UFA - 1
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$825,000$825,000
LD
RFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
RD
UFA
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$800,000$800,000
RD
UFA - 1
$3,125,000$3,125,000
RW, C
NMC
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333
C, LW
RFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jul. 4, 2023 at 12:11 p.m.
On the surface it looks like most of those deals have a chance, though I'm not super familiar with value/need for those teams. Columbus definitely accepts, and I don't see why not for Chicago or Toronto (Jarnkrok has a 10-team NT list, but I doubt Pittsburgh is on it).

It's hard to get a read on the Karlsson market, but I'm not sure there's enough to entice the Sharks to take that. Smith and the 1st are quality futures, but not so high quality that another team couldn't beat that bid.
Jul. 4, 2023 at 12:48 p.m.
spoiled penguins fan
Quoting: CaseyFlyman
On the surface it looks like most of those deals have a chance, though I'm not super familiar with value/need for those teams. Columbus definitely accepts, and I don't see why not for Chicago or Toronto (Jarnkrok has a 10-team NT list, but I doubt Pittsburgh is on it).

It's hard to get a read on the Karlsson market, but I'm not sure there's enough to entice the Sharks to take that. Smith and the 1st are quality futures, but not so high quality that another team couldn't beat that bid.

Well it may be there only option and I’m sure we could spice up the deal to their liking, I get the sense Carolina is out of it or at least less interested and as for Seattle, Karlsson just doesn’t fit their timeline at all. That leaves us as the last option and we take advantage of that with our leverage. I think a lot of people are going to be surprised when he’s dealt because it’s not gonna be near what people think it will be whether people want to hear it that way or not. We have seen it time and time again in situations like this.
Jul. 4, 2023 at 12:56 p.m.
Hawks might consider that
Pensman69 liked this.
Jul. 4, 2023 at 12:57 p.m.
I like it. Assume Petry gets flipped to another team. I think that's what the holdup has been. If the insiders are right....
Pensman69 liked this.
Jul. 4, 2023 at 12:58 p.m.
spoiled penguins fan
Quoting: Hawksguy81
Hawks might consider that

Think they’d consider it a lot actually
Jul. 4, 2023 at 12:59 p.m.
spoiled penguins fan
Quoting: PensGMwannabe
I like it. Assume Petry gets flipped to another team. I think that's what the holdup has been. If the insiders are right....

Realistically, where does this team finish in the playoffs?

And yea as for Petry, if it’s not San Jose then where the HELL is he going? Because there’s no question either him or Granlund or both HAVE to be moved to get us under the cap.
Jul. 4, 2023 at 1:18 p.m.
Quoting: Pensman69
Well it may be there only option and I’m sure we could spice up the deal to their liking, I get the sense Carolina is out of it or at least less interested and as for Seattle, Karlsson just doesn’t fit their timeline at all. That leaves us as the last option and we take advantage of that with our leverage. I think a lot of people are going to be surprised when he’s dealt because it’s not gonna be near what people think it will be whether people want to hear it that way or not. We have seen it time and time again in situations like this.

You're probably exactly right about this. The one other factor though is that Grier might see keeping Karlsson as a legitimate option, especially if they're retaining a whole Jeff Carter for 4 more years. Right now that cap space alone could cost as much as a 2nd or 3rd. A potential future buyout doesn't change that cap hit too much, so that's something to consider and then promptly forget about.
Pensman69 liked this.
Jul. 4, 2023 at 1:19 p.m.
spoiled penguins fan
@pensfan21 thoughts on this team? I personally think this is the best ACGM and quite the most realistic one I’ve made recently for our current scenario. Let me know your thoughts
Jul. 4, 2023 at 1:28 p.m.
Maybe EK doesn’t end up fetching much but outside of that first there’s not much in that offer. Mostly meh pieces or cap dumps
Jul. 4, 2023 at 1:36 p.m.
If we were talking the TDL or next summer, CHI maybe considers that.
PaulKorea liked this.
Jul. 4, 2023 at 2:18 p.m.
spoiled penguins fan
Quoting: vikhodush
Maybe EK doesn’t end up fetching much but outside of that first there’s not much in that offer. Mostly meh pieces or cap dumps

A above average backup goalie on a cheap contract, a top 4 veteran defenseman for their rebuild going the other way in Petry, a serviceable bottom 4dman in Rutta, a young defenseman with upside and potential to still be had.

All are quality pieces and assets that fit San Jose’s agenda. None of those players are “cap dumps” per say *IN THIS TRADE* and when you’re trading for a guy making north of $10m there just has to be enough cap going back the other way one way or another. Petry probably has more value in this trade then some if not most speculate.
Jul. 4, 2023 at 2:25 p.m.
A above average backup goalie on a cheap contract, a top 4 veteran defenseman for their rebuild going the other way in Petry, a serviceable bottom 4dman in Rutta, a young defenseman with upside and potential to still be had.

All are quality pieces and assets that fit San Jose’s agenda. None of those players are “cap dumps” per say *IN THIS TRADE* and when you’re trading for a guy making north of $10m there just has to be enough cap going back the other way one way or another. Petry probably has more value in this trade then some if not most speculate.

Idk how to handicap the value on an EK trade to be honest. But none of those pieces have much actual value for a rebuilding team. Sure they might be able to flip some at TDL for mid to late picks but that’s not that enticing. Not saying this offer would be rejected, just that there’s not much in it.

A backup goalie, an overpaid and aging dman, a d prospect that hasn’t shown much and at this point is unlikely to be anything close to an impact player, a bottom pair d..that’s how I see it.
Jul. 5, 2023 at 7:56 a.m.
pensfan21 thoughts on this team? I personally think this is the best ACGM and quite the most realistic one I’ve made recently for our current scenario. Let me know your thoughts

I like it. Roslovic is a good option for 3C. Good to get more youth in the lineup. The only thing is I personally am not super confident Nylander would hold up in the top 6. But I would be very happy with this lineup to start the season. It's definitely a playoff team. My thoughts are just focus on making it a sure playoff team now then at the deadline make the changes to make it a contender. A top 6 or third line wing upgrade is for sure something we can do at deadline. Overall though I really like this team. Fingers crossed for a Karlsson trade today
Pensman69 liked this.
Jul. 5, 2023 at 9:26 a.m.
spoiled penguins fan
Quoting: pensfan21
I like it. Roslovic is a good option for 3C. Good to get more youth in the lineup. The only thing is I personally am not super confident Nylander would hold up in the top 6. But I would be very happy with this lineup to start the season. It's definitely a playoff team. My thoughts are just focus on making it a sure playoff team now then at the deadline make the changes to make it a contender. A top 6 or third line wing upgrade is for sure something we can do at deadline. Overall though I really like this team. Fingers crossed for a Karlsson trade today

Hopeful as ever that the deal gets done for him, and I think in response to your comment on Nylander, I think his upside is top 6 or middle 6 winger simply because of what he is capable of doing on the offensive side of the puck. Though the defense is lackluster so putting him on a line with Malkin may not be the smartest move. But if you want to keep Malkin producing for an extra year or 2 then he should do that with more then enough offensive fire power around him and guys that he can trust that will get back for him.

Also I’ve been thinking of the deadline lately and one thing that concerns me that it seems no one has brought up is, how the HELL are we going to be able to make a significant move at the deadline when we are going into the season with no money to spare. Sure you can bank in LTIR and guys being injured but if we are rolling and we are in say 2nd and 3rd in the Metro and have a healthy team going for us, then I can’t see how we are going to be able to add any more cap space on to the roster? And it’s not like we are going to have an extra $1m or a number we can work with. We are literally going to be TO THE CAP HIT. That’s just my concerns for the tdl atm
Jul. 5, 2023 at 11:05 a.m.
Hopeful as ever that the deal gets done for him, and I think in response to your comment on Nylander, I think his upside is top 6 or middle 6 winger simply because of what he is capable of doing on the offensive side of the puck. Though the defense is lackluster so putting him on a line with Malkin may not be the smartest move. But if you want to keep Malkin producing for an extra year or 2 then he should do that with more then enough offensive fire power around him and guys that he can trust that will get back for him.

Also I’ve been thinking of the deadline lately and one thing that concerns me that it seems no one has brought up is, how the HELL are we going to be able to make a significant move at the deadline when we are going into the season with no money to spare. Sure you can bank in LTIR and guys being injured but if we are rolling and we are in say 2nd and 3rd in the Metro and have a healthy team going for us, then I can’t see how we are going to be able to add any more cap space on to the roster? And it’s not like we are going to have an extra $1m or a number we can work with. We are literally going to be TO THE CAP HIT. That’s just my concerns for the tdl atm

I think it just depends how the season plays out and who plays well/dosen't. Trade deadline will be a completely different market than this offseason. Granlund's contract will be only for another year at that point, Rust's NMC will expire in the summer so the months there might not make a huge difference, Eller might not pan out and could be available. Maybe Rutta/Petry aren't traded by that point. There will be a lot of options to clear up cap space. I feel like no good teams usually have a ton of money to spend but they make it work.
Pensman69 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll