Trades
TOR
  1. Nieto, Matt
  2. Pitlick, Rem
  3. 2024 2nd round pick (PIT)
  4. 2024 4th round pick (PIT)
  5. 2025 1st round pick (PIT)
PIT
  1. Nylander, William ($3,000,000 retained)
Additional Details:
Third team retains 3 mil for PIT’s 4th
TOR
    From PIT to ANA
    ANA
    1. 2024 4th round pick (PIT)
    Additional Details:
    4th for retaining 3mil
    Retained Salary Transactions
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the NYI
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the OTT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    23$83,500,000$82,872,417$0$0$627,583

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
    $3,000,000$3,000,000
    C, RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $11,640,250$11,640,250
    C
    NMC
    UFA - 1
    $10,903,000$10,903,000
    RW
    NMC
    UFA - 2
    $925,000$925,000
    LW, RW
    RFA - 2
    $11,000,000$11,000,000
    C, LW
    NMC
    UFA - 2
    $5,500,000$5,500,000
    LW, RW
    NMC
    UFA - 1
    $762,500$762,500
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    $2,400,000$2,400,000
    C
    M-NTC
    UFA - 4
    Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
    $1,100,000$1,100,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $2,100,000$2,100,000
    RW, C, LW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    $1,150,000$1,150,000
    RW, C, LW
    UFA - 1
    $1,350,000$1,350,000
    RW
    UFA - 3
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $7,500,000$7,500,000
    LD
    NMC
    UFA - 7
    $2,000,000$2,000,000
    LD/RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $3,550,000$3,550,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    LD/RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $4,150,000$4,150,000
    RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $766,667$766,667
    G
    RFA - 2
    $800,000$800,000
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $1,400,000$1,400,000
    RD
    RFA - 1
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $1,100,000$1,100,000
    RD
    RFA - 2
    $5,625,000$5,625,000
    LD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $875,000$875,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    $4,687,500$4,687,500
    G
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
    $900,000$900,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Aug. 25, 2023 at 8:22 a.m.
    Not for that price. Gotta do a whole lot better
    Rage44 liked this.
    Aug. 25, 2023 at 8:51 a.m.
    Pitt does that in a heartbeat I would think. Although giving up another one of our firsts for a guy on an expiring contract that might not even resign gives me pause for concern.
    Aug. 25, 2023 at 8:53 a.m.
    Sadness
    Quoting: Penz87
    Pitt does that in a heartbeat I would think. Although giving up another one of our firsts for a guy on an expiring contract that might not even resign gives me pause for concern.

If PIT really is in a win now mode for Crosby I think they do it
    Penz87 and palhal liked this.
    Aug. 25, 2023 at 8:56 a.m.
    FKA Bigtittielarper
    Yeah that ain’t gonna cut it
    Rage44 and CameronSquires liked this.
    Aug. 25, 2023 at 8:57 a.m.
    Quoting: CameronSquires

Probably, but Pitt also doesn't have the cap space for him even with the retention.
    CameronSquires liked this.
    Aug. 25, 2023 at 9:17 a.m.
    14m in dead cap
    Ignoring whether what is sent back is enough for Nylander for a minute, I can't imagine Toronto is going to want to retain $3m in a year they're also trying to contend. Since they're using LTIR, they're not going to accrue any extra cap to allow them to make a deadline move and if they traded Nylander, they're going to definitely want to try to land a difference maker to replace him.

While I think it's unlikely they trade Nylander even if he's 100% set on hitting free agency next summer, if they did it would only be because Treliving has a 2nd deal lined up to replace him with someone he thinks they have a better chance of winning with.
    Aug. 25, 2023 at 9:30 a.m.
    Ana isn't eating 3MM for a 4th
    Aug. 25, 2023 at 9:33 a.m.
    Since toronto is trying to win a cup, not rebuild, they should just keep nylander as an "own rental" and continue to try and sign him.

Punting on the season for a draft pick after all alternatives already signed elsewhere is not smart.
    Rage44 and CameronSquires liked this.
    Aug. 25, 2023 at 9:34 a.m.
    Nylander isn't going anywhere for spare parts and mid-range futures.
    Aug. 25, 2023 at 9:52 a.m.
    LongtimeLeafsufferer
    Quoting: CameronSquires

But the Leafs are in a win mode too, so don't think they do it. Pitlick and Nieto shouldn't even make the Leafs.
    CameronSquires, JayTea and Rage44 liked this.
    Aug. 25, 2023 at 9:57 a.m.
    Quoting: palhal
    But the Leafs are in a win mode too, so don't think they do it. Pitlick and Nieto shouldn't even make the Leafs.

I agree the Leafs won't do it but both Pitlick and Nieto are better than Reaves.
    Aug. 25, 2023 at 10:03 a.m.
    LongtimeLeafsufferer
    Quoting: Victor24
    I agree the Leafs won't do it but both Pitlick and Nieto are better than Reaves.

Right or wrong, Reaves was brought in for a reason. I don't expect him to playing every game.
    Aug. 25, 2023 at 10:06 a.m.
    arky
    Pens and Leafs are in different points, Leafs are still as ending while Pens are at the end of a long ride. Both in Win now modes but Pens have more urgency. The problem is Leafs are not doing this, Pens are, but to ask a team to retain 3 million in a very tight cap year and only give a 4th round pi k is not going to fly. Ducks will want at least a 3rd and probably a 2bd to do this. There is not incentive for them to eat 3 million in real dollars for a 4th.
    CameronSquires and palhal liked this.
    Aug. 25, 2023 at 10:51 a.m.
    LongtimeLeafsufferer
    Quoting: mikearky
    Pens and Leafs are in different points, Leafs are still as ending while Pens are at the end of a long ride. Both in Win now modes but Pens have more urgency. The problem is Leafs are not doing this, Pens are, but to ask a team to retain 3 million in a very tight cap year and only give a 4th round pi k is not going to fly. Ducks will want at least a 3rd and probably a 2bd to do this. There is not incentive for them to eat 3 million in real dollars for a 4th.

Agree with you both team are in win mode. Actually I like the Leafs situation next season. Nylander, Bertuzzi, Domi, Brodie, Klingberg, Samsonov, Lafferty, are UFAs....that's over 25m. Just one RFA, Liljegren to resign. Not going be able to resign everyone, but about 25m to sign 7 players. My opinion, Nylander is not a Leaf next season.
    mikearky liked this.
    Aug. 25, 2023 at 11:12 a.m.
    we miss leo k
    If this is all you get for Nylander, then keep him through the deadline - first off, he's going to be better than any potential rental you can think of replacing him with; and second, even if you do think that a guy like Mark Scheifele or Sam Reinhart or [insert rental you like here] is a better fit for the Leafs, it surely will cost more than this sorry pile of picks and non-prospects you're getting back for Willie.

I honestly cannot think of a realistic Nylander trade that makes Toronto better in the immediate future, which is where they are as a team right now. If that's the case, you have to keep him - even if it risks losing him for nothing next July.
    palhal and Rage44 liked this.
    Aug. 25, 2023 at 12:03 p.m.
    LongtimeLeafsufferer
    Quoting: dannibalcorpse
    If this is all you get for Nylander, then keep him through the deadline - first off, he's going to be better than any potential rental you can think of replacing him with; and second, even if you do think that a guy like Mark Scheifele or Sam Reinhart or [insert rental you like here] is a better fit for the Leafs, it surely will cost more than this sorry pile of picks and non-prospects you're getting back for Willie.

I honestly cannot think of a realistic Nylander trade that makes Toronto better in the immediate future, which is where they are as a team right now. If that's the case, you have to keep him - even if it risks losing him for nothing next July.

You're on a roll today. I don't know why folks are so obsessed with trading Nylander "because they may lose him for nothing". Isn't that nature of free agency? Leafs signed Bertuzzi, Domi, Reaves, Klingberg without giving up anything as UFA, but there seems to be that the Leafs are entitled for reimbursement for Nylander.

The only type of trade IMO that makes sense is like a Pesce/Nylander trade. Even if Leafs get a "lesser" player, it kinda fits a need and the Leafs get needed cap space. But virtually any other trade doesn't make sense for the win now Leafs.
    dannibalcorpse liked this.
    Aug. 25, 2023 at 12:04 p.m.
    Right or wrong, Reaves was brought in for a reason. I don't expect him to playing every game.

I get that. But 1.4MM for an "enforcer" who can barely skate (by NHL standards) is a mistake. I would suspect he rarely plays.
    Aug. 25, 2023 at 12:11 p.m.
    LongtimeLeafsufferer
    Quoting: Victor24
    I get that. But 1.4MM for an "enforcer" who can barely skate (by NHL standards) is a mistake. I would suspect he rarely plays.

I've even suggested that Leafs waive Reaves. Can't see him being claimed as no other team offered him that three year contract.
    The waiver would be just a paper move. He may never play a Marlie game or certainly wouldn't be playing any road games
    His cap as a Marlie would be 150,000. His replacement such as Robertson cost 800,000 so the Leafs save 400,000 in cap if this happened all season. But injuries happen and I expect Reaves to be on the Leafs roster most of the season.
    Victor24 liked this.
    Aug. 25, 2023 at 12:13 p.m.
    we miss leo k
    You're on a roll today. I don't know why folks are so obsessed with trading Nylander "because they may lose him for nothing". Isn't that nature of free agency? Leafs signed Bertuzzi, Domi, Reaves, Klingberg without giving up anything as UFA, but there seems to be that the Leafs are entitled for reimbursement for Nylander.

The only type of trade IMO that makes sense is like a Pesce/Nylander trade. Even if Leafs get a "lesser" player, it kinda fits a need and the Leafs get needed cap space. But virtually any other trade doesn't make sense for the win now Leafs.

Thanks!

I'm an Islanders fan, I'm painfully aware of getting nothing back for your superstar when they walk in free agency, and totally understand why other fanbases want to get *something* in return for that player before they leave. But short of another team offering up a 70 point winger with RFA control, I can't see any move where the Leafs get *better* before the season by moving out Nylander. Removing him puts a big hole in your top 6 and getting back picks & prospects that might take 2-4 years to have an NHL impact doesn't line up with a team with Cup aspirations right now.

There's still a good chance you can retain him this summer, seeing as how the LTIR guys fall off and Matthews' new deal only soaks up an extra $1.6M off the cap. Sure, you might have to run a little more bare-bones bottom-6 if you give Nylander a $9M AAV but the cap should conceivably rise again after 2024-25 and you'll have even more big money falling off. Or, if you really like a guy like Sam Reinhart, you'll have the money to chase him next summer instead.

Long story short, the only way I see a Nylander trade making any sense is if the Leafs absolutely fall apart and aren't gonna make the playoffs. It's not impossible, but it's incredibly unlikely. Keep the star player and make one more run at the Cup while you have him.
    palhal liked this.
    Aug. 25, 2023 at 12:27 p.m.
    LongtimeLeafsufferer
    Quoting: dannibalcorpse
    Thanks!

I'm an Islanders fan, I'm painfully aware of getting nothing back for your superstar when they walk in free agency, and totally understand why other fanbases want to get *something* in return for that player before they leave. But short of another team offering up a 70 point winger with RFA control, I can't see any move where the Leafs get *better* before the season by moving out Nylander. Removing him puts a big hole in your top 6 and getting back picks & prospects that might take 2-4 years to have an NHL impact doesn't line up with a team with Cup aspirations right now.

There's still a good chance you can retain him this summer, seeing as how the LTIR guys fall off and Matthews' new deal only soaks up an extra $1.6M off the cap. Sure, you might have to run a little more bare-bones bottom-6 if you give Nylander a $9M AAV but the cap should conceivably rise again after 2024-25 and you'll have even more big money falling off. Or, if you really like a guy like Sam Reinhart, you'll have the money to chase him next summer instead.

Long story short, the only way I see a Nylander trade making any sense is if the Leafs absolutely fall apart and aren't gonna make the playoffs. It's not impossible, but it's incredibly unlikely. Keep the star player and make one more run at the Cup while you have him.

Leafs might have the most upcoming UFAs next summer. Nylander, Bertuzzi, Domi, Lafferty, Brodie, Klingberg, Giordano, Samsonov.....that's 30.5m and just one RFA Liljgren to resign. Shirley, the Leafs can fill those eight potential UFA spots with 30m. Not all will be resigned. Her's what a think Bertuzzi, Domi UFA Toffelli, and Robertson fill the four forward spots at 17m, Brodie takes a discount, Nielma joins the NHL at total of 4m....that 21m. Samsonov resigns at 5m. That's 26m.
    Leafs might lose Nylander but still have very good roster. Toffelli replaces Nylander. Heck the Leafs still have cap if they want Nylander and not sign Toffelli, but I wouldn't overpay Nylander in $$$ or term
    dannibalcorpse and mikearky liked this.
    Aug. 25, 2023 at 5:49 p.m.
    I've even suggested that Leafs waive Reaves. Can't see him being claimed as no other team offered him that three year contract.
    The waiver would be just a paper move. He may never play a Marlie game or certainly wouldn't be playing any road games
    His cap as a Marlie would be 150,000. His replacement such as Robertson cost 800,000 so the Leafs save 400,000 in cap if this happened all season. But injuries happen and I expect Reaves to be on the Leafs roster most of the season.

Yeah, I could see that happening. I can't figure out how guys like Reaves keep getting contracts...
    palhal liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll