Some other ideas I have explored recently

Created by: sensonfire
Team: 2023-24 Ottawa Senators
Initial Creation Date: Aug. 31, 2023
Published: Aug. 31, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Enough of that trade with Chicago.

Let's explore some other ideas I've had recently.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,800,000
1$800,000
Trades
OTT
  1. 2026 2nd round pick (COL)
COL
  1. Kubalik, Dominik
Additional Details:
Trade is contingent on Colorado finding a taker for Francouz.
LAK
  1. Thomson, Lassi
Additional Details:
Change of scenery for two struggling prospects at risk of turning into busts.
OTT
  1. Joseph, Pierre-Olivier
  2. Pitlick, Rem
  3. 2026 3rd round pick (SJS)
Additional Details:
Ottawa gets Mathieu Joseph's brother and a son of a former Ottawa Senator.
PIT
  1. Brännström, Erik
Additional Details:
Brannstrom is somebody that could emulate his game from EK65.

Might work out.
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the DET
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the DET
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the COL
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$83,500,000$80,992,380$0$1,850,000$2,507,620

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Ottawa Senators
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RW, C
NMC
UFA - 2
$8,350,000$8,350,000
C
UFA - 8
$2,500,000$2,500,000
RW
NTC
UFA - 1
$8,205,714$8,205,714
LW
UFA - 5
$7,950,000$7,950,000
C
UFA - 7
$4,975,000$4,975,000
RW, LW
UFA - 4
$863,333$863,333
C, LW
RFA - 2
$1,800,000$1,800,000
C
RFA - 1
$2,950,000$2,950,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$800,000$800,000
LW
RFA - 1
$835,000$835,000
C, RW
RFA - 2
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$1,100,000$1,100,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$8,000,000$8,000,000
LD
UFA - 5
$4,600,000$4,600,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,000,000$4,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$1,850,000$2M)
LD
UFA - 1
$4,600,000$4,600,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$2,750,000$2,750,000
G
UFA - 2
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$825,000$825,000
LD
RFA - 1
$1,100,000$1,100,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$805,000$805,000
RD
RFA - 2
$775,000$775,000
RW, C
UFA - 3
$762,500$762,500
LW
RFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Aug. 31, 2023 at 6:35 p.m.
Pens decline. POJ is the best player in the deal and Brannstrom is the most expensive. So no way the pens add a bottom 6 forward and 3rd rd pick.
Aug. 31, 2023 at 6:39 p.m.
Edited Aug. 31, 2023 at 6:51 p.m.
Quoting: MeetYourMakar
Wrong, but good try there buddy. Lars filled a need, kubalik doesn't. There was a reason the Wings forced him on you guys.

How do you know he was "forced" on the Sens? Dorion wanted a roster player

Why would you want to move him if he scores so well, you guys are out of your rebuild, no?

Because it makes much more sense to move him than Joseph, as the Sens need to create some cap space to sign Pinto and have a bit of leeway. Sens would get a pick instead of paying one to move Joseph. Kubalik would need some PP time but the 2 PP units are already stacked without Greig and Brannstrom having a spot. Joseph is much better defensively at ES and constantly has elite PK metrics. He produces almost as much at ES. Kubalik is UFA and Sens won't have a spot for him, as they should use the cap space to go after a bigger fish to replace Tarasenko. If Joseph rebounds to 2021-22 form, not only he is valuable but he has then positive value as the cap rises.

Should have about 4.9m freeing up shortly
Edit:4.975m

Not sure this kind of comment is permitted on the site.
sensonfire liked this.
Aug. 31, 2023 at 6:51 p.m.
sensonfire
Quoting: CCM46
Pens probably would accept this, seems fair from both sides..... Pens would just need to get a shutdown RHD to play with him

Quoting: Hockeyfan1234
Pens decline. POJ is the best player in the deal and Brannstrom is the most expensive. So no way the pens add a bottom 6 forward and 3rd rd pick.

Yeah, I'm not sure about what to make of this. `
Aug. 31, 2023 at 6:51 p.m.
Edited Sep. 1, 2023 at 7:07 p.m.
Quoting: Celtics21
Just curious. Do Ottawa fans believe Thompson is going to develop into a top 6 defenseman? I realize he was a first round pick, but I haven’t been super impressed with him at the AHL level.

Have you seen him play in the AHL? He definitely has a good offensive skillset but he won't ever get a good opportunity in Ottawa with all the D-men who want to claim PP time already (Chabot, Chychrun, Sanderson, Brannstrom, Kleven, even Zub)

His hockey IQ is what holds him back as his defense won't be good enough to be a 2nd pairing D-man but as a 3rd pairing OFD, somewhat sheltered and with PP time, he could be valuable

Sorry but no. Brannstrom is younger, has a better PPG (edit : the last 3 years), better defensive metrics, more untapped potential

The only reason it would be interesting for Ottawa is the pick and that it could be extra motivation for the 2 Josephs. OP intention with Pitlick is to send Kelly to the AHL for a small 4th line upgrade
sensonfire liked this.
Aug. 31, 2023 at 7:03 p.m.
Quoting: Xspyrit
Have you seen him play in the AHL? He definitely has a good offensive skillset but he won't ever get a good opportunity in Ottawa with all the D-men who want to claim PP time already (Chabot, Chychrun, Sanderson, Brannstrom, Kleven, even Zub)

His hockey IQ is what holds him back as his defense won't be good enough to be a 2nd pairing D-man but as a 3rd pairing OFD, somewhat sheltered and with PP time, he could be valuable

Sorry but no. Brannstrom is younger, has a better PPG, better defensive metrics, more untapped potential

The only reason it would be interesting for Ottawa is the pick and that it could be extra motivation for the 2 Josephs. OP intention with Pitlick is either to send him to the AHL or send Kelly instead.

This is just a whole lot of inaccurate lol.
POJ had 21 points including 5 goals last year in 75 games vs Brannstrom who had 18 points including 2 goals in 74 games.
POJ is better on the PP, better finishing, better G/60, better A1/60, played vs better competition while playing with worse a worse partner. And doesn’t take as many bad penalties. POJ P/60 last year was 1.1 to Brannstrom’s .9. As for the age difference, they are like 60 days apart lol. That’s just a weak excuse grasping for straws
Aug. 31, 2023 at 7:57 p.m.

His hockey IQ is what holds him back

I have and I generally don’t believe players who play defense like him gain roles in the NHL. I think it’s more than hockey IQ. He lacks the requisite physicality based on what I’ve seen to date, but I agree he’s not a smart player.

He’s worth a flyer.

Compare him to Connor Carrick or Reilly Walsh and I see a lesser player than them at the AHL level. There is obvious talent, but something is missing.
Xspyrit liked this.
Aug. 31, 2023 at 8:16 p.m.
Quoting: sensonfire
If you prefer to spend 2 million so Francouz can sit on a bench, then that's just dandy.

You're damn right I'm happy the Avs spend that on Frankie in case Georgie goes down or he's needed to step in like he did for Kuemper in the cup run. Guessing you missed that bit.
Aug. 31, 2023 at 9:20 p.m.
Quoting: TJTwolf
You're damn right I'm happy the Avs spend that on Frankie in case Georgie goes down or he's needed to step in like he did for Kuemper in the cup run. Guessing you missed that bit.

Yeah, this is the reason they spend that money. Also, let's not forget the bubble run where we tried to ride Michael Hutchinson to a cup......cheap backups always bite you in the butt.
TJTwolf and LittleBuddha liked this.
Aug. 31, 2023 at 9:34 p.m.
sensonfire

There's just one problem.

In the first round against Seattle last Spring, he never did.

That was more recent than the Cup run.

Any goalie making league minimum could have done what Francouz did.

Which was sit on a bench.

Guessing you missed that bit.
Aug. 31, 2023 at 9:55 p.m.

You wouldnt cheap out on a parachute if you're flying a plane would you? It's a safety measure and while it costs 1.5m more than the bare minimum, its worth it if the plane gets a stick in the eye.. lol
TJTwolf liked this.
Aug. 31, 2023 at 10:06 p.m.
How do you know he was "forced" on the Sens? Dorion wanted a roster player

Because it makes much more sense to move him than Joseph, as the Sens need to create some cap space to sign Pinto and have a bit of leeway. Sens would get a pick instead of paying one to move Joseph. Kubalik would need some PP time but the 2 PP units are already stacked without Greig and Brannstrom having a spot. Joseph is much better defensively at ES and constantly has elite PK metrics. He produces almost as much at ES. Kubalik is UFA and Sens won't have a spot for him, as they should use the cap space to go after a bigger fish to replace Tarasenko. If Joseph rebounds to 2021-22 form, not only he is valuable but he has then positive value as the cap rises.

Not sure this kind of comment is permitted on the site.

-Forced is a guess, I could easily be wrong and he was a requested piece.
-If he can't cut it on Sens 2nd pp, he aint on the Avs. He also does not fill a need, Avs need a pk c/w.
-Why, what did I say that is so bad?
Aug. 31, 2023 at 10:16 p.m.
sensonfire
You wouldnt cheap out on a parachute if you're flying a plane would you? It's a safety measure and while it costs 1.5m more than the bare minimum, its worth it if the plane gets a stick in the eye.. lol

Francouz the parachute didn't save the plane from crashing against Seattle, did he?

There are multiple teams across the NHL that spend about league minimum on a backup goalie.

Because whatever amount of cap space they have left is better spent on players that do more than sit on a bench all game.

Food for thought.
Sep. 1, 2023 at 3:50 a.m.

No I certainly didn't, but it's kind of hard for the back up to play when the starter is fit, (and Georgie wasn't the reason the Avs went out before you say it).....or did you miss THAT bit too in learning about hockey? You can only play one goalie! Your argument is dumb which only goes to prove you don't really have one.
MeetYourMakar liked this.
Sep. 1, 2023 at 8:14 a.m.
sensonfire
No I certainly didn't, but it's kind of hard for the back up to play when the starter is fit, (and Georgie wasn't the reason the Avs went out before you say it).....or did you miss THAT bit too in learning about hockey? You can only play one goalie! Your argument is dumb which only goes to prove you don't really have one.

I thought Georgiev did what he could.

Unfortunately, he was only good enough to win 3 games for the Avs against Seattle instead of 4.

It is what it is ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

And given that you can only play 1 goalie at a time and that Francouz never saw playoff action against Seattle, that makes Francouz expendable.

It's not that hard to figure out.
Sep. 1, 2023 at 11:15 a.m.
I thought Georgiev did what he could.

Unfortunately, he was only good enough to win 3 games for the Avs against Seattle instead of 4.

It is what it is ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

And given that you can only play 1 goalie at a time and that Francouz never saw playoff action against Seattle, that makes Francouz expendable.

It's not that hard to figure out.

Except you're having a hard time figuring out that a back up like Frankie isn't expendable when you're competing......but then you're a Sens fan so what can I say!?!
LittleBuddha liked this.
Sep. 1, 2023 at 12:39 p.m.
To make cap space for Kubalik.

Money spent on a backup goalie is better spent on more pressing needs.

Not when they sweep the the Oil in the WCF when the starter goes down. I would rather spend the 1mil extra for that kind of insurance than a 13th forward that May see 4-8 mins a night under Bednar.
Sep. 1, 2023 at 12:44 p.m.

I'm guessing you missed the part about pretty much in contention to lead the league in injuries last season. I 'm guessing that had more to do with getting tossed in the 1st rd than Frankie on the bench. And last year the whole 1mil we'd have saved still wouldn't have got us through the first.
Sep. 1, 2023 at 1:03 p.m.
sensonfire
Except you're having a hard time figuring out that a back up like Frankie isn't expendable when you're competing......but then you're a Sens fan so what can I say!?!

You can't compete when you're sitting in a high chair next to the team's bench all game.

I'm sorry that still hasn't dawned on you.
Sep. 1, 2023 at 1:20 p.m.
sensonfire
Quoting: LittleBuddha
Not when they sweep the the Oil in the WCF when the starter goes down. I would rather spend the 1mil extra for that kind of insurance than a 13th forward that May see 4-8 mins a night under Bednar.

And what happened more recently?

Avs lose in the first round to Seattle with Francouz stapled to a high chair.

You don't exactly need premium insurance for that.

And thinking a 20+ scorer like Kubalik would be the Avs' 13th forward playing 4-8 minutes means that you're as high as a kite on every forward playing for the Avs.

Classic case of the endowment effect.

Look it up.

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/e/endowment-effect.asp
Sep. 1, 2023 at 1:40 p.m.
sensonfire
Quoting: LittleBuddha
I'm guessing you missed the part about pretty much in contention to lead the league in injuries last season. I 'm guessing that had more to do with getting tossed in the 1st rd than Frankie on the bench. And last year the whole 1mil we'd have saved still wouldn't have got us through the first.

And now you're going down a rabbit hole about "leading the league in injuries last season".

As if I'm supposed to feel sorry for the Avs.

The world doesn't revolve around your pity party.

Get used to it.
Sep. 1, 2023 at 7:30 p.m.
This is just a whole lot of inaccurate lol.
POJ had 21 points including 5 goals last year in 75 games vs Brannstrom who had 18 points including 2 goals in 74 games.
POJ is better on the PP, better finishing, better G/60, better A1/60, played vs better competition while playing with worse a worse partner. And doesn’t take as many bad penalties. POJ P/60 last year was 1.1 to Brannstrom’s .9. As for the age difference, they are like 60 days apart lol. That’s just a weak excuse grasping for straws

oooook, so I see that I'll have to walk you through it (italics is what I wrote)

- Brannstrom is younger : FACT (23 vs 24)

- has a better PPG : I meant to wrote "the last 3 years" to compare the same ages (FACT : 0.29 vs 0.27)

- better defensive metrics : I didn't realize I had to be extremely precise so here you go. I was talking on-ice last season at ES of course (FACT : CA/60, FA/60, SA/60, xGA/60)

- more untapped potential : this one is more of an opinion but was pretty standard among the hockey community. Brannstrom has higher pedigree, used to be ranked very high as a prospect

I don't know where you get your "whole lot of inaccurate lol" from. How could I know that I had to walk you through every little thing?

What I find funny is you calling for inaccuracy while the facts you brought are all around pts (I mean, I'm pretty informed in advanced stats so it made me chuckle a little) from last season and this :

Brannstrom mainly played with a declined Nick Holden who completely fell off a cliff last season, so much that he is without a contract now. POJ played with Ruhwedel, Petry, Rutta and Letang. Much better players than Holden.
Sep. 1, 2023 at 7:36 p.m.
-Forced is a guess, I could easily be wrong and he was a requested piece.
-If he can't cut it on Sens 2nd pp, he aint on the Avs. He also does not fill a need, Avs need a pk c/w.
-Why, what did I say that is so bad?

- Dorion needed to get a roster player back.

- It's not that he can't cut it, but the 2 PPs are already stacked, with or without him.

Then Mathieu Joseph would be a smart pickup, he's a PK expert and can produce as much at ES (had 30 ES + PK pts in 69 games in 2021-22)

Problem is that it would be hard to make it work cap wise for both teams

- I don't know where to find the warning but I have seen some mods saying that you can't condemn any player about this, yet. We are still in speculation stage.
Sep. 2, 2023 at 12:29 a.m.
Edited Sep. 2, 2023 at 12:35 a.m.
oooook, so I see that I'll have to walk you through it (italics is what I wrote)

- Brannstrom is younger : FACT (23 vs 24)

- has a better PPG : I meant to wrote "the last 3 years" to compare the same ages (FACT : 0.29 vs 0.27)

- better defensive metrics : I didn't realize I had to be extremely precise so here you go. I was talking on-ice last season at ES of course (FACT : CA/60, FA/60, SA/60, xGA/60)

- more untapped potential : this one is more of an opinion but was pretty standard among the hockey community. Brannstrom has higher pedigree, used to be ranked very high as a prospect

I don't know where you get your "whole lot of inaccurate lol" from. How could I know that I had to walk you through every little thing?

What I find funny is you calling for inaccuracy while the facts you brought are all around pts (I mean, I'm pretty informed in advanced stats so it made me chuckle a little) from last season and this :

Brannstrom mainly played with a declined Nick Holden who completely fell off a cliff last season, so much that he is without a contract now. POJ played with Ruhwedel, Petry, Rutta and Letang. Much better players than Holden.

Again Brannstrom is younger by like 60 days. It’s still weak and grasping at straws. If you really had a legit argument you wouldn’t need to use age for players that are literally 2 months apart in age lol.

Ppg over the last 3 years. 1. Yes you should explain that as how would anyone assume that’s what you’re talking about since POJ has only played 1 full season (last year). 2. Again cherry picking stats is a weak argument. Idc and no GM is going to take what a player did 3 years ago over what they did last year. Hockey is a what have you done for me lately business. That’s just a fact and POJ had a better year than Brannstrom last year.

Wait you took offensive stats over the last 3 years but only took certain defensive stats over last year at ES. Talk about proving you are cherry picking stats. Have you ever heard of “Lies, damned lies, and statistics”? If not you should look it up.

It’s funny to me how you named half of the pens d that POJ played at least a few minutes with yet refused to acknowledge that Brannstrom also played with Chabot, Zub, Zaitsev also.
By the way, POJ’s most common parter was Ruhwedel, who is a 7th dman. His next most common partner was Petry who fell off a cliff and had a bad season. His 3rd most common partner was Rutta who was injured and just looked like a 6/7 d last year. He also played time with Dumo who was extreme hot garbage, Friedman who spent the majority of time in the AHL, Smith who also spent most of the time in the AHL, Kulikov who was injured most of the time he was here and was a cap dump.
Sep. 3, 2023 at 4:24 a.m.
You can't compete when you're sitting in a high chair next to the team's bench all game.

I'm sorry that still hasn't dawned on you.

Obvious troll is obvious. You're wrong. Get over it. Now I'm done feeding you!
Sep. 3, 2023 at 10:59 p.m.
And what happened more recently?

Avs lose in the first round to Seattle with Francouz stapled to a high chair.

You don't exactly need premium insurance for that.

And thinking a 20+ scorer like Kubalik would be the Avs' 13th forward playing 4-8 minutes means that you're as high as a kite on every forward playing for the Avs.

Classic case of the endowment effect.

Look it up.

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/e/endowment-effect.asp

Calm down. I was referring to last year and the extra mil.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll