Forums/Armchair-GM

The Dubas Plan

Created by: bluspy88
Team: 2023-24 Pittsburgh Penguins
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 5, 2023
Published: Jun. 5, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I'm not a Penguins fan but I'm very intrigued by what they'll do with Dubas and the yet to be named GM. Looking at his Leafs tenure, I think it is safe to say that draft picks and undesirable contracts WILL be moved as much as possible. I tried to reflect that in my moves. I mostly looked to address the following:

1.) The bottom 6/depth scoring. The focus here was speed, skill (for a bottom 6 player), and cost. I don't think they need to get "bigger" as much as more versatile.

2.) Goaltending. I don't know if you can soley blame the previous tandem, but it also was not working. Letting Jarry walk and trading DeSmith lets the Penguins get creative.

I'll briefly touch on why I chose each acquisition:

Hellebuyck: Probably the best goalie available at the moment, and still in his prime. Can be that game stealer goalie that hasn't been in Pittsburgh since the Murray peak. Price is a bit steep, but if he can be Vezina caliber, you take that.

Kampf: One thing with Dubas is that he's pretty loyal to guys he likes and values. Kampf was arguably his best (under the radar) signing in Toronto, and is a solid defensive and smart bottom 6 guy. He gets a bit of a raise, but he's only 28!

Acciari: Very similar to the reasoning behind Kampf. Tireless energy and hustle, and I think in a situation like Pittsburgh he may score a little more too.

Gavrikov: He may get more than the amount I signed him for (I tried to leave some buffer cap room for increases in some contracts). However, I think he's a good minute eating D-man that can take some of the load off the rest of the top 4, while letting the 3rd pair be a bit more protected. Very good defensively, and has a little bit of offense that peeks out at times.

Bertuzzi: This one is probably the one I'm least married to, but I think he'd be a good Zucker replacement. He can make the space for Malkin and Rakell, while not being a slouch offensively either. However, I could be swayed to see why he may not be the best fit.

Varlamov: I was of two minds about the backup, but acquiring Hellebuyck means that the backup will likely not be playing more than 25% of games barring injury. Still, Varlamov is entering the Brian Elliott phase of his career, where he was a solid starter for a while who now is more of a tandem/backup. I think he's unlikely to get anything near what his old contract was, and 2 million for a chance to go for a cup with Crosby and Malkin with a solid goalie partner could be tempting. Has the ability to step in if Helle needs a break or goes down.

Olofsson: Now this one may be more of a pipe dream as Dallas could keep him around. However, Olofsson feels like a very Dubas-esque target to me, similar to Kampf. Bottom 6/call up guy from another team who can be given a larger role/more minutes. Olofsson had a good showing in limited playoff action as well, and is another hard worker and has the potential to maybe move up the lineup a bit in times of injury.

Hathaway: Has the snarl of an Acciari with the ability to pot around 10 goals in the bottom 6. Nothing flashy but good solid depth that isn't just pure enforcer/truculence.

Kerfoot: I again think of Dubas being resistent to moving Kerfoot in Toronto, and think he could be a landing spot here on a "prove it" deal. Kefoot is pretty quick, and he can play all 3 forward positions if needed which will be crucial for depth.

Addison: I admit that I'm not exactly sure what kind of return Minnesota wants, but if I was Dubas I'd get on the phone and get Addison before another team does. Part of Pittsburgh's issues last year was blue line depth and blue line scoring. Giving POJ a full time role could help, and adding Addison to the blue line's depth to rotate in and/or sub for injuries/rest could help with that. He's still young too, and PIttsburgh isn't exactly a stranger to bringing back old players/prospects.

Moves that didn't happen/left open ended:

Carter: I didn't trade Carter because I honestly don't believe there's many scenarios he'd approve a trade. He was previously threatening retirement if moved out of LA, but was convinced by a prior relationship with Hextall and a chance at a cup. No way in hell is he going to waive to go to pretty much anywhere that would take him (i.e, a contender probably won't take him and he won't go to a rebuilder). If you really need/want the Carter cap space, they either buy him out or wait til the TDL to pressure him, similar to Backes with Boston.

Veteran top 6 defenseman/other depth: I could see the 3rd pairing being possibly weak. I wouldn't discount the Penguins adding a top 6 guy (maybe even keeping Rutta? But he felt unnecessary to me) maybe on a PTO at camp. Possibly a 13th forward as well. There are also options in the AHL, but I didn't want to go more overkill.

Always appreciate feedback and constructive criticism. Very interested in the goalie tandem's reception especially.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$800,000
1$800,000
1$800,000
1$800,000
1$800,000
1$800,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$2,250,000
2$2,000,000
4$4,000,000
5$5,000,000
1$2,000,000
2$1,125,000
1$1,250,000
1$1,250,000
Trades
PIT
CHI
  1. Granlund, Mikael
  2. 2023 3rd round pick (NJD)
  3. 2024 4th round pick (PIT)
PIT
  1. 2024 6th round pick (SJS)
PIT
ARI
  1. Rutta, Jan
  2. 2024 3rd round pick (VGK)
  3. 2024 6th round pick (PIT)
PIT
  1. Hellebuyck, Connor
Additional Details:
Penguins would likely do this as a trade and sign. Not sure the specifics of the deal, but would guess he gets at least 8 mil.
WPG
  1. O'Connor, Drew
  2. Poulin, Samuel
  3. 2024 1st round pick (PIT)
Additional Details:
Its really hard to gauge a return for a goalie trade, but Hellebuyck is a Vezina-caliber goalie coming off a pretty good year. With the Penguins figuring out an extension with him as part of the deal, the heftier price makes sense. There may need to be someone else apart from O'Connor (or in place of) but I think 1st + Poulin + that other piece is a good template.
PIT
  1. Addison, Calen [RFA Rights]
Additional Details:
Yes I know Addison was sent to MIN in the Zucker trade. But I think this is a good opportunity for the Penguins to buy low on someone with some upside, and to increase their depth scoring from the blue line.
MIN
  1. 2025 3rd round pick (PIT)
Additional Details:
Not sure exactly what sort of return MIN would be wanting with Addison on the outs. I did a draft pick, but if there's a position that would be desired, please let me know.
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$83,500,000$74,977,259$0$0$8,522,741
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$8,700,000$8,700,000
C
NMC
UFA - 2
$5,125,000$5,125,000
RW, LW
NMC
UFA - 5
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$6,100,000$6,100,000
C
NMC
UFA - 3
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$1,250,000$1,250,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000
C, RW
UFA - 3
$775,000$775,000
RW, LW
RFA - 1
$1,125,000$1,125,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$2,250,000$2,250,000
C
UFA - 4
$1,250,000$1,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$3,125,000$3,125,000
RW, C
NMC
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD
UFA - 2
$6,100,000$6,100,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 5
Logo of the Winnipeg Jets
$6,166,667$6,166,667
G
NMC
UFA - 1
$4,025,175$4,025,175
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$2,343,750$2,343,750
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000
G
UFA - 4
$825,000$825,000
LD
RFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
RD
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
RD
RFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jun. 5, 2023 at 11:21 a.m.
CHI declines.
Hawksguy81 and RicXX liked this.
Jun. 5, 2023 at 11:22 a.m.
The deal on the table from the Hawks is a swap of 1st's - #14 for #19 - w/ Granny to the Hawks. Some other team might take him for a 3rd and 4th. Hawks won't.
RicXX and Garak liked this.
Jun. 5, 2023 at 11:24 a.m.
I like the direction here but still think the bottom 6 is really lacking in offensive ability still. I did one of these last week and had them buying Carter out and going after someone like Ross Colton's RFA rights with their 2024 2nd. Buy Carter out, do that deal with Tampa (theoretically they'll take the asset that they can then use to flip for someone else who is cheaper either this summer or at the deadline), sign Colton to something like 4x3.5.
bluspy88 liked this.
Jun. 5, 2023 at 11:27 a.m.
Quoting: Hawksguy81
The deal on the table from the Hawks is a swap of 1st's - #14 for #19 - w/ Granny to the Hawks. Some other team might take him for a 3rd and 4th. Hawks won't.

On the table from who?
Jun. 5, 2023 at 11:27 a.m.
Blackhawks Faithful

PIT would still have to add at least a future 2nd, it's 2 years at 5mil... 5 spot move up is not worth taking that dump...
Jun. 5, 2023 at 11:36 a.m.
Helle 99% isn't gonna happen and doesn't make sense for how expense he will be and what else those assets could be spent on and Dubas has never spent big on Gs, and I'd take Bert/Domi, but I feel like 75% of ACGMs for all teams are signing one of the two so I'm keeping expectations low for getting either. Also, imo we don't need Addison, with Smith and POJ, having 3 of the youngest players on the team being all pure OFDs is not the best
Jun. 5, 2023 at 11:44 a.m.
If PIT was willing I would want a second round pick for Addison but a third is fine, if its a third I would want like a 4th or 5th round pick too then though
bluspy88 liked this.
Jun. 5, 2023 at 12:13 p.m.
Quoting: pensgm
On the table from who?

Here on ACGM of course
RicXX liked this.
Jun. 5, 2023 at 12:19 p.m.
Quoting: RicXX
PIT would still have to add at least a future 2nd, it's 2 years at 5mil... 5 spot move up is not worth taking that dump...

Pens won't do that. The difference in value from #14 to #19 is equal to like pick #55. Hawks very well might consider taking Granny if they aren't shipping out the TBL or Rangers 2nd to move up. It's not like Granny is Zaitsev level bad.
RicXX liked this.
Jun. 5, 2023 at 12:29 p.m.
Pens won't do that. The difference in value from #14 to #19 is equal to like pick #55. Hawks very well might consider taking Granny if they aren't shipping out the TBL or Rangers 2nd to move up. It's not like Granny is Zaitsev level bad.

I mean I could certainly see the pick being like a 2nd. But a 1st seems like a lot considering, like you said, he's not a horrible player. And Zaitsev only got a 2nd and a 4th at only 500k less. So why would Granlund require a 1st? I guess if you're swapping, but I don't see a reason for the Penguins to do a swap versus a dump.
Jun. 5, 2023 at 12:30 p.m.
Quoting: Dan10900
Helle 99% isn't gonna happen and doesn't make sense for how expense he will be and what else those assets could be spent on and Dubas has never spent big on Gs, and I'd take Bert/Domi, but I feel like 75% of ACGMs for all teams are signing one of the two so I'm keeping expectations low for getting either. Also, imo we don't need Addison, with Smith and POJ, having 3 of the youngest players on the team being all pure OFDs is not the best

Good point about Dubas and goalies. I felt like considering the FA options that a trade and sign of Hellebuyck would be worth it (he's not ancient) but I see your point. I guess looking in FA I just wasn't sure who could be a legit starter other than bringing back Jarry (eh) or someone like Andersen who there's complicated history with. Maybe buy high on Hill, but the history of signing the hot goalie on the cup run is not great.
Jun. 5, 2023 at 12:32 p.m.
Quoting: bvermillion
I like the direction here but still think the bottom 6 is really lacking in offensive ability still. I did one of these last week and had them buying Carter out and going after someone like Ross Colton's RFA rights with their 2024 2nd. Buy Carter out, do that deal with Tampa (theoretically they'll take the asset that they can then use to flip for someone else who is cheaper either this summer or at the deadline), sign Colton to something like 4x3.5.

You're definitely not wrong, though I would say Olofsson I think has some untapped scoring. I thought about trying to acquire someone like Sturm from the Sharks. I like the Colton idea, I just sort of think it'd be a tougher trade for Pittsburgh, as they would be directly competing with Tampa in the playoff race. You're right they may just have to do it though.
Jun. 5, 2023 at 12:33 p.m.
Quoting: Garak
CHI declines.

What's a humble tailor doing here? I think you could argue to bump up the return, but there's no way Chicago declines it purely on principle. I just really hate estimating cap dump trades because we are often very wrong here (look at Mrazek and Zaitsev for example, think we all expected there to be more attached to them).
Garak liked this.
Jun. 5, 2023 at 12:41 p.m.
Quoting: bluspy88
I mean I could certainly see the pick being like a 2nd. But a 1st seems like a lot considering, like you said, he's not a horrible player. And Zaitsev only got a 2nd and a 4th at only 500k less. So why would Granlund require a 1st? I guess if you're swapping, but I don't see a reason for the Penguins to do a swap versus a dump.

Actually, a buyout is the best move. The swap probably costs a little less because the Hawks move up in the 1st round. A dump probably costs more than just a 2nd, as @RicXX alluded to. Chances are a Pens '24 or '25 2nd is later in the 2nd round than this year as well. Maybe not but probably. And Zaitsev was a one year dump. Granny is two.
Garak and RicXX liked this.
Jun. 5, 2023 at 12:48 p.m.
Actually, a buyout is the best move. The swap probably costs a little less because the Hawks move up in the 1st round. A dump probably costs more than just a 2nd, as RicXX alluded to. Chances are a Pens '24 or '25 2nd is later in the 2nd round than this year as well. Maybe not but probably. And Zaitsev was a one year dump. Granny is two.

Zaitsev was traded while under contract for 22-23 and 23-24 (2 years) albeit one already had begun. Granlund would be the same thing? And if anything, a Penguins 2nd rounder in later years will be higher as the team ages...
Jun. 5, 2023 at 12:58 p.m.
Banned
Minnesota declines
Jun. 5, 2023 at 1:01 p.m.
Zaitsev was traded while under contract for 22-23 and 23-24 (2 years) albeit one already had begun. Granlund would be the same thing? And if anything, a Penguins 2nd rounder in later years will be higher as the team ages...

Zaitsev was a TDL deal. Hawks paid him about $850k last season, and owe him $4.5m this year. Total $5.35m. I'm assuming this trade happens this off season? So Granny has two full years left and is owed $11m total in actual salary. As to where the Pens 2nd rounders fall, that's a crapshoot right? Seems to me Pens are still trying to be a playoff team.
RicXX liked this.
Jun. 5, 2023 at 2:20 p.m.
Good point about Dubas and goalies. I felt like considering the FA options that a trade and sign of Hellebuyck would be worth it (he's not ancient) but I see your point. I guess looking in FA I just wasn't sure who could be a legit starter other than bringing back Jarry (eh) or someone like Andersen who there's complicated history with. Maybe buy high on Hill, but the history of signing the hot goalie on the cup run is not great.

Personally I would just sign a 1A/1B tandem (or trade for someone cheap like Vejemelka from ARZ) and hope it works more like CAR's goaltending than TOR's over the past few yrs. But I also just think goaltending is completely voodoo and basically comes down to luck when evaluating 99% of goalies, there are only 2-3 consistently elite goalies (yes Helle is one of them tbf)
bluspy88 liked this.
Jun. 5, 2023 at 3:22 p.m.
What's a humble tailor doing here? I think you could argue to bump up the return, but there's no way Chicago declines it purely on principle. I just really hate estimating cap dump trades because we are often very wrong here (look at Mrazek and Zaitsev for example, think we all expected there to be more attached to them).

Hockey fans come from all walks of life, my good doctor. I just happen to be both a tailor and an Armchair GM. haha.

I thought Zaitsev was about right, with it being a TDL move and only the 23-24 season left on his deal. Plus, almost half his salary was paid on July 1, 2022, and then more than half his remaining salary was paid by OTT before he was traded to CHI. So there was very little salary owed to him post TDL. Sending the 38th overall in the Mrazek deal was definitely a bit much, though. But at the time we needed a stop-gap goalie that would be solid and professional enough while also not stealing CHI too many games. I just think that there will be better and more lucrative ways we can use our cap space during this league wide cap crunch going into next season. We can't take them all either. So, in providing a service to teams, taking on bad contracts for them, we can afford to command more and hold out for the highest bidders. Not only that, but if we use historical trade data, the going rate for that sort of cap dump is in the realm of an early 2nd round pick plus, value-wise. If they aren't desperate enough to pay that price than he shouldn't be a cap dump target and they can try their luck with another team.
RicXX and bluspy88 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll