Forums/Armchair-GM

Hit the gas

Created by: Wjdjdkf
Team: 2023-24 Detroit Red Wings
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 19, 2023
Published: Jun. 19, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
To all the “detroit has too many LD” commenters, will any reach Hanifin’s level? If so, when? Putting two potential together for a right now sure thing who can play top pair minutes. Whether you agree or not, curious in feedback on the return. Hard to gauge these assets….

Switched back to Zadina as the return piece to Ottawa based on Seravalli tweet today naming him. His point was Ottawa has less leverage than most people assume.

I think this is a playoff team that still would have nearly $30M for resigning it’s young stars next year. Should have more cheap contracts in the roster next year as prospects grow in GR.

Not likely but I’m sick of the rebuild and looking to kickstart it.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$950,000
8$8,250,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,750,000
2$2,250,000
3$3,290,000
6$5,250,000
1$1,250,000
Trades
DET
  1. DeBrincat, Alex [RFA Rights]
OTT
  1. Zadina, Filip
  2. 2023 1st round pick (NYI)
  3. 2024 4th round pick (DAL)
DET
  1. Hanifin, Noah
  2. Lindholm, Elias
  3. Vladar, Daniel
Additional Details:
Would need to lock up at least Hanafin with an extension
CGY
  1. Edvinsson, Simon
  2. Johansson, Albert
  3. Kubalik, Dominik
Additional Details:
What picks would need to be included?
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the STL
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the DET
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the STL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$83,500,000$78,984,722$0$3,407,500$4,515,278
Left WingCentreRight Wing
$5,250,000$5,250,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Detroit Red Wings
$8,700,000$8,700,000
C
NTC
UFA - 8
$8,250,000$8,250,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
RW, LW
RFA - 1
$5,625,000$5,625,000
C, LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$4,750,000$4,750,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LW
UFA - 2
Logo of the Calgary Flames
$4,850,000$4,850,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
RW, LW
RFA - 1
$878,333$878,333 (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
LW, C
RFA - 2
$1,460,000$1,460,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$2,250,000$2,250,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$1,250,000$1,250,000
LW
UFA - 1
$950,000$950,000
C
RFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$1,237,500$1,237,500
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
RFA - 1
$4,750,000$4,750,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$3,400,000$3,400,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$4,750,000$4,750,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$2,200,000$2,200,000
G
UFA - 2
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LD
UFA - 2
$3,290,000$3,290,000
RD
UFA - 3
$1,750,000$1,750,000
RD
UFA - 3

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jun. 19, 2023 at 6:44 p.m.
Joe
Our LD prospects will get to Hanifin's level before Cossa gets here before any of the picks used to assess holes at RD and LW get here.

This is just rushing an unfinished project.
buffbry9108 liked this.
Jun. 19, 2023 at 6:45 p.m.
Quoting: JoeROFLCOPTER
Our LD prospects will get to Hanifin's level before Cossa gets here before any of the picks used to assess holes at RD and LW get here.

This is just rushing an unfinished project.

As I said, impatient. Which D prospext do you feel best about outside of Edvidsson? Wallinder?
Jun. 19, 2023 at 6:47 p.m.
Kens replacement
Probably need to add a 3rd for Vladar
Jun. 19, 2023 at 6:48 p.m.
Ehhhh
Hard pass on the Calgary trades. Giving up edvinsson AND Johansson would be a colossal mistake. Lindholm and Hanifin are good but not THAT good
JoeROFLCOPTER and buffbry9108 liked this.
Jun. 19, 2023 at 6:50 p.m.
Edvinsson and Wallinder have a chance to hit Hanifan's level, if not go higher. It isn't a guarantee, but personally would rather have Wallinder-Seider / Edvinsson-????? as the top 4, and let AJ and Buium duke it out for bottom pair or used in a move to get other needs. I do like Lindholm though.

The Ottawa trade seems like theft.
Jun. 19, 2023 at 6:50 p.m.
Joe
Quoting: Wjdjdkf
As I said, impatient. Which D prospext do you feel best about outside of Edvidsson? Wallinder?

Considering Wallinder's very very good '22-'23 season in the SHL; I would think it's a safe bet that he is at least close to Hanifin.
Jun. 19, 2023 at 6:51 p.m.
Joe
Quoting: LikeABoss

Couldn't agree more.
RetireFedorov
Not a chance on the Calgary trade, just awful
Joe

Plus, you're getting rid of Edvinsson. Why? He's still a top 5 prospect -- at minimum top 10.
Jun. 19, 2023 at 6:54 p.m.
Ehhhh
Plus, you're getting rid of Edvinsson. Why? He's still a top 5 prospect -- at minimum top 10.

I read somewhere (forgot where) that he is the number 1 prospect in the NHL (not just defenseman) he is a head of nemec Hugh’s and jiricek
Jun. 19, 2023 at 6:57 p.m.
Future Norris guy
Quoting: LikeABoss

Done deal.
Jun. 19, 2023 at 7:02 p.m.
Joe
Quoting: Ffmorgan09
I read somewhere (forgot where) that he is the number 1 prospect in the NHL (not just defenseman) he is a head of nemec Hugh’s and jiricek

I'm going to be honest;
between Nemec, Jiricek, and Edvinsson - whichever one you pick depends entirely on what you want in a D-Man.
If there was a generic scale between bad and great; these guys are all right next to each other.
AmeriCanadian liked this.
Jun. 19, 2023 at 7:03 p.m.
Joe
I'm going to be honest;
between Nemec, Jiricek, and Edvinsson - whichever one you pick depends entirely on what you want in a D-Man.
If there was a generic scale between bad and great; these guys are all right next to each other.

I think L. Hughes is a step below these guys; I just think the difference between his offense (which is better than all of the previous mentioned) isn't enough to mitigate his defense (which is flat out worse than the previously mentioned).
Jun. 19, 2023 at 7:08 p.m.
Joe

I think it's important to realize that the rebuild didn't start when we missed the playoffs. Ken Holland put us in one of the worst spots for an organization in history. Did you know we had the highest cap hit of any team the year before he left?
The rebuild started at least when Yzerman got here, but if you ask me, it's a year later due to the required teardown of the **** sandwich Holland left Yzerman. Add onto the fact that we haven't picked top 3 ever, and you're going to get a very long rebuild. We have an excess of great pieces; but most of these pieces have a spot on this team. Selling them for other pieces will just open up holes elsewhere.
AmeriCanadian liked this.
Jun. 19, 2023 at 7:09 p.m.
I know it's tough cause it's seems like we have been rebuilding for so long but really I only consider it 4 years. Holland hit on like 5 out of just over 40 picks in his last 5 years I think it is. We literally didn't get going on the right direction until Yzerman became GM.
JoeROFLCOPTER liked this.
Jun. 19, 2023 at 7:10 p.m.
I think it's important to realize that the rebuild didn't start when we missed the playoffs. Ken Holland put us in one of the worst spots for an organization in history. Did you know we had the highest cap hit of any team the year before he left?
The rebuild started at least when Yzerman got here, but if you ask me, it's a year later due to the required teardown of the **** sandwich Holland left Yzerman. Add onto the fact that we haven't picked top 3 ever, and you're going to get a very long rebuild. We have an excess of great pieces; but most of these pieces have a spot on this team. Selling them for other pieces will just open up holes elsewhere.

I have been saying that for awhile, and said it above lol. Sucks to be wings fans right now, probably a decade of non playoffs.
Jun. 19, 2023 at 7:11 p.m.
Joe
Quoting: Lancebmx
I have been saying that for awhile, and said it above lol. Sucks to be wings fans right now, probably a decade of non playoffs.

All thanks to an man's refusal to enter a rebuild.
If we're not an O6 franchise I think there would've been some talks of relocation. Nothing fruitful, but there'd be talks.
Jun. 19, 2023 at 7:13 p.m.

All fair. One question. Is there a middle ground? Do we have to sit and wait for picks? Or can we weaponize some assets to accelerate. The above roster - which in the description is described as unlikely. But even in this plan the Wings have a ton of premium picks and prospects. They’re not all going to hit and consistent losing takes its toll. If not this, what would you recommend they do to get more competitive next season? Or would you do nothing and let it slowly build? Respect that if so but I am just too impatient
Jun. 19, 2023 at 7:15 p.m.
All fair. One question. Is there a middle ground? Do we have to sit and wait for picks? Or can we weaponize some assets to accelerate. The above roster - which in the description is described as unlikely. But even in this plan the Wings have a ton of premium picks and prospects. They’re not all going to hit and consistent losing takes its toll. If not this, what would you recommend they do to get more competitive next season? Or would you do nothing and let it slowly build? Respect that if so but I am just too impatient

Look at my profile, find my last three AGMs I posted today. That is literally my whole goal in them. Get some winning culture. Can't be giving up premium assets for older players that won't be as effective when we are trying to contend and cost more than they are worth
Jun. 19, 2023 at 7:16 p.m.
Quoting: Lancebmx
Look at my profile, find my last three AGMs I posted today. That is literally my whole goal in them. Get some winning culture. Can't be giving up premium assets for older players that won't be as effective when we are trying to contend and cost more than they are worth

Cool I’ll check them out
Jun. 19, 2023 at 7:19 p.m.
Joe

I certainly do think there's a middle ground, and we may be on it. Do I think it's wise to ship out Edvinsson? Hell no. I wouldn't even ship out Wallinder. Our prospects are fantastic, but more importantly, their roles for this team are clear. We lack grit? Mazur, Kasper, Soderblom. We're horrible defensively? Edvinsson is undoubtedly going to be one of the best defensive defenseman in the league.
Wallinder was projected to be a low floor-high ceiling guy (with some saying a higher ceiling than Edvinsson, which is just insane when considering that Edvinsson's ceiling is already huge), and he looks to be hitting.
Our goaltending stinks? Cossa didn't look great, but he found his stride. He'll likely be an elite starter in a few years.

We haven't assessed goal-scoring and that's about it.

If you're asking me, I'd rather take a slow approach; typically gives a longer window than forcing your hand.
Wjdjdkf liked this.
Jun. 19, 2023 at 7:31 p.m.
I certainly do think there's a middle ground, and we may be on it. Do I think it's wise to ship out Edvinsson? Hell no. I wouldn't even ship out Wallinder. Our prospects are fantastic, but more importantly, their roles for this team are clear. We lack grit? Mazur, Kasper, Soderblom. We're horrible defensively? Edvinsson is undoubtedly going to be one of the best defensive defenseman in the league.
Wallinder was projected to be a low floor-high ceiling guy (with some saying a higher ceiling than Edvinsson, which is just insane when considering that Edvinsson's ceiling is already huge), and he looks to be hitting.
Our goaltending stinks? Cossa didn't look great, but he found his stride. He'll likely be an elite starter in a few years.

We haven't assessed goal-scoring and that's about it.

If you're asking me, I'd rather take a slow approach; typically gives a longer window than forcing your hand.

Understood. My experience on this website is fans overvalue their own prospects. If I can get a top 4 dman that’s 26 and playing 20+ minutes a night and a 28 year old center who’s floor is 20 goals and scored 40 two years ago, I’m gonna go get em.

Keep in mind with your window analogy, that there’s two sides to that analogy. For example, Larkin’s in his prime now. Isn’t there an equal argument to be using that to its full potential. Especially with the war chest of picks and prospects.

Suppose Servelli is wrong and it is Begerren needed to make Debrincat deal? Do you make it. Or just hope he gets his 40 goal season before Larkin is on the wrong side of 30…

I’m not sure just asking
Jun. 19, 2023 at 7:34 p.m.
Joe
Understood. My experience on this website is fans overvalue their own prospects. If I can get a top 4 dman that’s 26 and playing 20+ minutes a night and a 28 year old center who’s floor is 20 goals and scored 40 two years ago, I’m gonna go get em.

Keep in mind with your window analogy, that there’s two sides to that analogy. For example, Larkin’s in his prime now. Isn’t there an equal argument to be using that to its full potential. Especially with the war chest of picks and prospects.

Suppose Servelli is wrong and it is Begerren needed to make Debrincat deal? Do you make it. Or just hope he gets his 40 goal season before Larkin is on the wrong side of 30…

I’m not sure just asking

Out of the pieces I'd be willing to trade to get DeBrincat; I'd do Berggren. He's a decent player; more than I think I realize, but other than his offensive capabilities he doesn't bring much else.
Mazur, for example, is a good goalscorer; but he's also defensively responsible. Also, more importantly, can throw around his body.
You don't get that from Berggren and you won't get that from DeBrincat.
Wjdjdkf liked this.
Jun. 19, 2023 at 8:26 p.m.
Edvinnson is one of the best D prospects outside of the NHL, so the return would have to be very high. I can't see 2 guys on expiring contracts being the guys that Steve would trade Edvinsson for, even with extensions becoming part of the package. Steve is going to start eating cap up with Seider and Raymond needing contracts soon, along with Larkin's extension kicking in. Lindholm and Hanifin would be in the Larkin range (7-8.5m) with term. A lot of money for 5 guys when your primary issue is depth.

CGY only does this if they are going to go full rebuild. Might has well sell Huberdeau, Toffoli, Backlund, Kadri, et al at the same time. Don't think Conroy is there yet.
Jun. 19, 2023 at 9:38 p.m.
Quoting: TMarch
Edvinnson is one of the best D prospects outside of the NHL, so the return would have to be very high. I can't see 2 guys on expiring contracts being the guys that Steve would trade Edvinsson for, even with extensions becoming part of the package. Steve is going to start eating cap up with Seider and Raymond needing contracts soon, along with Larkin's extension kicking in. Lindholm and Hanifin would be in the Larkin range (7-8.5m) with term. A lot of money for 5 guys when your primary issue is depth.

CGY only does this if they are going to go full rebuild. Might has well sell Huberdeau, Toffoli, Backlund, Kadri, et al at the same time. Don't think Conroy is there yet.

Some great points. But I think Detroit’s biggest issue is top end NHL talent. Harder to find that via draft and free agency. Adding two 40 goal scorers and a top four D man should make this team competitive today and moving forward.

Hanifin wants out of Calgary and the rumor mill is swirling? Is there any package Calgary could create to make this work? Would Wallinder be enough going the other way. Trying to be realistic. Conroe isn’t an idiot and you have to give to get. Edvidsson looks like a blue chip prospect and you’d need that to make a deal liek this work.

And yes as stated obviously dependent on ability to sign long term.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll