SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2023-24 NHL Season Discussion Thread #1: Here we Go!

Nov. 8, 2023 at 12:43 p.m.
GM CRIME DAWG
Philadelphia Flyers Coach Torts today
Its-Always-Sunny-In-Philadelphia-Season-15.jpg
Nov. 8, 2023 at 1:04 p.m.
SHL NJD GM
Calen Addison traded to SJ for a 5th
Saskleaf and yikes liked this.
Nov. 8, 2023 at 1:06 p.m.
Saskoiler for now
Quoting: NHLfan10506
Bednar's response to Colton play...."You gotta defend yourself"

What a lunatic.

People can decide for themselves...but to me, its pretty clear what Bednar was sending Colton to do here

First time I saw the hit, yah that’s an awful hit which deserves at least 1 game
Nov. 8, 2023 at 1:12 p.m.
CELEBRINI IS A SHARK
Why did the Wild trade us Addy?
Nov. 8, 2023 at 1:16 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Quoting: yikes

Not sure but that was a savvy move by Grier
Nov. 8, 2023 at 1:20 p.m.
Quoting: Saskleaf
First time I saw the hit, yah that’s an awful hit which deserves at least 1 game

Mangiapane cross-check McCann in the back while in standing position = 1 game

Colton full speed cross check to Meier's head = nothing
Saskleaf liked this.
Nov. 8, 2023 at 1:22 p.m.
Hakuna Matata

Coach hates him and hes all offense no defense. Also got that kid coming up his name escapes me
Nov. 8, 2023 at 1:23 p.m.

Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05

After NJD vs MIN game recently, I posted this ACGM suggesting Wild need a power play QB.

It appeared to me, while Addison was out on PP, they were trying to avoid passing him the puck.
Nov. 8, 2023 at 1:23 p.m.
Quoting: aadoyle
Coach hates him and hes all offense no defense. Also got that kid coming up his name escapes me

Carson Lambos
yikes liked this.
Nov. 8, 2023 at 1:24 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Carson Lambos

Yea I think it was him or was it Ryan O'Rourke

Both are regarded high rn
Nov. 8, 2023 at 1:26 p.m.
CELEBRINI IS A SHARK
Carson Lambos

Great player

After NJD vs MIN game recently, I posted this ACGM suggesting Wild need a power play QB.

It appeared to me, while Addison was out on PP, they were trying to avoid passing him the puck.

Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05

Makes all the sense for SJS

Wild have a ton of D so I’m not scratching my head, but Addison; if he handles this trade right (not always fun going from a contender for a bottom feeder), easily could earn 2-4m x 3 years and eat 35+ points on SJS. We have no RD ahead of him, and he’s the only RD PP1/PP2 option for San Jose that isn’t just a forward.

Guerin also could have been doing his player justice by putting him in a situation that would let him log minutes.
Nov. 8, 2023 at 1:28 p.m.
Edited Nov. 8, 2023 at 1:36 p.m.
Yea I think it was him or was it Ryan O'Rourke

Both are regarded high rn

I think O'Rourke is more of a defensive dman. Hunt as well.
Jack Peart is great with puck too.
Spacek is wild card, no pun intended, but I know some advanced data people love him.

They got options.
Nov. 8, 2023 at 1:54 p.m.
Mangiapane cross-check McCann in the back while in standing position = 1 game

Colton full speed cross check to Meier's head = nothing

Quoting: Saskleaf

There are 2 separate things to review.

1) Hit on Luke Hughes which happened at full speed; going into a corner anticipating a puck battle. Even the announcer says: "it looked like Colton tried to get to the side of Hughes". Yes, Hughes does not have the puck and is going into the boards (so is Colton). Yes this is probably a boarding call. But, he didn't board a defenseless player with his back turned. Why would he expect Hughes to turn AWAY from the puck when they are both going for it at the same time? Colton anticipated that Hughes was going to probably reverse hit (common nowadays in that situation). Hughes was "defenseless" at the very last micro second which makes the play look worse than it could have/should have been. Bednar says the same thing that the announcer did; and had NO problem with the penalty called.

This same play happens dozens of times every NHL game and you rarely see a defensemen "bail out" like that; and Luke Hughes better learn not to let up like that or next time it might be much worse.

2) high stick on Timo Meier. This was Colton and Meier gliding together after the whistle (which you can see at 0:14 Colton is almost stopped); which is mostly not on any camera angle until the tail end of it. Colton sees Meier coming and there is already a ref in between them which means there must have been chirping going on between one or both of them. At the 1:38 mark of the video you can see Meier has his hands/stick raised halfway as does Colton when they come together. Colton does initiate the contact to Meier's face which is why he got the cross-check penalty and the fine by DOPS. This was not "at full speed" and Meier was not "defenseless" nor did he have his back turned.

Nowhere in any of this can you make claims that "Bednar sent him out to do something"; this was a hockey play that turned badly (the hit on Hughes) and an expected response from Meier (understandable) to Colton who then overreacts (not acceptable).

Stop with that BS comparing this to Mangiapane (which was more like Jamie Benn on Mark Stone) and stop making things up that didn't happen: "full speed cross check"
Eissportclub liked this.
Nov. 8, 2023 at 3:09 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Looks like Andreas Johnsson on his way to Europe
Nov. 8, 2023 at 3:13 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
People ask why Addision was moved well he was not trusted by his coaches, Evason really seemed to hate him for being mostly one dimensional, and he had an incident with Spurgeon but I think that ones overblown

Its for the best for both sides

Spurgeon and Faber can QB 1 and 2 and Addision can go have fun in SJS QB unit 1 and just chill

But yea there were some saying DeAngelo. Man if Wild do that they really stupid lul. As it makes 0 sense on all fronts you had a guy making half whose the same, had a coach who hates that type of player, and adding a guy with attitude issues who costs double what Addison did lul

Got a feeling if CAR is moving a player its Chatfield
Nov. 8, 2023 at 3:34 p.m.
People ask why Addision was moved well he was not trusted by his coaches, Evason really seemed to hate him for being mostly one dimensional, and he had an incident with Spurgeon but I think that ones overblown

Spurgeon and Faber can QB 1 and 2 and Addision can go have fun in SJS QB unit 1 and just chill

But yea there were some saying DeAngelo. Man if Wild do that they really stupid lul. As it makes 0 sense on all fronts you had a guy making half whose the same, had a coach who hates that type of player, and adding a guy with attitude issues who costs double what Addison did lul

Seems like there are 1-2 guys like this every year.

Ty Smith NJ to PIT
Nick Merkley SJ to COL
Will Butcher
Jack Rathbone VAN to PIT

or the guys like this that are just good enough defensively to keep their job but when they get moved into a new system they fall apart:
Tyson Barrie
John Klingberg
Shayne Gostisbehere
Kevin Shattenkirk
Eric Gustafsson
Adam Boqvist (?)

Interesting how many of them are tied to/end up in Pittsburgh. lol

-If the Canes are dealing Chatfield; I would really hope the Avs are talking to them. I like that kid and think he would be a great 3rd pair guy for us. Not sure we have what the Canes would want (depends on price).
Nov. 8, 2023 at 3:57 p.m.

Addison wasnt trusted at all at 5v5 - he had the lowest EV TOI/GP among MIN defensemen last season and 2nd lowest this season (behind Daemon Hunt's first 4 career games). But just because they didnt trust him doesnt necessarily mean they wont trust any offensive D man - they just traded for Klingberg last season and played him 20 mins per game

DeAngelo could fill a similar role to Klingberg and, although he isnt good defensively overall, he is still better defensively than Klingberg and would be the best PPQB they have by far*. Maybe they dont like his off ice baggage but I dont see how its a stupid idea aside from that

Fabers game isnt really suited to a PP role, hes more of a defensive guy. Plus he has basically no PP experience at the NHL level
Spurgeon is kinda underwhelming as a PP1 QB, hes better suited for PP2. Career 3.72 PPP/60 is pretty poor for a #1 PP option
DeAngelo has a career 5.41 PPP/60 which put him in the company of Hedman, Dahlin, Josi, Barrie, and other top PP D men
and for comparison sake Addison has a career 4.38 PPP/60
Nov. 8, 2023 at 3:59 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: UpsideDownQue
Addison wasnt trusted at all at 5v5 - he had the lowest EV TOI/GP among MIN defensemen last season and 2nd lowest this season (behind Daemon Hunt's first 4 career games). But just because they didnt trust him doesnt necessarily mean they wont trust any offensive D man - they just traded for Klingberg last season and played him 20 mins per game

DeAngelo could fill a similar role to Klingberg and, although he isnt good defensively overall, he is still better defensively than Klingberg and would be the best PPQB they have by far*. Maybe they dont like his off ice baggage but I dont see how its a stupid idea aside from that

Fabers game isnt really suited to a PP role, hes more of a defensive guy. Plus he has basically no PP experience at the NHL level
Spurgeon is kinda underwhelming as a PP1 QB, hes better suited for PP2. Career 3.72 PPP/60 is pretty poor for a #1 PP option
DeAngelo has a career 5.41 PPP/60 which put him in the company of Hedman, Dahlin, Josi, Barrie, and other top PP D men

In general if they didnt trust Addison at 825k why should they go add a more expensive guy whose exactly the same but with attitude issues

Evidence is faulty

They got their guys and have made their choice
Nov. 8, 2023 at 4:05 p.m.
In general if they didnt trust Addison at 825k why should they go add a more expensive guy whose exactly the same but with attitude issues

Evidence is faulty

They got their guys and have made their choice

How are they exactly the same? One isnt trusted at 5v5 and one is, while also being better on the PP
Nov. 8, 2023 at 4:18 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Nov. 8, 2023 at 4:34 p.m.
How are they exactly the same? One isnt trusted at 5v5 and one is, while also being better on the PP

DeAngelo and Addision both offensive minded D playing third pair 16min a night and QB PP

Thats really all there is to it

DeAngelo is on the other hand making double and has attitude issues

Makes 0 sense for them to add him as they have shown they dont need or want that type of player

Spurgeon and Faber will be the PP guys
Nov. 8, 2023 at 4:42 p.m.
GM CRIME DAWG
Addison Out,
Bogo In...
Nov. 8, 2023 at 4:42 p.m.
DeAngelo and Addision both offensive minded D playing third pair 16min a night and QB PP

Thats really all there is to it

DeAngelo is on the other hand making double and has attitude issues

Makes 0 sense for them to add him as they have shown they dont need that type of player

Spurgeon and Faber will be the PP guys

Same role doesnt mean same player. Sean Durzi is playing 1st pair 23 mins a night and PP1 QB, that doesnt make him the same player as Cale Makar
Nov. 8, 2023 at 5:05 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Same role doesnt mean same player. Sean Durzi is playing 1st pair 23 mins a night and PP1 QB, that doesnt make him the same player as Cale Makar

Either way both are third pair offensive guys one was making less.

And dont be silly comparing Durzi to Makar as an example those 2 have nothing in common besides QB a PP

Addison and DeAngelo are more or less the same thing third pair offensive minded Dman who can QB a PP. Except one has attitude issues and costs alot more

Wild moving Addison to add DeAngelo would be dumb move of the year. As your basically spending more for the same thing

It would be like if Toronto turned Klingberg into Barrie
Nov. 8, 2023 at 5:14 p.m.
Either way both are third pair offensive guys one was making less.

And dont be silly comparing Durzi to Makar those 2 have nothing in common

Addison and DeAngelo are more or less the same thing third pair offensive minded Dman who can QB a PP. Except one has attitude issues and costs alot more

If you read that and think I am comparing Durzi's abilities to Makar then idk what to tell you
A_Habs_fan and Eissportclub liked this.
Nov. 8, 2023 at 5:19 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Nov. 8, 2023 at 5:32 p.m.
If you read that and think I am comparing Durzi's abilities to Makar then idk what to tell you

In general as I keep telling yah turning Addison into DeAngelo makes 0 sense for the wild

They dont need a more expensive version of what they already had as it will end the same way.

If Everson could not trust Addison he sure as hell wont trust DeAngelo who is more or less the same thing just with attitude issues.

Basically the same thing different player. Like if Toronto turned Klingberg into Barrie.

If the wild somehow be stupid enough to do it even the hockey gods cant help them but after what teams saw with DeAngelo outside Carolina I dont see many lining up for him. Spurgeon and Faber arent perfect but they have shown they can do it.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll