Forums/Armchair-GM

Hanifin Lafs it up in AZ

Created by: Marked_Difference
Team: 2023-24 Arizona Coyotes
Initial Creation Date: Oct. 2, 2023
Published: Oct. 2, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Saw another ACGM that had Laff to AZ for the three NYR picks. Since AZ needs the roster space as well, I removed the 3rd and added in O'B. He is a tough guy and NYR could use a bit more muscle.

Thought I would look at adding Laff into the AZ roster. Really tempted to put Gunther on the right but three rookies without a veteran is a recipe for disaster so I put Zucker over on the RW. With coaching and dev people that connect with the younger players Laff could become the lethal scorer that he was drafted to be. With Cooley as the set man and it could be a great pairing.

I am just recycling the Hanifin trade because I think that AZ is a top 4 LD away from having a really solid team that could challenge for the 3rd playoff slot in the Central or one of the WC.
Trades
NYR
  1. O'Brien, Liam
  2. 2025 2nd round pick (NYR)
  3. 2026 2nd round pick (NYR)
ARI
  1. Hanifin, Noah
Additional Details:
Hanifin extension in AZ 5y/6.75AAV = 33.75MM total
CGY
  1. Jeník, Jan
  2. Söderström, Victor
  3. 2024 2nd round pick (FLA)
  4. 2025 2nd round pick (ARI)
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the COL
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the ARI
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
24$83,500,000$81,520,477$0$4,350,000$1,979,523
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Arizona Coyotes
$7,150,000$7,150,000
LW, RW
UFA - 5
$1,775,000$1,775,000
C, LW
RFA - 1
$5,850,000$5,850,000
RW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
Logo of the New York Rangers
$2,325,000$2,325,000
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$3,500,000$4M)
C
RFA - 3
$5,300,000$5,300,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$3,425,000$3,425,000
LW
RFA - 3
$2,100,000$2,100,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$4,300,000$4,300,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, C, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$1,599,999$1,599,999
C, LW
RFA - 2
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW, LW
RFA - 2
$775,000$775,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$1,750,000$1,750,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
Logo of the Calgary Flames
$1,237,500$1,237,500
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$3,900,000$3,900,000
RD
UFA - 1
$2,725,000$2,725,000
G
UFA - 2
$886,667$886,667
LD/RD
RFA - 1
$1,100,000$1,100,000
RD
UFA - 1
$1,950,000$1,950,000
G
UFA - 3
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LD
RFA - 1
$1,700,000$1,700,000
LD/RD
RFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$1,275,000$1,275,000
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$8,250,000$8,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$7,857,143$7,857,143
RD
UFA - 3
$5,291,667$5,291,667
C, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Oct. 2, 2023 at 12:36 p.m.
Drury doesn't even respond to the offer and just hangs up the phone.
Oct. 2, 2023 at 1:03 p.m.
Soggy
Youll have to do a LOT better than that if you want Laf. Replace O'brien with Guenther and then youll be in the ballpark of what the Rangers might accept.
Oct. 2, 2023 at 1:32 p.m.
Quoting: GoofyFoFoofy
Youll have to do a LOT better than that if you want Laf. Replace O'brien with Guenther and then youll be in the ballpark of what the Rangers might accept.

Yakupov was traded at a similar age in a similar situation for a 3rd lets get realistic here
Oct. 2, 2023 at 1:42 p.m.
Soggy
Quoting: Schuyler
Yakupov was traded at a similar age in a similar situation for a 3rd lets get realistic here

If you wanna bring up comparables then take a look at Griffin Reinhart who went for a 1st + 2nd, Nils Lundkvist who went for a 1st + a 4th, Kirby Dach who went for a 1st + a 3rd, Alex Newhook who went for a 1st + a 2nd. All these players had worse stats at the time they were traded compared to Laf. On top of that the Rangers are not shopping Laf whereas all the players above were being shopped to some extent so that would bring up the value even higher.

Yakupov put up worse point totals than Laf on top of being terrible defensively and having attitude issues. He is the outlier to the trade cost of young players, not the baseline.
Oct. 2, 2023 at 1:52 p.m.
As a side note: There was an NYR fan ACGM post recently that had Laf getting traded for three picks. I don't really expect that NYR is looking to cut bait on a #1OA this quickly but I did want to see if he could be a fit in AZ. I am interested in feedback on the proposed lineup then on the realities of a trade actually happening.
Finski liked this.
Oct. 2, 2023 at 1:54 p.m.
If you wanna bring up comparables then take a look at Griffin Reinhart who went for a 1st + 2nd, Nils Lundkvist who went for a 1st + a 4th, Kirby Dach who went for a 1st + a 3rd, Alex Newhook who went for a 1st + a 2nd. All these players had worse stats at the time they were traded compared to Laf. On top of that the Rangers are not shopping Laf whereas all the players above were being shopped to some extent so that would bring up the value even higher.

Yakupov put up worse point totals than Laf on top of being terrible defensively and having attitude issues. He is the outlier to the trade cost of young players, not the baseline.

Reinhart was a rookie D so was Lundkvist and Dach/Newhook are centers who went for a lot less than two 2nds and Guenther Also Yakupovs rookie season was much better than anything laf did in any of his 3 seasons not to mention he had played on some of the worst teams of the last 10 years
Oct. 2, 2023 at 2:01 p.m.
Soggy
Reinhart was a rookie D so was Lundkvist and Dach/Newhook are centers who went for a lot less than two 2nds and Guenther Also Yakupovs rookie season was much better than anything laf did in any of his 3 seasons not to mention he had played on some of the worst teams of the last 10 years

You're forgetting that Reinhart was traded before his DY+4 year, Lundkvist was traded before his DY+5 year so they absolutely are still comparables. Laf is now approaching his DY+4 year and has done more than all the players I listed. If you wanna claim that Yakupov played on bad teams then you should also factor in how he averaged a lot more ice time than Laf. You're also completely discounting the point of him being an outlier as well as completely discounting my point that LAF IS NOT FOR SALE. That's how supply and demand works in the league, if you're asking for a player a team isnt selling you're going to have to overpay. This is where Laf is different from every player that I mentioned, they were for sale to some extent, he wasn't and probably won't be for a while. The Rangers have plans for him.
Oct. 2, 2023 at 2:07 p.m.
You're forgetting that Reinhart was traded before his DY+4 year, Lundkvist was traded before his DY+5 year so they absolutely are still comparables. Laf is now approaching his DY+4 year and has done more than all the players I listed. If you wanna claim that Yakupov played on bad teams then you should also factor in how he averaged a lot more ice time than Laf. You're also completely discounting the point of him being an outlier as well as completely discounting my point that LAF IS NOT FOR SALE. That's how supply and demand works in the league, if you're asking for a player a team isnt selling you're going to have to overpay. This is where Laf is different from every player that I mentioned, they were for sale to some extent, he wasn't and probably won't be for a while. The Rangers have plans for him.

D are far different than forwards and you know that. Going into your 4th season as a 3rd liner is probably it very few outliers like Thompson and the Sedins exist and FYI yak and laf had basically the same ice time they both just suck no one is going to want Laf for that kind of price accept it none of this supply and demand bs they became available because they were busting if you play over 200 NHL games and you still not that good as a winger its probably over
Oct. 2, 2023 at 2:25 p.m.
Soggy
D are far different than forwards and you know that. Going into your 4th season as a 3rd liner is probably it very few outliers like Thompson and the Sedins exist and FYI yak and laf had basically the same ice time they both just suck no one is going to want Laf for that kind of price accept it none of this supply and demand bs they became available because they were busting if you play over 200 NHL games and you still not that good as a winger its probably over

If a team doesn't want to pay that price for Laf then I honestly don't care and I doubt Drury does either. That's because as I said earlier, HE'S NOT FOR SALE. This isn't me trying to negotiate a price that I think Laf is worth, this is me saying that if you want Laf you're gonna have to overpay cause the Rangers have zero reason in trading him. Also the price for young D is not very different from forwards as the ones with similar upside are traded for similar value like (as i literally mentioned before idk why you keep discounting my points) Dach and Newhook.

If you really wanna narrow it down to players who were consistently 3rd liners in their first 3 years post-draft you get very few players in the 1st place to the point where you can't compare him to anyone because the sample size is so small. You can't just say "Yakupov is the only one who was in the exact same situation so he's gonna end up exactly like him." They're 2 completely different players. And it's good you bring up the Sedins too cause they turned out to have very good careers unlike Yakupov.

If you think Laf sucks Im not gonna argue with you, you can think what you want about him, but imo he's only 21 and although he has been dissapointing he has showed promise in a lot of areas and every players development is different. This isn't about what Laf is worth though, this is about the cost it will take to acquire him. I don't understand why you keep trying to narrow the specifications down from "no it was their rookie year" to "no its different cause they were defenseman" to "no its different cause he spent his first 3 years post-draft on the 3rd line" (which btw playing in the NHL to any extent is way more impressive than playing in the minors post-draft).

You keep harping on this narrative that Laf is exactly like Yakupov probably just because they were both 1OA picks and honestly that seems so dumb to me, like I said before every players development is different and you can't ignore the fact that players who have accomplished less than Laf by the time they were traded went for a lot more than Yakupov's return.
Oct. 2, 2023 at 2:34 p.m.
Quoting: Marked_Difference
As a side note: There was an NYR fan ACGM post recently that had Laf getting traded for three picks. I don't really expect that NYR is looking to cut bait on a #1OA this quickly but I did want to see if he could be a fit in AZ. I am interested in feedback on the proposed lineup then on the realities of a trade actually happening.

TBF that guy's a bozo. He had an ACGM this summer where he traded Laf and Chytil to Ottawa for Tarasenko.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll