SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Trade Machine Proposals

If Pettersson wanted out of Vancouver

Created by: nashthesecond
Published: Jul. 15, 2023 at 3:49 p.m.
Salary Cap: $83,500,000
Season Days: 185/186 (99%)
Central Registry Determination: This trade has been rejected because the upper limit has been exceeded by one of the trade parties

Logo of the Columbus Blue JacketsColumbus Blue Jackets

OutStatusRetained SalaryEffective Cap HitRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Laine, PatrikColumbus Blue JacketsNHL-$8,653,226011---0000--
Boqvist, AdamColumbus Blue JacketsNHL-$2,586,022011---0000--
Knazko, SamuelWaivers ExemptColumbus Blue JacketsMinor-$0011---0000--
Sillinger, ColeWaivers ExemptColumbus Blue JacketsNHL-$920,027011---0000--
2024 1st round pick (Logo of the Columbus Blue JacketsCBJ)---100------
InStatusRetained SalaryEffective Cap HitRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Beauvillier, AnthonyVancouver CanucksNHL-$4,127,688011---0000--
Pettersson, EliasVancouver CanucksNHL-$7,310,484011---0000--
ChangeCap SpaceRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Initial$3,954,1672245633612
Change$721,103-1-2-2-100
Final$4,675,270 (↑)21 (↓)43 (↓)61 (↓)2 (↓)612000

Logo of the Vancouver CanucksVancouver Canucks

OutStatusRetained SalaryEffective Cap HitRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Beauvillier, AnthonyVancouver CanucksNHL-$4,127,688011---0000--
Pettersson, EliasVancouver CanucksNHL-$7,310,484011---0000--
InStatusRetained SalaryEffective Cap HitRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Laine, PatrikColumbus Blue JacketsNHL-$8,653,226011---0000--
Boqvist, AdamColumbus Blue JacketsNHL-$2,586,022011---0000--
Knazko, SamuelWaivers ExemptColumbus Blue JacketsMinor-$0011---0000--
Sillinger, ColeWaivers ExemptColumbus Blue JacketsNHL-$920,027011---0000--
2024 1st round pick (Logo of the Columbus Blue JacketsCBJ)---100------
ChangeCap SpaceRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Initial-$4,342,9172347703512
Change-$721,103122100
Final-$5,064,020 (↓)24 (↑)49 (↑)72 (↑)4 (↑)512000
Jul. 15, 2023 at 4:44 p.m.
Fire J.D. too
Take Laine and Beau out and sure...otherwise jackets are good
darthsummer liked this.
Jul. 15, 2023 at 4:46 p.m.
Quoting: PantsOffnJacket

I'm pretty sure VAN would be on Laine's 10 team NTC list
MoxNix and darthsummer liked this.
Jul. 15, 2023 at 6:17 p.m.
Canucks pass very easily
Hitagi_Senpai and Warpbox liked this.
Jul. 15, 2023 at 6:21 p.m.

You can keep Laine, Sillinger, and Boqvist and replace them with Fantilli and one of Jiricek/Johnson if you really want to have a chance at EP
Warpbox liked this.
Jul. 15, 2023 at 8:08 p.m.
Canucks sorta homer
Canucks decline. Not enough for who I argue is a top 10 center in the NHL right now.
Warpbox liked this.
Jul. 15, 2023 at 8:26 p.m.
Dolzhenkov Is Coming
Quoting: mv21227
You can keep Laine, Sillinger, and Boqvist and replace them with Fantilli and one of Jiricek/Johnson if you really want to have a chance at EP

Genuinely curious, what teams do you think that would be interested in Pettersson could come remotely close to that kind of offer?
nashthesecond liked this.
Jul. 15, 2023 at 8:42 p.m.
Fire J.D. too

Don't want him at all... Keep dreaming
MoxNix liked this.
Jul. 15, 2023 at 9:26 p.m.
Quoting: dk325
Genuinely curious, what teams do you think that would be interested in Pettersson could come remotely close to that kind of offer?

I think Buffalo, LA, Anaheim, NJ, Dallas, Detroit, Seattle, Minnesota, and Carolina could all make pretty strong offers. Not sure which of those teams would be interested. Some of those teams would have to offer more pieces than Columbus, but could still make competitive offers

The Canucks have no incentive to trade Pettersson. It would have to be a deal that’s too good to refuse for it to happen. He would be the most valuable trade piece in a very long time. More valuable than Eichel (requested a trade + needed neck surgery + not as good as Pettersson), Tkachuk (requested a trade and not a C), and Karlsson (28 year old pending UFA). He’s a 24 year old top 5-7 C that’s elite both offensively and defensively. You would have to give up a package that would hurt in order to get him. Could maybe negotiate Jiricek/Johnson down and add some other pieces, but Fantilli is the headline piece without a doubt
Jul. 15, 2023 at 9:28 p.m.
Don't want him at all... Keep dreaming

Not sure why you would have no interest at all in a 24 year old top 5-7C who put up 100 points and will likely be in the Selke discussion year after year, especially when he’d probably be the best player to ever play for your franchise, but you do you. We will gladly keep him
Jul. 15, 2023 at 10:00 p.m.
Dolzhenkov Is Coming
I think Buffalo, LA, Anaheim, NJ, Dallas, Detroit, Seattle, Minnesota, and Carolina could all make pretty strong offers. Not sure which of those teams would be interested. Some of those teams would have to offer more pieces than Columbus, but could still make competitive offers

The Canucks have no incentive to trade Pettersson. It would have to be a deal that’s too good to refuse for it to happen. He would be the most valuable trade piece in a very long time. More valuable than Eichel (requested a trade + needed neck surgery + not as good as Pettersson), Tkachuk (requested a trade and not a C), and Karlsson (28 year old pending UFA). He’s a 24 year old top 5-7 C that’s elite both offensively and defensively. You would have to give up a package that would hurt in order to get him. Could maybe negotiate Jiricek/Johnson down and add some other pieces, but Fantilli is the headline piece without a doubt

Common, I wanna hear players that you think those teams have that they'd be willing to part with and match up to a Fantilli + Johnson or Jiricek + a 1st package. Also remember, this is a scenario where Pettersson is refusing to sign next summer so the Canucks desire to trade him is inconsequential. This team is also gonna need to be able to fit an $11M+ extension in and need a 1C so cross teams like Dallas, LA, Minnesota, Buffalo, and NJ off the list.
Jul. 15, 2023 at 11:02 p.m.
Fire J.D. too
Edited Jul. 16, 2023 at 7:51 a.m.
Not sure why you would have no interest at all in a 24 year old top 5-7C who put up 100 points and will likely be in the Selke discussion year after year, especially when he’d probably be the best player to ever play for your franchise, but you do you. We will gladly keep him

No team is going to give a package like that, absolute pipe dream.

.... good luck with that.
nashthesecond and darthsummer liked this.
Jul. 17, 2023 at 7:17 a.m.
The Usual Suspects
Quoting: dk325
Common, I wanna hear players that you think those teams have that they'd be willing to part with and match up to a Fantilli + Johnson or Jiricek + a 1st package. Also remember, this is a scenario where Pettersson is refusing to sign next summer so the Canucks desire to trade him is inconsequential. This team is also gonna need to be able to fit an $11M+ extension in and need a 1C so cross teams like Dallas, LA, Minnesota, Buffalo, and NJ off the list.

If Petterson was on an ELC, then MAYBE you could get two of Johnson, Fantilli, Jiricek, ‘24 1st rounder. But with a cap hit of $7.8M, and moreover an upcoming QO of nearly $9M and all the leverage, his “value” is diminished in the current world where cap space is king, and will be even when escrow is paid off and the cap finally jumps.

Honestly, I don’t think the Jackets would do Fantilli straight up for Petterson, just given the economics. Jiricek or Kent Johnson 1-for-1 would give them pause. Now move past top 6 overall picks, or to guys where the clock has ticked further, and you have a discussion.

Sillinger fits the fabric of the team, but for Petterson, he’d be on the table. Teixier and Foudy, Peeke and Bean. Obviously Bemström—less proven, not going to build a trade around him, but upside in the right environment. Even guys with more term like Chinakov and Boqvist or even Coulemans and Mateychuk (likely not both together). Any of the youngsters with promise drafted in the third round or later (Svozil, Knazko, and OB Holm; Dumais, Malatesta, etc.). Quantity—and quantity with quality and degrees of upside—for Petterson would be the offer. And CBJ would be more apt to include their ‘25 or ‘26 first round pick than next year’s (and/or again quantity of later picks), but that wouldn’t be the deal-breaker.

Point is, in the NHL, the quality of the target player (in this case Petterson) is indeed the most important factor, but by no means the only one. Cap hit and remaining term are always in tue equation, significantly. DeBrincat and Dubois are the most recent of myriad examples. It’s on full display when the Coyotes (and now Flyers) get a still capable player and a second round pick for “future considerations,” but relevant among even top talent.

Think, what clubs—in a vacuum—wouldn’t want Ovechkin or Letang? Sure the “hang on and win now” teams would find a way and worry about the consequences later. But I’d wager that plenty of teams built for the future as much as the present would pass on both Ovi and Letang, even if they were on the waiver wire, simply due to the cost/hit on the back end of those deals as each approaches 40.

I am a huge fan of Petterson and as a clear CBJ supporter, I would love him on the squad. The franchise has a long history of getting the most out of guys with a slighter build, so that wouldn’t scare me away. I just know to compete—and compete well—they will need not just inexpensive role players but also a few elite pieces on ELCs or still under RFA contract control.
Jul. 17, 2023 at 8:28 p.m.
Quoting: darthsummer
Honestly, I don’t think the Jackets would do Fantilli straight up for Petterson, just given the economics. Jiricek or Kent Johnson 1-for-1 would give them pause. Now move past top 6 overall picks, or to guys where the clock has ticked further, and you have a discussion.

This is a bit extreme I think. Fanitilli makes sense of course given he's basically a 1st overall player and has all the team control and ELC. Jiricek definitely because of the long term need he fills that would be pretty underwhelmingly filled by Severson is he was moved. KJ though is too far. Super valuable and cheap of course, but compared to EP it's not even a debate. Top 10 center, even if he's gonna be expensive as hell soon. I love KJ and him being cheap is super nice, but a 5th overall pick that just had a very good rookie season <<< an established top 10 center in his prime.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll