23-24 NYR 1 MIL CAP INCREASE - REAL BIG SHAKEUP

Created by: jpigeon2000
Team: 2023-24 New York Rangers
Initial Creation Date: May 5, 2023
Published: May 10, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
NOTES ON SOME OF THE MOVES
Goodrow trade: doesn't necessarily have to be DET (picked them due to Yzerman having him in TB - could be any team that has space and a need for this type of player to make playoffs (i.e. BUF) AMENDED TRADE: based on great feedback, changed the trade from NYR getting a mid round pick to the trade listed below.
Trouba buyout: I'll start by saying there is less than a 1% chance of this happening but if you really want to shake things up this would be the way to go. the bigger portions of the buyout will occur in years where the cap is projected to go up at least 3-4 mil a year (makes it a wash).
Don't mind re-signing Kane if it is a real team friendly deal for no more than 2 mil a year

All the moves won't leave alot of cap room to start. The team will have 2 waiver exempt players that should go through the send down/recall paperwork shuffle to gain cap space during periods of extended days off - just like every team does every year.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$2,100,000
2$975,000
2$1,000,000
2$925,000
2$950,000
3$4,000,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$800,000
2$1,250,000
3$2,750,000
1$2,000,000
3$3,000,000
1$975,000
3$2,250,000
1$775,000
1$775,000
1$775,000
1$1,000,000
Trades
NYR
    FUTURE CONSIDERATIONS OR 2025 7TH ROUND PICK
    DET
    1. Goodrow, Barclay
    2. 2024 4th round pick (NYR)
    Buyouts
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the WPG
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the DAL
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the MIN
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the NYR
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    23$83,500,000$83,233,471$610,892$482,500$266,529
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the New York Rangers
    $11,642,857$11,642,857
    LW
    NMC
    UFA - 3
    $8,500,000$8,500,000
    C
    NMC
    UFA - 7
    $2,000,000$2,000,000
    RW
    UFA - 1
    $2,100,000$2,100,000
    LW, RW
    RFA - 2
    $4,437,500$4,437,500
    C, LW
    UFA - 4
    $2,100,000$2,100,000
    RW
    RFA - 1
    $6,500,000$6,500,000
    LW
    NMC
    UFA - 4
    $5,625,000$5,625,000
    C, RW
    NMC
    UFA - 6
    $2,750,000$2,750,000
    RW
    UFA - 2
    $828,333$828,333 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
    LW
    RFA - 2
    $1,250,000$1,250,000
    C, RW
    UFA - 2
    $800,000$800,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 2
    $762,500$762,500
    C
    UFA - 1
    $975,000$975,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $3,000,000$3,000,000
    LD
    RFA - 1
    $9,500,000$9,500,000
    RD
    UFA - 6
    $5,666,667$5,666,667
    G
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $4,000,000$4,000,000
    LD
    RFA - 2
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
    RD
    RFA - 1
    $1,000,000$1,000,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    $2,250,000$2,250,000
    LD
    UFA - 3
    $3,000,000$3,000,000
    RD
    UFA - 7
    $787,500$787,500
    LD
    UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    May 10, 2023 at 4:58 a.m.
    .Just what Detroit needs another left handed bottom 6 forward.
    May 10, 2023 at 5:29 a.m.
    Banned
    Detroit will take trouba instead. Apply that 4th round pick to Trouba. As long as you plan to eat salary, apply the buyout cost to retention, and shorten the cap hit time. Detroit will gladly give a 4th for Trouba at 5.8 million.
    aedoran liked this.
    May 10, 2023 at 6:12 a.m.
    Pop Pop
    Quoting: tonyhzs
    Detroit will take trouba instead. Apply that 4th round pick to Trouba. As long as you plan to eat salary, apply the buyout cost to retention, and shorten the cap hit time. Detroit will gladly give a 4th for Trouba at 5.8 million.

That's crazy, dudes overpaid a little bit he isn't worthless
    aedoran and Fox_Czar_Cup liked this.
    May 10, 2023 at 7:17 a.m.
    LongtimeLeafsufferer
    IMO, the Eastern Conference team who are all competitors for the eight playoffs, shouldn't be helping the Rangers, Bruins, Tampa,, Florida even the Sens will their cap situation. Really hold their feet too the fire if any trade is one sided enough to take. These teams and big cap players have NTCs or M NTCs so the places they would be willing to be traded to is very limited.
    aedoran liked this.
    May 10, 2023 at 7:24 a.m.
    Seiders on the Storm
    I'd take Goodrow in a package deal if the Rags lessen the price for Trouba. But if we're taking the BG contract the Rags would have to retain 2 mil on Trouba.
    aedoran liked this.
    May 10, 2023 at 9:20 a.m.
    Quoting: palhal
    IMO, the Eastern Conference team who are all competitors for the eight playoffs, shouldn't be helping the Rangers, Bruins, Tampa,, Florida even the Sens will their cap situation. Really hold their feet too the fire if any trade is one sided enough to take. These teams and big cap players have NTCs or M NTCs so the places they would be willing to be traded to is very limited.

I agree but I also think if Detroit has a shot at DeBrincat or Trouba at a decent price they have to at least consider it. With Lindstrom going back to Sweden that leaves Seider as Detroit's only RHD. They do have a couple of RHDs but they are player that can fill in if needed but you really don't want them in there for more than about 5 games. With Varna and Bertuzzi gone the Wings have one player that can consistently put up 30 goals a season. They have a couple players that might capable of putting up 30 goals but they aren't 30 g0al scorers until they do. it.
    May 10, 2023 at 9:26 a.m.
    Quoting: MoreHitzSeider
    I'd take Goodrow in a package deal if the Rags lessen the price for Trouba. But if we're taking the BG contract the Rags would have to retain 2 mil on Trouba.

That Goodrow deal is a hard one to swallow with 4 more years. Along with the retention on Trouba I would like a bit more or maybe a bit of retention on Goodrow to make him easier for us to move in the future.
    May 10, 2023 at 9:36 a.m.
    Buffbry
    Rangers add laf or Schneider to wings deal
    May 10, 2023 at 2:20 p.m.
    Quoting: aedoran
    .Just what Detroit needs another left handed bottom 6 forward.

As stated, Goodrow to DET was just a suggestion. I only picked DET to avoid the typical "send everyone to ANA or AZ". with that said, his 15 team no trade could possibly contain DET and a host of the other teams I would have considered (BUF for example of team close to playoffs, CHI as a team who needs salary to get to cap floor).
    aedoran liked this.
    May 10, 2023 at 2:34 p.m.
    Quoting: tonyhzs

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll keep that note and setup version 2 of the team with Trouba still on it and a version 3 with a Trouba trade.

If the Trouba buyout is off the table and we are looking at trade option only, I don't think NYR would perform a salary retention trade with an extremely modest return due to optics - easier pill to swallow when you can say "we signed multiple players with the money saved from the buyout". Like I stated, less than 1% chance a buyout would be performed - I would prob say a very slim chance of a trade as well due to his wife and her job.
    May 10, 2023 at 2:39 p.m.
    Quoting: Jfstompers
    That's crazy, dudes overpaid a little bit he isn't worthless

I agree he is not worthless and how overpaid he is depends on how you are determining "overpayment" - is someone just looking solely at offensive stats, off & def stats, analytics only, are you including the unmeasurable intangibles, etc. Honestly both a buyout or a trade are pipe dreams but if 1 were to happen the buyout would be the most likely - easiest to do and you know exactly what you are initially going to get (cap space). Then have to worry about utilizing that space correctly.
    May 10, 2023 at 2:48 p.m.

I am assuming your comment is based off of tonyhzs' comment - suggesting that a deal with DET should be Goodrow and Trouba (with retention) for just a mid round draft pick. I cannot see happening.
    If the Rangers were going to move on from both (I still feel Goodrow will not be on the team next year - I like the intangibles and some of the other unmeasurable items he brings to a team but the offense & defense he brings can be handled by a more cost-effective player) it would be separate transactions with the most likely being Goodrow traded and Trouba bought out. I can see a scenario with both traded but separate deals - trouba deal probably bringing back a player with a big (but not as big as Trouba's) contract (a "we'll trade you our contract albatross that fits a need on your team for your albatross that fits a need on our team" kind of deal)
    May 10, 2023 at 2:57 p.m.
    Quoting: aedoran
    I agree but I also think if Detroit has a shot at DeBrincat or Trouba at a decent price they have to at least consider it. With Lindstrom going back to Sweden that leaves Seider as Detroit's only RHD. They do have a couple of RHDs but they are player that can fill in if needed but you really don't want them in there for more than about 5 games. With Varna and Bertuzzi gone the Wings have one player that can consistently put up 30 goals a season. They have a couple players that might capable of putting up 30 goals but they aren't 30 g0al scorers until they do. it.

Great post. In this scenario, DET would want a Trouba buyout as the only thing it would cost is money - and not much since the buyout is already paying Trouba. Not a perfect example but use Rangers buyout of Shattenkirk as an example - allowed Tampa to sign him to a 1 yr @ 1.75m deal. Only risk is would Trouba want to go to DET if on the open market - being from Michigan, close with Copp, etc would provide an edge. Then DET could have trade resources to target Debrincat.
    aedoran liked this.
    May 10, 2023 at 3:01 p.m.
    Quoting: Lancebmx
    That Goodrow deal is a hard one to swallow with 4 more years. Along with the retention on Trouba I would like a bit more or maybe a bit of retention on Goodrow to make him easier for us to move in the future.

Please see the reply to MoreHitsSeider's post. To add an additional response to your post, if palhal states teams should hold "feet to the flames" to not help teams like the Rangers with their cap challenges, the opposite is true as well - why would cap challenged teams bend over backwards to give on the cusp teams sweetheart deals that could help that team get past them.
    May 10, 2023 at 3:16 p.m.
    Seiders on the Storm
    Quoting: jpigeon2000
    I am assuming your comment is based off of tonyhzs' comment - suggesting that a deal with DET should be Goodrow and Trouba (with retention) for just a mid round draft pick. I cannot see happening.
    If the Rangers were going to move on from both (I still feel Goodrow will not be on the team next year - I like the intangibles and some of the other unmeasurable items he brings to a team but the offense & defense he brings can be handled by a more cost-effective player) it would be separate transactions with the most likely being Goodrow traded and Trouba bought out. I can see a scenario with both traded but separate deals - trouba deal probably bringing back a player with a big (but not as big as Trouba's) contract (a "we'll trade you our contract albatross that fits a need on your team for your albatross that fits a need on our team" kind of deal)

I don't need both players. But Trouba would be more valuable to the Red Wings than Goodrow would be. Whether you want to admit it or not 2 years of Trouba at 8 mil AAV lowers his trade value. Not many teams can take that on. Detroit can.
    jpigeon2000 liked this.
    May 10, 2023 at 3:18 p.m.
    Quoting: buffbry
    Rangers add laf or Schneider to wings deal

LOL - that's hilarious.

On a separate note, I could see LAF being traded. Never expected him to be a "generational talent" but a very solid player if put in the right situation/scenario with emphasis placed on development - particularly his skating. He honestly was drafted into the wrong scenario. Most top picks are drafted into teams that put them almost immediately into top 6 roles so they can grow. With the Rangers he was not going to get top 6 with Panarin and Kreider there. Second issue I had was messing around with him and putting him on RW. IF you wanted a RW draft a RW - stop trying to fit square pegs into round holes. The Rangers probably would have been better off trading the #1 overall pick and either moving down and targeting a RW or C or getting established young cost-controlled players with high upside.
    May 10, 2023 at 3:24 p.m.
    I don't need both players. But Trouba would be more valuable to the Red Wings than Goodrow would be.

If NYR traded Trouba to DET with salary retention I could see the deal expanding a bit - either a higher pick (based on how much is retained) or a mid round pick with a decent prospect.

Could you see DET re-signing Bertuzzi. Outside of going for DeBrincat, what FAs do you think would be good fits for DET.
    May 10, 2023 at 3:26 p.m.
    everyone - great feedback and back n forth dialogue. Thank you.
    May 10, 2023 at 3:27 p.m.
    Buffbry
    LOL - that's hilarious.

On a separate note, I could see LAF being traded. Never expected him to be a "generational talent" but a very solid player if put in the right situation/scenario with emphasis placed on development - particularly his skating. He honestly was drafted into the wrong scenario. Most top picks are drafted into teams that put them almost immediately into top 6 roles so they can grow. With the Rangers he was not going to get top 6 with Panarin and Kreider there. Second issue I had was messing around with him and putting him on RW. IF you wanted a RW draft a RW - stop trying to fit square pegs into round holes. The Rangers probably would have been better off trading the #1 overall pick and either moving down and targeting a RW or C or getting established young cost-controlled players with high upside.

It's as hilarious thinking that someone will take Goodrow off your hands without you having to give something up to give the team some incentive to take his awful long contract.

Laf should get traded he's not really working out there and rags need someone now who will step up and help
    May 10, 2023 at 3:34 p.m.
    Please see the reply to MoreHitsSeider's post. To add an additional response to your post, if palhal states teams should hold "feet to the flames" to not help teams like the Rangers with their cap challenges, the opposite is true as well - why would cap challenged teams bend over backwards to give on the cusp teams sweetheart deals that could help that team get past them.

Are you saying that New York would be bending over backwards to give Detroit a "sweetheart" deal here? My idea of a trade involving both to Detroit would be Trouba (2M retained) and Goodrow (641,667) retained for either Future Considerations or Mastrosimone signing rights. Trouba at 6M is a good deal for us and Goodrow at 3M is still an overpaid 4th line winger with 4 years of term. One of the biggest issues to get around is the trade clauses, Trouba with his full NMC and Goodrow with 15 team no trade list. Assuming they both accept a trade to Detroit in this scenario. Using retention instead of buyouts doesn't save them more next season, actually it's about 700K worse next season, it saves them 1.5M the following season and then like 2.7M the year after and so on. So the long term effects of buyouts would probably hurt the franchise more than the retention. Not to mention that you are gaining 9M in cap space which is the whole idea of this scenario. So is Detroit getting a sweetheart deal or is New York? Both teams benefit from this which is the idea of making trades.
    jpigeon2000 liked this.
    May 10, 2023 at 4:41 p.m.
    Quoting: buffbry
    It's as hilarious thinking that someone will take Goodrow off your hands without you having to give something up to give the team some incentive to take his awful long contract.

Laf should get traded he's not really working out there and rags need someone now who will step up and help

I see the error in my ways - amended the Goodrow trade. That should be acceptable for DET (or any team). I used the Marc Staal trade as a base

I agree LAF probably needs to go for help on the right side. Never expected him to be a generational talent but if he blows up somewhere else then so be it. Branch Rickey philosophy - better to move on 1 year early than 1 year too late.
    buffbry liked this.
    May 10, 2023 at 5:01 p.m.
    Quoting: Lancebmx
    Are you saying that New York would be bending over backwards to give Detroit a "sweetheart" deal here? My idea of a trade involving both to Detroit would be Trouba (2M retained) and Goodrow (641,667) retained for either Future Considerations or Mastrosimone signing rights. Trouba at 6M is a good deal for us and Goodrow at 3M is still an overpaid 4th line winger with 4 years of term. One of the biggest issues to get around is the trade clauses, Trouba with his full NMC and Goodrow with 15 team no trade list. Assuming they both accept a trade to Detroit in this scenario. Using retention instead of buyouts doesn't save them more next season, actually it's about 700K worse next season, it saves them 1.5M the following season and then like 2.7M the year after and so on. So the long term effects of buyouts would probably hurt the franchise more than the retention. Not to mention that you are gaining 9M in cap space which is the whole idea of this scenario. So is Detroit getting a sweetheart deal or is New York? Both teams benefit from this which is the idea of making trades.

I amended the Goodrow trade which should work.

If the Rangers were to trade both players it will be in separate trades. Please see other replies for details

In terms of the exercise, I accomplished 9.5 mil in savings via the trade and the buyout. The buyout won't hurt nearly as much as previous buyouts the Rangers have performed. The biggest hits are in the seasons where the cap is projected to increase by a minimum of 3-4 mil a year. Escrow will definitely be paid off, revenue projections for this season were much better than anticipated, and even with marginal revenue growth over the next few years the 2.6 mil buyout hit the last few years will have little impact. Contracts that look bad today will age better as the cap increases (still overpays but not as big of an overpay).
    May 10, 2023 at 5:08 p.m.
    Buffbry
    I see the error in my ways - amended the Goodrow trade. That should be acceptable for DET (or any team). I used the Marc Staal trade as a base

I agree LAF probably needs to go for help on the right side. Never expected him to be a generational talent but if he blows up somewhere else then so be it. Branch Rickey philosophy - better to move on 1 year early than 1 year too late.

42 is excellent
    jpigeon2000 liked this.
    May 10, 2023 at 5:19 p.m.
    Great post. In this scenario, DET would want a Trouba buyout as the only thing it would cost is money - and not much since the buyout is already paying Trouba. Not a perfect example but use Rangers buyout of Shattenkirk as an example - allowed Tampa to sign him to a 1 yr 1.75m deal. Only risk is would Trouba want to go to DET if on the open market - being from Michigan, close with Copp, etc would provide an edge. Then DET could have trade resources to target Debrincat.

If his wife or fiancé is done with her residency I think he would waive for Detroit. I don't see Detroit buying him out, we need a couple of good RHDs. With Yzerman wanting to add grit and be harder to play against and Trouba would definitely help with that. I do think Yzerman goes after DeBrincat if the rumors are true. If he is traded it will be before the draft.
    May 10, 2023 at 6:05 p.m.
    I amended the Goodrow trade which should work.

If the Rangers were to trade both players it will be in separate trades. Please see other replies for details

In terms of the exercise, I accomplished 9.5 mil in savings via the trade and the buyout. The buyout won't hurt nearly as much as previous buyouts the Rangers have performed. The biggest hits are in the seasons where the cap is projected to increase by a minimum of 3-4 mil a year. Escrow will definitely be paid off, revenue projections for this season were much better than anticipated, and even with marginal revenue growth over the next few years the 2.6 mil buyout hit the last few years will have little impact. Contracts that look bad today will age better as the cap increases (still overpays but not as big of an overpay).

See personally I wouldn't do that Goodrow trade. Just not really worth it for Detroit to get stuck in that contract for 4 more years. A fourth round pick is basically nothing. Just helping the Rangers far more than he is worth to us.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll