Forums/Armchair-GM

Drive the chevy to the Levi until the Levi goes dry

Created by: gretzkyghosts
Team: 2023-24 Buffalo Sabres
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 26, 2023
Published: Jul. 26, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
@PHEN and @Stanley_Cup_To_Manhattan, thank you for the Tatar idea.
@Warpbox thank you for the Ostlund idea.
Many Leaf fans, thank you for the Brodie concept.
Logan Stanley is just for fun, LOL

Last season Bryson, Clague, Fitzgerald, Pilut played 132 games.
This season Johnson, Stillman and Brodie will be adding the depth on defense.
Brodie is expensive, but he also bring playoff experience which will help even when he is not in the line up.

The Sabres ride Levi until he proves he cannot handle NHL competition.

Mittelstadt on the top line and Thompson on the second line would give the Sabres two good scoring lines.
Each should be able to contribute over 90 goals.

Tatar and Krebs should be able to provide sufficient back checking to offset Olofsson's defensive shortcomings and take advantage of his scoring capabilities.
With Olofsson on the third line, they could provide decent third line scoring up to 60 goals.
Olofsson 28
Tatar 20
Krebs 15

That is a big fourth line.

When Quinn returns to the line up, Lyubushkin will most likely be the odd man out with either Greenway or Olofsson relegated to the Press Box unless there are injuries.

Bottom line, better depth will reduce the goals against and lead to a playoff spot.

Last year my point prediction of 90 pts was wrong.
This year my prediction is 100 pts.
Free Agent Signings
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$3,000,000
Trades
BUF
  1. Brodie, TJ
  2. Niemelä, Topi
  3. 2024 3rd round pick (NYI)
TOR
  1. Stillman, Riley ($675,000 retained)
  2. Strbak, Maxim [Reserve List]
BUF
  1. Brzustewicz, Hunter [Reserve List]
  2. 2025 2nd round pick (VAN)
BUF
  1. Stanley, Logan [RFA Rights]
Additional Details:
Mutt and Jeff trade.
Two LHD who could use a change of venue.
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the NSH
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$83,500,000$79,886,070$0$4,570,000$3,613,930
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
$9,000,000$9,000,000
LW, RW
NMC
UFA - 4
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LW, C
RFA - 1
$4,750,000$4,750,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$855,833$855,833 (Performance Bonus$32,500$32K)
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$7,100,000$7,100,000
C, LW
UFA - 7
$7,142,857$7,142,857
C
UFA - 7
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$412,500$412K)
C, LW
RFA - 1
$4,750,000$4,750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$2,500,000$2,500,000 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$3,333,333$3,333,333
RD
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$925,000$925K)
G
RFA - 2
$916,667$916,667 (Performance Bonus$1,850,000$2M)
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$3,250,000$3,250,000
RD
UFA - 1
$837,500$837,500
G
RFA - 1
$4,285,714$4,285,714
LD
UFA - 7
$2,500,000$2,500,000
RD
RFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW, LW
RFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000
C
UFA - 1
$687,500$687,500
RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jul. 26, 2023 at 1:50 p.m.
Canucks accept!
gretzkyghosts and YesThisIsFlo liked this.
Jul. 26, 2023 at 1:54 p.m.
I think you've grossly underestimated Brodie because of some bogus buyout suggestions. Only reason it was ever suggested is because he has a $0 buyout hit against this season, and with Murray on LTIR it's all but confirmed he's going nowhere short of an overpay via trade market or a massive massive trade by Treliving. He's a very effective defensive top 4 D, the fact that you have us paying to get rid of him AND you have a guy who would undoubtedly be in this top 4 sitting in the press box is utterly laughable. Leafs quite easily decline.
MitchJr and gretzkyghosts liked this.
Jul. 26, 2023 at 2:05 p.m.
Hii
Quoting: leafs101
I think you've grossly underestimated Brodie because of some bogus buyout suggestions. Only reason it was ever suggested is because he has a $0 buyout hit against this season, and with Murray on LTIR it's all but confirmed he's going nowhere short of an overpay via trade market or a massive massive trade by Treliving. He's a very effective defensive top 4 D, the fact that you have us paying to get rid of him AND you have a guy who would undoubtedly be in this top 4 sitting in the press box is utterly laughable. Leafs quite easily decline.

Murray has to be hurt to go on LTIR, which he is not. And after the whole Kucherov scandal the league is probably strictly watching LTIR placements. The Leafs are also still way over the cap with a Murray buyout or a Murray LTIR stint, which is not going to last the entire season.
gretzkyghosts liked this.
Jul. 26, 2023 at 2:06 p.m.
Hii
Quoting: Warpbox
Canucks accept!

What's the rational for that trade for the Buffalo Sabres?
Jul. 26, 2023 at 2:07 p.m.
Quoting: Hii
Murray has to be hurt to go on LTIR, which he is not. And after the whole Kucherov scandal the league is probably strictly watching LTIR placements. The Leafs are also still way over the cap with a Murray buyout or a Murray LTIR stint, which is not going to last the entire season.

Leafs have officially placed Murray on LTIR as of today, insiders saying its expected to be the full 23-24 season. Mark Stone pulled the very same thing Kuch did just this past postseason, league isn't doing jack. Leafs are now just ~600k over the cap after Murray and Muzzin hit LTIR, with very reasonable ways to fix that, trading our most trusted defensive defender isn't going to happen. Much less paying to move him.
Jul. 26, 2023 at 2:08 p.m.
Hii
Leafs have officially placed Murray on LTIR as of today, insiders saying its expected to be the full 23-24 season. Mark Stone pulled the very same thing Kuch did just this past postseason, league isn't doing jack. Leafs are now just ~600k over the cap after Murray and Muzzin hit LTIR, with very reasonable ways to fix that, trading our most trusted defensive defender isn't going to happen. Much less paying to move him.

Fair enough, did not see that move. I wonder what the injury is. As with Mark Stone it was back problems which he's had throughout his career.
Jul. 26, 2023 at 2:10 p.m.
Fair enough, did not see that move. I wonder what the injury is. As with Mark Stone it was back problems which he's had throughout his career.

Murray has had problems all throughout his career since just after his cup days and especially last season or two. Ankle and head injuries galore. Probably should not have even backed up that one game he did in the playoffs, if he was truly ready to go they're starting the 2x cup champ over the rookie with 10 NHL games and 0 postseason every single time. Maybe he's done, maybe he takes a year to really rehab properly and tries to make a comeback, but it's not totally surprising if you look at his injury history, especially recently.
Hii liked this.
Jul. 26, 2023 at 2:11 p.m.
Winnipeg just keeps the better player.
Jul. 26, 2023 at 2:54 p.m.
H.Lindholm Lover
Leafs laugh at that offer
Jul. 26, 2023 at 3:28 p.m.
What's the rational for that trade for the Buffalo Sabres?

I believe the reasoning was that the Sabres really don't need forwards/forward prospects as opposed to Dmen
gretzkyghosts and Hii liked this.
Jul. 26, 2023 at 3:55 p.m.

Brodie is a decent but not among the top 4 defensemen on a strong team, let alone the Sabres.

The top 4 defensemen for the Sabres are Dahlin, Samuelsson, Clifton, and Powers.

Brodie would likely be a substitute player if any of these top 4 defensemen were injured. Additionally, the Sabres also have Johnson, Lyubushkin, and Bryson, all of whom have comparable statistics. So I could see Brodie sitting or on the 3rd line if he was on the sabres.

Regarding placing Murray on LTIR, I find it frustrating that this league allows teams to exploit the LTIR provision for "injured" players. It's time to reconsider the rules to prevent teams from bending or even cheating the system. Whatever happened to integrity and honesty, both in the workplace and in life? It's essential to uphold fair play and transparency.
Jul. 26, 2023 at 6:37 p.m.
Did you really put Tage Thompson at 2RW and replace him with Casey Mittelstadt at 1C?!
Jul. 27, 2023 at 9:48 a.m.
Edited Jul. 27, 2023 at 10:42 a.m.
Quoting: jal
Brodie is a decent but not among the top 4 defensemen on a strong team, let alone the Sabres.

The top 4 defensemen for the Sabres are Dahlin, Samuelsson, Clifton, and Powers.

Brodie would likely be a substitute player if any of these top 4 defensemen were injured. Additionally, the Sabres also have Johnson, Lyubushkin, and Bryson, all of whom have comparable statistics. So I could see Brodie sitting or on the 3rd line if he was on the sabres.

Regarding placing Murray on LTIR, I find it frustrating that this league allows teams to exploit the LTIR provision for "injured" players. It's time to reconsider the rules to prevent teams from bending or even cheating the system. Whatever happened to integrity and honesty, both in the workplace and in life? It's essential to uphold fair play and transparency.

Saying Clifton is better is hilarious, Brodie has been our most sound defender for years now but alrighty. And no all those other players dont have comparable stats, if you look at the defensive advanced stats it’s not close.
Jul. 27, 2023 at 1:50 p.m.
Saying Clifton is better is hilarious, Brodie has been our most sound defender for years now but alrighty. And no all those other players dont have comparable stats, if you look at the defensive advanced stats it’s not close.

Brodie might be the leafts most "sound"defender but stats don't lie:

In this comparison between Clifton from Boston (BOS) and Brodie from Toronto (TOR) based on their 2022-23 NHL season metrics, it appears that Clifton has slightly better stats overall.

Here's a breakdown:

Corsi (All): Clifton has a higher Corsi For Percentage (CF%) at 46.7% compared to Brodie's 45.8%. This means Clifton's team had a slightly higher percentage of the total shot attempts when he was on the ice.

Fenwick (All): Clifton again has a higher Fenwick For Percentage (FF%) at 46.8% versus Brodie's 46.9%, indicating his team had a slight edge in unblocked shot attempts during his shifts.

PDO (All): Clifton's PDO is higher at 103.1 compared to Brodie's 99.2. PDO is the sum of a player's on-ice shooting percentage and on-ice save percentage. A PDO over 100, like Clifton's, typically indicates that a player has been on the "lucky" side of variance, while a PDO below 100, like Brodie's, can be seen as "unlucky."

Zone Starts (All): Clifton started a higher percentage of his shifts in the offensive zone (oZS%) at 46.8% compared to Brodie's 43%.

So yeah, Clifton is better and younger to boot.
Jul. 27, 2023 at 4:33 p.m.
Brodie might be the leafts most "sound"defender but stats don't lie:

In this comparison between Clifton from Boston (BOS) and Brodie from Toronto (TOR) based on their 2022-23 NHL season metrics, it appears that Clifton has slightly better stats overall.

Here's a breakdown:

Corsi (All): Clifton has a higher Corsi For Percentage (CF%) at 46.7% compared to Brodie's 45.8%. This means Clifton's team had a slightly higher percentage of the total shot attempts when he was on the ice.

Fenwick (All): Clifton again has a higher Fenwick For Percentage (FF%) at 46.8% versus Brodie's 46.9%, indicating his team had a slight edge in unblocked shot attempts during his shifts.

PDO (All): Clifton's PDO is higher at 103.1 compared to Brodie's 99.2. PDO is the sum of a player's on-ice shooting percentage and on-ice save percentage. A PDO over 100, like Clifton's, typically indicates that a player has been on the "lucky" side of variance, while a PDO below 100, like Brodie's, can be seen as "unlucky."

Zone Starts (All): Clifton started a higher percentage of his shifts in the offensive zone (oZS%) at 46.8% compared to Brodie's 43%.

So yeah, Clifton is better and younger to boot.

You more or less just gave me all offensive stats and thats not at all what I’m arguing, Brodie is far better and trusted as a defensive defenseman

The last stat particularly actually proves my point - Brodie gets all the D-zone starts because he is trusted, Clifton was given more O-zone starts because Boston sheltered his minutes more
Jul. 27, 2023 at 6:03 p.m.
Hii

Brodie would pretty much be a top 4 D on almost every team in the league. He would also be a more stabilizing presence for either Dahlin and Power allowing them to become more offensive. Also Vlifton is more of a third pairing defensemen who can play up in the event of injuries, but he shouldn’t be trusted long term.
leafs101 and gretzkyghosts liked this.
Jul. 27, 2023 at 6:05 p.m.
Hii
Quoting: Warpbox
I believe the reasoning was that the Sabres really don't need forwards/forward prospects as opposed to Dmen

Thanks for the answer, if I was Kevin Adam’s I’d try to drum up interest/wait to see if their prospects stocks rise. I’d also probably trade them for immediate help such as a Top 4 RHD or a solid backup/1B for Levi.
gretzkyghosts and Warpbox liked this.
Jul. 27, 2023 at 6:17 p.m.
You more or less just gave me all offensive stats and thats not at all what I’m arguing, Brodie is far better and trusted as a defensive defenseman

The last stat particularly actually proves my point - Brodie gets all the D-zone starts because he is trusted, Clifton was given more O-zone starts because Boston sheltered his minutes more

Also worth noting you picked almost all stats that are heavily team influenced and not player isolated - Clifton played on the best team in regular season history man

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll