SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Winnipeg Jets

Why is Kevin Cheveldayoff still a GM in this league?

Jul. 17, 2023 at 11:40 p.m.
wheelchair briere
Can anyone defend why Kevin Cheveldayoff should have the luxary of being a GM in this league? Aside from his track record, which is bad. Why do you think Maurice left this gong show? The hockey God's don't like the fact that they are letting this simmer in Winnipeg. It's almost like they've cursed themselves.

Bye Maurice.
Bye Wheeler.
Bye Dubois.

Soon followed by,

Bye Scheifele.
Bye Hellebuyck.
Jul. 24, 2023 at 4:40 p.m.
blb
Aug. 1, 2023 at 4:34 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
To answer your question.....I don't know why. Of course I don't why Poile of the Predators got so much love as a GM. He's accomplishments or lack of, would have got the other GMs fired many times over.
Aug. 2, 2023 at 8:18 a.m.
wheelchair briere
Seeing Winnipeg Jets fans defend this guy, it's almost like they've never had another GM. Winnipeg will never win anything with him as GM. Cheap, cheap, cheap.

Maurice in Florida, Wheeler in NY, and Dubois in L.A., are all trying for that cup now.

At some point these fans need to ask, why not us?
Sep. 9, 2023 at 9:44 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: Wilson_W_Wilson_Jr
Seeing Winnipeg Jets fans defend this guy, it's almost like they've never had another GM. Winnipeg will never win anything with him as GM. Cheap, cheap, cheap.

Maurice in Florida, Wheeler in NY, and Dubois in L.A., are all trying for that cup now.

At some point these fans need to ask, why not us?

I don't think the Jets are particularly cheap. They spend close to the cap. It's a tough getting great value since the Jets are not a preferred destinations for players. It's more geography than anything....poor travel, poor weather, isolated city.
Now why Chevy is still GM...don't know why. I never understood all the love for David Poile who survived 25 years with Preds, with different owners, despite having a poor record that would have got any other GM(s) fired four times over.
Isn't one of the owners of the Jets David Thomson, one of the richest guys in Canada?
Oct. 2, 2023 at 12:01 p.m.
Steve Durbano Fan
Because the Jets are run like a normal business, Cheveldayoff delivers profit for the owners so the on ice results do not matter. The team creates 5-10 million a season in profit and the value of the club has increased 10 fold since True North bought the Trashers. If you were the owner would you fire the GM who delivered on this. If the Jets had hockey mad owners it would be different .unfortunately for fans they have money mad owners instead
Oct. 2, 2023 at 2:24 p.m.
wheelchair briere
How many times has Winnipeg won a cup?

I mean, I can't speak for Winnipeg Jets fans, but the end goal is to win.

If GM's "want to avoid the hard decisions, you probably shouldn't have these jobs". - Vegas Golden Knights General Manager, and Stanley Cup Champion, Kelly McCrimmon.

Maybe the Jets and their fans could look at this from a fresh perspective of, we can do better than this. Or maybe they are happy and satisfied with the status quo.
Oct. 6, 2023 at 6:18 p.m.
Lets go fishing
How many times has Winnipeg won a cup?

I mean, I can't speak for Winnipeg Jets fans, but the end goal is to win.

If GM's "want to avoid the hard decisions, you probably shouldn't have these jobs". - Vegas Golden Knights General Manager, and Stanley Cup Champion, Kelly McCrimmon.

Maybe the Jets and their fans could look at this from a fresh perspective of, we can do better than this. Or maybe they are happy and satisfied with the status quo.

A third of the league has never won a cup. Unless you're counting the Jets twice because of Arizona, it's not exactly unusual for a team to not have a cup. The Jets cup drought is 29 seasons long (1979-80 through 1995-96 is 17 from the original Jets + 2011-12 through 2022-23 is 12 for Jets 2.0). This leaves them tied for 20th longest drought with the Canadiens and Panthers (also 29 seasons), and shorter than the rest of the Canadian teams (if you care about that sort of thing). Winning is obviously the ultimate goal, but only one team wins every year.

It's not like the Jets haven't been a successful organization since they've come back either. 5 playoff appearances since relocating from Atlanta (COVID play-in round doesn't count as playoffs IMO), 4 of which have been in the last 6 years. 3 round wins and one conference final appearance to boot. Even you have to admit that for a small market NHL team in a city where players don't want to live, that's pretty impressive.

Kevin Cheveldayoff was able to build a regular playoff team out of good drafting (except for Stanley and Vesalainen) and even better trades. I think Cheveldayoff is a GM who is thoughtful and makes the hard decisions when they need to be made. I don't agree with everything he's done, but he consistently provides a talented pool of players.

You really have to keep in mind that he's managing a team based in Winnipeg. He has a hand tied behind his back compared to other GMs in the league, he can't sign a free agent. Go and look, every meaningful Jets player was either drafted by the Jets or traded for. The biggest free agent signing the Jets have made since coming back is Mathieu Perreault back in 2014 and we had to pay $3mil to get him to come play here. All the other free agent signings are depth and fringe players just looking for a spot on any NHL roster. In short, Kevin Cheveldayoff has to give up assets to acquire basically any valuable player he didn't draft. The fact that he can extract every drop of value out of those assets is the only reason the Jets are any good whatsoever.

Some insane returns on Chevy trades that come to mind are:
- Laine and Roslovic -> PLD and a 3rd(Danil Zhilkin);
- PLD -> Vilardi, Iafallo, Kupari and a 2nd(2024);
- Trouba -> Pionk and a 1st(Ville Heinola);
- Andrew Copp and a 6th -> Barron, a 1st(Lambert), a 2nd(Salomonsson), and a 5th(Milic); [This one still baffles me that he got all that for Copp]
- Kane and Bogosian -> Joel Armia, Tyler Myers, Drew Stafford, Brendan Lemieux and a 1st (Roslovic)

Nearly all of these guys were leaving at the end of the year they were traded in (Bogosian got caught in the crossfire), and somehow Cheveldayoff extracted all that value from them.

And of course, I can't claim that Kevin does a good job bringing in players for assets without giving some examples:
- 2013 3rd and 5th -> Michael Frolik
- Erik Foley and 2018 1st -> Paul Stastny (the first time)
- 2019 6th -> Nathan Beaulieu (capable 7th guy for many years)
- 2020 7th -> Matt Hendricks (had to include the beauty)
- 2020 3rd -> Dylan DeMelo
- Carl Dahlström and a 2022 4th -> Paul Stastny (the second time, see what I mean about signing free agents?)
- 2022 and 2023 2nds -> Brenden Dillon
- 2022 3rd -> Nate Schmidt (overpaid but otherwise solid player)
- 2023 4th -> Appleton (the second time, expansion draft)
- 2024 2nd -> Nino Niederreiter
- 2025 5th -> Vladislav Namestnikov (just a solid roster player for another couple years)

Of course we would rather be winning cups every year and signing studs every off-season, but no one wins the cup every year and Winnipeg isn't a fun or exciting city to live in during the winter. Look, I know you're just some kid yelling into the void of the internet for someone to argue with and I'm just the idiot that responded. I know you don't like Kevin Cheveldayoff because he looks like Pong Krell from Star Wars: the Clone Wars, which, although he does, isn't a valid reason to dismiss his successes in the situation that he's in. He makes the Jets a profitable organization year after year, he drafts well (except Stanley and Vesa), he get ludicrous returns on trades, and he has consistently provided the talent necessary for the jets to be a playoff team. He's not winning any awards, but he hasn't been fired because he's damn good at doing a really tough job compared to the challenges other GMs face.

To the Jets fans tired of this guy's tomfoolery, I wrote this so y'all could enjoy reading it. I think we definitely appreciate Chevy enough, but it's nice to see examples of some of the magic that man performs in the front office.
ChevelsDayOff liked this.
Oct. 8, 2023 at 11:21 p.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan
Quoting: RationalHockeyFan

- 2020 7th -> Matt Hendricks (had to include the beauty)

Capitals legend, miss him in the NHL
Oct. 9, 2023 at 8:32 a.m.
wheelchair briere
The 'magic' of Kevin Cheveldayoff, you're too funny, RHF.

Honestly, it kind of does feel like a match made in heaven.

Maybe you guys should keep him.

I take everything back, this is a perfect fit in Winnipeg.

Considering I have only come across one 'normal' Jets fan on this site. What was his name again.... Rooney, or something along those lines. Jets' fans are deserving of his 'magic'.

Hit me up in another 10 years.
Oct. 9, 2023 at 10:27 a.m.
wheelchair briere
RHF,

Do you really think I'm a kid?

What am I yelling about?

I thought I was proposing a legitimate question in the Winnipeg Jets section or is it only reserved for a guy named @JohnSmith ?

The only thing you're right about is I don't like Cheveldayoff. But, you changed my mind. You deserve him.

If your only goal in Winnipeg is to exist, well done.

I ignored you a long time ago, I know you want to be friends, but it's not going to work out. My mom told me, when I was a KID, to not get into cars with strangers and you're a stranger.

You don't need to respond to me, like you always do. I'll give you one thing, you're an entertaining homer, with your ridiculous takes.

We all know you're biased towards Winnipeg, everyone can see it.
Oct. 9, 2023 at 5:41 p.m.
Lets go fishing
You don't need to respond to me
I'm going to anyway.

Do you really think I'm a kid?
Yes.

What am I yelling about?
Anything to get attention from the lovely people of https://www.capfriendly.com.

Can anyone defend why Kevin Cheveldayoff should have the luxary of being a GM in this league?
You did indeed ask a very valid question, I was just answering it.

If your only goal in Winnipeg is to exist, well done.
For a small market team who has literally been relocated in the past (It's okay if you're too young to remember), continuing to exist in the foreseeable future is never a guarantee. It's definitely not Chevy's only goal, but he doesn't have the luxury of going into a rebuild or failing to win a playoff round for 19 years like a team in a bigger market would. (Apologies if any leafs fans are reading this, y'all just got caught in the crossfire.)

My mom told me, when I was a KID, to not get into cars with strangers and you're a stranger.
An adult would know that when it comes to interacting with strangers, online forums and chat rooms are just as dangerous for children as cars.

We all know you're biased towards Winnipeg, everyone can see it.
I'm glad you found my user flair; I've only had it since the day I made my account.

Soon followed by,

Bye Scheifele.
Bye Hellebuyck.

Since the Jets extended both Scheifele and Hellebuyck today, I thought I would take the opportunity to gloat a little bit. We can mourn the fact that we'll never know what the return for these guys would have been. At least Jets fans can rejoice over the Jets being competitive for the next 4-5 years before Scheifele falls off. That's just the "hard decision" Chevy had to make to stay competitive.
NoVaSpartan liked this.
Oct. 9, 2023 at 7:46 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: RationalHockeyFan
I'm going to anyway.

Since the Jets extended both Scheifele and Hellebuyck today, I thought I would take the opportunity to gloat a little bit. We can mourn the fact that we'll never know what the return for these guys would have been. At least Jets fans can rejoice over the Jets being competitive for the next 4-5 years before Scheifele falls off. That's just the "hard decision" Chevy had to make to stay competitive.

The other option Chevy had was to keep Schef and Helly this season and maybe trade them at TDL for futures. Then having 17m in cap next summer to fill those two spots.
Is just keeping the same players, and paying them really helpful to the middling Jets? I dunno.
Oct. 9, 2023 at 8:15 p.m.
wheelchair briere
I can admit when I was wrong. I for sure thought that both Scheifele and Hellebuyck would leave Winnipeg.

Now, let's see if they can prove me wrong again and win something.
Oct. 9, 2023 at 8:42 p.m.
Lets go fishing
Quoting: palhal
The other option Chevy had was to keep Schef and Helly this season and maybe trade them at TDL for futures. Then having 17m in cap next summer to fill those two spots.
Is just keeping the same players, and paying them really helpful to the middling Jets? I dunno.

The problem is that Winnipeg is a city that just can't attract talent. If you're a free agent top 2 centre, would you sign long term with a team that just sold off their star players and is also located in Winnipeg? Don't get me wrong, I love the Jets and I like this city. If i had the choice of spending the next 7 years of my life in any NHL city as an NHL player, it wouldn't be Winnipeg.

So the question becomes, who can the Jets attract in free agency to replace Scheifele at centre? Any replacement centre would have to come from within the organization, and none of them are ready yet. In free agency, they wouldn't be able to lock down a centre better than Scheifele for the next 4-5 years for anywhere close to $8.5mil. The last few years of these contracts are the just price the Jets have to pay to be competitive for the next few years.

And it's good timing too, most of the core players in this franchise will be past their primes before that inevitable decline hits. For the time being, this Jets team is leaps and bounds better than last year. The forward core is as deep as it's ever been, we have a backup goalie now too. Our biggest problem with our defence was deciding which ones we would have to send through waivers, not which ones we would have to keep up. The Jets prospect pool has a bunch of exciting names that'll become roster players in the next couple years too.

I think the signings were the best option for Chevy. It sent a message that our cup window is now through the next five or six years. While i don't think we win, we should at least see some playoff success and 1 or 2 exciting runs before it's over. That's the most you can really ask for in the NHL.
palhal liked this.
Oct. 9, 2023 at 9:09 p.m.
wheelchair briere
RHF,

If you think I'm a 'Kid' why do you keep trying so hard to interact with me?

Didn't you create your CapFriendly account, just to respond to me, like you said on my other thread.

You are the definition of stranger danger.
Dec. 17, 2023 at 7:34 p.m.
Bedard23
That PLD trade is why
RationalHockeyFan liked this.
Mar. 15 at 9:09 a.m.
wheelchair briere
You said, the Sean Monahan trade is why, right?

Folks, save yourself some time and avoid reading the over 9,000 plus posts this LameHawk has posted on this site since 2021, one post is enough.

I'm sure Bedard wants to be associated with the garbage you write...

Just look at the people that are 'liking' the comments on this thread, it says it ALL right there.
Mar. 15 at 11:18 p.m.
Lets go fishing
I think that a great argument for Chevy still being a GM in the NHL would be his acquisitions this season. He acquired:

-This season's best available rental Centre in Sean Monahan,
-A right-handed 2RW goal-scorer in Tyler Toffoli, and
-A right-handed Dman who plays a solid game and adds good breakout passes and a powerful shot to the bottom pairing.

The Jets needed some help in all of those areas, and Chevy made it happen for just 5 draft picks: a 1st, a 2nd, two 3rds (one of which is only transferred when the Jets win the cup), and a 4th.

Just a reminder for those who may have forgotten, the Tampa Bay Lightning paid a 1st, a 2nd, a 3rd, a 4th, a 5th, and Cal Foote (the rapist) for Tanner Jeannot last season.

These acquisitions earned Chevy the title of "TSN TradeCentre GM of the deadline period" this year, despite the seemingly more drastic moves made by other teams. All the TSN analysts were talking about how "targeted" and "precise" these additions were, which is a sentiment I happen to agree with. Chevy himself said in his post-deadline presser that he doesn't add for the sake of adding, or chase big names for the sake of getting making a splash. As a GM, he doesn't engage with all the tomfoolery that other GM's around the league always seem to find themselves wrapped up in. He's careful, calculating, and he gets the most bang for the buck when he spends assets. I think that's a perfect fit for a market like Winnipeg, which (as I've mentioned in this thread) can only really acquire players through drafting and trading.

I know it was a buyers market this year, but we all still have to appreciate the asset management masterclass Chevy performed for us this season.
Mar. 17 at 10:44 a.m.
wheelchair briere
I have had this thread on this site since July of last year and no one has provided a rational and/or logical response as to why Kevin Cheveldayoff should be a GM in this league, because you can't...

I want to point it out that this thread is, the most viewed thread in the Winnipeg Jets section, I believe ever. So, maybe there is something to the question I proposed.

For context, there are posts missing on this thread because a couple 'tough guys' are unable to articulate their point without providing some tough guy language. Until they meet a real tough guy.

I already knew the answer to this question I asked back in July, and most people know it as well. The truth is I don't really care about this situation in Winnipeg, or whether they stay or leave.

So, I was glad I could provide the Jets' fans with something thoughtful and engaging to read.

Sincerely,

Not a Kevin Cheveldayoff fan.
RationalHockeyFan liked this.
Mar. 17 at 12:16 p.m.
Lets go fishing
For context, there are posts missing on this thread because a couple 'tough guys' are unable to articulate their point without providing some tough guy language. Until they meet a real tough guy.

For those of you wondering why he would say this, it means he added a few of us to his ignore list and can no longer see our posts. I guess he assumed we deleted them lol.

Honestly, I applaud him for it. The kid is taking internet safety seriously. Even if the only thing I can expose him to is a rational thought, it's still commendable to be on the safe side.
Fri. at 5:40 a.m.
wheelchair briere
Read the pandering for 'likes' on this thread.

Look at some of these people thirsty for 'likes'. They try to add some random comment to a thread that has almost 800 views, this is so predictable.

People outright swear at me on MY thread and other people 'like' the comment, get real, seriously get a life.

His eulogy read, He spent a lot of time on CapFriendly.

That's it. That's ALL he did.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll