Forums/Armchair-GM

To become a cup threat

Created by: michaeldym
Team: 2023-24 Edmonton Oilers
Initial Creation Date: May 15, 2023
Published: May 15, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Oilers need this to happen, to get a lot closer to the Stanley Cup. They need better, experienced depth that can push them over the top. Perry and Parise, Schenn as well are all great adds to any team looking to win a cup. ROR would be so perfect for this team. He can produce, maybe not as well as he used to, but can be a key player defensively. He is a winner, and adding winners to a team will help. Gibson is huge, they need a guy who can win games by himself. He has the ability to do that regardless of his numbers in Anaheim in recent years. The hardest trade was the Nurse deal, I wanna hear feedback. I think he needs to be dealt, it just seems like the Oilers would have to overpay with youth and picks to get it done for essentially cap space.

I debated between Graves and Dumba, and I think both are good options for Edmonton, but Dumba seemed like the cheaper option and might take a 1 year or 2 year deal to re-solidify his stock in the league. The Foegele trade was hard also, I figured Seattle would be willing to add a guy like Broberg and have him develop and be a late bloomer. Seattle is up against the cap but they could flip him somewhere else with salary retention, or let the final year run out and let him walk.

In the Gibson, Campbell Swap --> They would have to waive their NMTC in order for it to work.

Perry and Parise join EDM on league-min deals.

I know the Nurse trade is wild, but let me know if that needs more, too much, etc.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$3,850,000
1$825,000
2$925,000
1$865,000
1$820,000
2$1,375,000
2$1,375,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$825,000
1$800,000
1$800,000
1$885,000
1$950,000
3$4,000,000
1$775,000
1$775,000
1$775,000
2$3,000,000
Trades
EDM
  1. Gibson, John
  2. 2024 5th round pick (ANA)
Additional Details:
Tell me if I am overpaying or not here. But I feel it holds fair value. Edmonton loves these albatross and anchor contracts which just seems inevitable. I do not think Campbell was a bad signing, I just do not think it worked out as for now. Edmonton could easily run it back next year and roll with Campbell. He will be expected to bounce back. However, I do not know if you can afford to wait. Skinner is not the greatest option, but he is not the worst. His AAV is fair and him backing up a starter is a great situation. Gibson in Anaheim has been dead for a while. The Ducks have been rebuilding and Gibson has been bad since for obvious reasons. Some state his play has declined but I truly believe that in the NHL, star goalies who get paid a TON, become lazy when their team's are average or bad. Once they get in to the playoffs though, they perform (Price, Bobrovsky for example). But Gibson was a very good goalie when the Ducks were good, and even at the start of the rebiuild. He is a good fit for EDM, hell be motivated and could be a darkhorse for the Vezina if he returns to the form we know he is capable of. Yamamoto is a solid, but very small player. He works hard, but hard to see him back with Edmonton's needs and cap issues. The 2 picks are high, and can even be conditioned to improve. Anaheim can eat some money for a bit, or even flip Yamamoto's rights and get assets for him. I think this would pay off both ways. Oilers need a guy who can be elite, and Gibson could very well be the guy Edmonton has been missing.
ANA
  1. Campbell, Jack
  2. Yamamoto, Kailer
  3. 2023 2nd round pick (EDM)
  4. 2025 3rd round pick (EDM)
EDM
  1. Edmundson, Joel
Additional Details:
Edmonton needs this trade. Ceci has not been bad on Edmonton, but his cap is significant for the Oilers in the next 2 years. I think there are better players than him at his position and at his cap, and Joel Edmundson comes to mind. There is injury concern, which is why the return is not as high as maybe it would be at the deadline, also Edmonton has no picks really. Eddy will be big for Edmonton, especially in the Playoffs. They needed another good Defenceman this year, Ekholm was a great add, but another I felt was needed. This could make them way harder to play against. The sweetener is the 2nd, which is a fair price even for Eddy, and the 5th is for that extra year the Ceci has. Good trade for both sides. Habs may be clogged on D but they can try to flip him in a hockey trade which is what they love to do.
MTL
  1. Ceci, Cody
  2. 2024 2nd round pick (EDM)
  3. 2024 5th round pick (ANA)
EDM
  1. Brown, Joshua
  2. 2025 5th round pick (ARI)
Additional Details:
This is a cap dump. Look, Nurse is overpaid to a degree that the Oilers are just so handcuffed. It is a big problem, and they are most likely going to have to give up a 1st rounder with Nurse to get a deal done and even more, such as one of their best prospects in Bourgault. Nurse has a lot of term, and Arizona may honestly not be willing to take this deal, but a 1st in 2025 is unpredictable. The Oilers are at the peak of this window right now, so they have to win and do everything they can before Draisaitl needs a new deal. Who knows, an injury to one of McDavid or Draisaitl this year can put even more pressure on them in 2025, or even an injury in 2025 can give the Coyotes a great pick. So there is a lot of risk here for Edmonton. They are also moving Bourgault, who is a good prospect (former 1st rounder) and could get a great opportunity when Arizona and its youth is ready to start competing more and more. A 5th going back seems reasonable, and a player with some money on him, like Josh Brown. but the interesting piece is Josh Brown. Look, I have a hard time seeing anyone wanting Nurse, even Arizona. Yes, they are getting 2 first rounders, but he has a lot of term on this deal. The Oilers need money flexibility and I believe that trading futures with Nurse will help them spend money more appropriately. (LMK WHAT YOU ALL THINK even if he would never get traded lol).
ARI
  1. Bourgault, Xavier
  2. Nurse, Darnell
  3. 2025 1st round pick (EDM)
EDM
  1. 2024 4th round pick (SEA)
Additional Details:
Cap dump, yes Seattle is up against the cap too, but they do have some guys expiring this year and next year just like Foegele. I think the sweetener here is Broberg, who is still young, not making a lot of money and can be utilizied. Not to mention, he could blossom in Seattle, and that would be a bad look for Edmonton. He could need a fresh start, new system, team, and this opportunity could benefit him. Edmonton gains over 3M in cap space which is exactly what they need right now. No greater time to go all in when Draisaitl is playing on a bargain deal, and before McDavid needs an extension.
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the SEA
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the NSH
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$82,500,000$78,839,167$850,000$650,000$3,660,833

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$5,125,000$5,125,000
LW, RW
NMC
UFA - 3
$12,500,000$12,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 3
$1,375,000$1,375,000
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$5,125,000$5,125,000
LW, C
NMC
UFA - 6
$8,500,000$8,500,000
C, LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RW, LW
NMC
UFA - 5
$925,000$925,000
RW, C
RFA - 1
$4,000,000$4,000,000
C
UFA - 4
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$650,000$650K)
LW, C
RFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
LW
UFA - 1
$1,375,000$1,375,000
C
RFA - 2
$775,000$775,000
RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LD/RD
UFA - 3
$3,850,000$3,850,000
RD
RFA - 2
Logo of the Anaheim Ducks
$6,400,000$6,400,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 4
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$875,000$875,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RD
UFA - 1
$2,600,000$2,600,000
G
UFA - 3
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 3
$775,000$775,000
RD
UFA - 3
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$885,000$885,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 1
$762,500$762,500
RD
UFA - 1
Logo of the Arizona Coyotes
$1,275,000$1,275,000
RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 15, 2023 at 2:45 p.m.
Not enough for the Ducks to take Campbell let alone get Gibson as well

"I'm not considering moving John Gibson," Verbeek said flatly. "I've actually sat down and had a conversation with him about this. We have an excellent number one goaltender. The hardest thing in the NHL is finding a number one goaltender and I can speak from experience on this, because when we were in Tampa, we did not have a number one goaltender and we gave up numerous assets trying to chase one.

"Finally we were able to draft one with Andrei Vasilveskiy. When you have one, you don't give them up unless you've got another one that's coming behind. At this point, we're very young with our goaltenders and certainly we're not at that stage where anyone can take John Gibson's position at number one right now."

Direct quote from Pat Verbeek https://www.nhl.com/ducks/news/verbeek-reflects-on-ducks-struggles-previews-crucial-summer-in-anaheim/c-341996140

It would take a 1st+ for the Ducks to even entertain taking Campbell in exchange for FC's
michaeldym and Lenny7 liked this.
May 15, 2023 at 2:46 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
So you trade one unproven, unreliable goalie for another slightly less unproven, unreliable goalie? And then you trade for Edmunson, are you a Habs fan wishing that the Oilers suck
May 15, 2023 at 2:46 p.m.
modem
Quoting: Salzy
Not enough for the Ducks to take Campbell let alone get Gibson as well

"I'm not considering moving John Gibson," Verbeek said flatly. "I've actually sat down and had a conversation with him about this. We have an excellent number one goaltender. The hardest thing in the NHL is finding a number one goaltender and I can speak from experience on this, because when we were in Tampa, we did not have a number one goaltender and we gave up numerous assets trying to chase one.

"Finally we were able to draft one with Andrei Vasilveskiy. When you have one, you don't give them up unless you've got another one that's coming behind. At this point, we're very young with our goaltenders and certainly we're not at that stage where anyone can take John Gibson's position at number one right now."

Direct quote from Pat Verbeek https://www.nhl.com/ducks/news/verbeek-reflects-on-ducks-struggles-previews-crucial-summer-in-anaheim/c-341996140

It would take a 1st+ for the Ducks to even entertain taking Campbell in exchange for FC's

Did not realize that, fair enough.
May 15, 2023 at 2:50 p.m.
Future Norris guy
All Canadian teams are on John Gibson's no trade list, That has already been reported.

Matt Dumba isn't taking anything less than 5 x $5,000,000 if not slightly more.

Ryan O'Reilly probably gets 3 x $5,000,000.

Corey Perry likely remains in Tampa. And Zach Parise has stated numerous times that he will never ever play in Canada.
May 15, 2023 at 2:50 p.m.
modem
Quoting: Leafsfan98
So you trade one unproven, unreliable goalie for another slightly less unproven, unreliable goalie? And then you trade for Edmunson, are you a Habs fan wishing that the Oilers suck

I wouldn't say Gibson is unproven at all. Campbell is proven too, had a very bad year imo. Love my habs, do not think the Oilers are worse after this, but they need more grit and playoff players, much like your small and feeble Maple Leafs, the Oilers need an Edmundson. Winner, great track record, etc. Oilers would be so lucky to have him. The habs would be eating Ceci for 2 years and get a 2nd and 5th. Eddy also has 1 left. Fine to me
May 15, 2023 at 2:53 p.m.
modem
Quoting: HockeyIsMyPassion61
All Canadian teams are on John Gibson's no trade list, That has already been reported.

Matt Dumba isn't taking anything less than 5 x $5,000,000 if not slightly more.

Ryan O'Reilly probably gets 3 x $5,000,000.

Corey Perry likely remains in Tampa. And Zach Parise has stated numerous times that he will never ever play in Canada.

Who on earth would give Dumba that much with that much term after atrocious seasons? I have no idea how he got 6M a year to begin with but if you wanna tell me that will be his contract, that team is done.

O'Reilly I kind of guessed around, but maybe hes convinced to join a winner or a core like Edmonton's.

Had no idea Parise said that, and Perry is unpredictable but he is not going to win in Tampa. They are done.
May 15, 2023 at 2:54 p.m.
Future Ducks legend
Quoting: michaeldym
Did not realize that, fair enough.

There are a few more details that torpedo the deal. It's widely assumed that all of Canada is on Gibson's NTC list, as he very publicly torpedoed a potential deal to Toronto last year when the rumors started making the rounds that Dubas was inquiring about him.

Secondly, IF Gibson were to be moved, it would be to an eastern conference team, or at minimum the central. The likelihood of us sending him within division only for him to dunk on us multiple times a year is effectively zero.

Weirdly enough, Campbell performed incredibly well in the playoffs, he may have simply had a hard time adapting to Edmonton. Maybe next season he bounces back in a big way. He looked good in every playoff appearance he was in, it was really perplexing why he didn't start game 6, not that those goals were really Stu's fault, but Soups is known to make those huge saves when needed. Guy is clutch when he is on his game.

Now, cue a bunch of fans coming in here screaming that Gibson is trash, why would you trade for him?
May 15, 2023 at 2:58 p.m.
modem
Quoting: GiggywithGibby
There are a few more details that torpedo the deal. It's widely assumed that all of Canada is on Gibson's NTC list, as he very publicly torpedoed a potential deal to Toronto last year when the rumors started making the rounds that Dubas was inquiring about him.

Secondly, IF Gibson were to be moved, it would be to an eastern conference team, or at minimum the central. The likelihood of us sending him within division only for him to dunk on us multiple times a year is effectively zero.

Weirdly enough, Campbell performed incredibly well in the playoffs, he may have simply had a hard time adapting to Edmonton. Maybe next season he bounces back in a big way. He looked good in every playoff appearance he was in, it was really perplexing why he didn't start game 6, not that those goals were really Stu's fault, but Soups is known to make those huge saves when needed. Guy is clutch when he is on his game.

Now, cue a bunch of fans coming in here screaming that Gibson is trash, why would you trade for him?

Ya I guess sending him within the division would be bad so I can see why that would be an issue. Did not know the whole NMC with Canada was real so I guess this wouldn't work. I do believe Campbell will bounce back also. Gibson is so elite, even back in 2018, I thought the best goalies in the league at that time were Price, Vasilevsky and Gibson. He is so talented and I really had no idea why no team traded for him years ago. But I get why Anaheim wants to keep him, as long as their timeline matches with his prime timeline, then I guess it works. His numbers may be bad but I definitely don't buy that as a reason that he is bad. Could still be a top 3 goalie in the league, easily.
May 15, 2023 at 2:59 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
I wouldn't say Gibson is unproven at all. Campbell is proven too, had a very bad year imo. Love my habs, do not think the Oilers are worse after this, but they need more grit and playoff players, much like your small and feeble Maple Leafs, the Oilers need an Edmundson. Winner, great track record, etc. Oilers would be so lucky to have him. The habs would be eating Ceci for 2 years and get a 2nd and 5th. Eddy also has 1 left. Fine to me

Sorry when was the last time Gibson made the playoffs? How is Campbell "Proven" after back-to-back horrific seasons. How is Edmundson an improvement, he has been so bad that Habs fans changed his value form a 1st, to a 3rd or 4rth... Not to mention him being horrific defensively. Small and feeble? After losing Knies and Sammsonov and running into a hot Bob, the Leafs outplayed the Panthers...
May 15, 2023 at 3:01 p.m.
I like Nurse's game, but I don't think anyone wants that contract. Seven more years. Seven. Not just the cap, but short term the real dollars are crazy. And late term, it's all in signing bonuses making him essentially buyout proof. 7 years and $62 million is just way too big for anyone to want to commit to. Even with a decent prospect and pick included.
Hawksguy81, CHAR and michaeldym liked this.
May 15, 2023 at 5:01 p.m.
Look, Nurse is overpaid to a degree that the Oilers are just so handcuffed. It is a big problem, and they are most likely going to have to give up a 1st rounder with Nurse to get a deal done and even more

Nurse is down right untradable because of his contract. The set of defensemen making 9+ million AAV is very small so it gets pretty easy to compare them and Nurse is the 2nd worst of all of them only ahead of Seth Jones (in my opinion of course). You pay a guy that much money because he's going to kill it for your team. To that end McAvoy, Fox, Josi, Hamilton, Makar, etc all score in the 4.5 to 5.5 GSVA range. Nurse is 2.7. That's really bad. A guy making 4M should be able to give you that.

Going beyond AAV the structure of the contract is a hard pill to swallow. Years 1 to 4 alternate between 12M or 10M in real money, I can't fathom any team with 9M in cap space wanting to pay him 12M in salary. Certainly not Arizona with how they run that team. Years 5-8 all have 6M in signing bonus making the contract almost impossible to buy out. Meaning you are stuck with this guy for the full duration until he's 35. If his play vs contract is questionable now, what is that going to compare like in year 6, 7 or 8?

I really can't now, or at the time it happened, comprehend why Edmonton gave Nurse that contract. If he made 6.5M like he should then the Oilers would be ecstatic to have him on the roster. Instead, we're having this conversation.
michaeldym liked this.
May 16, 2023 at 10:34 a.m.
modem
Sorry when was the last time Gibson made the playoffs? How is Campbell "Proven" after back-to-back horrific seasons. How is Edmundson an improvement, he has been so bad that Habs fans changed his value form a 1st, to a 3rd or 4rth... Not to mention him being horrific defensively. Small and feeble? After losing Knies and Sammsonov and running into a hot Bob, the Leafs outplayed the Panthers...

If the ducks wanted to trade Gibson, he would be sent to a playoff team. He is a legit very good goalie and he unfortunately plays on a team that is rebuilding. They'll be happy to have him once they return to the post-season. Campbell had a great year in 2021, and last year. He had an adjustment period and had a bad year. Are you gonna call Jonathan Huberdeau a bad player after he regressed? I wouldn't. Edmundson has won a stanley cup, and he has helped teams in the playoffs. He is a good player trust me. The leafs could use a guy like that because you all have no concept of what playoff hockey is. It isn't the fancy goals by your 11M dollar players that get you cups, it is the mean players that battle, and the depth players that come through clutch. Eddy did that for STL and us. And also, I don't care if you outplayed them, you still lost lmao. Take your moral wins but it won't matter because its over with.
May 16, 2023 at 10:35 a.m.
modem
Quoting: Pompadour_de_Armstrong
I like Nurse's game, but I don't think anyone wants that contract. Seven more years. Seven. Not just the cap, but short term the real dollars are crazy. And late term, it's all in signing bonuses making him essentially buyout proof. 7 years and $62 million is just way too big for anyone to want to commit to. Even with a decent prospect and pick included.

I figured. I honestly was gonna stop this armchair when I got to him, because he absolutely handcuffs the Oilers. What a horrible contract lol.
May 16, 2023 at 10:54 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
If the ducks wanted to trade Gibson, he would be sent to a playoff team. He is a legit very good goalie and he unfortunately plays on a team that is rebuilding. They'll be happy to have him once they return to the post-season. Campbell had a great year in 2021, and last year. He had an adjustment period and had a bad year. Are you gonna call Jonathan Huberdeau a bad player after he regressed? I wouldn't. Edmundson has won a stanley cup, and he has helped teams in the playoffs. He is a good player trust me. The leafs could use a guy like that because you all have no concept of what playoff hockey is. It isn't the fancy goals by your 11M dollar players that get you cups, it is the mean players that battle, and the depth players that come through clutch. Eddy did that for STL and us. And also, I don't care if you outplayed them, you still lost lmao. Take your moral wins but it won't matter because its over with.

But again, how do we know that Gibson is a good player come playoffs? Campbell, last season after November, was an .899 goalie (worse than Murray and Sammy) but go off. Difference in-between Huberdeau and Campbell is: If Huberdeau had one month last year where he put up 70 point and only put up 10 points a month after that... wouldn't that show that he has already started to regress? Would you really be surprised by this bad year? I'm sure as much as Leaf fans love Campbell, we weren't surprised that he was woeful in net. As for Edmunson, he had 1 good playoff run (3 goals in 11 games) but was shooting at a 33% and hasn't eclipsed 10% shooting before/since (while constantly being a minus player playing on the 3rd pairing).

It's funny that you mention "concept of playoff hockey" when you have Carey Price for 15 years and only manage to go to the finals once in his final year because of his .920 save percentage across 22 games. All of those Habs teams should have been renamed Carey Price because that was the team. This is evidently proven by the following year (Price retires and you acquire guys like Dvorak whom all Habs fans claim is very good) and yet your team finishes dead last and this year; 5th last. So yeah, the Leafs could have used a player on the Habs, but his name is not Joel Edmunson... It's the greatest goalie of all time. Habs fan have no right to talk about winning
May 16, 2023 at 12:56 p.m.
modem
But again, how do we know that Gibson is a good player come playoffs? Campbell, last season after November, was an .899 goalie (worse than Murray and Sammy) but go off. Difference in-between Huberdeau and Campbell is: If Huberdeau had one month last year where he put up 70 point and only put up 10 points a month after that... wouldn't that show that he has already started to regress? Would you really be surprised by this bad year? I'm sure as much as Leaf fans love Campbell, we weren't surprised that he was woeful in net. As for Edmunson, he had 1 good playoff run (3 goals in 11 games) but was shooting at a 33% and hasn't eclipsed 10% shooting before/since (while constantly being a minus player playing on the 3rd pairing).

It's funny that you mention "concept of playoff hockey" when you have Carey Price for 15 years and only manage to go to the finals once in his final year because of his .920 save percentage across 22 games. All of those Habs teams should have been renamed Carey Price because that was the team. This is evidently proven by the following year (Price retires and you acquire guys like Dvorak whom all Habs fans claim is very good) and yet your team finishes dead last and this year; 5th last. So yeah, the Leafs could have used a player on the Habs, but his name is not Joel Edmunson... It's the greatest goalie of all time. Habs fan have no right to talk about winning

Sure I expected Huberdeau to regress, just like Johnny Gaudreau in CLB. However, I did not expect him to be significantly under a PPG in Calgary. I never thought you guys would win much with him in net, but he was not terrible in his time in Toronto.

Ok, lol. Joel Edmundson's job isn't to score goals, it's to be a presence in the room, on the ice, and in-front of the net. He plays hard, is a big body, physical, you get it. Those guys are key in Playoff Runs which is why teams covet players like him. Luke Schenn is the only D-man I would be annoyed playing against, the rest don't worry me. But for example, if I had to go up against Weber, Petry, Edmundson, and Chiarot, I would be frustrated because those guys battle and hit and bruise you. Telling me I do not know about playoff hockey, or anything about winning is so hypocritical coming from you. Lol what do you know? A couple very good seasons followed up by 1st round defeats? You haven't seen your franchise win, except a draft lottery and 1 playoff series. The Habs may have never won a Stanley Cup in my lifetime yet but I've seen them win over 10 series and have memories that you only wish your Maple Leafs could do.

I don't care if Carey was that team, because he was. He was our best player, and your best players step up and take you to the next level. Sorry yours can't do that, must be tough.
May 16, 2023 at 8:49 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Sure I expected Huberdeau to regress, just like Johnny Gaudreau in CLB. However, I did not expect him to be significantly under a PPG in Calgary. I never thought you guys would win much with him in net, but he was not terrible in his time in Toronto.

Ok, lol. Joel Edmundson's job isn't to score goals, it's to be a presence in the room, on the ice, and in-front of the net. He plays hard, is a big body, physical, you get it. Those guys are key in Playoff Runs which is why teams covet players like him. Luke Schenn is the only D-man I would be annoyed playing against, the rest don't worry me. But for example, if I had to go up against Weber, Petry, Edmundson, and Chiarot, I would be frustrated because those guys battle and hit and bruise you. Telling me I do not know about playoff hockey, or anything about winning is so hypocritical coming from you. Lol what do you know? A couple very good seasons followed up by 1st round defeats? You haven't seen your franchise win, except a draft lottery and 1 playoff series. The Habs may have never won a Stanley Cup in my lifetime yet but I've seen them win over 10 series and have memories that you only wish your Maple Leafs could do.

I don't care if Carey was that team, because he was. He was our best player, and your best players step up and take you to the next level. Sorry yours can't do that, must be tough.

In 2021-22, Campbell was worse than Murray was this year...

If you think Edmunson/Chiarot/Petry is scaring anybody but Rielly or McCabe isn't... that says a lot. On top of that, Edmunson costs more money than Schenn and Schenn only got a 3rd round pick at the TDL

How many 80-90+ players did Carey Price have in front of him for 15 (I repeat, 15 season, not 7.) years? 1. So, either your GM is terrible at drafting or your GM trades away talent. In this case, the answer is all of the above. Before you decide that I don't know much about playoff success and that my team has only 1 playoff round win, think to yourself, how many series do Montreal win without Price? 0. Then, you might say: "Well my team has also won more Stanley cups than yours and blah blah blah. you already know you won most of those Stanley Cups when the Habs had exclusive rights to French Canadian players before the draft even started (i. e. Maurice Richard, Henri Richard, Jean Beliveau etc. don't come to your franchise). So, what's your knew excuse about Edmunson being great (so great that 100% of his value is being a 'locker room guy') or me not knowing what it takes to win etc.
May 17, 2023 at 11:16 a.m.
modem
In 2021-22, Campbell was worse than Murray was this year...

If you think Edmunson/Chiarot/Petry is scaring anybody but Rielly or McCabe isn't... that says a lot. On top of that, Edmunson costs more money than Schenn and Schenn only got a 3rd round pick at the TDL

How many 80-90+ players did Carey Price have in front of him for 15 (I repeat, 15 season, not 7.) years? 1. So, either your GM is terrible at drafting or your GM trades away talent. In this case, the answer is all of the above. Before you decide that I don't know much about playoff success and that my team has only 1 playoff round win, think to yourself, how many series do Montreal win without Price? 0. Then, you might say: "Well my team has also won more Stanley cups than yours and blah blah blah. you already know you won most of those Stanley Cups when the Habs had exclusive rights to French Canadian players before the draft even started (i. e. Maurice Richard, Henri Richard, Jean Beliveau etc. don't come to your franchise). So, what's your knew excuse about Edmunson being great (so great that 100% of his value is being a 'locker room guy') or me not knowing what it takes to win etc.

You know Campbell better than I do so whatever.

Of course those 3 are scaring you. They hit you, cross check, slash you, they all are big bodies and just big presences. That is the point for D men in the playoffs, they bully you. You guys would kill to have had them this year so do not deny that. Forgot about McCabe, he is good and definitely a presence, but Reilly does not scare me that much tbh. And imo, Tanner Jeannot went for a first rounder which I thought was a lot. Schenn was an overpayment a little bit, still a trade worth making. Also, Eddy was hurt, and I am sure he would fetched more if he was healthy and the Habs actually wanted to move him.

Lol. Ok. Seems like your still hurt from last Friday. Here's my thoughts. Price had one PPG player in his tenure, and after that, we had Domi. We drafted well outside of the 1st round and got Subban, Gallagher, etc. However, when Berg came in, there was no Hockey Ops leader, no development team, scouting in the first round was absolutely atrocious. Every Habs fan knew that it was a disaster. Of course you do not understand playoff success. How do you think the Bruins, Hawks, Pens, Caps, Avs, Lightning won cups? They made trades at the deadline to acquire WINNERS! Veteran leaders, bullies. You need those guys to win cups. Edmundson is that type of player. You draft talent, but you add the key pieces after.

What even is your point in saying the Habs have zero series wins without Price? Lol of course we don't and wouldn't have won, we needed our best player. That's like asking me "How many series do the Rangers win without Shesterkin and Lundqvist? Zero. I could say the same about Matthews, however he has played in every series and you lost all of them except 1, maybe if he played vs the Panthers you'd be happier. In this years Tampa serires, you needed him to win the series, he was very good. So of course the Habs needed the GOAT to carry them. I don't care how we win, as along as we do, Im fine.

Buddy Im not bringing up the 24 cups or legends we have had in the past lol. I don' care about that right now. It happened 30 years ago. I wasn't alive for any of that, although very happy the team I love has an amazing history. You guys would kill for Eddy to be playing w Schenn or McCabe, that is how you win. I think you're underestimating a Stanley cup champ.
May 17, 2023 at 11:31 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
You know Campbell better than I do so whatever.

Of course those 3 are scaring you. They hit you, cross check, slash you, they all are big bodies and just big presences. That is the point for D men in the playoffs, they bully you. You guys would kill to have had them this year so do not deny that. Forgot about McCabe, he is good and definitely a presence, but Reilly does not scare me that much tbh. And imo, Tanner Jeannot went for a first rounder which I thought was a lot. Schenn was an overpayment a little bit, still a trade worth making. Also, Eddy was hurt, and I am sure he would fetched more if he was healthy and the Habs actually wanted to move him.

Lol. Ok. Seems like your still hurt from last Friday. Here's my thoughts. Price had one PPG player in his tenure, and after that, we had Domi. We drafted well outside of the 1st round and got Subban, Gallagher, etc. However, when Berg came in, there was no Hockey Ops leader, no development team, scouting in the first round was absolutely atrocious. Every Habs fan knew that it was a disaster. Of course you do not understand playoff success. How do you think the Bruins, Hawks, Pens, Caps, Avs, Lightning won cups? They made trades at the deadline to acquire WINNERS! Veteran leaders, bullies. You need those guys to win cups. Edmundson is that type of player. You draft talent, but you add the key pieces after.

What even is your point in saying the Habs have zero series wins without Price? Lol of course we don't and wouldn't have won, we needed our best player. That's like asking me "How many series do the Rangers win without Shesterkin and Lundqvist? Zero. I could say the same about Matthews, however he has played in every series and you lost all of them except 1, maybe if he played vs the Panthers you'd be happier. In this years Tampa serires, you needed him to win the series, he was very good. So of course the Habs needed the GOAT to carry them. I don't care how we win, as along as we do, Im fine.

Buddy Im not bringing up the 24 cups or legends we have had in the past lol. I don' care about that right now. It happened 30 years ago. I wasn't alive for any of that, although very happy the team I love has an amazing history. You guys would kill for Eddy to be playing w Schenn or McCabe, that is how you win. I think you're underestimating a Stanley cup champ.

Weber in Nashville was obviously scary but the other 3 were pushovers, when the Habs made their spectacular (because Price put them on their back) run, did you notice how less and less minutes were being given to those 3... Because they were exposed as being easy to play against... The same reason why Edmonton opted for Ekholm over a significantly cheaper offer for Edmunson, just like every other team before EDM.

Seems like you are still hurt from your failed promise to get a 3rd 1st this year even though every else told you that you weren't getting another bc of there players you had. Let's look at how the most recent ones (TBL and COL) won their cups: all of their top 9 was thru drafting and 2/4 of their top 4 were through the draft (Sergachev was thru a trade early on and McDonough was thru a trade that saw J.T. Miller become a Rangers. Who were those 2 drafted by again? I can't put my finger on it. COL's team was almost all thru the draft (except Manson and Kadri)

I don't think Eddy makes the top 7 defensemen in our system rn o he'd get in as much as Gus and even then... Being a cup champ is great. But Eddy's contribution for example isn't any where near ROR/Killorn/Manson/Girad for example
May 17, 2023 at 11:48 a.m.
modem
Weber in Nashville was obviously scary but the other 3 were pushovers, when the Habs made their spectacular (because Price put them on their back) run, did you notice how less and less minutes were being given to those 3... Because they were exposed as being easy to play against... The same reason why Edmonton opted for Ekholm over a significantly cheaper offer for Edmunson, just like every other team before EDM.

Seems like you are still hurt from your failed promise to get a 3rd 1st this year even though every else told you that you weren't getting another bc of there players you had. Let's look at how the most recent ones (TBL and COL) won their cups: all of their top 9 was thru drafting and 2/4 of their top 4 were through the draft (Sergachev was thru a trade early on and McDonough was thru a trade that saw J.T. Miller become a Rangers. Who were those 2 drafted by again? I can't put my finger on it. COL's team was almost all thru the draft (except Manson and Kadri)

I don't think Eddy makes the top 7 defensemen in our system rn o he'd get in as much as Gus and even then... Being a cup champ is great. But Eddy's contribution for example isn't any where near ROR/Killorn/Manson/Girad for example

Push overs? The 4 of them were horses. We played those 2 guys that whole OT in game 6 vs you guys and they just battled away. At some points we played 4 D in the coming series because they could handle it. They had a huge effect on the series vs the Leafs and others but of course Price is the primary reason. Edmonton opted for Ekholm because he wasn't playing injured with a **** back. Eddy is consistently hurt which lowers his stock, and no team would want to gamble a higher pick because of that. What if he doesn't play after he is traded? or gets hurt at the start of the playoffs and that team loses right away. The risk needs to be calculated but he is worth having on your blue line come playoff time.

I didn't expect another 3rd lmao. We had no assets, I did think Monahan would have gotten one forsure, and Eddy at one point but that didn't happen.

Like I said, Tampa and Colorado drafted their talent, and added their warriors. Kadri was freaking fantastic all year and in the playoffs. Manson was a perfect add to an already deep D core. Manson was a big guy ,can hit, kill Pens... That is a perfect example of what winning teams do. Tampa did the same thing, Sergachev trade lol, and then got McDonough. But great Pieces. Coleman, Goodrow, were great adds. Those guys sacrifice the body and play hard. That is why they won. Cernak, etc, etc. And idk why you keep telling me how Sergachev and McDonough were acquired lol. How do you think Goodrow and Coleman were? Through player assets and draft picks. You can draft as much talent, acquire the depth and warriors through trade or FA. Your argument is irrelevant.

I think his contribution would be felt, trust me. ROR different type of effect but definitely greater because of the player he is. And if you think Eddy is not in over Holl or Gustavsson, you're out of your freaking mind and you wouldn't get any farther than this year. (Reilly Schenn, McCabe Eddy, Brodie, Holl/Lilegren) Of course Eddy is in.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll