Forums/Armchair-GM

JBB should be fired

Created by: LordStanlersCup
Team: 2023-24 Tampa Bay Lightning
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 28, 2023
Published: Jun. 28, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
This may be a hot take but JBB should be fired, not only that but I believe he may be the worst GM in the league. In my opinion he has overpayed/ undersold in almost every trade he has done in the moment the trade was done(besides the JT miller, nick paul, and eyssimont trades). I am going to go over every move of JBB that I did not like since becoming the Lightnings GM.

1) Trading Connor Ingram- Ingram was a former 3rd round pick that was developing nicely in the AHL coming off of a 0.914%svg at 20 years old and 0.922%svg at 21 years old and was then shortly traded in the offseason for a 2021 7th. Ingram is now proving that he is a capable backup at the NHL level and could possibly even have a higher ceiling as he just posted a 0.907%svg in Arizona last season and having that incredible shutout against the lightning.
2) Coleman trade- While the Coleman trade did end up working out, it has to be said that JBB extremely overpaid for Coleman. The lightning traded Vancouvers 2021 1st and Nolan Foote (selected 27th OA just months prior) for Blake Coleman. While we did get Coleman for 2 years at $1,800,000, I can guarentee you that no other team would have been in the running that would have been paying anything close to what was essentially 2 1st round picks for Blake Coleman.
3) Goodrow trade- Much like the Coleman trade, it did end up working out in the end but at the time of the trade paying a 2020 1st for Goodrow and a 3rd was a massive overpay even considering that Goodrow was locked up to $925,000 for 2 seasons. I can guarentee you that no other GM gave an offer for Goodrow that was even close to that. Unnecessary overspending seems to be a common pattern throughout Brisebois trades.
4) Savard trade- I wont complain about this trade too much as it wasn't a massive overpay but I still would not have done the trade personally. I think there was better options available for a cheaper price.
5) Chrona trade- I am not sure if there is something I am missing with this one but Chrona is a young promising goaltender that put up a 0.920%svg at the age of 19 with the university of Denver and also put up a 0.907%svg the following season and was traded for Fredrik Claesson who was an older fringe NHLer who played a total of 11 games with the lightning and is now playing in the KHL at the age of 30.
6) Hagel trade- Paying a 2023 1st and 2024 1st AND raddysh and Katchouk was a massive overpay for hagel at the time of the trade and would still be considered an overpay even now after the breakout year that hagel has had. 2 1st round picks would have been enough to get a bonafide elite player or a highly touted prospect on an ELC, hagel was neither of those at the time of the trade, he was a promising up and coming player that was playing on a line with Patrick Kane. There is 0% chance that anyone came close to offering 2 1sts for hagel and JBB throwing on raddysh and katchouk just proved to me that he is either getting bluffed by these GMs so hard or that he just does not care about prospects and what he has to give up to get the player he wants. Raddysh had one bad season with the lighting but all other signs pointed towards him being a promising NHLer (sorta like Koepke), and I bet you that he was added in without Davidson even asking for him.
7) Jeannot trade- Im not even going to comment on this one, unless jeannot turns into Tom Wilson, this was a disaster
8)Cole Guttman- There has to be something that I am missing on this one. Why was Guttman not offered a ELC? He was an extremely promising prospect at the University of Denver putting up over a ppg in his last season and now he looks like a promsing project for the Blackhawks. Why?
9)Carter Verhaeghe- This one I am on the fence about because he showed all the signs of an NHL talent in Syracuse but did not play well in his first season on tampa and had a pretty big sample size. This one might be on Cooper but still I think he would have deserved at least one more season of testing out to make sure that he was a bust kinda like how they need to give ABB one more shot to make sure that he is a bust.
10) Colton trade- This trade made no sense, they are not going to sign a player capable of playing in the top 6 for $3.5AAV (brown and pacioretty are wishful thinking with some risk) and if Killorn resigns for that it was still a terrible trade because colton is way younger and has more potential to grow where as killorn is going to start seeing some decline soon. They should have been able to give colton 3.5 and if he was asking for more then let it go to arbitration, seriously how did this happen. Also I would have accepted a pick in the range of 25-32 but 37 is just not enough for what colton provides and what he could become. I dont care what colton resigns at because no matter what they should have been able to make it work in tampa.
11)Amir Miftakhov- Why was his contract terminated? He has put up promising numbers besides one bad season in syracuse, what did the lightning gain from terminating the contract and do they still have his signing rights? Did he not want to play in North America?
12) Samuel Walker- Another case of a promising College player that was putting up close to a point per game numbers and we did not offer him a ELC. Maybe he did not want to play in tampa? Well anyway he had a great year in the AHL and had some ice time in the NHL with Minnesota last season.
13) McDonagh trade- I get that we had to get rid of McDonagh but why did we have to take Philppe myers going back the other way who was 1.4 mil in cap and had no potential. JBB is so dumb for giving him an extension, we had to bury him in the minors and now we are going to have to pay to get rid of him.

Let me know if I am missing anything but all around just terrible moves pretty much since he was hired.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
4$2,000,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$775,000
1$775,000
1$850,000
4$3,500,000
Trades
TBL
    Future Considerations
    ARI
    1. Myers, Philippe
    2. 2024 6th round pick (TBL)
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the TBL
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the TBL
    Logo of the TBL
    Logo of the TBL
    Logo of the TBL
    Logo of the TBL
    Logo of the TBL
    Logo of the TBL
    Logo of the TBL
    Logo of the TBL
    Logo of the TBL
    Logo of the TBL
    Logo of the TBL
    Logo of the TBL
    Logo of the TBL
    Logo of the TBL
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    22$83,500,000$83,290,833$0$82,500$209,167
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Tampa Bay Lightning
    $8,500,000$8,500,000
    LW, C
    NMC
    UFA - 1
    $9,500,000$9,500,000
    C, RW
    NMC
    UFA - 7
    $9,500,000$9,500,000
    RW
    NMC
    UFA - 4
    $1,500,000$1,500,000
    LW
    UFA - 1
    $6,250,000$6,250,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 8
    $3,500,000$3,500,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 4
    $2,000,000$2,000,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 2
    $3,150,000$3,150,000
    C, LW
    NTC
    UFA - 6
    $800,000$800,000
    RW, C
    UFA - 2
    $820,000$820,000 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
    LW
    RFA - 1
    $775,000$775,000
    RW, C
    UFA - 1
    $758,333$758,333
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $8,500,000$8,500,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 8
    $5,200,000$5,200,000
    RD
    UFA - 8
    $9,500,000$9,500,000
    G
    NMC
    UFA - 5
    $7,875,000$7,875,000
    LD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $762,500$762,500
    RD
    UFA - 1
    $775,000$775,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    $850,000$850,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 1
    $1,125,000$1,125,000
    RD
    UFA - 2
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $800,000$800,000
    LW, RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $6,875,000$6,875,000
    RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $850,000$850,000
    RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Jun. 28, 2023 at 7:03 p.m.
    Yea, screw that guy and his back to back Stanley Cups.

sarcasm
    Jun. 28, 2023 at 7:05 p.m.
    Quoting: tkecanuck341
    Yea, screw that guy and his back to back Stanley Cups.

sarcasm

those were yzermans cups
    Jun. 28, 2023 at 7:10 p.m.
    Miss YA Killer
    Quoting: LordStanlersCup
    those were yzermans cups

Stop that's like saying the 2003 Buccaneers Superbowl is Tony Dungy's. Not sure Yzerman makes the miller move or the Coleman or Goodrow moves and without those three there are no back to back Cups
    Jun. 28, 2023 at 7:14 p.m.
    reading most of your explanation : most of the trades ended up working out for Tampa, you are complaining about the price paid (hint : if thats the price you had to pay, someone else was close second to pay it). that and a bunch of.minor leaguer who wont probably never play in the nhl. and the jeannot trade.... thats a yike for sure.

you will one day understand what itsclike to have a bad gm, not one who brought 2.cup and 3.finals in 4 years.
    Jun. 28, 2023 at 7:16 p.m.
    Quoting: Boltsradynasty
    Stop that's like saying the 2003 Buccaneers Superbowl is Tony Dungy's. Not sure Yzerman makes the miller move or the Coleman or Goodrow moves and without those three there are no back to back Cups

The miller move was obvious we did not have the cap to keep the team together and we was the obvious one who should be moved, also yes the coleman and goodrow moves would not have happend but we would have got different players and or maybe the same players but not at that cost if yzerman was the GM
    Jun. 28, 2023 at 7:18 p.m.
    The Coleman and Goodrow trades worked out fine, and while the cost was high, Tampa was also in a reported bidding war for both. Those 1sts wouldn't have helped, and JBB recognized two players that would solidify the middle 6. Most of the moves since then however, have been very questionable. Hagel at least has mostly been excellent, and the Paul trade has been solid,.but McD wasn't handled well, Jeannot so far is not looking great, and now not getting close to enough for Colton is another mistake.

I would've much rather either traded for a rental last tdl or done nothing, with the idea that the team would have allotted enough cap space for either one of Killorn or Colton 100%. By paying that price for Jeannot, Brisebois is now stuck, as he can't move Jeannot without looking even worse, and because of it, the money wasn't there apparently for Colton and it looks like possibly Killorn.

Yzerman did a lot of the building of the core, but JBB gets some credit for bringing some final key pieces. However, the majority of his moves have been overpays or not getting enough back, and, for a team in working from a "win now" mindset, some of the more recent trades simply make no sense. I wouldn't call for his firing just yet, but he is headed in that direction.
    Hawksguy81 liked this.
    Jun. 28, 2023 at 7:18 p.m.
    Quoting: drambui
    reading most of your explanation : most of the trades ended up working out for Tampa, you are complaining about the price paid (hint : if thats the price you had to pay, someone else was close second to pay it). that and a bunch of.minor leaguer who wont probably never play in the nhl. and the jeannot trade.... thats a yike for sure.

you will one day understand what itsclike to have a bad gm, not one who brought 2.cup and 3.finals in 4 years.

They only worked out because of the system put in place by Yzerman, the trades themselves were terrible. And I added like 3 minor leaguers that have potential on a list of 13 and did not even include some awful contracts extensions
    Jun. 28, 2023 at 7:20 p.m.
    Miss YA Killer
    The miller move was obvious we did not have the cap to keep the team together and we was the obvious one who should be moved, also yes the coleman and goodrow moves would not have happend but we would have got different players and or maybe the same players but not at that cost if yzerman was the GM

No I don't think so NJ wasn't going to let Coleman go unless it was in their interest. The second year cost extra completely disagree with your analysis of Coleman and Goodrow trades. Also not sure Yzerman takes the chance on Bogosian in 20
    Jun. 28, 2023 at 7:23 p.m.
    No I don't think so NJ wasn't going to let Coleman go unless it was in their interest. The second year cost extra completely disagree with your analysis of Coleman and Goodrow trades. Also not sure Yzerman takes the chance on Bogosian in 20

Im sorry but no team was coming close to what we paid for coleman and goodrow
    Jun. 28, 2023 at 7:25 p.m.
    Quoting: JTBF81
    The Coleman and Goodrow trades worked out fine, and while the cost was high, Tampa was also in a reported bidding war for both. Those 1sts wouldn't have helped, and JBB recognized two players that would solidify the middle 6. Most of the moves since then however, have been very questionable. Hagel at least has mostly been excellent, and the Paul trade has been solid,.but McD wasn't handled well, Jeannot so far is not looking great, and now not getting close to enough for Colton is another mistake.

I would've much rather either traded for a rental last tdl or done nothing, with the idea that the team would have allotted enough cap space for either one of Killorn or Colton 100%. By paying that price for Jeannot, Brisebois is now stuck, as he can't move Jeannot without looking even worse, and because of it, the money wasn't there apparently for Colton and it looks like possibly Killorn.

Yzerman did a lot of the building of the core, but JBB gets some credit for bringing some final key pieces. However, the majority of his moves have been overpays or not getting enough back, and, for a team in working from a "win now" mindset, some of the more recent trades simply make no sense. I wouldn't call for his firing just yet, but he is headed in that direction.

I agree that we should have traded the 1sts but I feel like we could have got a lot more back
    Jun. 28, 2023 at 7:27 p.m.
    Miss YA Killer
    Quoting: drambui

As a lightning fan while I love the man personally Phil was a lousy GM. Then there was the illiterate Jacques Demers. Rick Dudley was a mess. Jay Feaster did great especially considering he had a budget pre salary cap. Brian Lawton actually think if he's working for an ownership that actually has money would probably be pretty good. So we've had more than our fair share of GM issues.
    Jun. 28, 2023 at 7:32 p.m.
    Miss YA Killer
    Im sorry but no team was coming close to what we paid for coleman and goodrow

You know this how were you in NJ's war room at the 20 TDL? To think not a single other GM was close is pretty bold Statement considering the overpays at the TDL all the time.
    Jun. 28, 2023 at 7:43 p.m.
    Don't agree with your take on JBB as the GM. If the Colton trade was made so they could resign Killorn as you have here, then I'm good with the trade. If Killorn doesn't resign, then the deal is a big L for Tampa.

Unless JBB turns pick #37 into a 2nd line winger...
    Jun. 28, 2023 at 7:45 p.m.
    I agree that we should have traded the 1sts but I feel like we could have got a lot more back

I'd have to go back and look at the available players at the time, but I don't know how many were available back then that would have provided Tampa with the right cap hits and been there for two cup runs.
    Jun. 28, 2023 at 7:49 p.m.
    You know this how were you in NJ's war room at the 20 TDL? To think not a single other GM was close is pretty bold Statement considering the overpays at the TDL all the time.

let me ask you this, do you think any other team came close to what we were paying for jeannot, there is nothing for me not to believe JBB is guillible and easily bluffed/ scammed
    Jun. 28, 2023 at 7:50 p.m.
    I'd have to go back and look at the available players at the time, but I don't know how many were available back then that would have provided Tampa with the right cap hits and been there for two cup runs.

we could have gotten double retention on way better players for that price
    Jun. 28, 2023 at 7:52 p.m.
    Quoting: Hawksguy81
    Don't agree with your take on JBB as the GM. If the Colton trade was made so they could resign Killorn as you have here, then I'm good with the trade. If Killorn doesn't resign, then the deal is a big L for Tampa.

Unless JBB turns pick #37 into a 2nd line winger...

what did you disagree with about the post though in specific? Just the colton trade?
    Jun. 28, 2023 at 8:03 p.m.
    we could have gotten double retention on way better players for that price

For two years, that seems optimistic, especially with other teams interested.
    Jun. 28, 2023 at 8:09 p.m.
    For two years, that seems optimistic, especially with other teams interested.

for 2 1st rounds picks?
    Jun. 28, 2023 at 8:09 p.m.
    what did you disagree with about the post though in specific? Just the colton trade?

1. That JBB should be fired
    2. Bolts probably don't win either cup without Coleman and Goodrow on the 3rd line. It's never an overpay if your team hoists the Cup at season's end.
    3. Hagel for two 1sts is too early to call a mistake. Hagel is a very good player on a dirt cheap contract. Exactly what Tampa needed at the time. And the Bolts did get two 4ths back in that deal too. Seemingly fair payment for TRad and Katchouk at the time. As a Hawks fan as well, I wasn't crazy about giving up Hagel for two late 1sts. It has worked out in Hawks favor this far, but that's just bad puck luck for the Bolts. That was a solid deal for the Bolts.

Every GM swings and misses on trades. The Jeannot trade especially is a real head scratcher. Hard to argue w/ the results in Tampa since JBB became the GM.
    Jun. 28, 2023 at 8:13 p.m.
    for 2 1st rounds picks?

To have to pay the acquisition cost and pay for all the retention for an additional season, yeah, it wouldn't have been surprising.
    Jun. 28, 2023 at 8:15 p.m.
    Quoting: Hawksguy81
    1. That JBB should be fired
    2. Bolts probably don't win either cup without Coleman and Goodrow on the 3rd line. It's never an overpay if your team hoists the Cup at season's end.
    3. Hagel for two 1sts is too early to call a mistake. Hagel is a very good player on a dirt cheap contract. Exactly what Tampa needed at the time. And the Bolts did get two 4ths back in that deal too. Seemingly fair payment for TRad and Katchouk at the time. As a Hawks fan as well, I wasn't crazy about giving up Hagel for two late 1sts. It has worked out in Hawks favor this far, but that's just bad puck luck for the Bolts. That was a solid deal for the Bolts.

Every GM swings and misses on trades. The Jeannot trade especially is a real head scratcher. Hard to argue w/ the results in Tampa since JBB became the GM.

I disagree with the statement that its never an overpay if you win the cup, also I think the Yzerman was the GM he would have gotten comparable players to Coleman and Goodrow and we would have won the cup anyway. For hagel, unless he turns into a point a game player I think we lost the trade. Raddysh was worth way more than a 4th, he was a 2nd round pick and was developing nicely besides 1 bad season. Katchouk I also think was worth more than a 4th and yes hagels contract was cheap and he was young but they could have gotten a very good young player on an ELC for that price and they were not necessarily late 1sts like we have seen now... it was the 19th overall pick, obviously hindisight is 20/20 but he should have been able to get more and the results since JBB came in are from Yzerman you cannot convince me otherwise
    Jun. 28, 2023 at 8:16 p.m.
    torontos finest
    what losing one round to the maple morons does to a man
    Jun. 28, 2023 at 8:21 p.m.
    To have to pay the acquisition cost and pay for all the retention for an additional season, yeah, it wouldn't have been surprising.

yes im saying for actual bonafide eilte talent thats what it would have costed with retention back then, he should not have only been able to get coleman and goodrow.
    Jun. 28, 2023 at 8:22 p.m.
    Quoting: mondo
    what losing one round to the maple morons does to a man

i have thought this way since the goodrow and coleman trades and even after the cup wins

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll