Forums/Armchair-GM

I say run it back

Created by: Juice
Team: 2023-24 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: May 15, 2023
Published: May 17, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I know. Leaf fans are angry and we NEED CHANGE. RIght? And everyone else is acting like sharks in the water hoping to get one of nylander, marner or matthews. But let's run this thing back...we're really not that far away from breaking through even more. Could we end up losing in the 1st round again? Sure. But I haven't seen a single trade scenario that makes me think we'll end up a better team in the short term by moving any of these guys. And I don't care about the long-term yet.

I looked at a Murray buy-out...but year 2, when the cap hit is $2m, is when we'll need the cap space more than this upcoming year. So maybe he moves his NTC if he understands he's the 3rd guy on the depth chart here.

So move a 1st to dump him...maybe get a 2nd or a 3rd to move Sammy's rights...then sign a vet goalie to backup Woll. I'd be cool is Sammy does 2-3 years between $4-5m too. I'd figure that out first before deciding if O'Reilly is someone we want to commit to again.

Schenn, Aciari and Kampf would be the guys I bring back....then gauge what Bunting is looking for vs if Bertuzzi will come here and at what cost.

Knies can play top 6 from what he's shown us. Worst case he's 3rd pairing but I think you give him the chance to play with our big dogs. I like the size and grit of Bert and Knies on the left side with our other 4 skilled players.

If there's a trade for Brodie and a chance to sign Dumba...I'd consider it just for the youth and mobility...TJ seemed to be slowing down a lot down the stretch.

But I really want to see this core to the end of Tavares' contract and then see what his $11m coming off the books can do for us.
Free Agent Signings
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$2,000,000
1$775,000
2$1,500,000
2$800,000
2$800,000
2$1,200,000
3$4,500,000
3$5,250,000
Trades
TOR
  1. 2023 2nd round pick (CAR)
CAR
    Samsonov Rights
    TOR
      Future considerations. Any team with cap space who wants a 1st rounder to take this dump
      BUF
      1. Murray, Matt
      2. 2023 1st round pick (BOS)
      DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
      Logo of the CAR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the NYI
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the CHI
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the OTT
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the CHI
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
      23$83,500,000$80,856,450$0$0$2,643,550
      Left WingCentreRight Wing
      Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
      $925,000$925,000
      LW, RW
      RFA - 2
      $11,640,250$11,640,250
      C
      NMC
      UFA - 1
      $10,903,000$10,903,000
      RW
      NMC
      UFA - 2
      $5,250,000$5,250,000
      LW, RW
      UFA - 1
      $11,000,000$11,000,000
      C, LW
      NMC
      UFA - 2
      $6,962,366$6,962,366
      RW
      NMC
      UFA - 1
      $2,100,000$2,100,000
      RW, C, LW
      M-NTC
      UFA - 3
      $4,500,000$4,500,000
      C
      UFA - 4
      $1,500,000$1,500,000
      C, RW
      UFA - 3
      $796,667$796,667
      LW, RW
      RFA - 1
      $1,200,000$1,200,000
      C
      UFA - 4
      $1,150,000$1,150,000
      RW, C, LW
      UFA - 1
      Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
      $7,500,000$7,500,000
      LD
      NMC
      UFA - 7
      $5,000,000$5,000,000
      LD/RD
      M-NTC
      UFA - 1
      $766,667$766,667
      G
      RFA - 2
      $2,000,000$2,000,000
      LD/RD
      M-NTC
      UFA - 2
      $1,400,000$1,400,000
      RD
      RFA - 1
      $2,000,000$2,000,000
      G
      UFA - 1
      $800,000$800,000
      LD
      UFA - 1
      $800,000$800,000
      RD
      UFA - 3
      ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
      $800,000$800,000
      LW, RW
      UFA - 1
      $5,625,000$5,625,000
      LD
      M-NTC
      UFA - 1
      $1,100,000$1,100,000
      RD
      RFA - 2
      $762,500$762,500
      RW, LW
      UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
      • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
      May 17, 2023 at 8:29 a.m.
      The problem I think is the D needs a solid upgrade and there is no money for it,
      gretzkyghosts liked this.
      May 17, 2023 at 8:33 a.m.
      Quoting: python3504
      The problem I think is the D needs a solid upgrade and there is no money for it,

I don't disagree. I'm also not sure there's anyone in free agency that helps a whole lot. Maybe Orlov but we're already LD heavy. I noted in my comments that I'd explore a Brodie trade and a Dumba signing but I'm not certain that's the best move, either.

A Nylander for RHD trade is something I've always been looking at...but they gotta be sure it's the right guy
      May 17, 2023 at 8:36 a.m.
      Quoting: Juice
      I don't disagree. I'm also not sure there's anyone in free agency that helps a whole lot. Maybe Orlov but we're already LD heavy. I noted in my comments that I'd explore a Brodie trade and a Dumba signing but I'm not certain that's the best move, either.

A Nylander for RHD trade is something I've always been looking at...but they gotta be sure it's the right guy

Yes I agree, LD is heavy but i think McCabe can play the right side which could help you could have the below, Nylader for a RD would be nice but i cant see any teams looking to move a guy how is as valuable as Nylander.

Rielly - Brodie
      Orlov or whoever - McCabe
      Gio - Schenn / Lilly
      May 17, 2023 at 8:36 a.m.
      Bandwagon fairweathe
      Mathews and nylander kind of hold all the cards and extension talks this summer, extend one trade one, don’t overly care about the youth in the package back, attempt to check all the boxes with the money saved and the returning players. No futures just guys that hit a 2 year window similar to tavares contract.
      May 17, 2023 at 8:40 a.m.
      Pass on Sammy, you're not going to get value for his rights. Goalies, especially like him who are fringe starters, don't return 2nds.
      May 17, 2023 at 8:58 a.m.
      Rip
      Quoting: Birtle34
      Mathews and nylander kind of hold all the cards and extension talks this summer, extend one trade one, don’t overly care about the youth in the package back, attempt to check all the boxes with the money saved and the returning players. No futures just guys that hit a 2 year window similar to tavares contract.

Replacing one of Nylander or Matthews with FA money will do nothing. All you'll do is overpay some vet that can't do what Nylander or Matthews can do. And the window is a lot longer than just JT's contract. He'll resign for cheap and be a super value contract. I bet he signs for way below market value when the time comes. This team has 5-8 years of contention still.
      May 17, 2023 at 8:59 a.m.
      Rip
      Quoting: Caniac2000
      Pass on Sammy, you're not going to get value for his rights. Goalies, especially like him who are fringe starters, don't return 2nds.

While I personally wouldn't pay him over 4 million. He's shown himself as much more than a fringe starter.
      May 17, 2023 at 9:00 a.m.

I kind of used Husso last year as a comparable. He got an early 3rd from Detroit and I think Sammy carries more value...or at least similar value.
      gretzkyghosts and python3504 liked this.
      May 17, 2023 at 9:09 a.m.
      Gabagool44
      Bertuzzi is not signing anywhere for less than 6mil AAV.
      May 17, 2023 at 9:24 a.m.
      If Dubas offered Murray and Boston's 2023 first to Karmanos, it would be very difficult to turn down.
      Buffalo would probably add LAK third or a prospect to the deal to get an extra first round pick in this draft.
      May 17, 2023 at 9:27 a.m.
      I think Georgiev is probably the best comparable. He returned a 3rd and two 5ths. But I think if Sammy is willing to sign a similar contract to Georgiev (3x3.4), I'd keep him around. I also don't think it'll take a 1st to dump Murray. In that case I'd rather just keep him for one season. A 1st is too costly given our position/prospect pool all for a goalie that isn't even that bad. I also think swapping Brodie for Dumba after watching one playoff run is pretty blasphemous. I agree that we do need an injection of speed on the blue line, but not like that haha. Brodie is easily still our best defenceman. I don't think Dumba is the type of player you think he is. He's never been good defensively, and has never really put up elite offensive numbers. He just isn't the right guy.
      May 17, 2023 at 9:36 a.m.
      Quoting: GladeBang12
      I think Georgiev is probably the best comparable. He returned a 3rd and two 5ths. But I think if Sammy is willing to sign a similar contract to Georgiev (3x3.4), I'd keep him around. I also don't think it'll take a 1st to dump Murray. In that case I'd rather just keep him for one season. A 1st is too costly given our position/prospect pool all for a goalie that isn't even that bad. I also think swapping Brodie for Dumba after watching one playoff run is pretty blasphemous. I agree that we do need an injection of speed on the blue line, but not like that haha. Brodie is easily still our best defenceman. I don't think Dumba is the type of player you think he is. He's never been good defensively, and has never really put up elite offensive numbers. He just isn't the right guy.

I don't disagree with most of this...I just think TJ took a step back this year, as a whole, and we could use a little more speed on the back end....but I agree that Dumba likely isn't a great answer depending on what price tag he commands.
      May 17, 2023 at 10:09 a.m.
      I kind of used Husso last year as a comparable. He got an early 3rd from Detroit and I think Sammy carries more value...or at least similar value.

Quoting: RipNasty
      While I personally wouldn't pay him over 4 million. He's shown himself as much more than a fringe starter.

This is a dude that was sub .900 this postseason. Husso was different because he took the starters role from a guy that lead a team to the Stanley Cup. Samsonov beat the shell of Matt Murray. Samsonov didn't even have a particularly strong season. He's not more than a fringe starter, and he showed it in the postseason.
      May 17, 2023 at 10:15 a.m.
      Rip
      This is a dude that was sub .900 this postseason. Husso was different because he took the starters role from a guy that lead a team to the Stanley Cup. Samsonov beat the shell of Matt Murray. Samsonov didn't even have a particularly strong season. He's not more than a fringe starter, and he showed it in the postseason.

I guess out playing Vasilevsky counts for nothing. Dude you so clearly have a bias against the Leafs. Samsonov could win the Vezina and you'd come up with reasons why he isn't good.
      python3504 liked this.
      May 17, 2023 at 10:18 a.m.

what? this is trolling and you likely don't even realize it. Go show me Husso's playoff stats after last year and before he got traded and then get back to me.
      May 17, 2023 at 10:20 a.m.
      what? this is trolling and you likely don't even realize it. Go show me Husso's playoff stats after last year and before he got traded and then get back to me.

Go look for yourself buddy. The thought with Husso is that he was good for a time. Samsonov openly was garbage on the road. He was inconsistent at best and his analytics sucked. This is homerism and you likely don't even realise it
      May 17, 2023 at 10:21 a.m.
      I guess out playing Vasilevsky counts for nothing. Dude you so clearly have a bias against the Leafs. Samsonov could win the Vezina and you'd come up with reasons why he isn't good.

Outplaying vasy with a sub .900 save percentage yeah? Het outta here lmao. I got nothing against Toronto, just against idiots. You happen to be acting like one of those right now. Stop it. Sub .900 outplaying Vasilevskiy... that was a good laugh, thank you
      May 17, 2023 at 10:29 a.m.
      Go look for yourself buddy. The thought with Husso is that he was good for a time. Samsonov openly was garbage on the road. He was inconsistent at best and his analytics sucked. This is homerism and you likely don't even realise it

Ya...I did, clearly.

Sammy puts up a 2.33 GAA with a .919 sv percentage and a 27-10 record. Then a 3.13 GAA and .898 sv percentage in the playoffs

Husso goes 2.56 GAA with a .919 sv percentage and a record of 25-7. Then a 3.67 GAA and .890 sv percentage in the playoffs. But one is a way better option than the other?

Husso wasn't "good for a time"....he was thought to have been the goalie of the future for St. Louis and then was crap...then had one good year and one crap playoff performance before being traded because St. Louis had already committed too much money to Binnington.

It's as close to apples to apples as you can get
      May 17, 2023 at 10:38 a.m.
      Rip
      Outplaying vasy with a sub .900 save percentage yeah? Het outta here lmao. I got nothing against Toronto, just against idiots. You happen to be acting like one of those right now. Stop it. Sub .900 outplaying Vasilevskiy... that was a good laugh, thank you

You sir are a hopeless homer and a leaf hater. Long history of it. Still likely calls Nylander a 60 point winger.
      May 17, 2023 at 1:02 p.m.
      Lets Get Kraken

How exactly did he outplay Vasilevskiy? I mean, Vasilevskiy was also dealing with a nagging injury from halfway through the regular season, Game 35, I believe was the game that got mentioned. Frankly, it’s a safe assumption, that with all the key players on Tampa that were playing through injuries or were taken out due to injuries, if they weren’t completely decimated by injuries, the drought hits 20 years. So he was barely able to outplay an injured Vasilevskiy, so what? At the end of the day, his stat lines are still pretty close to that of an injured Vasilevskiy. It’s not as much of a compliment as you make it out to be.
      May 17, 2023 at 1:16 p.m.
      Quoting: evelutions2
      How exactly did he outplay Vasilevskiy? I mean, Vasilevskiy was also dealing with a nagging injury from halfway through the regular season, Game 35, I believe was the game that got mentioned. Frankly, it’s a safe assumption, that with all the key players on Tampa that were playing through injuries or were taken out due to injuries, if they weren’t completely decimated by injuries, the drought hits 20 years. So he was barely able to outplay an injured Vasilevskiy, so what? At the end of the day, his stat lines are still pretty close to that of an injured Vasilevskiy. It’s not as much of a compliment as you make it out to be.

lol...it's safe to assume that, is it?

Leafs were 2nd this year in man games lost to injury...you think everyone was coming in healthy? We lost a top 6 winger and our starting goalie...but it was only Tampa battling injuries that made the difference?

The series went to 7 games last year with a healthy tampa team....these teams are close to par with each other....but go ahead and safely assume that while criticizing someone else's opinion that Samsonov had a better first round. Top notch double standard
      May 17, 2023 at 1:16 p.m.
      Rip

Ah yes now these excuses. You guys are all the same and it's just dumb

To create a post please Login or Register
      Question:
      Options:
      Add Option
      Submit Poll