SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Toronto Maple Leafs 2023 2024 Offseason Discussion - Now What?

May 16, 2023 at 2:35 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Saskleaf
Lol. But for the record I am not ok with running it back. This is 7 straight years of failure. It would be insane to run back the same core after they’ve proven time and time again they cannot win when it matters most.

To me its tricky this year as they got the cap space to add some legit threats. Like they could do what SEA did when they added Burakovsky and Bjorkstrand (2 5-6mill wingers)

Like imagine the big 4 with Konecney and Bertuzzi also on the team. U cant tell me thats not a legit threat. As even if Matthews aint scoring u got Konecney, Bertuzzi, Nylander and the others to worry about. And if u go up against FLA again good look Bennett doing that **** with Konecney or Bertuzzi sitting there lul.

Now im not necessarily saying keep everyone but if no good deal comes along might have to as u dont want to pull another Kadri (Make a trade and it just ends up being awful where u get 2 depth guys cool oh wait they ****ing suck)
May 16, 2023 at 2:44 p.m.
Saskoiler for now
Quoting: Juice
It's just the one guy we'd like to move is the one we can't. Matthews shouldn't be an option otherwise we're back to the years when we try and sign Tim Connolly to be a big #1 C. Marner just does too much for us at such a high level that we wouldn't get value back that can replace it.

If you trade Nylander for another top 6 RW, I can get behind that...I don't need it...but I can accept the reality they may look to switch things up a bit..

At this point I don’t care who goes, someone has to. At a min one of them, but maybe more.
May 16, 2023 at 2:45 p.m.
Saskoiler for now
Quoting: aadoyle
To me its tricky this year as they got the cap space to add some legit threats. Like they could do what SEA did when they added Burakovsky and Bjorkstrand (2 5-6mill wingers)

Like imagine the big 4 with Konecney and Bertuzzi also on the team. U cant tell me thats not a legit threat. As even if Matthews aint scoring u got Konecney, Bertuzzi, Nylander and the others to worry about. And if u go up against FLA again good look Bennett doing that **** with Konecney or Bertuzzi sitting there lul.

Now im not necessarily saying keep everyone but if no good deal comes along might have to as u dont want to pull another Kadri (Make a trade and it just ends up being awful where u get 2 depth guys cool oh wait they ****ing suck)

How in the world are they getting the cap space to sign 2 5-6 mil wingers lol?
May 16, 2023 at 2:46 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited May 16, 2023 at 2:55 p.m.
How in the world are they getting the cap space to sign 2 5-6 mil wingers lol?

We already have it. But can get more if Murray decides the injuries be to much or we Mrazek him

Leafs rn have almost 17mill u move Murray or he sits on LTIR thats 20mill.

The Dcore has its 6 all thats needed is forwards

Think of the blanks like this

?-Matthews-Marner
Jarnkrok-JT-Nylander
Knies-?-?
Lafferty-?-?

Rielly-Brodie
McCabe-Liligren
Gio-Timmins

Woll/Samsonov

7lp82p.jpg

22 man team 300k in cap left
May 16, 2023 at 2:52 p.m.
At this point I don’t care who goes, someone has to. At a min one of them, but maybe more.

I guess if you're hoping for more regular season entertainment by wondering if we'll make the playoffs...this could be a viable strategy of just going nuclear
May 16, 2023 at 2:55 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
It is cray to me that fans think this team will fall off a cliff if they trade Marner. Don't get it
Saskleaf liked this.
May 16, 2023 at 3:08 p.m.
Quoting: MatthewsFan
It is cray to me that fans think this team will fall off a cliff if they trade Marner. Don't get it

to each their own...it's crazy to me to think that fans think trading marner will improve the team
MatthewsFan and oneX liked this.
May 16, 2023 at 3:12 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
to each their own...it's crazy to me to think that fans think trading marner will improve the team

100 percent to each their own.

How anyone can read this and be like, ya this is the guy to trade to shake things up, is um certainly a take.

“ In the last four playoff runs, Nylander recorded 29 points in 30 games. Eight are power-play points, and despite being dropped off the top unit this year, he recorded four power-play points and scored crucial goals. Last season, he tallied seven points between Games 4 and 6. His star teammates seem to dry up as a series wears on, but Nylander heats up.

Toronto had a chance to make the series 2-1 Panthers in Game 3, and Nylander was the only core forward to record a point. In Game 5 with the season on the line, it was Nylander’s tying goal that gave Toronto life.”

“ There is something innate to both Nylander and Rielly that allows them to perform in the hockey pressure cooker that is Toronto. Not every player can do it.”

“ Marner tallied two points in the final four games against Tampa Bay last year. He tallied three in Games 4 to 6 this year against the Lightning but none in Games 1, 3 and 5 against Florida.”
Juice liked this.
May 16, 2023 at 3:15 p.m.
Saskoiler for now
Edited May 16, 2023 at 4:27 p.m.
I guess if you're hoping for more regular season entertainment by wondering if we'll make the playoffs...this could be a viable strategy of just going nuclear

I’d rather only make the playoffs every other year or so and actually have exciting runs when we do, then consistently make the playoffs and suck while we’re in them.
MatthewsFan liked this.
May 16, 2023 at 3:16 p.m.
Saskoiler for now
We already have it. But can get more if Murray decides the injuries be to much or we Mrazek him

Leafs rn have almost 17mill u move Murray or he sits on LTIR thats 20mill.

The Dcore has its 6 all thats needed is forwards

Think of the blanks like this

?-Matthews-Marner
Jarnkrok-JT-Nylander
Knies-?-?
Lafferty-?-?

Rielly-Brodie
McCabe-Liligren
Gio-Timmins

Woll/Samsonov

7lp82p.jpg

22 man team 300k in cap left

Are you sure? That doesn’t seem right to me…
May 16, 2023 at 3:18 p.m.
Amirov Forever

I think in 9/10 trades, the team gets worse when we trafe Mitch. It would take a kings Ransome for the Leafs to get better after trading Mitch. There are certainly packages that could be put together to entice the Leafs, but because of where the cap ceiling currently is, it's going to be hard to get optimal value back.

That being said, I do agree with you. It is possible to trade Mitch and come out the better team, but his huge AAV limits the places he can go. How many competitive teams can facilitate that much money without staking their future? Im open to trading Mitch if the Leafs become better as a result (see DeRozen for Leonard), but finding that package is going to be insanely tough. It does annoy me when people point to the Leafs record with vs. Without Mitch because it doesn't tell us anything. If we trade Mitch, pieces are coming back to fill the holes.

While I'd rather not trade Mitch, if the right package comes along then sign me up. I am a bigger Leafs fan than I am a Marner fan, so while it would be extremely tough to see him go, we have to do what we have to do
MatthewsFan liked this.
May 16, 2023 at 3:26 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Are you sure? That doesn’t seem right to me…

I checked it twice its correct

Basically 2 5.5mill wings could happen and team can carry 22 players. Now it does mean a slight downgrade at 3c but u bring in Konecney and Bertuzzi who cares
Saskleaf liked this.
May 16, 2023 at 3:29 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Nathaniel
I think in 9/10 trades, the team gets worse when we trafe Mitch. It would take a kings Ransome for the Leafs to get better after trading Mitch. There are certainly packages that could be put together to entice the Leafs, but because of where the cap ceiling currently is, it's going to be hard to get optimal value back.

That being said, I do agree with you. It is possible to trade Mitch and come out the better team, but his huge AAV limits the places he can go. How many competitive teams can facilitate that much money without staking their future? Im open to trading Mitch if the Leafs become better as a result (see DeRozen for Leonard), but finding that package is going to be insanely tough. It does annoy me when people point to the Leafs record with vs. Without Mitch because it doesn't tell us anything. If we trade Mitch, pieces are coming back to fill the holes.

While I'd rather not trade Mitch, if the right package comes along then sign me up. I am a bigger Leafs fan than I am a Marner fan, so while it would be extremely tough to see him go, we have to do what we have to do

To me I just dont see a scenerio where Leafs win a Marner trade

It will be like converting the Canadian dollar to American u lose value

Now a team could come out of no where and surprise me but I just feel u do that trade it ends up being another Kadri trade

Oh look we got these 2 guys it should be good. Few months later man they ****ing suck. Remember all the hype surrounding Kerfoot and Barrie that died down fast

Nylander meanwhile u can package that guy off and potentially get more value. Kind of like what the Raps did when they traded DeRozen + Poetl for Kawhii

U package Nylander and Liligren u could bring someone in something pretty sweet.
May 16, 2023 at 3:31 p.m.
Amirov Forever

Basically 2 5.5mill wings could happen and team can carry 22 players. Now it does mean a slight downgrade at 3c but u bring in Konecney and Bertuzzi who cares

Geekie at 3C would be awesome, although I doubt Seattle is going to move him. Also, how does the long term outlook of that team look? Can we resign both AM34 and WN88?
May 16, 2023 at 3:33 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Geekie at 3C would be awesome, although I doubt Seattle is going to move him. Also, how does the long term outlook of that team look? Can we resign both AM34 and WN88?

SEA has so many guys and with the emergence of Kartye and with others like Wright

I think they gonna move on

As next year this is probs their team

Kartye-Beniers-Eberle
Schwartz-McCann-Burakovsky
Tolvanen-Gourde- Bjorkstrang
Sprong-Wennberg-Tanev
May 16, 2023 at 3:35 p.m.
Amirov Forever
To me I just dont see a scenerio where Leafs win a Marner trade

It will be like converting the Canadian dollar to American u lose value

Now a team could come out of no where and surprise me but I just feel u do that trade it ends up being another Kadri trade

Oh look we got these 2 guys it should be good. Few months later man they ****ing suck. Remember all the hype surrounding Kerfoot and Barrie that died down fast

Nylander meanwhile u can package that guy off and potentially get more value. Kind of like what the Raps did when they traded DeRozen + Poetl for Kawhii

U package Nylander and Liligren u could bring someone in something pretty sweet.

The same logic you applied to the Marner trade can also be said about the Nylander trade. Obviously there is the potential for the trade to blow up in your face. That's why if we do shakeup the core, it's not going to be a lateral move. When the Raps got Kawhi, it was pretty well established that he was one of the league's best. It really wasn't much of a gamble. The Kadri trade is a prime example of what not to do when trading a core player. You don't move a guy for players that could be good, you trade them for players that are good. Nylander is also a pending UFA and a pretty perfect fit on the Leafs. Not sure he's the guy to oust. There's no easy way to move the core. We aren't going to make it a priority to move one of the core guys this offseason, but if someone wants to cough up a nice offer, then I don't see the Leafs declining
May 16, 2023 at 3:38 p.m.
Amirov Forever
I feel like a lot of people (including myself) point to Kawhi Leonard as the kind of trade the Leafs could make, but what if it turns out that it's more of a Teoscar Hernandez trade? If the Leafs could make a Varsho-like and Hernandez-like trade this offseason, that could be a success.

Varsho comp. - Prospects and picks to PHI for Konecny and Cates
Hernandez comp. - Probably revolves around Nylander to CGY for Dube / Mangipane + Picks + Cap
MatthewsFan and Saskleaf liked this.
May 16, 2023 at 3:38 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
The same logic you applied to the Marner trade can also be said about the Nylander trade. Obviously there is the potential for the trade to blow up in your face. That's why if we do shakeup the core, it's not going to be a lateral move. When the Raps got Kawhi, it was pretty well established that he was one of the league's best. It really wasn't much of a gamble. The Kadri trade is a prime example of what not to do when trading a core player. You don't move a guy for players that could be good, you trade them for players that are good. Nylander is also a pending UFA and a pretty perfect fit on the Leafs. Not sure he's the guy to oust. There's no easy way to move the core. We aren't going to make it a priority to move one of the core guys this offseason, but if someone wants to cough up a nice offer, then I don't see the Leafs declining

Yea but the main diff is with Nylander its more likely can break even in a trade. Marner its almost a guaranteed loss thats the consensus rn

As I dont see anyone giving fair value or even overpaying for Marner. Nylander thats a diff story I could see a team offer more or heck we use him in a package to bring someone better

As 6.9mill is easier to move and get value than 10.9mill
May 16, 2023 at 3:40 p.m.
Amirov Forever
I feel like a lot of people (including myself) point to Kawhi Leonard as the kind of trade the Leafs could make, but what if it turns out that it's more of a Teoscar Hernandez trade? If the Leafs could make a Varsho-like and Hernandez-like trade this offseason, that could be a success.

Varsho comp. - Prospects and picks to PHI for Konecny and Cates
Hernandez comp. - Probably revolves around Nylander to CGY for Dube / Mangipane + Picks + Cap

Meant to include Ruzicka*
May 16, 2023 at 3:45 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
Tyler Bertuzzi would be my #1 UFA target this summer.

He is like Bunting only better offensively and is to me the better rat.

U want someone with that FU element but can also make u pay Bertuzzi's the guy

7 playoff games 5 goals and assists

Like just imagine they bring him and Konecney in. Its very possible to do it even with the big 4. Konecney wont come cheap but we got the assets to make a deal work

Is there someone else beyond Bertuzzi to consider? Hate to only consider just him.
May 16, 2023 at 3:52 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
A closer look at Mitch Marner's offensive production on a per-game basis in the regular season and playoffs since he broke into the league with the Toronto Maple Leafs

<a href=marner-playoffs.jpg">

In 16 career elimination games — where either the Leafs or their opponent faced extermination — Marner has two goals and nine assists. That includes one goal and one assist in Game 4 against Florida. He had no points in Game 6 against Tampa and no points in Game 5 against the Panthers.

In Game 3 against FLA when TOR needed its highest paid players to show up, Marner, Matthews and Tavares in that order were Toronto’s worst players in regulation, ranked by expected goals at 5-on-5. He got straight up bullied in Game 3, as Florida generated 18 scoring chances for with four against when Marner was on the ice in all situations, to go along with a game-worst 24-percent share of the expected goals and a 31-percent Corsi.

Marner tallied two points in the final four games against Tampa Bay last year. He tallied three in Games 4 to 6 this year against the Lightning but none in Games 1, 3 and 5 against Florida.

Again, as always, not trying to tell anyone how to fan, but if you are not sick of this, good on you. Your blind faith on this core 4 getting over the hump is commendably

This is what this group is, if you want a significant change, Marner has to go.
Saskleaf liked this.
May 16, 2023 at 3:54 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Quoting: Trickster
Is there someone else beyond Bertuzzi to consider? Hate to only consider just him.

As FA targets go Ivan Barbashev would also be high on my list.
Saskleaf and oneX liked this.
May 16, 2023 at 4:19 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Trickster

U want that element of nasty but also chip you 30 goals thats the guy

There are others but they dont bring that FU element to the table unless u decide to bring back Bunting
May 16, 2023 at 4:19 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
As FA targets go Ivan Barbashev would also be high on my list.

Honestly bring both we got the money

3.6-4mill for Barbashev

5-5.5mill for Bertuzzi
May 16, 2023 at 4:29 p.m.
Saskoiler for now

Ok I didn’t realized they could do that. Now, it’s tight and would be hard to fit in every little thing but that’s not much different from past years.

Still, doesn’t change my opinion that they should trade one or more of the core 4.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll