Forums/Armchair-GM

Almost Here

Created by: BUFF36
Team: 2023-24 Buffalo Sabres
Initial Creation Date: Sep. 2, 2023
Published: Sep. 2, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Trying something Different because I think Kulich is gonna be a Monster this Year. Hearing he put on 10 more pounds, kid is built like a bulldozer.
And I changed up D pairings a bit, this gives Samuelsson and Joker the opportunity to help lesson the Minutes for Johnson and for Clifton until we know he can play 20min a night regularly.
And Casey and Kulich can flop lines when needed if someone is struggling.
Trades
BUF
  1. 2024 3rd round pick (OTT)
  2. 2026 2nd round pick (TOR)
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the NSH
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$83,500,000$70,666,903$0$4,570,000$12,833,097
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
$9,000,000$9,000,000
LW, RW
NMC
UFA - 4
$7,142,857$7,142,857
C
UFA - 7
$4,750,000$4,750,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$918,333$918,333
C, LW
RFA - 3
$7,100,000$7,100,000
C, LW
UFA - 7
$855,833$855,833 (Performance Bonus$32,500$32K)
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LW, C
RFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$412,500$412K)
C, LW
RFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
C
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
RW
RFA - 2
$2,500,000$2,500,000 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$3,333,333$3,333,333
RD
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$925,000$925K)
G
RFA - 2
$916,667$916,667 (Performance Bonus$1,850,000$2M)
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$3,250,000$3,250,000
RD
UFA - 1
$837,500$837,500
G
RFA - 1
$4,285,714$4,285,714
LD
UFA - 7
$2,500,000$2,500,000
RD
RFA - 1
$1,800,000$1,800,000
G
UFA - 1
$1,350,000$1,350,000
LD
RFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW, LW
RFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Sep. 2, 2023 at 7:06 a.m.
exo2769
Zero chance Hawks give you either of those picks. Makes no sense for them. I get why BUF wants to do it.

"I would say we are, if not done, we're very, very, very close to being done," Davidson said. "There's always things that could come up, but I don't foresee anything coming down the pipe."
BUFF36, Snowhawk18, Hawksguy81 and 2 others liked this.
Sep. 2, 2023 at 7:47 a.m.
I do not think the chances are very high of getting that return for Olofsson, no matter what team is involved.
BUFF36, Snowhawk18, Hawksguy81 and 2 others liked this.
Sep. 2, 2023 at 8:25 a.m.
Quoting: YeahRighttt
I do not think the chances are very high of getting that return for Olofsson, no matter what team is involved.

Probably right, but in the right situation he would be a decent get.
Snowhawk18, Patches and Garak liked this.
Sep. 2, 2023 at 8:39 a.m.
Quoting: BUFF36

Agreed, he is an NHL caliber player who can bring offense to a team. It’s just a question of who & how much of a return he could get. He isn’t the most defensively competent player & can be streaky (as most offensive players can be). Playing a full 82 games would increase his value also.
BUFF36, Snowhawk18 and Patches liked this.
Sep. 2, 2023 at 10:13 a.m.
Clifton is not an NHL pair 1 guy. 2nd at best. Should be 3rd
I can see Sabres starting with pairs like this:
Dahl Joki
Power Clif
Sammy E John
Dahlin and Joki played well together the problem was they thought Joki could pair a D and he couldn’t when they split them up.
Also Okposso is not Sabres 13 fwd. No way they brought him back and have your captain sitting out.
BUFF36 and gretzkyghosts liked this.
Sep. 2, 2023 at 10:44 a.m.
Quoting: PHEN
Dahl Joki
Power Clif
Sammy E John
Dahlin and Joki played well together the problem was they thought Joki could pair a D and he couldn’t when they split them up.
Also Okposso is not Sabres 13 fwd. No way they brought him back and have your captain sitting out.

We don't know if Clifton is a Top Pair guy, he has never been totally been givin that chance. He played over 19min a game 20 times last year. We need to see if he can do that consistently and keep his Defensive Metrics. If he can he's better Defensively than Samuelsson.
gretzkyghosts and Garak liked this.
Sep. 2, 2023 at 10:46 a.m.
Dahl Joki
Power Clif
Sammy E John

Well Okposo is here, him and Rousek can switch when needed.
Sep. 2, 2023 at 10:55 a.m.
We don't know if Clifton is a Top Pair guy, he has never been totally been givin that chance. He played over 19min a game 20 times last year. We need to see if he can do that consistently and keep his Defensive Metrics. If he can he's better Defensively than Samuelsson.

I agree. But I think they are going to give him time to get his Min up and feet wet with the new team. I can see middle of year try it if things aren’t working.
I could also see
Sammy Dahl
Power Joki
E John Clifton
Let E John get Cliff going before he moves up the D pairings
BUFF36 and gretzkyghosts liked this.
Sep. 2, 2023 at 11:03 a.m.

I know. That is why I said no way our captain is sitting if healthy. Olofsson also is going to get every situation to succeed with Buffalo. If dealt he will be traded at trade deadline. I can see a Joki Olofsson Rousek trade for something with maybe others if in contention. So many options. And when Quinn comes back even more decisions
Sep. 2, 2023 at 11:14 a.m.
I agree. But I think they are going to give him time to get his Min up and feet wet with the new team. I can see middle of year try it if things aren’t working.
I could also see
Sammy Dahl
Power Joki
E John Clifton
Let E John get Cliff going before he moves up the D pairings

That's where I believe Samuelsson and Joker can come in, they can take a shift or 2 a period with Dahlin or Power to allow Clifton to adjust to the extra minutes and hopefully help Johnson stay Healthy. Never happen but just thoughts
gretzkyghosts liked this.
Sep. 2, 2023 at 12:22 p.m.
@PHEN
Quoting: exo2769
Zero chance Hawks give you either of those picks. Makes no sense for them. I get why BUF wants to do it.
"I would say we are, if not done, we're very, very, very close to being done," Davidson said. "There's always things that could come up, but I don't foresee anything coming down the pipe."

Olofsson bashed by everyone on this site, including Sabre fans.
He is included in trades not because he is a dump or bad but because Buffalo has Kulich, Savoie, Benson, Ostlund etc who will earn 1/5 of his currently salary next year.

I have absolutely no idea what Olofsson will bring if the Sabres decide to trade him.
Some team looking for goals at the TDL will give the Sabres at least a second if not more, providing he is producing as well as he did last year.

You do know over the last four seasons Boeser has played 583:45 more minutes than Olofsson but has one less goal (80 v Olofsson's 81).
Two seasons since they both signed new contracts each Boeser goal cost $309,302 while each Olofsson goal cost $197,917.
Last season Brock played over 60% of the time with one of Miller, Horvat or Petterson as his line mate.
Last season Victor played about 10% of the time with our top two centers Cozens or Thompson.
Most NHL fans would think Brock is worth a first or more.

Last season Olofsson had more goals than DeBrincat yet he played 483 fewer minutes.
Neither of Victor nor Alex are noted for their defense, but Alex certainly returned a bundle.

Finally, only 22 NHL forwards scored at a faster rate than victor's 1.6 goals/60 last year.
This is not to say Victor is better or even as good as Alex, just making the point that he is a very good sniper, and it is unlikely Buffalo would just give him away.

There, I got that out of system. laugh laugh laugh laugh
Patches, BUFF36, exo2769 and 1 other person liked this.
Sep. 2, 2023 at 12:55 p.m.
I don't see P. Kane signed here.

Sign P. Kane, you'll make the playoffs by leap frogging the Bruins.
AntiAnalytics liked this.
Sep. 2, 2023 at 1:39 p.m.
Quoting: gretzkyghosts
PHEN
He is included in trades not because he is a dump or bad but because Buffalo has Kulich, Savoie, Benson, Ostlund etc who will earn 1/5 of his currently salary next year.

I have absolutely no idea what Olofsson will bring if the Sabres decide to trade him.
Some team looking for goals at the TDL will give the Sabres at least a second if not more, providing he is producing as well as he did last year.

You do know over the last four seasons Boeser has played 583:45 more minutes than Olofsson but has one less goal (80 v Olofsson's 81).
Two seasons since they both signed new contracts each Boeser goal cost $309,302 while each Olofsson goal cost $197,917.
Last season Brock played over 60% of the time with one of Miller, Horvat or Petterson as his line mate.
Last season Victor played about 10% of the time with our top two centers Cozens or Thompson.

Last season Olofsson had more goals than DeBrincat yet he played 483 fewer minutes.
Neither of Victor nor Alex are noted for their defense, but Alex certainly returned a bundle.

Finally, only 22 NHL forwards scored at a faster rate than victor's 1.6 goals/60 last year.
This is not to say Victor is better or even as good as Alex, just making the point that he is a very good sniper, and it is unlikely Buffalo would just give him away.

I completely respect your right to your opinion & never would try & tell you can’t have a POV.
However, I would pump the brakes on comparing Olofsson & Kitty. Olofsdon had 1 more goal than him in 1 season. Kitty has multiple 40 goal seasons, Olofsson hasn’t sniffed that yet. Also Kitty is none for being a tenacious backchecker & routinely causes turnovers. I have never seen Olofsson play that way.
It has been disappointing to see how Boeser’s career has gone so far. He has not become the player everyone thought he would because of constant injury problems. I guess that is how it goes sometimes.
Sep. 2, 2023 at 2:05 p.m.
I completely respect your right to your opinion & never would try & tell you can’t have a POV.
However, I would pump the brakes on comparing Olofsson & Kitty. Olofsdon had 1 more goal than him in 1 season. Kitty has multiple 40 goal seasons, Olofsson hasn’t sniffed that yet. Also Kitty is none for being a tenacious backchecker & routinely causes turnovers. I have never seen Olofsson play that way.
It has been disappointing to see how Boeser’s career has gone so far. He has not become the player everyone thought he would because of constant injury problems. I guess that is how it goes sometimes.
I rarely respond because you said you are entitled to your POV.
On the other hand you completely missed MY POV:
"This is not to say Victor is better or even as good as Alex, just making the point that he is a very good sniper, and it is unlikely Buffalo would just give him away."
Purhaps you could go back and review my original post as you quoted it.
I have no idea what he will return, but considering how people value Boeser and the return that DeBrincat earned, a second and third is not out of the question.
That is less than half of how people value Boeser and less than a third of what DeBrincat actually received.
BUFF36 liked this.
Sep. 2, 2023 at 2:15 p.m.
I rarely respond because you said you are entitled to your POV.
On the other hand you completely missed MY POV:
"This is not to say Victor is better or even as good as Alex, just making the point that he is a very good sniper, and it is unlikely Buffalo would just give him away."
Purhaps you could go back and review my original post as you quoted it.
I have no idea what he will return, but considering how people value Boeser and the return that DeBrincat earned, a second and third is not out of the question.
That is less than half of how people value Boeser and less than a third of what DeBrincat actually received.

Might be the wrong team, but don't think it's far off Comp. Wise for Olofsson. Especially with the 2nd coming in 2026. But the kid has his flaws on the defensive side. Weird to because when he hurt his wrist a couple years ago he played a better overall game when he couldn't shoot.
Sep. 2, 2023 at 10:18 p.m.
Banned
Edited Sep. 2, 2023 at 11:39 p.m.

Or our (not “are”) Captain stays in the lineup & Rousek plays in Rochester
But that’s just if you’re interested in reality

Sabres didn’t bring back Okposo to sit him in the pressbox,
period
gretzkyghosts and BUFF36 liked this.
Sep. 2, 2023 at 10:21 p.m.
Banned

Clifton had better defensive metrics playing on the Bruins…..
well, duh. That’ll happen when you’re on a great defensive team

Come on now
Sep. 2, 2023 at 10:22 p.m.
Banned
PHEN

Good post
The hate has gone way too far on Olofsson,
it’s absurd
Sep. 3, 2023 at 4:46 a.m.
Quoting: AntiAnalytics
Or our (not “are”) Captain stays in the lineup & Rousek plays in Rochester
But that’s just if you’re interested in reality

Sabres didn’t bring back Okposo to sit him in the pressbox,
period

Sure Fitz, that's why Okposo even said at his locker clean out that this is there TEAM now. I know he won't be in the Press Box, this is what I would do and I would switch them up to keep him fresh.
Sep. 3, 2023 at 4:53 a.m.
Banned
Sure Fitz, that's why Okposo even said at his locker clean out that this is there TEAM now. I know he won't be in the Press Box, this is what I would do and I would switch them up to keep him fresh.

*their, not “there”

Just trying to help you out
This is literally stuff they teach in grade school
It’s NOT hard

I can understand that some didn’t want Okposo & Girgs back,
but they are
Boo freaking hoo, go cry about it on the buzz some more
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
BUFF36 liked this.
Sep. 3, 2023 at 4:54 a.m.
Clifton had better defensive metrics playing on the Bruins…..
well, duh. That’ll happen when you’re on a great defensive team

Come on now

No, that can't be true playing on a better team. Seem to have said we need to see if he can keep those Defensive Metrics while he plays more Minutes. Maybe he will Fitz and maybe he won't, but I guess we can't figure that out because he was on a Better defensive team and has No chance to do that with the Sabres. But Thanks for telling Me how that goes Fitz.
Sep. 3, 2023 at 4:56 a.m.
*their, not “there”

Just trying to help you out
This is literally stuff they teach in grade school
It’s NOT hard

I can understand that some didn’t want Okposo & Girgs back,
but they are
Boo freaking hoo, go cry about it on the buzz some more
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Thanks again Fitz, your knowledge completes Me.
Sep. 3, 2023 at 5:00 a.m.
Banned
Thanks again Fitz, your knowledge completes Me.

I’m not hiding that it’s me, I’ve made it VERY obvious
Is it giving you some kind of joy to call it out?
Ok, cool. Glad i could help

Its ok to go outside & make a friend though
As someone who’s retired, u have all the time in the world
Well, maybe not. Click is ticking…..
Sep. 3, 2023 at 5:02 a.m.
Banned
No, that can't be true playing on a better team. Seem to have said we need to see if he can keep those Defensive Metrics while he plays more Minutes. Maybe he will Fitz and maybe he won't, but I guess we can't figure that out because he was on a Better defensive team and has No chance to do that with the Sabres. But Thanks for telling Me how that goes Fitz.

U don’t have a clue “how it goes”
And that’s made obvious- over & over & over & over

No one knows how much icetime Clifton is gonna get
U can pretend to, but we don’t know
Sep. 3, 2023 at 5:05 a.m.
I’m not hiding that it’s me, I’ve made it VERY obvious
Is it giving you some kind of joy to call it out?
Ok, cool. Glad i could help

Its ok to go outside & make a friend though
As someone who’s retired, u have all the time in the world
Well, maybe not. Click is ticking…..

Click "Clock" it's not that Hard

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll