SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Leafs 2023 2024 Season Discussion Part 2

Nov. 8, 2023 at 9:54 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Random2152
The good news is that I don't think we need a Dman.
We got defensively worse UP FRONT this off season. We need to stop blaming the D core (Klinger can die)

mmm despite the defense up front getting weaker still need a competent Dcore

Klingberg is a mess, Gio is doing to much, guys like Lagesson and Benoit should not be out there rn. Brodie and Rielly are either great or getting beat for pucks. Dcore is just to fragile to work

Granted McCabe, Liligren, and Timmins are out but still last year Rielly, Brodie and Muzzin were out and things looked much better.

4th line is also a problem. There is no chemistry or anything between the 3 of them. Gregor and Reaves need to go

And pls dont say goaltending gonna start becoming a problem

Like to me getting 2 guys to mesh well with Kampf who can help create a defensive 4th line that can move the puck and be a threat is a must along with adding 2 Dman.
Nov. 8, 2023 at 9:57 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: aadoyle
mmm despite the defense up front getting weaker still need a competent Dcore

Klingberg is a mess, Gio is doing to much, guys like Lagesson and Benoit should not be out there rn. Dcore is just to fragile to work

4th line is also a problem. There is no chemistry or anything between the 3 of them. Gregor and Reaves need to go

Our D core is competent. We were a top defensive team last year. Some sacrifice for offence was warranted, but our depth is a liability right now.

Once injuries heal the back end will be fine enough that we should spend assets elsewhere. If you do get a Dman, make sure he is a secondary addition.
If our major shake up is a D I will officially be off the Trev train. I didnt like the hiring but I gave him a shot. So far he is as bad as I feared
Nov. 8, 2023 at 10:00 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Nov. 8, 2023 at 10:08 p.m.
Our D core is competent. We were a top defensive team last year. Some sacrifice for offence was warranted, but our depth is a liability right now.

Once injuries heal the back end will be fine enough that we should spend assets elsewhere. If you do get a Dman, make sure he is a secondary addition.
If our major shake up is a D I will officially be off the Trev train. I didnt like the hiring but I gave him a shot. So far he is as bad as I feared

Idk they were top defensive last year but now things just look ugly on all fronts

Now I get there are injuries but still last year they did better even when Muzzin, Rielly, and Brodie were out

I honestly just feel bad for Gio as you can see how much that guy is trying but hes 40 what more can he do. Hes not a top 4 guy anymore and im afraid hes gonna work himself to death so to speak.

As for Klingberg oh boy that guy better be on waivers tomorrow idc. Literally 5mins of Lajoie was better than the mess hes been this season.

Call up Steeves to for the 4th line and sit Reaves out if you dont mind to lul

Goalies yea im not going there yet but give us some consistency pls

At least the good news is 3rd line looks interesting and Bertuzzi finally looked like he woke up
Nov. 8, 2023 at 10:11 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Honestly Leafs should have just retired the #3 jersey as it seems to curse every Dman who wears it
Nov. 8, 2023 at 10:15 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
F-LfQYKW4AAWJkK.jpg

Don’t forget, this is the 1st time since 2019 TOR is projected to be under 100 points.

How are all of Treliving fans feeling?
RipNasty liked this.
Nov. 8, 2023 at 10:19 p.m.
Saskoiler for now
Quoting: MatthewsFan
F-LfQYKW4AAWJkK.jpg

Don’t forget, this is the 1st time since 2019 TOR is projected to be under 100 points.

How are all of Treliving fans feeling?

To be fair, it’s still early but yah, I think I’m ready to admit you were right about Trelivings additions this off-season. Bert and Domi have not been putting up the numbers I thought they would and everyone says Klingberg is terrible defensively (haven’t seen enough games to know personally but it doesn’t surprise me).
Nov. 8, 2023 at 10:23 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Saskleaf
To be fair, it’s still early but yah, I think I’m ready to admit you were right about Trelivings additions this off-season. Bert and Domi have not been putting up the numbers I thought they would and everyone says Klingberg is terrible defensively (haven’t seen enough games to know personally but it doesn’t surprise me).

Bertuzzi actually had himself a game tonight along with Domi for the most part. Minus the defense both helped create offense with Bertuzzi getting goal 2 and Domi feeding Robertson for that sweet goal

What is needed 2 guys to play with Kampf who are defensively sound and can move the puck and one/two Dman that can get Klingberg off this team

Gregor and Reaves just not it. Idk what Keefe did to Reaves or if Reaves is hurt what happened to the guy games 1,2,3 who did everything people wanted

Big hit, fight, etc. Now its crickets.

Do the MacDermid treatment for him is what I say. Gregor yea idk hes got 0 chemistry with Kampf and I have seen nothing that makes me go what makes u different from McMann, Steeves, etc.

Klingberg yea get him off my team. He is by far the worst Dman seen on this team in forever. Would rather have anyone and I mean anyone else.

But yea the thing were gonna miss in this game they were looking mostly good till the Gio accidental tip in his own net than the wheels fell off
Saskleaf liked this.
Nov. 8, 2023 at 10:26 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Quoting: Saskleaf

You usually know what kind of team you have by American Thanksgiving (November 23rd).

I had strong feelings before the season started this team was going to be bad and I don’t see that changing anytime soon.

Trade Klingberg (if you can) without giving up any assets and just let the season play out
Saskleaf liked this.
Nov. 8, 2023 at 10:28 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
You usually know what kind of team you have by American Thanksgiving (November 23rd).

I had strong feelings before the season started this team was going to be bad and I don’t see that changing anytime soon.

Trade Klingberg (if you can) without giving up any assets and just let the season play out

That would be the dumbest thing for this team to do

Should write a book how to lose Nylander 101

If this team does nothing thats an embarrassment considering whose on the team and you think Willy gonna want to stay hell nah he will be with the VGK July 1 of 2024

Moving Klingberg and fixing the Dcore and 4th line is a must. Spend the assets get er done. This aint CGY and Brad knows that. Pressure is on to fix
Nov. 8, 2023 at 10:37 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Quoting: aadoyle
That would be the dumbest thing for this team to do

Should write a book how to lose Nylander 101

If this team does nothing thats an embarrassment considering whose on the team and you think Willy gonna want to stay hell nah he will be with the VGK July 1 of 2024

Moving Klingberg and fixing the Dcore and 4th line is a must. Spend the assets get er done. This aint CGY and Brad knows that. Pressure is on to fix

The dumbest thing could do is hire the man that built CGY.
Random2152 liked this.
Nov. 8, 2023 at 10:45 p.m.
Hakuna Matata

CGY looked good than Gaudreau and Tkachuck left thats really it

Dumb thing here is asking Toronto to just get rid of Klingberg and do nothing else lul

Thats the fastest way to see Nylander go Sayonara

Give us the Dcore we need and 2 middle 6 guys to play with Kampf.
Saskleaf liked this.
Nov. 8, 2023 at 10:46 p.m.
Amirov Forever

Idk, Calgary was built like an absolute tank. I still really like the look of that roster on paper. Their blueline is to die for.
aadoyle and Saskleaf liked this.
Nov. 8, 2023 at 10:50 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
Idk, Calgary was built like an absolute tank. I still really like the look of that roster on paper. Their blueline is to die for.

Like I wouild die for a CGY Dcore

Look at them

Weegar-Andersson
Hanafin-Tanev
Zadorov-who cares whose there

Look at the middle 6 guys they got

Backlund, Mangiapane, Dube, gimmie 2 of those pls lul

Like Brads comments about our current Dcore hint hes up to something

As we know he tried to add Gudas and Dumba (thank **** no) but it fell through and we know hes trying to add Zadorov and Tanev. He has an idea just need to see
Nov. 8, 2023 at 10:54 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Flames GM Treliving won't return next season after 2nd missed playoffs in 3 seasons

Calgary made the playoffs five times during Treliving's nine year run.
Nov. 8, 2023 at 10:56 p.m.
The good news is that I don't think we need a Dman.
We got defensively worse UP FRONT this off season. We need to stop blaming the D core (Klinger can die)

They got worse defensively everywhere this offseason. Need additions up front and on the backend.
aadoyle liked this.
Nov. 8, 2023 at 10:57 p.m.
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05

If only the games were played on paper.
Nov. 8, 2023 at 11:23 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason
They got worse defensively everywhere this offseason. Need additions up front and on the backend.

Not really. Same d core as last year mostly. As I said klinger can die and replace with Timmins or a secondary add (or Timmins, then an add).

The changes happened up front d wise. Engvall, kerfoot, etc were all great defensively. Terrible offensively sure and that is an issue, but the d core specifically is not the problem here and if we pretend it is and we 'solve' the wrong problem, the team will still struggle.

THE problem (not just a problem) is the forwards
NorthernLeafsFan05 liked this.
Nov. 8, 2023 at 11:44 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason

To me a new 4th line and 2 new Dman are needed

2 guys to play with Kampf and 2 Dman are needed rn

As to who idk rn team seems to change whats priority by the game lul
Nov. 9, 2023 at 1:49 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Not really. Same d core as last year mostly. As I said klinger can die and replace with Timmins or a secondary add (or Timmins, then an add).

The changes happened up front d wise. Engvall, kerfoot, etc were all great defensively. Terrible offensively sure and that is an issue, but the d core specifically is not the problem here and if we pretend it is and we 'solve' the wrong problem, the team will still struggle.

THE problem (not just a problem) is the forwards

To me finding 2 guys to play with Kampf so its not just 9mins a night **** and finding someone to be with McCabe or rest Gio is perfect

2 Dman and 2 Bottom 6 wings that fit the role Kampf needs

Have some targets in mind but am waiting as who knows maybe Steeves and McMann come up and do some work
Nov. 9, 2023 at 8:24 a.m.
Klingberg is comically awful defensively
aadoyle liked this.
Nov. 9, 2023 at 9:25 a.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Maple Leafs tie franchise record by allowing 4+ goals in 7 consecutive home games to begin a season, equalling the mark set in 1976-77

Remember the good old days when we used to set records for wins and points in a season.

The Leafs have 3 regulation wins in 13 GP. Just four teams have less.

Kevin Papetti
Toronto was outplayed in 2 of their 3 regulation wins (DAL & WSH).

They rank:
27th by xGF%
25th by xGF%

This is despite:
-Matthews having 13 G and 19 P in 13 GP.
-Nylander and Rielly playing extremely well.

But remember, two D’s and two 4th liners will fix this.
Nov. 9, 2023 at 9:59 a.m.
Maple Leafs tie franchise record by allowing 4+ goals in 7 consecutive home games to begin a season, equalling the mark set in 1976-77

Remember the good old days when we used to set records for wins and points in a season.

The Leafs have 3 regulation wins in 13 GP. Just four teams have less.

Kevin Papetti
Toronto was outplayed in 2 of their 3 regulation wins (DAL & WSH).

They rank:
27th by xGF%
25th by xGF%

This is despite:
-Matthews having 13 G and 19 P in 13 GP.
-Nylander and Rielly playing extremely well.

But remember, two D’s and two 4th liners will fix this.

I think you underestimate what the impact of getting two defensive D plus getting two regular lineup D back from injury in McCabe and Lily back plus getting rid of Klingberg who has been god awful would be

Klingberg might be the worst defender I have ever watched at the NHL level
aadoyle liked this.
Nov. 9, 2023 at 10:35 a.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Quoting: leafs101
I think you underestimate what the impact of getting two defensive D plus getting two regular lineup D back from injury in McCabe and Lily back plus getting rid of Klingberg who has been god awful would be

I think you underestimate how bad this roster really is.

When TOR was without Muzzin, Reilly, Brodie they went with a combination of:

Bunting-Matthews-Nylander
Jarnkrok-Tavares-Marner
Kerfoot-Holmberg-Engvall
AstonReese-Kampf-Robertson

Giordano-Holl
Sandin-Liljegren
Mete-Timmins
Hollowell

15 game streak without a regulation loss. 12 wins & 3 OT losses from Nov 12 to Dec 13.

I look forward to seeing how much Treliving is willing to mortgage for this current roster/coaching staff.

popcorn-watching-tv.gif
Nov. 9, 2023 at 11:53 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Nov. 9, 2023 at 12:51 p.m.

Agreed

In general imagine the impact on defense if Toronto went out and got 2 legit top 4 Dman

One to clear the front of the net and give Gio a rest

The other to play with McCabe (when back) and whose a strong penalty killer

Like imagine going from

Rielly-Brodie
McCabe-Liligren
Gio-Klingberg

to

Rielly-Brodie
McCabe-Tanev
Zadorov-Liligren

There is a significant jump right there

Than after you move on to finding 2 players that can play with Kampf and thrive. Create a 4th line that has puck moving, defense, and some speed and grit who can PK
Nov. 9, 2023 at 11:57 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Klingberg is comically awful defensively

When hes not being sheltered with Gio on the third pair man the flaws come out full force dont they

Like when McCabe and Liligren were on the 2nd pair and he wasnt he had moments. Dallas for instance was his best game.

But since those 2 have been out its been bad, bad and more bad.

They either need to get someone to push him down to the third pair till they get 100% healthy or find a way to turn him into an upgrade like EDM did with Barrie

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll