Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Here is the impass:
Pit is the only team really interested in Karl
Pit can't bring in Karl without trading Petry
Petry won't go to SJ and Chi will want a 1st to take him
SJ won't retain more than 20%
Pit won't trade for Karl at any retention below 35%
Pit won't trade multiple high picks / prospects for a dynamic player would can't stay healthy and has an insane cap hit

I don't think anyone is going to give...

For the record, this team gets 96 points and is bounced in the second round
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$950,000
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
24$83,500,000$77,943,925$0$0$5,556,075
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$8,700,000$8,700,000
C
NMC
UFA - 2
$5,125,000$5,125,000
RW, LW
NMC
UFA - 5
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$6,100,000$6,100,000
C
NMC
UFA - 3
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$950,000$950,000
LW
UFA - 2
$2,450,000$2,450,000
C
UFA - 2
$775,000$775,000
RW, LW
RFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000
C, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$3,125,000$3,125,000
RW, C
NMC
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,025,175$4,025,175
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$6,100,000$6,100,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 5
$5,375,000$5,375,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 6
$2,343,750$2,343,750
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$1,800,000$1,800,000
G
UFA - 1
$825,000$825,000
LD
RFA - 1
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$1,500,000$1,500,000
G
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
LD/RD
RFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
RD
UFA - 1
Taxi Squad
$775,000$775,000 ($0$0$0$0)
LD
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000 ($0$0$0$0)
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$785,000$785,000 ($0$0$0$0)
G
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Aug. 1, 2023 at 7:41 p.m.
Karl?

587323.0.jpg
Victor24 liked this.
Aug. 1, 2023 at 7:47 p.m.
Quoting: tkecanuck341
Karl?

587323.0.jpg

No...

Edit: I still can't figure out how to post images on this site....
Aug. 1, 2023 at 8:06 p.m.
"Go sell ice cream!"
If they finished with 96 points and a 2nd round exit it would be a success.
BURGHgirl liked this.
Aug. 1, 2023 at 8:19 p.m.
The Karlsson saga seems never ending but let's wait to see what happens this week with O'Connor's arbitration/second buyout window.
jfkst1 liked this.
Aug. 1, 2023 at 8:50 p.m.
I like you Vic, but you don’t know any of those specific details. That’s all crap blogs with zero legit sources spew out there.
Play_Party_Hard, BURGHgirl, jfkst1 and 1 other person liked this.
Aug. 1, 2023 at 9:20 p.m.
I play. You?
Quoting: HulkVader
I like you Vic, but you don’t know any of those specific details. That’s all crap blogs with zero legit sources spew out there.

And for the love of god don't listen to anything Rob Rossi says. He looks to start trouble every off-season. Last year he had Geno convinced the Pens didn't want him back. Prick
HulkVader liked this.
Aug. 1, 2023 at 10:32 p.m.
Quoting: BURGHgirl
And for the love of god don't listen to anything Rob Rossi says. He looks to start trouble every off-season. Last year he had Geno convinced the Pens didn't want him back. Prick

100%. Rossi’s a joke.
BURGHgirl liked this.
Aug. 1, 2023 at 11:09 p.m.
"Go sell ice cream!"

I think Rossi is unprofessional, but I am confident he still has sources in the org. Or at least he did at one point. Same opinion on Mark Madden. He's had inside knowledge on player transactions before.
BURGHgirl liked this.
Aug. 2, 2023 at 4:26 a.m.
pens1991
I disagree on SJ not retaining more than 20%, I think they'll end up moving on that, they don't really have a choice unless they want to keep him.

I still don't think EK gets done due to the cap gymnastics but imo the deal would be something like EK 35% retained for Granlund, Ty Smith, Poulin, Blomqvist a protected 1st and a conditional 2nd.

Finding a landing spot for Petry is the tough part.

The optimist in mean however does want to believe that Dubas isn't finished with the roster. I'm assuming DOC comes in at or under $1M, use the second window to buyout Granlund.

Could easily trade Rutta and find a home for DeSmith, and could either trying Ty Smith at 3RD or send him on waivers either way that should leave around $6M in cap I believe.

I also still think there will be trades to fall in the league which could open things up. The Flames were all over the place on offloading half the team, then not then back to unsure. I can't see Boston going into the season that Center lineup... it's not great coming off the year they just had. Can't see the devils going into the season Vanecek as their #1 personally.

Will be curious to see the rest of the summer.
Aug. 2, 2023 at 9:04 a.m.
Quoting: HulkVader

No, I don't. But most of that can be deduced with logic. There aren't many teams desperate enough to gamble on Karl. They have to be close to playoff calibre and nearly aging out. Pit and Wash come to mind.

Petry blocked trades from MTL, because he wanted to stay near Michigan. It makes sense that still holds.

Pit can't afford a 9MM defenseman who may or may not be healthy. A 7MM defenseman... that would be acceptable.

I could be way off but I just don't see it happening.

I mean, their initial offer to Malkin was around 5MM and Hextall didn't budge for a bit. If the argument is Hextall vs Anyone, I am leaning towards the field.
Aug. 2, 2023 at 9:10 a.m.
Quoting: pens1991
I disagree on SJ not retaining more than 20%, I think they'll end up moving on that, they don't really have a choice unless they want to keep him.

I still don't think EK gets done due to the cap gymnastics but imo the deal would be something like EK 35% retained for Granlund, Ty Smith, Poulin, Blomqvist a protected 1st and a conditional 2nd.

Finding a landing spot for Petry is the tough part.

The optimist in mean however does want to believe that Dubas isn't finished with the roster. I'm assuming DOC comes in at or under $1M, use the second window to buyout Granlund.

Could easily trade Rutta and find a home for DeSmith, and could either trying Ty Smith at 3RD or send him on waivers either way that should leave around $6M in cap I believe.

I also still think there will be trades to fall in the league which could open things up. The Flames were all over the place on offloading half the team, then not then back to unsure. I can't see Boston going into the season that Center lineup... it's not great coming off the year they just had. Can't see the devils going into the season Vanecek as their #1 personally.

Will be curious to see the rest of the summer.

I don't see a way Petry stays. Even with your offer above (Karl @ 65% for Smith, Granlund, Poulin, Blom, 1st, and 2nd) the Pens would be over the cap. Also, that is way too much for Karl.

I did an ACGM on trying to keep Petry and trade for Karl. It's possible but unlikely.

https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/4416071

I don't see the Pens trading DeSmith. They signed Jarry to be their #1, kept DeSmith to be #2 / insurance Jarry gets hurt, and signed 2 more guys to backup DeSmith. They want 3 goalies on this roster.
Aug. 2, 2023 at 9:16 a.m.
That's a very optimistic finish to the season imo haha - I'm praying you're right
Victor24 liked this.
Aug. 2, 2023 at 12:14 p.m.
pens1991
Quoting: Victor24
I don't see a way Petry stays. Even with your offer above (Karl 65% for Smith, Granlund, Poulin, Blom, 1st, and 2nd) the Pens would be over the cap. Also, that is way too much for Karl.

I did an ACGM on trying to keep Petry and trade for Karl. It's possible but unlikely.

https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/4416071

I don't see the Pens trading DeSmith. They signed Jarry to be their #1, kept DeSmith to be #2 / insurance Jarry gets hurt, and signed 2 more guys to backup DeSmith. They want 3 goalies on this roster.

That offer for EK is assuming they move Petry which if they do and make that EK trade they have roughly 800K in cap while not having to move Rutta or DeSmith.

Also don't think that's too much at all for EK. You're dumping Granlund, you're sending Ty Smith whom is eh idk maybe a 3rd pair guy, Blomqvist hasn't had much play time in the AHL yet (2 games) and Poulin who is the best of the bunch, but still i'm not sure we know what kind of player he is and if he doesn't develop for another 2 years it doesn't help the pens now. 1st (lottery protected) and 2nd that can become a first on conditions like pens making the ECF in 24 or 25 + Ek playing x amount of the playoffs, that's a win imo.

they may run three goalies, but as things stand they need to find cap space now.
Aug. 2, 2023 at 12:27 p.m.
That offer for EK is assuming they move Petry which if they do and make that EK trade they have roughly 800K in cap while not having to move Rutta or DeSmith.

Also don't think that's too much at all for EK. You're dumping Granlund, you're sending Ty Smith whom is eh idk maybe a 3rd pair guy, Blomqvist hasn't had much play time in the AHL yet (2 games) and Poulin who is the best of the bunch, but still i'm not sure we know what kind of player he is and if he doesn't develop for another 2 years it doesn't help the pens now. 1st (lottery protected) and 2nd that can become a first on conditions like pens making the ECF in 24 or 25 + Ek playing x amount of the playoffs, that's a win imo.

they may run three goalies, but as things stand they need to find cap space now.

It's too much for 3 reasons:
1.) No one else is in on Karl
2.) Karl hasn't shown he can stay healthy and is thus risky
3.) His cap hit is still very high with retention

Burns was traded (with retention) for a B prospect and little else. He isn't as dynamic as Karl but he is also healthier.

If your deal is for Karl at the expense of 3 B prospects, a 1st, and at least 2nds (one to move Petry), you have way overplayed your hand.

You would need the 1st to trade Granlund, which is why you would buy him out instead.

The trade could include Poulin, Smith, and Blomqvist and maybe a 2nd if SJ eats 4.5MM of Karl but SJ wouldn't get the 1st. It (or a 2nd) would follow Petry.
Aug. 2, 2023 at 12:41 p.m.
pens1991
Quoting: Victor24
It's too much for 3 reasons:
1.) No one else is in on Karl
2.) Karl hasn't shown he can stay healthy and is thus risky
3.) His cap hit is still very high with retention

Burns was traded (with retention) for a B prospect and little else. He isn't as dynamic as Karl but he is also healthier.

If your deal is for Karl at the expense of 3 B prospects, a 1st, and at least 2nds (one to move Petry), you have way overplayed your hand.

You would need the 1st to trade Granlund, which is why you would buy him out instead.

The trade could include Poulin, Smith, and Blomqvist and maybe a 2nd if SJ eats 4.5MM of Karl but SJ wouldn't get the 1st. It (or a 2nd) would follow Petry.

You definitely don't know if other teams are in or out on karlsson, none of us know that. All it takes is one trade from someone like Carolina moving Pesce or the leafs moving Nylander and things open back up so to say no one else is in would be a blind comment. Specially considering in Sweden recently he said he'd spoken to multiple teams.

I won't disagree on his health, He's missed like 30% of the games since joining SJ, but you have to take risks to win and succeed, and yes his cap hit is high, no one is arguing that but the cap is projected to go up $4M next summer and in reality the penguins have maybe 2 years left so who cares.

I'm sorry, but you can't compare the burns trade to a potential EK trade. EK is vastly better and 5 years younger.

If you think a 1st isn't going to SJ for EK then i'm not sure what to tell you, they're not going to take a bag of paper for the norris trophy winner, nor will they eat $4.5M. I think $4M is the absolute highest they'll go.

I've always been in the camp that i'd rather see the penguins use assets to bolster the 3rd line/middle six instead of EK, plus thinking it's too difficult to obtain EK because they have to move Petry and Granlund, but I easily understand the reason to add EK if they can, he immediately elevates the team and the PP.
Aug. 2, 2023 at 1:50 p.m.
Edited Aug. 2, 2023 at 2:02 p.m.
You definitely don't know if other teams are in or out on karlsson, none of us know that. All it takes is one trade from someone like Carolina moving Pesce or the leafs moving Nylander and things open back up so to say no one else is in would be a blind comment. Specially considering in Sweden recently he said he'd spoken to multiple teams.

I won't disagree on his health, He's missed like 30% of the games since joining SJ, but you have to take risks to win and succeed, and yes his cap hit is high, no one is arguing that but the cap is projected to go up $4M next summer and in reality the penguins have maybe 2 years left so who cares.

I'm sorry, but you can't compare the burns trade to a potential EK trade. EK is vastly better and 5 years younger.

If you think a 1st isn't going to SJ for EK then i'm not sure what to tell you, they're not going to take a bag of paper for the norris trophy winner, nor will they eat $4.5M. I think $4M is the absolute highest they'll go.

I've always been in the camp that i'd rather see the penguins use assets to bolster the 3rd line/middle six instead of EK, plus thinking it's too difficult to obtain EK because they have to move Petry and Granlund, but I easily understand the reason to add EK if they can, he immediately elevates the team and the PP.

No, I don't know that for sure but there aren't many that make sense. Carolina would have to move Pesce which they don't want to do. Tor might have trouble resigning Matthews if their cap is eaten by Karl. Sea is a maybe but I don't see them as desperate enough. Logically, Pit is the only real option (imo). If there were others, Karl would have moved by now.

Yes, risks are part of the trade but the riskier it is, the less you should pay. Everyone knows the quad chart of risk vs reward. Karl is high reward but high risk, mitigating his value.

How is Karl worse than Burns? Karl is better at scoring, Burns is better at playing defense and has missed 7 games in 9 years. Both had NTC and can choose their new home. Both had limited suitors. I think they are quite similar in value.

People keep calling him the Norris winner. That's great. But there are about 30 defenseman I would prefer over Karl, that have no Norris trophies to their name. Karl is the best on the block, but that doesn't mean the Pens should trade the farm for him.

But hey, your opinion is yours. I won't deny it from you.
Aug. 3, 2023 at 3:57 p.m.
Quoting: jfkst1
If they finished with 96 points and a 2nd round exit it would be a success.

I don't see any way this team wins a playoff series. I don't think it makes playoffs without Karlsson and I don't know if it's even that close. We shall see, I could be completely wrong
Aug. 3, 2023 at 4:09 p.m.
"Go sell ice cream!"
Quoting: pensfan21
I don't see any way this team wins a playoff series. I don't think it makes playoffs without Karlsson and I don't know if it's even that close. We shall see, I could be completely wrong

Maybe Jarry steals a series for once instead of gives it away. Goaltending and injuries makes massive differences as proven this year with Florida riding Bobrovsky way further than the skaters deserved and some strong teams screwed from untimely injuries (BOS, CAR, COL).
Aug. 3, 2023 at 4:24 p.m.
Quoting: jfkst1
Maybe Jarry steals a series for once instead of gives it away. Goaltending and injuries makes massive differences as proven this year with Florida riding Bobrovsky way further than the skaters deserved and some strong teams screwed from untimely injuries (BOS, CAR, COL).

Once you get to the playoffs anything could happen to an extent, but I just don't see this team making playoffs. Don't think D core or bottom 6 are nearly good enough. 2 biggest issues are lack of offense outside the top 6 and the D's problems (lack of puck movement, no physical D that can help clear our net).
Aug. 3, 2023 at 5:47 p.m.
Quoting: pensfan21
[strong]Once you get to the playoffs anything could happen[/strong] to an extent, but I just don't see this team making playoffs. Don't think D core or bottom 6 are nearly good enough. 2 biggest issues are lack of offense outside the top 6 and the D's problems (lack of puck movement, no physical D that can help clear our net).

Once you're in, it's a crapshoot

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll