Forums/Armchair-GM

Kings Load Up and Swing For It

Created by: mynameisliang_
Team: 2023-24 Los Angeles Kings
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 14, 2023
Published: Jun. 14, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Kings sign Dubois' QO with a handshake agreement to extend him Jan 1. Hellebuyck's extension will be cheaper than people think. He's said over and over again that his priority is to go to a contender, not dollars, so I could see him coming in at $8.25M for 5 years.

The cap works with San Jose/whoever retaining salary, but there are still a bunch of RFAs to sign. May need to find a taker for Iafallo, which should return like a 3rd or something, but then you'll have a bunch of space at the deadline to add finishing wingers. You're stacked down the middle, with Scheifele able to fill in if someone gets hurt. You're adding like a net 80 goals to your roster with these moves for next year, and the cap situation gets way better for you in 2024.

Copley is a cap dump, but if you can get a return for Arvidsson then feel free to trade him elsewhere.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$6,000,000
2$900,000
2$2,750,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$900,000
Trades
LAK
  1. Dubois, Pierre-Luc [RFA Rights]
  2. Hellebuyck, Connor ($3,083,333 retained)
  3. Scheifele, Mark ($3,062,500 retained)
  4. Stanley, Logan [RFA Rights]
WPG
  1. Arvidsson, Viktor
  2. Byfield, Quinton
  3. Clarke, Brandt
  4. Copley, Pheonix
Additional Details:
Arvidsson and Copley have to be included to make the cap work.
LAK
    Future Considerations
    SJS
    1. 2023 2nd round pick (LAK)
    Additional Details:
    San Jose eats 50% of Scheifele and Hellebuyck, freeing up another $3M of cap space this year.
    Retained Salary Transactions
    Termination Fees
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the LAK
    Logo of the LAK
    Logo of the LAK
    Logo of the LAK
    Logo of the LAK
    Logo of the LAK
    Logo of the LAK
    Logo of the LAK
    Logo of the LAK
    Logo of the LAK
    Logo of the LAK
    Logo of the LAK
    Logo of the LAK
    Logo of the LAK
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    20$83,500,000$86,215,001$0$212,500-$2,715,001
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Los Angeles Kings
    $5,500,000$5,500,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 3
    $10,000,000$10,000,000
    C
    NMC
    UFA - 1
    $7,875,000$7,875,000
    RW, LW
    NMC
    UFA - 6
    $4,200,000$4,200,000
    LW, RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 5
    $6,000,000$6,000,000
    C
    UFA - 8
    Logo of the Winnipeg Jets
    $3,062,500$3,062,500
    C
    NMC
    UFA - 1
    $4,000,000$4,000,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 2
    $5,500,000$5,500,000
    C
    NMC
    UFA - 4
    $2,750,000$2,750,000
    RW, C
    RFA - 2
    $1,300,000$1,300,000
    LW, RW
    RFA - 1
    $1,675,000$1,675,000
    C
    RFA - 1
    $894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
    RW, LW
    RFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $5,875,000$5,875,000
    LD
    NMC
    UFA - 2
    $11,000,000$11,000,000
    RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 4
    Logo of the Winnipeg Jets
    $3,083,334$3,083,334
    G
    NMC
    UFA - 1
    $4,125,000$4,125,000
    LD
    UFA - 8
    $3,150,000$3,150,000
    RD
    UFA - 1
    $900,000$900,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    $900,000$900,000
    LD
    RFA - 1
    $1,700,000$1,700,000
    LD/RD
    RFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Jun. 14, 2023 at 11:45 a.m.
    Yeah Winnipeg doesn’t accept that
    Jun. 14, 2023 at 11:47 a.m.
    Benzino204
    Although Byfield, and Clarke are great pieces, Winnipeg doesn't do that.

They can get more from individual trades of Helle, Scheif, and PLD without retention.
    tsyls and Easton_H liked this.
    Jun. 14, 2023 at 11:48 a.m.
    Quoting: Easton_H

I think the idea of packaging 1 of PLD/Scheif with helly is smart. As you’ll get a haul back, but can’t do all 3 in one deal.
    Jets33 liked this.
    Jun. 14, 2023 at 11:49 a.m.
    Quoting: Easton_H

Lol good, neither do the Kings. We don't want Winnipeg's problems. Helly and Stanley are the only pieces I'm interested in here. PLD and Scheif can stay away from LA.

And we're not trading Byfield or Clarke. Especially not for 1 year of PLD and Scheifele. And the Kings can't afford an 8.5mil goalie next year.

There was a really bad Jets-Kings trade last night that might have been the worst I've seen. This one gives it a run for it's money.
    WPGSK liked this.
    Jun. 14, 2023 at 11:54 a.m.
    WPGSK
    As a WPG born WPG JETS fan for life, I accept on behalf of anyone else who doesn't see the HUGE upside win in this for WPG.

Clarke for Helly is good for both, but better for WPG. A goalie who wants to be in the US for a young, big, CDN born, #1 Pairing D. WPG wins this.

Byfield is a younger version of PLD. Not quite as good, but again, he's a young, big, CDN born kid who is at WORST a 3rd line Center, who could mature into a 2nd line Center. WPG wins this one as well.

Then the Jets get a versatile winger and a backup goalie they can use or put in the AHL to help the Moose kids.

Not sure how any WPG JET fan wouldn't accept this.
    Syrn liked this.
    Jun. 14, 2023 at 11:54 a.m.
    WPGSK
    Quoting: PuckLuck_77
    Lol good, neither do the Kings. We don't want Winnipeg's problems. Helly and Stanley are the only pieces I'm interested in here. PLD and Scheif can stay away from LA.

And we're not trading Byfield or Clarke. Especially not for 1 year of PLD and Scheifele. And the Kings can't afford an 8.5mil goalie next year.

There was a really bad Jets-Kings trade last night that might have been the worst I've seen. This one gives it a run for it's money.

See WPG JETS fans... this is what I'm talking about (see my post above this). This trade is a huge win for WPG. No clue why Jets fans don't want this. Baffling.
    Syrn liked this.
    Jun. 14, 2023 at 12:01 p.m.
    Iglesias
    Kings are not trading Clarke or Byfield for any player on the Jets. If you want all the Kings players instead of Jets players just come join the Kings fanbase!
    KINGS67 liked this.
    Jun. 14, 2023 at 12:02 p.m.

Sounds like both sides think they are giving up too much - which kind of makes me think it's more fair than people think.

The Kings would instantly be cup contenders after this trade. You're subtracting Byfield, Arvidsson and probably iafallo from your roster, but adding Scheifele and PLD and whoever replaces iafallo - that is adding like 0.75 goals per game to your lineup, without factoring in Dubois' defensive impact. Then, you're also adding Connor Hellebuyck who will save you like .3 goals per game vs your goalies last year. How many more games would the kings have won with an extra 1.05 goals per game?
    Jun. 14, 2023 at 12:03 p.m.
    Stovetop
    Hard to say if Sharks do this. They would only have one retention slot remaining for the season.
    Jun. 14, 2023 at 12:06 p.m.
    Quoting: WPGSK
    See WPG JETS fans... this is what I'm talking about (see my post above this). This trade is a huge win for WPG. No clue why Jets fans don't want this. Baffling.

Value is great for Winnipeg. Just wonder if you can get more by trading all 3 in separate deals. Especially if you pair assets, like adding a dman to Dubois/scheif. I do like the idea of packaging 1 of pld/scheif with helly though.
    Jun. 14, 2023 at 12:07 p.m.
    Moo-kama-doo-lin
    Sharks retention slots are HIGHLY valuable this next few years. It will take more than a 2nd to take one. Add a B prospect and you have a deal, add not and you can forget it. I would accept Kaliyev.
    Jun. 14, 2023 at 12:10 p.m.
    WPGSK
    Quoting: tsyls
    Value is great for Winnipeg. Just wonder if you can get more by trading all 3 in separate deals. Especially if you pair assets, like adding a dman to Dubois/scheif. I do like the idea of packaging 1 of pld/scheif with helly though.

They probably could, but even then, the Jets wouldn't get anyone like Clarke in a 1 for 1 for any Jet.
    Jun. 14, 2023 at 12:10 p.m.
    Quoting: mynameisliang_
    Sounds like both sides think they are giving up too much - which kind of makes me think it's more fair than people think.

The Kings would instantly be cup contenders after this trade. You're subtracting Byfield, Arvidsson and probably iafallo from your roster, but adding Scheifele and PLD and whoever replaces iafallo - that is adding like 0.75 goals per game to your lineup, without factoring in Dubois' defensive impact. Then, you're also adding Connor Hellebuyck who will save you like .3 goals per game vs your goalies last year. How many more games would the kings have won with an extra 1.05 goals per game?

Regardless of value/fairness, "the Kings would instantly be cup contenders after this trade" might be true (the lineup ON PAPER looks very good) but it completely disregards the fact that it falls apart after a single year when PLD and Scheifele leave in UFA or demand a trade because we can't come close to affording raises for all 3 of them. So we're trading 10-15 years EACH of Byfield and Clarke for a single year of contention.

Again. No thanks. This is terrible for LA after a single year. We're building for extended contention, not a 1-year all in deal.
    KINGS67 liked this.
    Jun. 14, 2023 at 12:14 p.m.
    They probably could, but even then, the Jets wouldn't get anyone like Clarke in a 1 for 1 for any Jet.

Don’t disagree. Just not Chevy’s MO to trade 3 pieces like that in one deal. Think he’d rather get less value, but more quantity. Which is an idiotic way to think. But that’s Chevy for ya!
    WPGSK liked this.
    Jun. 14, 2023 at 12:20 p.m.
    WPGSK
    Quoting: tsyls
    Don’t disagree. Just not Chevy’s MO to trade 3 pieces like that in one deal. Think he’d rather get less value, but more quantity. Which is an idiotic way to think. But that’s Chevy for ya!

You mean... "CHEVYTAKESTOOMANYDAYSOFF". Ya... the worst GM in the business. The man with no plan or even worse... he has a plan and it's all about plugging holes to save his job.
    tsyls liked this.
    Jun. 14, 2023 at 12:30 p.m.
    SJ passes. Not blowing the last 2 retention slots on two players for a division foe (especially when one of those is needed for a Karlsson deal).
    Jun. 14, 2023 at 12:32 p.m.
    You mean... "CHEVYTAKESTOOMANYDAYSOFF". Ya... the worst GM in the business. The man with no plan or even worse... he has a plan and it's all about plugging holes to save his job.

He’s going to hurt the franchise a ton this off-season. This unwavering commitment to competing next year is going to crush the franchise. He’s going to turn the 3 big assets, into younger roster players and it’s just going to delay the inevitable rebuild.
    WPGSK liked this.
    Jun. 14, 2023 at 12:32 p.m.
    Future Norris guy
    laugh laugh Zero chance in hell of all of Pierre-Luc Dubois, Connor Hellebuyck and Mark Scheifele all going to LA. First off you can't even afford all 3 PLD is going to want 8x9.5M to sign in high taxed California same could be said with Connor Hellebuyck. Byfield and Clarke are highly overrated here and only the two best pieces Arvidsson and Copley are just throw ins. Hellebuyck and Scheifele likely go east somewhere as both players want to play closer to their respective homes.
    Jun. 14, 2023 at 4:33 p.m.

Regardless of value/fairness, "the Kings would instantly be cup contenders after this trade" might be true (the lineup ON PAPER looks very good) but it completely disregards the fact that it falls apart after a single year when PLD and Scheifele leave in UFA or demand a trade because we can't come close to affording raises for all 3 of them. So we're trading 10-15 years EACH of Byfield and Clarke for a single year of contention.

Again. No thanks. This is terrible for LA after a single year. We're building for extended contention, not a 1-year all in deal.

Like puck luck said. Kings aren’t going to give up 10-15 each of Byfield and Clarke for the 1 year of both PLD and 1 Sheifele. Even if PLD was extended this deal is still really bad.
    Jun. 17, 2023 at 3:32 p.m.
    Quoting: KINGS67
    Like puck luck said. Kings aren’t going to give up 10-15 each of Byfield and Clarke for the 1 year of both PLD and 1 Sheifele. Even if PLD was extended this deal is still really bad.

PLD - extension is part of this, Hellebuyck has said he will take less to go to a winner. I fully expect Hellebuyck's salary to surprise some people. I would think he comes in around $8m, then you can sign a backup to league min and your total spend at goal is less than it was in 2022-23. Scheifele has to be viewed by LA as a pure rental. After a deep playoff run you can flip his negotiating rights for a 3rd rounder or something like NJ just did with Severson. Adding PLD and Hellebuyck to the kings long-term makes them a cup contender for probably the next three seasons before Kopitar, Doughty and Hellebuyck begin to decline, at which point the cap will have gone up, and the contracts of everyone involved are no longer as big of a concern.
    Jun. 17, 2023 at 3:34 p.m.
    PLD - extension is part of this, Hellebuyck has said he will take less to go to a winner. I fully expect Hellebuyck's salary to surprise some people. I would think he comes in around $8m, then you can sign a backup to league min and your total spend at goal is less than it was in 2022-23. Scheifele has to be viewed by LA as a pure rental. After a deep playoff run you can flip his negotiating rights for a 3rd rounder or something like NJ just did with Severson. Adding PLD and Hellebuyck to the kings long-term makes them a cup contender for probably the next three seasons before Kopitar, Doughty and Hellebuyck begin to decline, at which point the cap will have gone up, and the contracts of everyone involved are no longer as big of a concern.

Honestly I’d rather just get Hellebuyck and look elsewhere for a C if that’s what the kings are looking for. Maybe Aho would join the kings.

Idk how I feel about PLD. If he was an established 1C I’d like it a bit better

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll