Forums/Armchair-GM

Reason for caution

Created by: HatterTParty
Team: 2023-24 Chicago Blackhawks
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 4, 2023
Published: Jun. 6, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Things are looking up for the hawks and with bedard, they get one of the biggest pieces of any rebuild: a franchise player.

That being said, and please feel free to correct me where you feel you know better, I have reason for caution. Simply put, having watched another year of prospects and their performances, I’m still not impressed. On a positive note, Ethan de maestro is a crazy awesome revelation who has been sensational this year. I really hope to see him on the hawks in about 2-3 years. Other deep picks in the draft, like ludwinski, savoie, Greene, and even Hayes have seen varying degrees of progress as well. On a negative note the following do have me concerned:

Kevin Korchinski (LD): If there’s one thing you can trust of the Chicago sports media, it’s to sensationalize young draft picks. The same happened with Dach, and that failed miserably. Korchinski, straight up, is a one way dman. All offensive, all the time. This guy knows zero about defense and it’s showed a lot this season. The regular season really showed how good Seattle was in the WHL and how korchinski’s stats benefited from fantastic teammates. The WHL playoffs and me memorial cup, however, showed alot of defensive deficiencies. I hope and pray he finds a way to pull his two way game together, but as of now, he game has sooooo many holes in it. He’s lazy on defense, very in aggressive on offense, and shows questionable decision making. I’m genuinely a little worried about this guy.

Frank Nazar (C): this comes with the caveat of injury destroying his season. Nazar has everything you want in a potential modern NHLer. Awesome motor, good skating, and fearless play on both ends. His size and ceiling have me a little concerned though. Nazar isn’t a top line center in the making. 2B-3A seems more realistic, but crazier has happened before. Definitely need to see more for an accurate picture.

Sam Rinzel (RD): I still don’t know who was a bigger reach, rinzel or Allan back in 2021? Rinzel is a definite project player, which always rubs me the wrong way cuz it looks like they just wasted a pick. I’ll admit I wanted them to take Brad Lambert, but that’s water under the bridge. Rinzel is big, shifty, and has great reach, especially for his age. This season didn’t give much of a picture since he was still in the USHL, while the NCAA next season will be the big sell. He dominated the USHL at times, but in the middle of this, his lack of hockey IQ showed itself. Many times, rinzel made moves that you would never get away with in the NHL or NCAA. He has to keep filling out as well, which is its own challenge. Easily won’t be an NHLer for at least 4-5 more years. A true project indeed.

Nolan Allan (LD): I alluded to him above, so I’m gonna keep this short. Allan is a victim of faith, or rather the hawks faith. They selected him 32nd overall in 2021 when he projected to fall as low as the 3rd round. In other words, they REACHED. In all fairness to Allan, he is a good shutdown dman, which is as far as he will most likely get. He adds nearly zero offense to any team and lacks any real upside moving forward. This is in sharp contrast to del Maestro, who has shown fantastic progress in his offensive game despite being branded a “defensive defenseman.” I don’t know where Allan fits in the hawks, as I’d take many other LDs over him.

Colton Dach (C, LW???): well, I always knew I’d have to bring up this guy. How do you pull off a disappearing act??? ………….nobody? Call in the shadow of Kirby, his baby bro Colton. At this point, I don’t know if the Dach family just wants to antagonize me, but this family is frustrating. Colton has size, he has a shot, he has family pedigree (kinda). Yet, this guy is either in the thick of things, or just a straight up ghost. It’s very frustrating to see guys like Colton with size (like his brother) who don’t use their size efficiently or aggressively. Many will say that’s not his style, but when Colton is no where near good enough to even have top six or even middle six potential, you gotta find you niche. I hope the AHL grows him up a bit, but I am worried he won’t be more than he is already. Like korchinski, stats were inflated by a crazy good team.

Let me know how you all feel about the hawks’ prospect pool and some of the bigger prospects themselves. I have hope, but this team hasn’t grown good prospects in a long time and haven’t earned any rope.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$800,000
2$800,000
2$1,800,000
2$2,250,000
3$1,500,000
2$1,000,000
1$900,000
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Bedard, Connor
3$950,000
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
Recapture Fees
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$83,500,000$52,496,790$0$1,355,000$31,003,210
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$505,000$505K)
LW, C
RFA - 1
Bedard, Connor
$950,000$950,000
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RW, C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$2,250,000$2,250,000
LW, C, RW
RFA - 2
$2,650,000$2,650,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$758,333$758,333
RW
RFA - 1
$758,333$758,333
LW
RFA - 1
$950,000$950,000
C
RFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
RW, C
RFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
LW, C
RFA - 1
$1,200,000$1,200,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
RW
RFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
LW, RW
UFA
$900,000$900,000
RW, LW
UFA
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$1,800,000$1,800,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$9,500,000$9,500,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 7
$3,800,000$3,800,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$916,667$916,667 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LD
UFA - 1
$4,400,000$4,400,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$1,250,000$1,250,000
LD
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RD
RFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jun. 6, 2023 at 3:36 p.m.
exo2769
I don't have a ton to add. I think this is a pretty good and objective summary. I'm 100% sending Korchinski back to Seattle. 100% agreed that we need to correct the past failures and allow these kids to develop into 2-way players at the appropriate levels before bringing them to the AHL. On that note, that's why I'm ok with Rinzel's progress. I hope it continues, but gotta see it. Can't assume it. Also 100% agreed on Nazar. He'll go back at least 1 more year. I'm not as down on Allan as it sounds above. No illusions on my end that he'll be a Norris candidate. He could be a defensive Dman though. There are places in the NHL for that role for sure. It'll take time.
HatterTParty and Garak liked this.
Jun. 6, 2023 at 3:48 p.m.
I think a lot of prospects showed great progress this year. I'm very confident Korchinski will play another year of junior this year, if he has a spectacular camp I could see him getting Preseason + 9 games. But I think they will send him back to work on his game, defense and positioning as you mentioned. Nazar looked great in the few games he played, I still think he has a NHL future, but he'll play in NCAA again. Not sure what your deal is with Allen, he was just named to the all star team or whatever of the memorial cup. He's looked great in junior and I think he's ready for the AHL. I think in 2 seasons we'll see him in the NHL. Shut down defensemen are undervalued by fans but certainly still very important. His offensive game isn't as poor as you make it sound. Everyone else is still a prospect. Some will surprise you next year, some will have off years. Some will pan out, some wont. That's why we call them prospects. But the hawks have a great prospect pool, and will this year draft if will get even deeper.
HatterTParty liked this.
Jun. 6, 2023 at 3:53 p.m.
I don't think Korchinski is *that* bad defensively, he's done about as well as I expected, I don't think he was a horrible pick but he wasn't spectacular.
Same with Nazar, I don't think he was ever drafted to be a 1C, guys with that ceiling rarely fall past the top 10 (...Oliver Moore...) maybe you'd want a bit more, and obv the injury sucks, but I wouldn't be too worried about him yet
Rinzel, Allan, and Dach... yeah... I don't hate Rinzel, but Allan and Dach... when their biggest selling point is beeg/physicality, that's generally not a good sign for a high end prospect
Looking at a lot of their past drafts that seems like smth they go for a lot instead of guys with good skating or shooting or high IQ or w/e. Slaggert wasn't bad where he was taken, but Tohila, Harding, and Crevier... why... also trading for Hunter Drew is funny
HatterTParty liked this.
Jun. 6, 2023 at 4:30 p.m.
Future Ducks legend
I think CapFriendly needs more posts like yours. I tip my hat to you sir.
HatterTParty liked this.
Jun. 6, 2023 at 5:32 p.m.
I have also been watching A TON of junior and college level games this year. I agree with some of the things you said, but I look at it from a completely different angle. They are still kids, and for where they are in their development, things are looking great.

Korchinski: He doesn't concern me much. The only thing that does concern me is all this talk of rushing him into the NHL next season. He absolutely needs to go back to junior. Not only is there no reason to rush him, but he needs to hone his defensive game and mature more. If he needs a defensively geared partner in the NHL, so be it. That's usually just how it goes in the NHL anyway. But, he definitely has the offensive skill to be in the NHL right now.

Nazar: I have some concerns about him, but they can all be explained away. He needs that full season under his belt next year, for sure. I need to see way more. He was also sheltered quite a bit after he came back from injury. Which I believe was completely intentional and necessary. Smart move by both him and coach Naurato.

Rinzel: Admittedly, he was not on my radar at all last year and was definitely a reach. But, I am not concerned about Rinzel at all. He is certainly a project, but he has natural gifts that are hard to come by and I'm not just talking about his size. He is positionally sound, a great skater, and an offensive flair without sacrificing much in his own end. If there is one thing I trust Minnesota to do, it is to develop and produce quality defensemen. Also, his brother is a body builder and a strength and conditioning coach for U. of Idaho. So, not only will he have his own college helping him with building muscle, but his brother as well.

Colton Dach: I think he has serious 3rd line potential with legit top 6 upside, if everything goes right. My only real concern is with him staying healthy. He went through like 4 or 5 fairly serious injuries this past year. But, if he can bulk up and learn to protect himself better, the sky is the limit. When he was used in a shut down role in Kelowna, he might have been the best in the WHL in that role. I don't think he was invisible at all, either. But maybe we watched different games.
Jun. 6, 2023 at 5:51 p.m.
BedsyIsOurSavior
Can we at-least spell Del Mastro’s name right? Takes 2 seconds to get it right.

Rinzel, within most scouting circles, had a terrific season and has been viewed as a steal. Not a chance he isn’t in the league 5 years from now.

Nazar has all of the tools to be a 2C. Depending on who they take at 19, the Hawks could be staring at a foundation changing center position.

Bottom Line:
Davidson and Co. have to show discipline and not rush them through the system. That’s why guys have flamed out recently. Bowman was an imbecile and drafted guys who he could rush through the farm without proper development to try and help the terrible rosters he put together. The kids will be fine.
Jun. 7, 2023 at 12:12 a.m.
Quoting: exo2769
I don't have a ton to add. I think this is a pretty good and objective summary. I'm 100% sending Korchinski back to Seattle. 100% agreed that we need to correct the past failures and allow these kids to develop into 2-way players at the appropriate levels before bringing them to the AHL. On that note, that's why I'm ok with Rinzel's progress. I hope it continues, but gotta see it. Can't assume it. Also 100% agreed on Nazar. He'll go back at least 1 more year. I'm not as down on Allan as it sounds above. No illusions on my end that he'll be a Norris candidate. He could be a defensive Dman though. There are places in the NHL for that role for sure. It'll take time.

Quoting: Garak
I have also been watching A TON of junior and college level games this year. I agree with some of the things you said, but I look at it from a completely different angle. They are still kids, and for where they are in their development, things are looking great.

Korchinski: He doesn't concern me much. The only thing that does concern me is all this talk of rushing him into the NHL next season. He absolutely needs to go back to junior. Not only is there no reason to rush him, but he needs to hone his defensive game and mature more. If he needs a defensively geared partner in the NHL, so be it. That's usually just how it goes in the NHL anyway. But, he definitely has the offensive skill to be in the NHL right now.

Nazar: I have some concerns about him, but they can all be explained away. He needs that full season under his belt next year, for sure. I need to see way more. He was also sheltered quite a bit after he came back from injury. Which I believe was completely intentional and necessary. Smart move by both him and coach Naurato.

Rinzel: Admittedly, he was not on my radar at all last year and was definitely a reach. But, I am not concerned about Rinzel at all. He is certainly a project, but he has natural gifts that are hard to come by and I'm not just talking about his size. He is positionally sound, a great skater, and an offensive flair without sacrificing much in his own end. If there is one thing I trust Minnesota to do, it is to develop and produce quality defensemen. Also, his brother is a body builder and a strength and conditioning coach for U. of Idaho. So, not only will he have his own college helping him with building muscle, but his brother as well.

Colton Dach: I think he has serious 3rd line potential with legit top 6 upside, if everything goes right. My only real concern is with him staying healthy. He went through like 4 or 5 fairly serious injuries this past year. But, if he can bulk up and learn to protect himself better, the sky is the limit. When he was used in a shut down role in Kelowna, he might have been the best in the WHL in that role. I don't think he was invisible at all, either. But maybe we watched different games.

Love your assessment of rinzel. He is a rare breed of player talent and potential wise. I truly hope he has all those opportunities work out for him, be it his brother or u of m. Time is completely on his side.

Dach’s invisibility more had to do what I saw in the playoffs and memorial cup. Those moments when you hope these guys really step up. Dach had his moments, no doubt, but when he wasn’t on, he just couldn’t do much. Kinda frustrating, but of course, these are all kids, so it’s all about being patient.
exo2769 and Garak liked this.
Jun. 7, 2023 at 12:16 a.m.
Quoting: JoeMcNeely
Can we at-least spell Del Mastro’s name right? Takes 2 seconds to get it right.

Rinzel, within most scouting circles, had a terrific season and has been viewed as a steal. Not a chance he isn’t in the league 5 years from now.

Nazar has all of the tools to be a 2C. Depending on who they take at 19, the Hawks could be staring at a foundation changing center position.

Bottom Line:
Davidson and Co. have to show discipline and not rush them through the system. That’s why guys have flamed out recently. Bowman was an imbecile and drafted guys who he could rush through the farm without proper development to try and help the terrible rosters he put together. The kids will be fine.

Easy. Del Mastro was the product of autocorrect, terribly sorry for bothering you.

I 100% believe this assessment of Nazar is possible. As I said, he’s got all the tools, but I just pray he stays healthy enough now.

I can’t give rinzel a huge pat on the back due to the USHL, but I’m excited to see what he can do at the U of M. Time is totally on his side. I just don’t believe he’ll be in the league in less than 4 years. Period. I believe he will absolutely stay at minnesota for all 4 years of eligibility. Then spend some time in the A.
exo2769 and Garak liked this.
Jun. 7, 2023 at 6:48 a.m.
exo2769
Edited Jun. 7, 2023 at 7:40 a.m.
Quoting: HatterTParty
Love your assessment of rinzel. He is a rare breed of player talent and potential wise. I truly hope he has all those opportunities work out for him, be it his brother or u of m. Time is completely on his side.

Dach’s invisibility more had to do what I saw in the playoffs and memorial cup. Those moments when you hope these guys really step up. Dach had his moments, no doubt, but when he wasn’t on, he just couldn’t do much. Kinda frustrating, but of course, these are all kids, so it’s all about being patient.

Yeah, I know what you're talking about. We all hope our prospects can back hand a snipe from between the dots while Simashev (of all people) is trying to take you out of the play during a gold medal U18 WJC game. Or a guy that can walk through and entire team during a 2nd gold medal game and score TO WIN IT ALL. Oh wait, Hawks fans are about to get Bedard. Still need to express patience and 100% agree upping your game in the playoffs is a great touch to a resume. Like you said and I agree. Still kids, let's allow them to develop & gain confidence. Let's not cut corners this time around.
Jun. 7, 2023 at 7:38 a.m.
Oh yeah. I completely forgot Allan. I actually like him way more than I thought I would. He has been more than solid in my eyes and I think he is going to be sneaky good, even if third pairing is his ceiling.
Jun. 7, 2023 at 2:21 p.m.
Quoting: GiggywithGibby
I think CapFriendly needs more posts like yours. I tip my hat to you sir.

Much appreciated sir!
exo2769 liked this.
Jun. 7, 2023 at 9:58 p.m.
Quoting: Garak
Oh yeah. I completely forgot Allan. I actually like him way more than I thought I would. He has been more than solid in my eyes and I think he is going to be sneaky good, even if third pairing is his ceiling.

Honestly, I’d be okay with that as well. I do think he’s got a few years to go, but I guess my stigma with him is always gonna be where he was picked.
Garak liked this.
Jun. 8, 2023 at 10:42 a.m.
Quoting: HatterTParty
Honestly, I’d be okay with that as well. I do think he’s got a few years to go, but I guess my stigma with him is always gonna be where he was picked.

Yeah, it was certainly a reach at the time. But, I also think he has proven to be one of the best defensive defenseman out of that draft. So, in hindsight it isn't so bad, but there were still better options.

He is so cool and calm on the ice. His decision making is fantastic. He is mature mentally and physically, he might be the most pro ready in that regard. He can eat minutes and be trusted in important situations, too. If he can prove to be effective on the right side at the pro level I think that could rocket him up the depth charts. Third pairing would be fantastic, but I think he has upside much higher than that as a defensive d-man if everything goes right. BUT, you never really know until you know. And that goes for all prospects.
HatterTParty liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll