SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Armchair-GM

Who to target at the draft

Team: 2023-24 Chicago Blackhawks
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 14, 2023
Published: Jun. 14, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
The Hawks have a ton of great prospects already and add Connor Bedard to that pool and you get the best pool in the league. However, the most exciting thing about this draft is that there's so many options for Kyle Davidson, and truthfully there is no wrong choice for him to make. Will we see him stick with 19th Overall? Or will he trade up or stay?

Worth Trading up:
Oliver Moore (C) - University of Minnesota (NCAA)
- Oliver Moore is the fastest skater in the draft and would be an absolute dream to add to the prospect pool if we get him. There's so much potential with him and I'd even be fine with Bedard on
the wing playing with him centering. This is a dream draft pick that would have to trade up to the 10-14 pick range.
Matthew Wood (RW) - University of Connecticut (NCAA)
- Matthew Wood is a massive 6'4 winger and dangerous shooter and could dominate on the power play. He does need to put some weight on, but I think he can but a goal scorer in the NHL. I
also think that his size will make him highly desirable and team may jump at the chance to draft him, so it's had to predict. I think picks 8 - 13 is where he'll be.

Stay and Pick:
Nate Danielson (C) - Brandon Wheat Kings (WHL)
- Nate Danielson is a center that could drive the play up the middle and create good plays and be consistent on both sides of the ice. I see him at a good 2C with 3C being the worst case scenario
for his career, but I think he's a top 6 player. I think he goes around the 15 - 19 pick range.
Colby Barlow (LW/RW) - Owen Sound Attack (OHL)
- Colby Barlow is a player that has a great shot and has lots of offensive upside. He can drive a play and has good puck protection skills. I think him and Bedard would be a dangerous duo in the
future. I see Colby going around the 13 - 17 pick range, so he would have to fall a bit into the Hawks hands, but who knows what could happen.

Trade Back/Players That Will Fall
Andrew Cristall (LW) - Kelowna Rockets (WHL)
- Connor Bedard said in an interview that Andrew Cristall is the smartest hockey player that he's ever played with. Sounds like he's pretty good, yet scouts see him slipping in the draft because of
his size and think he could fall out of the top 20. I personally see him as a top 20 pick with top 6 potential, but hey if he falls to us or slides to us then I won't be complaining. He is seen as one of
the more risky selections in the draft, but I think it's worth it. I see him falling to 19 - 24.
Lukas Dragicevic (RD) - Tri-City Americans (WHL)
- Lukas Dragicevic is the best Offensive Defenseman in the draft next to Sandin-Pellika. However, There is a lot of risk towards this player since he has a poor defensive game. I think his he can
figure that part of his game out, but imagine him added to out d core in Chicago. Finishing off the d core pool and making the best d pool in the league even stronger. I think the risk is worth
the reward, but I would still lean towards taking a forward with this pick. Of we do trade back ad he is available, then you can't pass him up. I think he goes around 26 - 35 pick range. Maybe We
can end up taking him with our 2nd round pick???

There's an endless amount of choices in this draft and the hawks can't really go wrong with whatever they do.
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
Recapture Fees
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
14$83,500,000$45,905,123$0$0$37,594,877
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
$4,250,000$4,250,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$2,650,000$2,650,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RW, C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
LW, C
RFA - 1
$1,200,000$1,200,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
RW, C
RFA - 1
$758,333$758,333
LW
RFA - 1
$950,000$950,000
C
RFA - 1
$758,333$758,333
RW
RFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$1,250,000$1,250,000
LD
UFA - 1
$9,500,000$9,500,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 7
$3,800,000$3,800,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$4,400,000$4,400,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jun. 14, 2023 at 2:38 p.m.
Bandwagon fairweathe
Not to nitpick but ya nitpicking Brandon is in the whl. Danielson is a solid pick, not sure on ceiling, but probably come in and play a role, 2c to 4c whatever is needed. Not a bad 2c behind bedard.
Jun. 14, 2023 at 2:48 p.m.
the crazy thing about this years draft is there is so much depth from 5 to about 30. Entirely possible that Moore or Wood could be there at 19 and Barlow and Danielson could go in the top 10-12. Love all 4 of those options though and I'd be happy with any of them. I also dont think its out of the realm of possibility we pick up another 1st rounder and take a run at reinbacher/ASP or another RHD depending on when the pick is
cagauf, Garak and Birtle34 liked this.
Jun. 14, 2023 at 2:52 p.m.
Edited Jun. 14, 2023 at 3:03 p.m.
Oliver Moore: isn't just "the fastest", he is the best (or one of the best) all around skaters in the draft. But, yes, I would love to target him if there is a way to move up far enough. This draft could go SO many different ways.

Big bodies: Last year Wood was solidly ranked in the top of the draft and then the season started and he seemed to teeter on the edge of being a 2nd round pick for most of the year, then all of a sudden he is back in that top 15 echelon. I'm not sure why he shot back up all of a sudden. Definitely wouldn't mind adding a skilled big body like him, Barlow, Danielson, But, or Honzek, though.

Cristall and Dragicevic: I wouldn't consider either of them until the mid 2nd to early 3rd area. Of course that depends on who is available, but I think it'd be a significant reach otherwise. Which, if we got our hands on one or two more 1st round picks, I wouldn't exactly mind if they did a little reaching if they were pretty high on a guy. At the same time, I think they need to make every pick count. Picking "the best available player" also means those players could be valuable trade assets down the road to help address roster needs. So, it both 'is' and 'isn't' always about "drafting for the Hawks", but also judging what the gap in talent is and if it would be more beneficial to get more value over team needs or vise versa.

Either way, I love the discussion around this draft and I am super pumped to see what happens! I have a feeling this could go down as one of the best drafts ever, in hindsight. Maybe that is just because I am more involved than I ever have been. I was a dumb teenager last time the Hawks were rebuilding, so I didn't understand or care what was going on, I just rooted for them. haha
cagauf, Birtle34, TheRealKyleDavidson and 2 others liked this.
Jun. 14, 2023 at 2:53 p.m.
I would not be surprised if we came out of this draft with Bedard, Moore/ Perreault, and Cristall. I think they will end up picking 3 times in the first round.
Garak and TheRealKyleDavidson liked this.
Jun. 14, 2023 at 2:57 p.m.
Quoting: newman23
the crazy thing about this years draft is there is so much depth from 5 to about 30. Entirely possible that Moore or Wood could be there at 19 and Barlow and Danielson could go in the top 10-12. Love all 4 of those options though and I'd be happy with any of them. I also dont think its out of the realm of possibility we pick up another 1st rounder and take a run at reinbacher/ASP or another RHD depending on when the pick is

The depth goes far beyond 30, too. I can almost guarantee there is going to be high end talent going in the 3rd round, and 1st round talent in the 2nd round. I'm hoping more teams in the top of the draft are looking for defense, that way some of these forwards can fall back. And I also hope we get more 1st rounders, even if they are after 19 there will still be great players available, or we could even package them to move up.
Birtle34, newman23, exo2769 and 1 other person liked this.
Jun. 14, 2023 at 3:02 p.m.
Quoting: Garak
The depth goes far beyond 30, too. I can almost guarantee there is going to be high end talent going in the 3rd round, and 1st round talent in the 2nd round. I'm hoping more teams in the top of the draft are looking for defense, that way some of these forwards can fall back. And I also hope we get more 1st rounders, even if they are after 19 there will still be great players available, or we could even package them to move up.

agreed, I really hope Davidson gets aggressive these next 2 weeks. With all our cap space and draft capital it would be a waste not to try to make some moves and take advantage of a draft like this
Garak and exo2769 liked this.
Jun. 14, 2023 at 3:06 p.m.
Bedard23
I’m not confident we can get Barlow at 19 might have to move up to get him
Garak, exo2769 and LivingAnew liked this.
Jun. 14, 2023 at 3:09 p.m.
Quoting: newman23
agreed, I really hope Davidson gets aggressive these next 2 weeks. With all our cap space and draft capital it would be a waste not to try to make some moves and take advantage of a draft like this

For sure. I think it is good that he isn't too eager, either. That or at least he plays coy pretty well. haha. But, eagerness is something other teams could take advantage of. Not overplaying your hand is also important, though. Hopefully he knows what he wants and what he is willing to pay for it, with maybe a margin for conceding a bit if it addresses a big need and is a player that he really believes in and doesn't hamstring CHI too much.
LivingAnew liked this.
Jun. 14, 2023 at 3:22 p.m.
TheRealKyleDavidson
Oliver Moore: isn't just "the fastest", he is the best (or one of the best) all around skaters in the draft. But, yes, I would love to target him if there is a way to move up far enough. This draft could go SO many different ways.

Big bodies: Last year Wood was solidly ranked in the top of the draft and then the season started and he seemed to teeter on the edge of being a 2nd round pick for most of the year, then all of a sudden he is back in that top 15 echelon. I'm not sure why he shot back up all of a sudden. Definitely wouldn't mind adding a skilled big body like him, Barlow, Danielson, But, or Honzek, though.

Cristall and Dragicevic: I wouldn't consider either of them until the mid 2nd to early 3rd area. Of course that depends on who is available, but I think it'd be a significant reach otherwise. Which, if we got our hands on one or two more 1st round picks, I wouldn't exactly mind if they did a little reaching if they were pretty high on a guy. At the same time, I think they need to make every pick count. Picking "the best available player" also means those players could be valuable trade assets down the road to help address roster needs. So, it both 'is' and 'isn't' always about "drafting for the Hawks", but also judging what the gap in talent is and if it would be more beneficial to get more value over team needs or vise versa.

Either way, I love the discussion around this draft and I am super pumped to see what happens! I have a feeling this could go down as one of the best drafts ever, in hindsight. Maybe that is just because I am more involved than I ever have been. I was a dumb teenager last time the Hawks were rebuilding, so I didn't understand or care what was going on, I just rooted for them. haha

Moore is one of my favorites and fits the mold that davidson wants. I’d be willing to trade a lot for him.
Garak liked this.
Jun. 14, 2023 at 3:31 p.m.
Quoting: TheRealKyleDavidson
Moore is one of my favorites and fits the mold that davidson wants. I’d be willing to trade a lot for him.

Same here. Not sure how far I would go, though. But, I am super high on him.
Jun. 14, 2023 at 3:33 p.m.
exo2769
For me...I'd keep the picks I have unless there's a nice "cap dump type move up" situation. I don't mean just a few picks either though. To me, the delta between 15 and 19 isn't much. If you go by the link I've been copying a bunch...I'd rather have the #19 and equivalent 2nd round pick vs the #14...in the hypothetical PIT trades that have been going around. Just too many good players that look to be falling.
https://soundofhockey.com/2022/06/06/examining-the-value-of-nhl-draft-picks/

I think KD has a couple of trades at the draft. NYI Bailey and the 2nd would be a great fit for both teams. 2nd rounders in this draft are great chips.

As for the players you mentioned.
I agree that Cristal will fall. I think it's less to do with his size, but more to do with his top end speed. His edge work is great. His IQ is great. Scoring Great too. He's just been run down by defensemen too many times. He doesn't really have a breakaway gear. He can't keep that distance between him and the defender. So it's hard for him to start a rush with the puck. Great puck control too, but bringing it into the zone at the NHL level is going to be more difficult than the WHL.

With Lukas Dragicevic. What you're saying is everything I've seen/read. I also heard though that he grew up playing forward. The move to defense was only a few years ago. It gives an explanation as to why he needs so much work on the defensive end, but if you draft him and keep him in the WHL for a few more years and then transition him to the AHL...he could develop. If he drops into the 2nd round I'd more strongly consider, but probably not with a 1st round pick.

I wouldn't mind Honzek with the #19. Seabs could probably give KD the inside scoop. In the 2nd round I'd be making a few swings. If But is still around...100% him. #44...Oskar Fisker is another guy I'd zero in on. Also, to me a bit of a sleeper is Rinzel's teammate Aaron Pionk. He's probably a 4th round pick AND YES, he's 20, but he played well last year. He'll go to Minn-Duluth...we need to have at least 1 in our system. take a risk on an older guy like Aiden Thompson last year.
Garak and LivingAnew liked this.
Jun. 14, 2023 at 3:39 p.m.
Quoting: exo2769
For me...I'd keep the picks I have unless there's a nice "cap dump type move up" situation. I don't mean just a few picks either though. To me, the delta between 15 and 19 isn't much. If you go by the link I've been copying a bunch...I'd rather have the #19 and equivalent 2nd round pick vs the #14...in the hypothetical PIT trades that have been going around. Just too many good players that look to be falling.

I think KD has a couple of trades at the draft. NYI Bailey and the 2nd would be a great fit for both teams. 2nd rounders in this draft are great chips.

I agree that Cristal will fall. I think it's less to do with his size, but more to do with his top end speed. His edge work is great. His IQ is great. Scoring Great too. He's just been run down by defensemen too many times. He doesn't really have a breakaway gear. He can't keep that distance between him and the defender. So it's hard for him to start a rush with the puck. Great puck control too, but bringing it into the zone at the NHL level is going to be more difficult than the WHL.

With Lukas Dragicevic. What you're saying is everything I've seen/read. I also heard though that he grew up playing forward. The move to defense was only a few years ago. It gives an explanation as to why he needs so much work on the defensive end, but if you draft him and keep him in the WHL for a few more years and then transition him to the AHL...he could develop. If he drops into the 2nd round I'd more strongly consider, but probably not with a 1st round pick.

I wouldn't mind Honzek with the #19. Seabs could probably give KD the inside scoop. In the 2nd round I'd be making a few swings. If But is still around...100% him. #44...Oskar Fisker is another guy I'd zero in on. Also, to me a bit of a sleeper is Rinzel's teammate Aaron Pionk. He's probably a 4th round pick AND YES, he's 20, but he played well last year. He'll go to Minn-Duluth...we need to have at least 1 in our system. take a risk on an older guy like Aiden Thompson last year.

I agree with and have read all of the same stuff. But, someone no one has mentioned yet and I think a lot of people seem to be sleeping on is Sawchyn. When he isn't buried in Seattles lineup next season, he is going to explode.
Jun. 14, 2023 at 3:47 p.m.
exo2769
I agree with and have read all of the same stuff. But, someone no one has mentioned yet and I think a lot of people seem to be sleeping on is Sawchyn. When he isn't buried in Seattles lineup next season, he is going to explode.

I 100% agree. I do think he's been trending up the charts a bit lately. IDK how much you get to/watch the Steel play in Geneva, but I'm pretty sure his little brother Lucas will be on the team this upcoming season. He's worth keeping an eye on for the future.
Garak liked this.
Jun. 14, 2023 at 4:02 p.m.
TheRealKyleDavidson

I agree with everything said. I also am high on Anton Wahlberg as a 2nd round pick
exo2769 and Garak liked this.
Jun. 15, 2023 at 7:42 a.m.
I 100% agree. I do think he's been trending up the charts a bit lately. IDK how much you get to/watch the Steel play in Geneva, but I'm pretty sure his little brother Lucas will be on the team this upcoming season. He's worth keeping an eye on for the future.

Well, I'm out in the Boston area these days and I don't have a FloSports subscription. So I almost never get to see USHL games. I depend on clips and highlights for that. haha.

But yeah, Sawchyn did explode up the rankings for a minute. But I think his playoff and Memorial cup performance left something to be desired on offense, and so he seemed to sink back down quite a bit.
exo2769 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll