STOP MAKING BAD MOVES FANS

Created by: Carleton
Team: 2023-24 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 23, 2023
Published: Jul. 23, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Gonna break it down a little bit here

EK65: We don't need him. His price tag is way too high and his term is terrible. The last thing we need is another defender who's abysmal in our own end. Signing Klingberg solves the issue of getting the puck up the ice, and he can rotate between PP1-PP2 with Rielly. Both Mo and Klingberg are puck movers but suck in their own end, we have enough of guys like this.

BRODIE: Stop trading him for scraps (or stop trading him at all) His defensive analytics were some of the best among RD last season. He is a beast in his own and and is a great partner to guys like Mo and Klingberg. Brodie was good against Tampa, but faltered against Florida, like the rest of the team did. Calling him a "bad playoff performer" would just be a lie.

NYLANDER: Stop trying to trade him to Calgary or San Jose or Nashville or Carolina, etc. He is a back to back 80 point player, losing him would crush our offensive production. I can guarantee teams are interested, but the only one who should be making a move is Brad. If Nylander prices himself out, then so be it. We use the money we would have used to sign him, to sign 1-2 top 6 players (or trade for them) to try and replace some of his production. Or, you know, give our prospects a go in the top 6?

It's way more ideal to keep him for a playoff run than to trade him for Pesce or Hanifin. Stop.

MURRAY: He has no long term injury. Either trade him or buy him out. It will come down to this.

JARNKROK: Is a solid 3rd line piece, but he can be replaced. If we HAVE to move him, I'm not opposed to it. But good luck finding a team that has 2.1m in cap space that is interested in him.
Trades
TOR
    **ANY TEAM, LATE PICK ?
    ARI
    1. Järnkrok, Calle
    Additional Details:
    Hypothetical move to see how the cap works
    Buyouts
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the NYI
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the OTT
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    21$83,500,000$83,381,450$0$0$118,550
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
    $5,500,000$5,500,000
    LW, RW
    NMC
    UFA - 1
    $11,640,250$11,640,250
    C
    NMC
    UFA - 1
    $6,962,366$6,962,366
    RW
    NMC
    UFA - 1
    $3,000,000$3,000,000
    C, RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $11,000,000$11,000,000
    C, LW
    NMC
    UFA - 2
    $10,903,000$10,903,000
    RW
    NMC
    UFA - 2
    $925,000$925,000
    LW, RW
    RFA - 2
    $2,400,000$2,400,000
    C
    M-NTC
    UFA - 4
    $796,667$796,667
    LW, RW
    RFA - 1
    $1,150,000$1,150,000
    RW, C, LW
    UFA - 1
    $800,000$800,000
    C, LW
    RFA - 2
    $1,350,000$1,350,000
    RW
    UFA - 3
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $7,500,000$7,500,000
    LD
    NMC
    UFA - 7
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    LD/RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $3,550,000$3,550,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    $2,000,000$2,000,000
    LD/RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $4,150,000$4,150,000
    RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $766,667$766,667
    G
    RFA - 2
    $800,000$800,000
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $1,400,000$1,400,000
    RD
    RFA - 1
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $1,100,000$1,100,000
    RD
    RFA - 2
    $5,625,000$5,625,000
    LD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Jul. 23, 2023 at 6:26 p.m.
    This has to be the best post I have seen all day. Congratulations!!!!!!!!
    V123, Carleton, GMDannyB and 1 other person liked this.
    Jul. 23, 2023 at 6:31 p.m.
    Vegas Repeat
    Quoting: chefed
    This has to be the best post I have seen all day. Congratulations!!!!!!!!

Agree I think Carolina should get Järnkrok have the cap
    Carleton and GMDannyB liked this.
    Jul. 23, 2023 at 6:34 p.m.
    I hate how much I agree with what you wrote given your user name! Gah!

(Though I am unsure if I agree on Nylander. I do not want to move him at all, but if it comes to it, moving him for a d upgrade and futures CAN make sense, in a cap environment.)
    Carleton, V123 and GMDannyB liked this.
    Jul. 23, 2023 at 6:45 p.m.
    Quoting: BCAPP
    I hate how much I agree with what you wrote given your user name! Gah!

(Though I am unsure if I agree on Nylander. I do not want to move him at all, but if it comes to it, moving him for a d upgrade and futures CAN make sense, in a cap environment.)

the name is a joke haha, im gonna change it to his awesome "i do crack" brother lol
    OldNYIfan liked this.
    Jul. 23, 2023 at 6:49 p.m.
    Habs 7th round 1983
    You mean early pick

Oh, and you pay
    Jul. 23, 2023 at 6:56 p.m.
    This is all perfect. Just perfect. And for the record I think scrapping Jarnkrok is the most painless solution to this mess. You get to keep one bench spot and can get through the season without too many undermanned games.
    Carleton and OldNYIfan liked this.
    Jul. 23, 2023 at 6:58 p.m.
    Quoting: VladislavTretiak
    You mean early pick

Oh, and you pay

It is unbelievable the amount of people on CapFriendly will tell you that you need to "pay" to move a player just because he's on Toronto.

It's extremely unlikely we will have to PAY to move a productive, both ends responsible, and 20g scoring middle 6 player, lol.
    The trade was a hypothetical to see how the cap situation works, I'm more than happy keeping a utility player such as Jarnkrok.
    BCAPP liked this.
    Jul. 23, 2023 at 7:01 p.m.
    Quoting: dougford
    It is unbelievable the amount of people on CapFriendly will tell you that you need to "pay" to move a player just because he's on Toronto.

It's extremely unlikely we will have to PAY to move a productive, both ends responsible, and 20g scoring middle 6 player, lol.
    The trade was a hypothetical to see how the cap situation works, I'm more than happy keeping a utility player such as Jarnkrok.

Jarnkrok is worth something like two mid-late picks or one 3rd rounder in my mind. He's got a great contract, plays well in his own end and has good numbers. Only issue, as you pointed out, is very few teams can take his small cap hit right now.
    Carleton liked this.
    Jul. 23, 2023 at 7:01 p.m.
    Habs 7th round 1983

So what's Murray's injury that keeps him on LTIR for the entire year?

Edit: my bad, I didn't see you bought him out during the 2nd window
    OldNYIfan liked this.
    Jul. 23, 2023 at 7:08 p.m.
    Amirov Forever
    I've been speculating about possible Brodie trades not because I want Brodie off of my team, but because I think clearing his money makes the most sense.

Getting rid of Murray in some kind of move is a foregone conclusion, but even after that the Leafs still need to make a move. Getting rid of Timmins makes no sense whatsoever. Getting rid of McMann makes no sense whatsoever. A substantial piece needs to be moved to make things work. The only logical pieces are Nylander or Brodie, and moving Nylander in a cap clearing trade would ruin this team.

So again, the issue isn't the player Brodie is, the issue is the money. Unless you want to lose Timmins / McMann to waivers, this is the way it goes. You can't have your cake and eat it too. If we are going to move a guy, it'll be Brodie, even though it would be less than ideal

As far as EK65 goes, I agree. Don't need that kind of player, that kind of money, or that kind of asset sink. Again though, Treliving is known to be in on pretty much every big name. Just due diligence.

Moving Jarnkrok would also be dumb. He's a very effective, cheap player with team. Those guys don't grow on trees.

The roster you have here is exactly what I would do, although I'd start Robertson with the Marlies and give McMann a shot (mainly because of the waiver exemption, ala Malgin last year)
    Carleton and OldNYIfan liked this.
    Jul. 23, 2023 at 7:11 p.m.
    Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
    I've been speculating about possible Brodie trades not because I want Brodie off of my team, but because I think clearing his money makes the most sense.

Getting rid of Murray in some kind of move is a foregone conclusion, but even after that the Leafs still need to make a move. Getting rid of Timmins makes no sense whatsoever. Getting rid of McMann makes no sense whatsoever. A substantial piece needs to be moved to make things work. The only logical pieces are Nylander or Brodie, and moving Nylander in a cap clearing trade would ruin this team.

So again, the issue isn't the player Brodie is, the issue is the money. Unless you want to lose Timmins / McMann to waivers, this is the way it goes. You can't have your cake and eat it too. If we are going to move a guy, it'll be Brodie, even though it would be less than ideal

As far as EK65 goes, I agree. Don't need that kind of player, that kind of money, or that kind of asset sink. Again though, Treliving is known to be in on pretty much every big name. Just due diligence.

Moving Jarnkrok would also be dumb. He's a very effective, cheap player with team. Those guys don't grow on trees.

The roster you have here is exactly what I would do, although I'd start Robertson with the Marlies and give McMann a shot (mainly because of the waiver exemption, ala Malgin last year)

Nicely said.

Moving Brodie makes the money work, but we need his defensive capabilities. The only other "defensively tight" player we have his McCabe. Gio and Lily are fine, but we still need a player like Brodie.

Unless we can replace him with somebody who can bare his quality of competition and pump out great defensive results, I'll take his cap hit over not having him.
    Jul. 23, 2023 at 7:15 p.m.
    Amirov Forever
    Nicely said.

Moving Brodie makes the money work, but we need his defensive capabilities. The only other "defensively tight" player we have his McCabe. Gio and Lily are fine, but we still need a player like Brodie.

Unless we can replace him with somebody who can bare his quality of competition and pump out great defensive results, I'll take his cap hit over not having him.

That's fair. All of this just illustrates how screwed we are 😂

Really curious to see what's going to happen. I don't think Friedman would say to watch the Nylander situation if there wasn't atleast some possibility of him being moved. I have a feeling that's what is going to happen unless Nylander winds up caving in and signing the leafs offer. In that case, Brodie is the guy unfortunately
    Jul. 23, 2023 at 7:16 p.m.
    Impatient
    I liked your article. Having said this if we could get ek65 at or below $6M, I'd be quite willing to give up Klingberg, Murray and Nylander plus some minor pieces to make retention work. As much as I like Nylander, I'd swap his points for Karlsson, but it MUST be with cap relief. Karlsson's salary was a bad investment for 4 years. He was brilliant last year but his history needs you to hedge your bets. Moving Klingberg for Karlsson is as wash and a good investment again if at $6M or below,
    Jul. 23, 2023 at 7:17 p.m.
    Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
    That's fair. All of this just illustrates how screwed we are 😂

Really curious to see what's going to happen. I don't think Friedman would say to watch the Nylander situation if there wasn't atleast some possibility of him being moved. I have a feeling that's what is going to happen unless Nylander winds up caving in and signing the leafs offer. In that case, Brodie is the guy unfortunately

Not that I like to see any fans suffer, but it's so refreshing to see Leafs fans who are willing to come to terms with the fact that the cap situation isn't great and won't be fixed by magic.
    Jul. 23, 2023 at 7:21 p.m.
    Edited Jul. 23, 2023 at 7:30 p.m.
    Ok Doctor prove to me that Murray is fit to play?

Wait you are not a doctor.

Murray fails team physical and collects his $8 million to stay at home.

Concussions (head injuries or mental disorders caused by head injuries) are next to impossible to dis-prove.

As a person who has had a concussion, you can feel good one day, one week, than get back to regular duties then bam, you feel like death again. Concussions are a long term life altering injury. I love how all you people believe a concussion is the same as getting over a headache.

If Murray and the team doctor play nice, the Nhl can investigate all they want, BUT end of the day Murray goes to LTIR.

Only if Murray plays the game. It's a clear answer, collect $8 million to not play or collect $5.3 million split over 2 years and not play.

Murray will be a TV analyst before the end of the season. His career is over.

Do you honestly think Trelving hasn't planned that outcome, you can not buyout an injured player.
    Jul. 23, 2023 at 7:25 p.m.
    Quoting: GolfBall
    I liked your article. Having said this if we could get ek65 at or below $6M, I'd be quite willing to give up Klingberg, Murray and Nylander plus some minor pieces to make retention work. As much as I like Nylander, I'd swap his points for Karlsson, but it MUST be with cap relief. Karlsson's salary was a bad investment for 4 years. He was brilliant last year but his history needs you to hedge your bets. Moving Klingberg for Karlsson is as wash and a good investment again if at $6M or below,

Getting THAT much retention on EK is going to cost us assets we don't really have. Especially if we're asking them to take Murray in a package with Nylander (that' over 10m, they'd be clearing EK with retention to take back more cap). It's unlikely San Jose is interested in Nylander seeing as how they are trying to rebuild on the fly. I'd also bet he has them on his clause.

One of our main issues last season was being able to get the puck up the ice. And we didn't really have a PP2 guy either. The only guy who can really do that is Mo. Trying to watch Justin Holl make stretch ice passes out of the zone is the reason I have a pile of hair pulled out on the ground beside my TV lol.

I don't think EK will replicate his 100pts, even on Toronto. Klingberg is a fine "Value Mart EK". We don't really need more puck movement than what we acquired. EK is a long shot especially with his age, term, and injury history. Let Pittsburgh overpay for him.
    Jul. 23, 2023 at 7:29 p.m.
    Quoting: draft_em_sign_em_trade_em

Concussions (head injuries or mental disorders caused by head injuries) are next to impossible to dis-prove.

If Murray and the team doctor play nice, the Nhl can investigate all they want, BUT end of the day Murray goes to LTIR.

Only if Murray plays the game.

Do you honestly think Trelving hasn't planned that outcome, you can not buyout an injured player.

I know fellow Leafs fans love to cling on to things that our media says and to things Friedman says, but he has no "long term injury". The case scenario is that he will be fine by the time (if there is any injury) the season starts.

Murray also likely wants to play, rather than sitting himself in the press box collecting dust as a good noodle just to make our cap situation work. We need to stop treating these players as chess pieces on a board. They are human beings man.

Buy the guy out and figure out how to make the cap work. This isn't NHL 23.
    Jul. 23, 2023 at 7:36 p.m.
    I know fellow Leafs fans love to cling on to things that our media says and to things Friedman says, but he has no "long term injury". The case scenario is that he will be fine by the time (if there is any injury) the season starts.

Murray also likely wants to play, rather than sitting himself in the press box collecting dust as a good noodle just to make our cap situation work. We need to stop treating these players as chess pieces on a board. They are human beings man.

Buy the guy out and figure out how to make the cap work. This isn't NHL 23.

Yes, you know more; lol, I'm sure Trevling and Murray have spoken alot about this situation, and more likely than not, the reason no trade or buyout has occurred because Murray is unfit to play (and unwanted around the league).

Believing concussion do not have "long term injury" effects, tell that to the Lindros brothers. lol
    Jul. 23, 2023 at 7:37 p.m.
    Good nerd

As a person who has had a concussion, you can feel good one day, one week, than get back to regular duties then bam, you feel like death again. Concussions are a long term life altering injury. I love how all you people believe a concussion is the same as getting over a headache.

Only if Murray plays the game.

This is called "cap circumvention". It would put a huge spotlight on concussions while all other fanbases cry foul, which I am sure the league office would love. It would also allow any team to abuse nebulous concussion symptoms for LTIR, which the NHLPA would not stand for.

LTIR should be the last thing the Leafs want, since in the more realistic case he would likely need be reactivated mid-season. That would be a complete disaster.
    Carleton and Avsfantrumpetman liked this.
    Jul. 23, 2023 at 7:44 p.m.
    Yes, you know more; lol, I'm sure Trevling and Murray have spoken alot about this situation, and more likely than not, the reason no trade or buyout has occurred because Murray is unfit to play (and unwanted around the league).

Believing concussion do not have "long term injury" effects, tell that to the Lindros brothers. lol

If it's taking this long for them to assess him, he's likely fine lol.
    Jul. 23, 2023 at 7:46 p.m.
    Quoting: tupty
    This is called "cap circumvention". It would put a huge spotlight on concussions while all other fanbases cry foul, which I am sure the league office would love. It would also allow any team to abuse nebulous concussion symptoms for LTIR, which the NHLPA would not stand for.

LTIR should be the last thing the Leafs want, since in the more realistic case he would likely need be reactivated mid-season. That would be a complete disaster.

It's so disappointing to see Toronto fans live in this reality where we believe all of our troubles will be fixed because "hey, why not"
    Avsfantrumpetman liked this.
    Jul. 23, 2023 at 7:46 p.m.
    Quoting: tupty

Wrong the Nhl wants to protect players from head injuries, christ they still have lawsuits from former players dealing from head injuries, the Nhl will not say "boo" concerning any players with concussions symptoms (or do you miss the fact that any player gets hit hard they automaticly go into a quiet room).
    Jul. 23, 2023 at 7:48 p.m.
    If it's taking this long for them to assess him, he's likely fine lol.

umm... team physicals do not occur during the summer. So he has not even seen the team doctor officially yet.
    Jul. 23, 2023 at 7:48 p.m.
    Wrong the Nhl wants to protect players from head injuries, christ they still have lawsuits from former players dealing from head injuries, the Nhl will not say "boo" concerning any players with concussions symptoms (or do you miss the fact that any player gets hit hard they automaticly go into a quiet room).

Give it up man, Murray is not LTIR eligible. And if he is, like @tupty said, he'd probably need to be reactivated mid season which WOULD be a disaster.

And like I said, he's not going to want to collect dust in the press box over a fake injury just because we told him we need to make the cap work. This is why other fanbases clown on us
    tupty liked this.
    Jul. 23, 2023 at 7:50 p.m.
    Give it up man, Murray is not LTIR eligible. And if he is, like tupty said, he'd probably need to be reactivated mid season which WOULD be a disaster.

And like I said, he's not going to want to collect dust in the press box over a fake injury just because we told him we need to make the cap work. This is why other fanbases clown on us

Wrong, wait and see.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll