Initial Creation Date: Jun. 27, 2023
Published: Jun. 27, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Trades
OTT
  1. 2023 2nd round pick (DET)
  2. 2023 3rd round pick (DET)
Additional Details:
Understanding the circumstances surrounding the Red Wings acquiring Alex DeBrincat for a mere second-round pick in the 2023 NHL Entry Draft requires an appreciation of three key factors that unfortunately, for Senators' fans, make this situation a stinging testament to Ottawa's shortcomings.

Firstly, DeBrincat's explicit desire to play for his hometown Detroit was well-publicized, severely limiting the Senators' negotiation power. This led to a situation where the Red Wings effectively dictated the terms of the trade. If Ottawa had demonstrated more proactive roster management, they could have negotiated better terms before DeBrincat's allegiance became such a public affair.

Secondly, the brilliance of the Red Wings' front office should not be overlooked. They recognized an opportunity to exploit a unique situation, and took advantage of it. They snagged a top-tier talent at a cut-rate price. The Senators' inability to navigate this tricky situation shows a lack of strategic foresight.

Lastly, this trade highlights the unfortunate reality of the Senators' current standing within the league. The best players want to play for the best teams, and DeBrincat's decision to push for a move to Detroit is an implicit statement on the comparative prestige and competitiveness of the two organizations.

In the end, this trade might be seen as a painful yet necessary lesson for the Senators. It's a reminder that in the cutthroat world of the NHL, strategic acumen, reputation, and timing are paramount. As much as it hurts now, perhaps it will spur changes that will prevent similar situations from arising in the future.
DET
  1. DeBrincat, Alex [RFA Rights]
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the NSH
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
11$83,500,000$66,424,047$0$1,850,000$17,075,953
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Ottawa Senators
$8,205,714$8,205,714
LW
UFA - 5
$8,350,000$8,350,000
C
UFA - 8
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RW, C
NMC
UFA - 2
$2,950,000$2,950,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$835,000$835,000
C, RW
RFA - 2
$4,975,000$4,975,000
RW, LW
UFA - 4
$762,500$762,500
LW
RFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$8,000,000$8,000,000
LD
UFA - 5
$4,600,000$4,600,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$4,600,000$4,600,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$1,850,000$2M)
LD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$7,950,000$7,950,000
C
UFA - 7
$2,750,000$2,750,000
G
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jun. 27, 2023 at 4:09 p.m.
Apparently picks might not even have to be involved. But I think the reality is it'll probably be the 17thOA for Cat straight up. Ottawa can use that 17thOA and flip it for somebody else to aid their push for contention.

I don't know how true this report is, but apparently Detroit already offered the 17thOA, one of the three seconds, and Zadina for Cat.
I think that will be the max Ottawa is getting.
Jun. 27, 2023 at 4:09 p.m.
I can only hope that's the trade. But any confirmed sources stating this is the return?
Jun. 27, 2023 at 4:10 p.m.
Yzerman has got Dorion with the ‘ol three move checkmate
Jun. 27, 2023 at 4:10 p.m.
Quoting: Ennis
Apparently picks might not even have to be involved. But I think the reality is it'll probably be the 17thOA for Cat straight up. Ottawa can use that 17thOA and flip it for somebody else to aid their push for contention.

I don't know how true this report is, but apparently Detroit already offered the 17thOA, one of the three seconds, and Zadina for Cat.
I think that will be the max Ottawa is getting.

Ottawa will not be receiving a first-round pick for Debrincat whatsoever. In all honesty, he should, I agree. But he won't.
Jun. 27, 2023 at 4:11 p.m.
Quoting: ImAlwaysRightYoureAlwaysWrong
Ottawa will not be receiving a first-round pick for Debrincat whatsoever. In all honesty, he should, I agree. But he won't.

I hope that's the case. Then all the Sens fans can stop gaslighting me into thinking it'll cost the 15thOA and Tomasino.
Jun. 27, 2023 at 4:13 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
They never should've traded for him in the first place, like the Talbot trade Idk WTF Dorion was thinking.
Jun. 27, 2023 at 4:15 p.m.
Future Norris guy
Quoting: Lancebmx
I can only hope that's the trade. But any confirmed sources stating this is the return?

Take it with a grain of salt, But Frank Seravalli mentioned it a few days ago. Pretty much mentioned Detroit 2nds and Zadina.
Jun. 27, 2023 at 4:16 p.m.
Quoting: MoSeider53
Take it with a grain of salt, But Frank Seravalli mentioned it a few days ago. Pretty much mentioned Detroit 2nds and Zadina.

All of their seconds or just a second from Detroit? We will find out tomorrow if not tonight anyways lol.
Jun. 27, 2023 at 4:18 p.m.
Future Norris guy
All of their seconds or just a second from Detroit? We will find out tomorrow if not tonight anyways lol.

No i'd imagine one or possibly two, Depending on the circumstance.
Jun. 27, 2023 at 4:22 p.m.
The next suggestion is Cat for Zadina straight up.
Jun. 27, 2023 at 4:23 p.m.
If this is the price, I’ll be thrilled. And Yzerman can win the GM of the year award on the 1st day of the season lol
Jun. 27, 2023 at 4:23 p.m.
Bro doesn't know what he's talking about. if that's the only return we get we're simply going to keep him or trade him somewhere else. There's no way we're trading a 40 goal scorer to a division rival for a second and third. Did you not see what WPG got for Dubois? they had no leverage and still fleeced LA.
sensonfire and BelleVegas liked this.
Jun. 27, 2023 at 4:25 p.m.
Quoting: Neptune12
Bro doesn't know what he's talking about. if that's the only return we get we're simply going to keep him or trade him somewhere else. There's no way we're trading a 40 goal scorer to a division rival for a second and third. Did you not see what WPG got for Dubois? they had no leverage and still fleeced LA.

Has Dubois been traded yet? I also agree that I think they get a better return as a rental.
Jun. 27, 2023 at 4:31 p.m.
Has Dubois been traded yet? I also agree that I think they get a better return as a rental.

If we don't get a good return we keep him and trade him a the TDL for so much more. There's so many options we can do to get a much better return than this random leafs fan thinks.
sensonfire liked this.
Jun. 27, 2023 at 4:32 p.m.

Fleeced? Look, I'm not big on PLD but that's not a fleece. There wasn't even a first involved.
Kupari is 23 and underperforming, expendable.
Sucks to have Iafallo go, but he's a cap dump for the trade and also expendable.
It's basically Vilardi and a 2024 second for PLD. Not really a fleece.

Cat won't sign a QO and he's not getting moved for a haul. I suggested the 17thOA max.
Jun. 27, 2023 at 4:35 p.m.
For
Quoting: ImAlwaysRightYoureAlwaysWrong

For your guys sake and Dorions, he better get a first rounder. That would be woah
Jun. 27, 2023 at 4:44 p.m.
Fleeced? Look, I'm not big on PLD but that's not a fleece. There wasn't even a first involved.
Kupari is 23 and underperforming, expendable.
Sucks to have Iafallo go, but he's a cap dump for the trade and also expendable.
It's basically Vilardi and a 2024 second for PLD. Not really a fleece.

Cat won't sign a QO and he's not getting moved for a haul. I suggested the 17thOA max.

Vilardi scored 23 in 63 games. Dubois scored 27 in 73. Laffalo 14 in 59 (not very good but still a good depth asset. Vilardi is a 30 goal scorer in a full season just like Dubois he doesn't have a Diva attitude. + add the second and Kupari for good measure.

Dorion Just stated he's not looking for a first round pick. and were not trading a 40 goal scorer to a division rival for 1 mid first round pick. We will trade him to Dallas or Nashville way before that.
sensonfire liked this.
Jun. 27, 2023 at 4:45 p.m.
Quoting: mmccRed198913
For

For your guys sake and Dorions, he better get a first rounder. That would be woah

the guy saying this stuff is a leafs fan that's all you need to know.
sensonfire liked this.
Jun. 27, 2023 at 4:57 p.m.
Vilardi scored 23 in 63 games. Dubois scored 27 in 73. Laffalo 14 in 59 (not very good but still a good depth asset. Vilardi is a 30 goal scorer in a full season just like Dubois he doesn't have a Diva attitude. + add the second and Kupari for good measure.

Dorion Just stated he's not looking for a first round pick. and were not trading a 40 goal scorer to a division rival for 1 mid first round pick. We will trade him to Dallas or Nashville way before that.

You're leaving out that his shooting% fell to earth once he stopped playing with Kane and only scored 27. That's going to change his value. Ottawa is in a brutal situation with Cat and they don't have a whole lot of leverage. He likely doesn't get the return you think.
Jun. 27, 2023 at 5:14 p.m.
You're leaving out that his shooting% fell to earth once he stopped playing with Kane and only scored 27. That's going to change his value. Ottawa is in a brutal situation with Cat and they don't have a whole lot of leverage. He likely doesn't get the return you think.

That's not the reason he only got 27g this season. Norris our #1 centre got hurt at the beginning of the season and forced Debrincat to play with a struggling rookie in Pinto for centre. Don't forget his TOI also dropped and his PP time also dropped because he's not the only one that can put the puck in the back of the net anymore. It has nothing to do with Debrincat struggling. Ottawa is in a better situation with Cat than WPG was with Dubois. Dubois requested a trade. Debrincat has not requested a trade he just doesn't want a long term contract. Your head is in the gutter man instead of listening to all these ACGM listen to the GM's and insiders. Detroit isn't the only team interested yet you guys act like it's the only option. Dallas, NSH, CAR, WSH can all make a better offer than what these redwings and now leafs fans think. If Dorion makes a trade with Detroit and gets the return Detroit fans think they'll get he deserves to be fired asap.
Jun. 27, 2023 at 5:17 p.m.
That's not the reason he only got 27g this season. Norris our #1 centre got hurt at the beginning of the season and forced Debrincat to play with a struggling rookie in Pinto for centre. Don't forget his TOI also dropped and his PP time also dropped because he's not the only one that can put the puck in the back of the net anymore. It has nothing to do with Debrincat struggling. Ottawa is in a better situation with Cat than WPG was with Dubois. Dubois requested a trade. Debrincat has not requested a trade he just doesn't want a long term contract. Your head is in the gutter man instead of listening to all these ACGM listen to the GM's and insiders. Detroit isn't the only team interested yet you guys act like it's the only option. Dallas, NSH, CAR, WSH can all make a better offer than what these redwings and now leafs fans think. If Dorion makes a trade with Detroit and gets the return Detroit fans think they'll get he deserves to be fired asap.

"The Senators general manager said there's been a large amount of trade talks, but does not expect to be able to land a first-round pick before Wednesday night"

So... what exactly puts my head in the gutter? I suggested moving the 17thOA for Cat and that's likely going to be MORE than what he gets. Him saying that completely negates all leverage and ANY leverage he had left in a Cat trade.
Jun. 27, 2023 at 5:22 p.m.
"The Senators general manager said there's been a large amount of trade talks, but does not expect to be able to land a first-round pick before Wednesday night"

So... what exactly puts my head in the gutter? I suggested moving the 17thOA for Cat and that's likely going to be MORE than what he gets. Him saying that completely negates all leverage and ANY leverage he had left in a Cat trade.

Send me the Link where he said that LOL in his Media availability TODAY at 1pm ET he said he doesn't want a first round pick he wants players that's a big Difference.
Jun. 27, 2023 at 5:25 p.m.
Send me the Link where he said that LOL in his Media availability TODAY at 1pm ET he said he doesn't want a first round pick he wants players that's a big Difference.

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/ottawa-senators-gm-pierre-dorion-dj-smith-to-return-looking-to-deal-alex-debrincat-1.1977953
Jun. 27, 2023 at 5:35 p.m.
https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/ottawa-senators-gm-pierre-dorion-dj-smith-to-return-looking-to-deal-alex-debrincat-1.1977953

that was written by "a TSN staff" and its wrong he never said that. https://youtu.be/wjbLKFxxL1A
Jun. 27, 2023 at 5:35 p.m.
Can someone name one elite move this Detroit FO has made? The Chiarot signing? The Copp signing? The Yzerman d*ck riding is crazy tears of joy
Ennis, Neptune12, Xspyrit and 1 other person liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll