get him, and I consider him a "future considerations" part of this deal. Stanley has been requesting a trade out of WPG the last two years and gets no playing time. He has virtually no value to them, plus he's also unsigned. I thought MTL could like the security in getting a more "veteran" guy for "free" just in case the season goes well and they need some better defense, and again, if Edmundson can't go all year

He could also be completely left out if MTL is confident in their D. I'm just not, personally haha... of course, that doesn't matter. I don't think Stanley is gonna win the Norris or anything, but having 3 or 4 ELC defensemen on the roster is normally a recipe for complete disaster
    Apr. 30, 2023 at 1:09 p.m.
    Well I'll save the thread, if I'm wrong and Dubois nets so little in a trade to Montreal that is, if he doesn't end somewhere else and all he gets is 8 million * 8. As a Jets Fan I'd be comfortable going as high as 9.5-10.5 as he's a Unicorn in the way he's big, physical, gets under the other teams skin alla Marchand or Tkachuk and he also plays center. But maybe I'm wrong and if so I'll be sure to post an appology and eat some crow on this thread 😂😂😂.
    Apr. 30, 2023 at 1:14 p.m.
    Quoting: mvp13
    You said the Panthers, then mentioned Florida's low taxes, but nice try...

I'm sure all 31 other teams are also interested in Connor McDavid, but unfortunately there is a thing called a salary cap, and looming RFA status, where PLD is in near complete control of where he would like to play long term. The fact that WPG and PLD didn't secure a long term deal, and instead he only signed his qualifying offer last offseason, certainly dictates that there are issues between the two. I'm not going by tabloids or Twitter, I'm going by that fact.

Literally ever team in the league has less income tax ramifications then Montreal. Florida, Tamps, Seattle, Vegas, Dallas and Nashville all have 0% state taxes.

"a team like the panthers" is what I said scroll up my friend.
    May 1, 2023 at 4:41 a.m.
    Quoting: swinny
    I don't think he sucks, but having him play in Laval for the year would be more beneficial imo..... the Habs are exactly going places next year. Give him a chance to play major minutes, get used to the North American game and gain confidence.

Now for more:

With some more than minor changes coming in Winnipeg, moving on PDL is in the wheelhouse. But......

1. The Habs have zero use for Stanley.... far too deep on the blueline imo. I get you have concerns, but the skill and youth the Habs have in the backend need to play to gain experience and get better.

Further, if Winnipeg is going to move PDL, I think you are adding Beck at the very least. A straight up first that is mid pack probably falls short.

2. Hoffman to Chicago looks obvious, and a move I too have looked at. The question here is whether the Hawks feel they get a player they can flip at the TDL for a decent asset. Although I say yes, I wonder if at $2.25 million (knowing retention is totally happening) the Hawks do better than a 3rd or if they do better being a broker.

They have to make basement, so it makes sense, more the retention issue, which maybe the Habs take on knowing they are moving much else off the roster using a retention spot.

I know this seems counter productive for the Hawks, buy they have the option of a series on 1 year deals to get them to floor, so greasing a wheel maybe a good idea.

Indeed, the wheel needs to be greased for CHI to take on Hoffman. We will have a lot of teams wanting us to take salary off their hands so I would assume the price won't be something teams will want to be paying so easily and will look to find alternative solutions.

Also Gurianov doesn't move the wheel and even possibly doesn't get tendered meaning if we want to try him out, we can sign him as a FA.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll