SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Toronto Maple Leafs 2023 2024 Offseason Discussion - Now What?

May 27, 2023 at 3:42 a.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: MatthewsFan
I actually don't hate this idea at all. Even more so if you could flip Nylander to CAR for Pesce +.

I don't love the idea of Myers but sheltered on the 3rd pair, especially if we have a left side of Rielly, McCabe, Brodie, it wouldn't be the worst.

We don't have an Oliver Ekman-Larsson on this team, it's possible we could get some nice value out of Myers.

OEL-myers.jpg">

huges-myers.jpg">

If you could get Garland + Myers(50%) + 11 overall for BOS 1st, I'd do that for sure. Then look at moving Nylander for + and you could look at:

Knies Matthews Marner
Robertson Tavares Garland
Jarnkrok Holmberg Labanc
McMann Dury Lafferty

Rielly Pesce
McCabe Liljegren
Brodie Myers

Samsonov (3,750,000)
Woll

Timmins
Zohorna
Giordano

With Samsonov being your only big signing still gives you 1.78 cap space (with a Murray buyout). If Myers is ****, just stick him in the minors.

To get Garland and the 11th overall just to take on Myers, I'd do it.

They discuss a little about this here

Nice to see you've finally unblocked me lmao.

Anyway I think you push far too much back on D when we need more offense for our roster. I wouldnt move Nylander for Pesce +, I'd look to add more forwards if we had the space, frankly

I wouldn't even entertain Myers in the lineup, in fact id pay his signing bonus and then try to give him away for free, before tossing him on waivers.
May 27, 2023 at 1:53 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
Edited May 27, 2023 at 1:58 p.m.
I have been thinking of the current situation with the Leafs and I have come to conclusion that MLSE is to blame and the problem.

The situation with Dubas should have never happened, they knew that the Dubas contract was up at the same time when the likes of Matthews Marner, and Nylander contract negotiations can begin and the NMCs and NTC kick in.

There is no good reason why you would want to put your organization in this spot and thinking it's a good thing.

The situation with TFC right now also points towards MLSE.

With the Raptors, Larry Tannenbaum stepped in to make sure Masai stayed and MLSE would have let him walk.

The MLSE needs to get the **** together, period.
May 27, 2023 at 2:01 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: Trickster
I have been thinking of the current situation with the Leafs and I have come to conclusion that MLSE is to blame and the problem.

The situation with Dubas should have never happened, they knew that the Dubas contract was up at the same time when the likes of Matthews Marner, and Nylander contract negotiations can begin and the NMCs and NTC kick in.

There is no good reason why you would want to put your organization in this spot and thinking it's a good thing.

With the Raptors, Larry Tannenbaum stepped in to make sure Masai stayed and MLSE would have let him walk.

Its Ed Rogers, in case you're looking for a targe... I mean person to blame
May 27, 2023 at 2:22 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited May 27, 2023 at 3:18 p.m.

In general looking back on it now what did Dubas do to earn an extension on par with his demands. Matthews and Nylander are up. K but last time he negotiated with them it went poorly

I like the guy but what grounds did he have to ask for more. If he really wanted to be GM why not sign the deal Monday. As Shanny gave him autonomy per reports and let him almost do everything he wished with the exception of the hagel trade (which would have been bad) and Matthews and Nylander leave cause hes gone than wow thats sad.

You could honestly argue it was time for a change core wise and GM wise as we already went coach wise. New GM, new ideas.

Will miss Dubas but I think change was needed in more than just the big 4

Yes MLSE has faults but at the same time doing what we think is right also causes issues

Dont know about the TFC so will stay clear but one could honestly argue bringing back Masai rn might really hurt Toronto

They should rebuild but Masai hates that word and when u look at the drafting man we may be a play-in team with no bright future for a while unless he really changes and gets rid of everyone but Barnes and start a new. Hopefully he pulls another Kawhii like trade but I just feel its gonna be a few years of what are we doing lul (Kind of like the Leafs from 2013-2016)
May 27, 2023 at 3:34 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Just thinking aloud some new UFA to explore and potential contracts

Tyler Bertuzzi 5.25mill x 5 years
Evan Rodrigues 3.1mill x 3 years
Andrew Cogliano 1.3mill x 1 year

Potential trades

Nylander for Toews (Avs)
Murray and pick for Labanc

Guys to bring back (RFA and UFA)

Acciari 1.5mill x 2 years
Samsonov 4.5mill x 3 years
Holmberg 850k x 2 years
Schenn 1.1mill x 2 years
Saskleaf liked this.
May 27, 2023 at 4:43 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/luke-schenn-in-wait-and-see-mode-but-hopes-to-extend-his-time-with-toronto-maple-leafs-1.1965399

1.1-1.5mill x 2 years get er done
Trickster liked this.
May 27, 2023 at 7:04 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
Quoting: aadoyle

Potential trades

Nylander for Toews (Avs)

Holmberg 850k x 2 years
Schenn 1.1mill x 2 years

I say keep Nylander and bu-bye Marner.
I think Samsonov's should be signed for less, look at Vanecek deal for me.
May 27, 2023 at 7:06 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited May 28, 2023 at 2:16 a.m.
I say keep Nylander and bu-bye Marner.
I think Samsonov's should be signed for less, look at Vanecek deal for me.

U don't win a marner trade. Nylander u can at least break even. Marner to me screams Kadri 2.0

As for Sammy he put up way better numbers than Vanacek. Knight or Husso is the comparable
May 27, 2023 at 7:32 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
U don't win a marner trade. Nylander u can break even. Marner to me screams Kadri 2.0

You cannot break even on a nylander trade
May 27, 2023 at 7:33 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited May 27, 2023 at 7:38 p.m.
Quoting: Random2152
You cannot break even on a nylander trade

If u get Devon Toews or equivalent D for Nylander that's breaking even or even winning

Like it or not u can break even with a Nylander trade.

As in the end his deal is more enticing and teams will be more willing to trade
Saskleaf liked this.
May 27, 2023 at 9:49 p.m.
Amirov Forever
If u get Devon Toews or equivalent D for Nylander that's breaking even or even winning

Like it or not u can break even with a Nylander trade.

As in the end his deal is more enticing and teams will be more willing to trade

Hes a pending UFA. I find it hard to believe that we would get optimal value
May 27, 2023 at 9:55 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Even if the Leafs don't get " a fair return" for Nylander and Mathews assuming they are traded, well that's 18.6m to try to find good value elsewhere. And if the Leafs have set aside in their minds 13.5 and 9m for those two in in 24/25, that's 22.5m for other players. Really what's the panic if those two guys leave? Regrets over one playoff round win?
May 27, 2023 at 9:57 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited May 27, 2023 at 10:13 p.m.
Quoting: Nathaniel
Hes a pending UFA. I find it hard to believe that we would get optimal value

So is Toews its basically pending UFA for Pending UFA

Thats a small part in how u break even

Good RW for good Dman. Both pending UFA's and need extensions
May 27, 2023 at 9:59 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited May 27, 2023 at 10:10 p.m.
Quoting: palhal
Even if the Leafs don't get " a fair return" for Nylander and Mathews assuming they are traded, well that's 18.6m to try to find good value elsewhere. And if the Leafs have set aside in their minds 13.5 and 9m for those two in in 24/25, that's 22.5m for other players. Really what's the panic if those two guys leave? Regrets over one playoff round win?

The panic is if u trade Matthews your admitting to rebuilding and wasting 6 years thats it . Sure 18.6mill to sign a bunch of old lesser players great that will really increase cup odds..

No competitive team does that.

If Leafs trade Matthews they fully admitting and committing to rebuilding unless someone gives them a better player like McDavid which they wont

And in general no team wants to lose guys like this for nothing or not get value. Leafs got cap space with or without them yes but u want a guy like Matthews to build around
May 27, 2023 at 10:09 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Quoting: palhal

Disappointment is a powerful emotion, but it’s key to keep a level head and not be driven by emotion. Is there a reasonable argument that the Leafs should break up a 111-point team, one of only a handful that has hit the century mark in three consecutive seasons?

In the salary-cap era, a team has only earned 110 points per 82 games or better in three consecutive seasons three times: these Leafs, these Carolina Hurricanes, who have similarly gone through playoff heartbreak, and the Detroit Red Wings who did it in four consecutive seasons from ‘05-06 to ‘08-09.

Since 2021, the Leafs have actually outscored their opponents 75-72 in the playoffs, but are 11-14 over that span. Fifty-six percent of their games have been decided by one goal, and they’ve come out on the losing side more frequently than not in those games (6-8), but before you start to think that’s a reflection on the players, keep in mind that the worst team when it comes to one-goal games in the playoffs in recent years is Edmonton, despite how strong Draisaitl and Connor McDavid have looked in consecutive playoff runs. Sometimes you just don’t get the bounces at the right time.

Credit to

That IS the panic
May 27, 2023 at 10:58 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Disappointment is a powerful emotion, but it’s key to keep a level head and not be driven by emotion. Is there a reasonable argument that the Leafs should break up a 111-point team, one of only a handful that has hit the century mark in three consecutive seasons?

In the salary-cap era, a team has only earned 110 points per 82 games or better in three consecutive seasons three times: these Leafs, these Carolina Hurricanes, who have similarly gone through playoff heartbreak, and the Detroit Red Wings who did it in four consecutive seasons from ‘05-06 to ‘08-09.

Since 2021, the Leafs have actually outscored their opponents 75-72 in the playoffs, but are 11-14 over that span. Fifty-six percent of their games have been decided by one goal, and they’ve come out on the losing side more frequently than not in those games (6-8), but before you start to think that’s a reflection on the players, keep in mind that the worst team when it comes to one-goal games in the playoffs in recent years is Edmonton, despite how strong Draisaitl and Connor McDavid have looked in consecutive playoff runs. Sometimes you just don’t get the bounces at the right time.

Credit to

That IS the panic

I'll probably stop panicking after we know who the GM is. The waiting is the worst part
MatthewsFan liked this.
May 27, 2023 at 11:20 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
I'll probably stop panicking after we know who the GM is. The waiting is the worst part

As long as its not one of the 5 stooges im good

(Benning, Chirelli, Hextall, Botterill, Fletcher)
Saskleaf liked this.
May 28, 2023 at 12:36 a.m.
Ovchinnikov 137

I'm absolutely terrified of what any other GM will do when they take over the Leafs organization.
NorthernLeafsFan05 liked this.
May 28, 2023 at 12:44 a.m.
Amirov Forever
I'm absolutely terrified of what any other GM will do when they take over the Leafs organization.

At that point, I won't be panicking, I'll just be ready for the collapse. We've endured the dark days before, what's one more?
MatthewsFan liked this.
May 28, 2023 at 8:24 a.m.
average joe
Edited May 28, 2023 at 8:56 a.m.
The panic is if u trade Matthews your admitting to rebuilding and wasting 6 years thats it .

What if those 6 years go by very quickly - as they did for Florida who dumped their top scorer, 110+ point guy, on a team with great, 120+ point, regular season results.

If I asked 7 weeks ago, everyone would have said Florida took a major step backwards this year.
May 28, 2023 at 12:52 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited May 28, 2023 at 1:04 p.m.
Quoting: Messier99
What if those 6 years go by very quickly - as they did for Florida who dumped their top scorer, 110+ point guy, on a team with great, 120+ point, regular season results.

If I asked 7 weeks ago, everyone would have said Florida took a major step backwards this year.

They won't trust me. U move on from a center like Matthew's via trade or walk away your not finding an improvement. Florida is the worst example to use as they just got lucky

Pitt takes Chicago seriously Florida ain't in the playoffs Zito is fired. Heck Marchand scores on that breakaway round 1 they done. Florida just on a Cinderella run thanks to Bob going hey I can stop pucks again.

Relying on that kind of luck will get you nowhere
May 28, 2023 at 4:22 p.m.
Which witch is which

Potential trades

Nylander for Toews (Avs)

Holmberg 850k x 2 years
Schenn 1.1mill x 2 years

None of these teams have any interest in these players.
Toronto isn't signing any of these players at those numbers.
grin
May 28, 2023 at 4:23 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited May 28, 2023 at 4:40 p.m.
Quoting: Iggwilv
None of these teams have any interest in these players.
Toronto isn't signing any of these players at those numbers.
grin

Colorado does not have Landeskog going into next season and acgm's from that team are begging for Nylander. As for Murray SJS doesnt want him another team will do a Mrazek like trade simple. SJS dont want labanc anymore and need a goalie its a simple effective trade that benefits both. Your proposals of Marner for Hellybuyck or McTavish or Kempe+Moore and Roy were just unrealistic.

Saying Toronto wouldnt want to sign guys like that is like saying goalies dont want to stop pucks.
May 28, 2023 at 4:39 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited May 28, 2023 at 4:45 p.m.
Quoting: Saskleaf
So here’s what it seems to be for the GM search: Treliving is the clear favourite and in my opinion rightfully so. He’s far from perfect, but he checks a lot of the right boxes. Experience, willingness to make big moves, willingness to add bite, and he did do relatively well as flames GM. He had a fair amount of bad moves no doubt but I think the good moves outweigh the bad. I would be happy if he is named GM, but it also wouldn’t be time to plan the parade either. Honestly he’s a pretty “safe” pick for GM but doesn’t have the potential upside a guy like Tulsky might have. I think that’s what the leafs are gonna do and I think it’s a pretty good idea, though not perfect. Just my thoughts. Also interesting but, CJ says that the GM search probably won’t go into June or if it does, it’ll be done in the first week or so. I just hope that doesn’t mean they rush it and pick the wrong guy but at the same time, they need a GM now. They don’t have time to wait with this crucial offseason fast approaching.

I got a sneaky feeling Shanahan is waiting for Dallas to get knocked out so he can talk to his Detroit buddy Jim Nill

As when Shanahan was on the Wings, Nill was an assistant GM

Shanahan hired his old coach in Babcock would not surprise me if he tries to recruit Nill after Dallas gets eliminated as his deals up this year

But as I said above as long as its not one of the 5 stooges im good. But yea if its Treliving 0 issue

Guys got flaws but what GM doesnt.
Saskleaf liked this.
May 28, 2023 at 4:45 p.m.
Go leafs go
I got a sneaky feeling Shanahan is waiting for Dallas to get knocked out so he can talk to his Detroit buddy Jim Nill

I mean that’d be great but I highly doubt that’s ever happening. Sounds like the Armstrong theory. GMs of successful teams aren’t just going to drop everything to be Torontos GM.

I’d be surprised if it wasn’t Treliving and my second bet would be Pridham if they just want familiarity.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll