Forums/Armchair-GM

Revamped defense and bottom 6

Created by: Pensfan303
Team: 2023-24 Pittsburgh Penguins
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 1, 2023
Published: Jun. 1, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Here is my ideal realistic offseason which is a mix of what I want the pens to do and what I believe will happen.

-- With Dubas now in the mix, I do believe we will see 1 or 2 FA signings from his old leafs team as there is familiarity there.

-- We take the L on Granlund and buy him out instead of spending assets to dump him. He only costs us 900k this season and 1.9 the following 3 which should not be an issue with the cap rising.

-- Buy out Carter. IDC if we have 3 mil less in cap space, Carter needs to go and retire. He cannot be on this team anymore. He does more harm than good.

-- Zucker walks as chances are he is going to look for 1 final pay day and with his age and injuring history, I think it's probably best to let him walk

-- After a up and down season, Jarry is re-signed on a 2 year prove you can be our guy deal. A low risk contract if it doesn't work out and if Jarry does pefrom, he gets a shot at 1 final pay day at age 30.

-- David Kampf comes in to Center the 4th line as he is very good on faceoffs, plays the PK and can chip in on offense.

-- Derek Ryan may not be a flashy name and may be old af, but with he is still a good veteran defensive foward and more importantly, a right shot center that isn't Jeff Carter and gets paid nothing. So if he sucks we can send him packing pretty easily. Every good team has at least 1 right shot center they can rely on for their strong side in the defensive zone on crucial faceoffs and as a 4th liner, he doesn't need to play much.

-- Conor Sheary is brought back to Pittsburgh because not only is he someone that Sully knows and trusts, he's also a pretty good middle 6 forward and would come at a low risk contract. Sheary isn't one of the Fancy names like Barbashev or Bertuzzi however, he's still a very solid option and a massive improvement over what we had last season.

-- Ryan Graves is brought in to bring size, a defensive presence to the defense and the ability to clear out the front of the net which was still a massive issue last season. I believe he could work really well with Letang which would leave Petterson to play with Petry. This also means one of POJ or Ty Smith would lose a spot which isn't ideal, but I believe Graves is an upgrade over both. Sully also gets the LD improvement that he wanted last season and that Hextall failed to do.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$800,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$800,000
2$950,000
2$950,000
2$850,000
2$950,000
3$1,250,000
2$925,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$4,000,000
2$775,000
2$2,000,000
1$1,000,000
2$2,500,000
6$5,500,000
1$775,000
1$775,000
1$775,000
1$775,000
1$775,000
1$950,000
Trades
PIT
  1. Stanley, Logan [RFA Rights]
  2. 2023 5th round pick (WPG)
Additional Details:
Logan Stanley has requested a trade out of Winnipeg and is poised to be dealt this offseason.

Stanley is a huge 6'6 dmen who is a good bottom pair defensive presence and would help the pens clear the front of the net more often which was still a big issue last season.

Not to mention that at only 25 years old, Stanley still has a little room to grow and with the right coaching, could excel in a 3rd pair role.
WPG
  1. DeSmith, Casey
  2. 2023 3rd round pick (NJD)
Additional Details:
With the Penguins looking for a true 1B behind Jarry, they move on from Desmith who is a good backup, don't get me wrong however, that's all he will ever be and the penguins need someone that can step in and split starts with Jarry to insure he stays healthy.
PIT
  1. Anderson-Dolan, Jaret [RFA Rights]
  2. Durzi, Sean
Additional Details:
With the Kings having a log jam on the right side of the defense and needing a young LD, I believe a swap like this could make a lot of sense in this scenario.

Jaret Anderson-Dolan could be a nice piece to the Bottom 6 as he looks to finally be a full time NHL player. Hes a versatile foward which Sully likes, good skater, plays bigger than his 5'11 frame might indicate.

LA also has a plethora of foward prospect so Anderson - Dolan could be moved? If not a foward like Rasmus Kupari would also interest me however I don't think LA would move Kupari.
LAK
  1. Joseph, Pierre-Olivier
  2. 2024 3rd round pick (VGK)
Additional Details:
With the addition of Logan Stanley and with the plans to move on from Jan Rutta the pens Swap young OFD with the Kings.
PIT
  1. Crouse, Lawson
  2. Vejmelka, Karel
Additional Details:
ARZ was reported to be willing to hear offers on Crouse a few times now and Crouse would fetch a great return.

Crouse is a big PWF who has come into his own the last 2 season by becoming a 20+ goal scorer. Hes also a very physical foward which the pens lineup lacks right espically if Jason Zucker walks in FA which I believe he will. Crouse is also the type of foward every teams wants come playoff time.

Vejmelka to me is perfect 1B to Tristan Jarry if the pens are to go that route instead of persuing one of the big 3 in Ulmark, Hellebuyck and Gibson. Vejmelka has been good on a pretty bad ARZ team and is capable of being a starter and in this case splitting games with Jarry as the pens look to reduce his load in order to help reduce his injury risks.
ARI
  1. Murashov, Sergei [Reserve List]
  2. Puustinen, Valtteri
  3. 2023 1st round pick (PIT)
  4. 2025 3rd round pick (PIT)
Additional Details:
Now I know many pens fans don't want to move our 1st round pick however, this team is in win now mode and when it will comes time to rebuild in 2-3 years, we can then flip Crouse for picks or prospect when that time comes as he will still be young and under contract. Hopefully his value only goes up in that time and not down haha.

Puustinen is a young foward who has dominated the AHL and simply never got a shot in Pittsburgh. In ARZ he would most likely get a shot in the top 6 where he could excel and potentially become a long term piece in ARZ.

With Joel Blomqvist poised to be the future in net for the pens, they move on from another solid Goaltender prospect in Sergei Murashov who dominated the MHL this past season and was lights out in his lone KHL start. Once ARZ satrts to be on the way up, Murashov will be ready to come over.

Now is this enough? Probably not however, this is a solid base to this trade I believe.
PIT
  1. 2023 4th round pick (BUF)
Additional Details:
ANY Team needing a veteran right shot dmen
PIT
  1. 2023 2nd round pick (WPG)
  2. 2024 4th round pick (SEA)
Additional Details:
WIth Soucy on his way out, Seattle takes a chance on a different kind of dmen in Ty Smith would can play both the left and right side.
SEA
  1. Smith, Ty
Additional Details:
With Graves and Stanley added to Help clear the front of the net, Pens move on from Ty smith for draft capital.
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the SEA
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$83,500,000$77,093,925$0$0$6,406,075

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$8,700,000$8,700,000
C
NMC
UFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 5
Logo of the Arizona Coyotes
$4,300,000$4,300,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$6,100,000$6,100,000
C
NMC
UFA - 3
$775,000$775,000
RW, LW
RFA - 1
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000
C, LW, RW
RFA - 1
$5,125,000$5,125,000
RW, LW
NMC
UFA - 5
$950,000$950,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
C
UFA - 4
$1,000,000$1,000,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,025,175$4,025,175
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$6,100,000$6,100,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 5
$4,000,000$4,000,000
G
UFA - 5
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LD
UFA - 6
$2,343,750$2,343,750
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
Logo of the Arizona Coyotes
$2,725,000$2,725,000
G
UFA - 2
$1,250,000$1,250,000
LD
RFA - 1
Logo of the Los Angeles Kings
$1,700,000$1,700,000
LD/RD
RFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$950,000$950,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$950,000$950,000
LW
UFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
RD
UFA - 1
Taxi Squad
$775,000$775,000 ($0$0$0$0)
LD/RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jun. 1, 2023 at 11:45 p.m.
Oiler_fan60
Derek Ryan will be an oiler very very slim chance that he doesn't come back
Jun. 1, 2023 at 11:49 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
If you want both Anderson-Dolan and Durzi, you'll have to make that 2024 pick your own second.
Jun. 1, 2023 at 11:54 p.m.
Quoting: OldNYIfan
If you want both Anderson-Dolan and Durzi, you'll have to make that 2024 pick your own second.

That's fair, I would still do that, Just wasn't to sure how Anderson-Dolan is valued
Jun. 1, 2023 at 11:55 p.m.
Quoting: Oiler_fan88
Derek Ryan will be an oiler very very slim chance that he doesn't come back

Fair enough and if that does happen, pens could sign a Luke Glendening to fill the same role.
Jun. 1, 2023 at 11:56 p.m.
I would not complain about that goaltending duo, I quite like Vej. Small sample size but he's been extremely good, much better than a guy like John Gibson for cheaper. However I have zero interest in Crouse, esp if he's gonna be in the top 6. If we're gonna play a big guy who's best trait is beeg, and can't skate that well just play Poulin there, but I'd much rather just play Puustinen there bc he can actually skate!!! (Or get someone else for the top 6, Garland or Boeser maybe). I like that 4th line asw. However zero interest in Stanley, he's been horrid in WPG, he's beeg but terrible defensively (and offensively) would much rather trade for Gawanke if we're trading for a jets d man who asked for a trade lol
Jun. 2, 2023 at 12:04 a.m.
Edited Jun. 2, 2023 at 12:10 a.m.
Quoting: Dan10900
I would not complain about that goaltending duo, I quite like Vej. Small sample size but he's been extremely good, much better than a guy like John Gibson for cheaper. However I have zero interest in Crouse, esp if he's gonna be in the top 6. If we're gonna play a big guy who's best trait is beeg, and can't skate that well just play Poulin there, but I'd much rather just play Puustinen there bc he can actually skate!!! (Or get someone else for the top 6, Garland or Boeser maybe). I like that 4th line asw. However zero interest in Stanley, he's been horrid in WPG, he's beeg but terrible defensively (and offensively) would much rather trade for Gawanke if we're trading for a jets d man who asked for a trade lol

Lawson Crouse can also put the puck in the net which is why hes an interesting target to me while also being a physical presence. Another option I thought about was to just go out and sign Bunting or play Pustinen like you mentioned. I just think Sully would rather a left shot on the left since that's been his way so far.
Jun. 2, 2023 at 12:43 a.m.
MisstheWhalers
Does Gonchar still work for the Pens?
Jun. 2, 2023 at 1:31 a.m.
That AZ trade is a disaster for the Pens.
Jun. 2, 2023 at 7:12 a.m.
Quoting: Dan10900

Crouse is actually a pretty good skater for his Size and he can score now to. If he is available with Vejmelka I would expect Buffalo to be all over that.
Jun. 2, 2023 at 9:36 a.m.
I'll personally pass on that Arizona trade. I like Crouse, but giving up a first, third, and two prospects for a 45-50 point scorer when you can sign one of Barbashev/Zucker/Bunting etc for a similar price in free agency doesn't seem like a good move to me. Vejmelka isn't good - I still don't understand why Pens fans love him so much. He's not even better than Desmith.
Jun. 2, 2023 at 2:33 p.m.
Quoting: JSEB93
I'll personally pass on that Arizona trade. I like Crouse, but giving up a first, third, and two prospects for a 45-50 point scorer when you can sign one of Barbashev/Zucker/Bunting etc for a similar price in free agency doesn't seem like a good move to me. Vejmelka isn't good - I still don't understand why Pens fans love him so much. He's not even better than Desmith.

WIth those 3 being the main Winger options in free agency, Im be willing to bet most of them get paid too much. Zucker is probably going to get more term than id be comfortable with at like 5 AAV which is eh, Bunting same and I don't see barbashev leaving Vegas TBH, I think they will do everything in their power to keep him. Vejmelka is a good goalie, he isn't elite but hes a much better 1B than Desmith and was pretty good on a god awful ARZ team.
Jun. 2, 2023 at 2:42 p.m.
Quoting: Pensfan303
WIth those 3 being the main Winger options in free agency, Im be willing to bet most of them get paid too much. Zucker is probably going to get more term than id be comfortable with at like 5 AAV which is eh, Bunting same and I don't see barbashev leaving Vegas TBH, I think they will do everything in their power to keep him. Vejmelka is a good goalie, he isn't elite but hes a much better 1B than Desmith and was pretty good on a god awful ARZ team.

There's a good amount of winger options though. There's also guys like Kane, Tarasenko, Domi, Killorn, Bertuzzi, etc. Scooping up one of Barbashev, Zucker, or Bunting, at a fair rate should be pretty easy. Like I said, I like Crouse, but he's not worth the 14th overall pick plus 2 prospects. Not when you can easily get comparable production on the open market.

Vejmelka isn't a good goalie. He's a serviceable backup. Not only is he not much better than Desmith but I wouldn't say he's better at all. Desmith is also cheaper and already on the roster. He wasn't pretty good though - he had an .899 sv% and a -8 GSAA this past season. And Desmith had just as bad if not worse defensive play in front of him.
Jun. 2, 2023 at 5:17 p.m.
Quoting: JSEB93
There's a good amount of winger options though. There's also guys like Kane, Tarasenko, Domi, Killorn, Bertuzzi, etc. Scooping up one of Barbashev, Zucker, or Bunting, at a fair rate should be pretty easy. Like I said, I like Crouse, but he's not worth the 14th overall pick plus 2 prospects. Not when you can easily get comparable production on the open market.

Vejmelka isn't a good goalie. He's a serviceable backup. Not only is he not much better than Desmith but I wouldn't say he's better at all. Desmith is also cheaper and already on the roster. He wasn't pretty good though - he had an .899 sv% and a -8 GSAA this past season. And Desmith had just as bad if not worse defensive play in front of him.

Only foward I could see us getting from that group is Bunting, also by that logic, Desmith is also a better goaltender than Gibson which everyone knows is false
Jun. 2, 2023 at 8:05 p.m.
Quoting: Pensfan303
Only foward I could see us getting from that group is Bunting, also by that logic, Desmith is also a better goaltender than Gibson which everyone knows is false

I can definitely see Zucker, Barbashev, Bertuzzi and Domi as equally possible as Bunting.

Gibson gets a slight benefit because he has a history of being elite. Vejmelka does not.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll