SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Leafs 2023 2024 Season Discussion Part 2

Nov. 13, 2023 at 3:53 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
Not arguing that, my point was that he wouldn't be going to Calgary per say. Probably gets moved in a different deal

Idk cause if they move 3.75m out they gonna have to take something back

Van dont got the cap, Toronto dont got the cap, even NJ dont

I think they may try to bring a third team so they can ret than move Kling to that team (CGY does the ret) but honestly would not surprise me if its a move involving Zadorov + Dube coming back and Klingberg going the other way to make the cap work
Nov. 13, 2023 at 3:57 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Quoting: aadoyle
Idk cause if they move 3.75m out they gonna have to take something back

Van dont got the cap, Toronto dont got the cap, even NJ dont

I think they may try to bring a third team so they can ret than move Kling to that team (CGY does the ret) but honestly would not surprise me if its a move involving Zadorov + Dube coming back and Klingberg going the other way to make the cap work

You're still missing my point. Klingberg gets traded to a team that isn't Calgary prior to any Zadorov deal. Ship Klingberg out to a team like Chicago for a minor piece in return, then add Zadorov.

If we're talking potential additional pieces, I think Walker Duehr is a good bet
Nov. 13, 2023 at 4:07 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Nov. 13, 2023 at 5:54 p.m.
You're still missing my point. Klingberg gets traded to a team that isn't Calgary prior to any Zadorov deal. Ship Klingberg out to a team like Chicago for a minor piece in return, then add Zadorov.

If we're talking potential additional pieces, I think Walker Duehr is a good bet

That would not be a smart use of assets. The smart thing is to pkg him off to bring in an upgrade in the same trade. Look what EDM did with Barrie

Turned him into Ekholm

https://www.capfriendly.com/forums/thread/687136

Another example

Pittsburgh packaged a struggling chucky and some assets to get Zucker.

https://www.capfriendly.com/trades/players/jason-zucker

Spending assets to dump a guy than spending more to add another is poor asset management and were pretty thin on them rn (no 2nd till 2027)

And if we dump him to a team with space probs will cost us a 2nd and descent prospect NTU. As then were gonna end up than spending more to bring in Zadorov.

Even if it aint CGY make a deal with a team as there will be other teams looking to move Dman and know they will need to take on cap

Chicago can make a deal where Murphy comes back
SEA depending on where they are see if they can pkg him off for Larsson

Apply the same for Nashville, St. Louis, Washington, etc.

As hes only signed for the season and his bonus is paid. Someone will take the salary in a deal that brings us an upgrade. As to who we still dont know who and who isnt available yet. But with how things are in CGY would not surprise me if Klingberg ends up there to help the tank and just have a body out there.
Nov. 13, 2023 at 11:50 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Nov. 14, 2023 at 12:26 a.m.
Honestly keep an eye on the NYI

I predict Lambert goes and they hire a new HC. If that dont work we about to see an atomic bomb go off

And they have some nice Dman
Nov. 14, 2023 at 10:05 a.m.

If/when/where Klingberg gets traded could largely depend on his 10-team no trade list. I tried reading into it a bit, and a "10 team no-trade clause" in the contract "usually" needs to be submitted before the season starts however is sometimes worded so that the player submits his list "upon request".

That alone could make a big impact since, if John would rather try and play out the year in Toronto vs getting bounced around...he could easily submit a list that includes Calgary (or any other team) that he's rumoured to be going to.

That would not be a smart use of assets. The smart thing is to pkg him off to bring in an upgrade in the same trade. Look what EDM did with Barrie

I think the timing of a deal has an impact. If you're Calgary and signs are pointing to a potential sell off...you're less willing to take cap back on a trade now without extra sweeteners since cap space can be weaponized at the deadline (that's going to go for any team looking at taking in klingberg). If the deal is done at the deadline...it makes less of an impact because they'll have a clearer picture of if they need that space to facilitate other deals they like better.
aadoyle liked this.
Nov. 14, 2023 at 10:12 a.m.
Apparently per EF on 32 thoughts

Someone from the Maple Leafs (didnt say who) went to Zadorov after TOR vs. CGY and said your exactly what we need

Wonder who it was

Im going with Bertuzzi lul

Honestly im on the fence on this one. I think priority should be 2nd pair RD as the big issue is you bring him in Gio comes out which is fine for playoffs but I just cant see that man come out rn.

I dunno...typically when players meet up after the game it's former teammates...tried having a look. Him and Timmins were teammates in Colorado but that doesn't make sense. Only other 2 were David Kampf when they were both in Chicago and the 2012 London Knights team with Domi
aadoyle liked this.
Nov. 14, 2023 at 1:29 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Juice
I dunno...typically when players meet up after the game it's former teammates...tried having a look. Him and Timmins were teammates in Colorado but that doesn't make sense. Only other 2 were David Kampf when they were both in Chicago and the 2012 London Knights team with Domi

Was thinking the same

But who knows it could have been anyone.

While im not 100% sure he may may be the solution to one of the problems he is a guy available to explore

And it seems they do want him but not alone as it seems Brad has a bigger deal in mine

But its a wait and see rn.
Nov. 14, 2023 at 1:32 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
If/when/where Klingberg gets traded could largely depend on his 10-team no trade list. I tried reading into it a bit, and a "10 team no-trade clause" in the contract "usually" needs to be submitted before the season starts however is sometimes worded so that the player submits his list "upon request".

That alone could make a big impact since, if John would rather try and play out the year in Toronto vs getting bounced around...he could easily submit a list that includes Calgary (or any other team) that he's rumoured to be going to.

I think the timing of a deal has an impact. If you're Calgary and signs are pointing to a potential sell off...you're less willing to take cap back on a trade now without extra sweeteners since cap space can be weaponized at the deadline (that's going to go for any team looking at taking in klingberg). If the deal is done at the deadline...it makes less of an impact because they'll have a clearer picture of if they need that space to facilitate other deals they like better.

I think personally Brad's waiting till near the TDL.

As every time that guys name comes up its (He wants Zadorov and Tanev) not one or the other both.

And there is a way to do it but it has to be by close or TDL with retention on both

Maybe someone decides pull the trigger early (end of nov) but I doubt that

Usually the Leafs would make their trade Jan/Feb

Now this was Dubas and not Brad but maybe member of Leafs org may suggest he do that to avoid the TDL rush

Who knows. But what we do know there will be a new Dman on this blue line but as to who well thats where the fun will be speculating lul
Nov. 14, 2023 at 1:39 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs

Domi would make sense IMO... But it could also be Sammy as they are both Russian and Sammy wants to be able to speak Russian more
Nov. 14, 2023 at 2:19 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming

Why do all* of our players have NTCs?
(*most)

Kampf, Klinger, Domi, Bertuzzi, Jarnkrok probably shouldnt have one at all, or at least severly reduced terms for some of them
Nov. 14, 2023 at 2:26 p.m.
Quoting: Random2152
(*most)

Kampf, Klinger, Domi, Bertuzzi, Jarnkrok probably shouldnt have one at all, or at least severly reduced terms for some of them

That was pissing me off when I was looking at the leafs page
Nov. 14, 2023 at 3:15 p.m.
(*most)

Ya. No doubt. I can understand it on the 1yr deals. From a personal side, if you give up the security of a long term deal for a ‘show me’ deal you want to have some control over not getting jettisoned to a bottom feeder. No reason kampf and jarnkrok earned them
Random2152 liked this.
Nov. 14, 2023 at 3:17 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
(*most)

To prevent them from going to non contenders

Dont really blame em

Nobody want to go to ARI or SJS if they can help it and if they didnt have trade protection thats where they would probs end up before or at TDL.
Nov. 14, 2023 at 3:19 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Whats with this sudden obsession with Borgen

Like am I missing something with him

Kid just feels like Liligren only he hits some more

As to me why spend assets on something you already have.
Nov. 14, 2023 at 3:23 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Ya. No doubt. I can understand it on the 1yr deals. From a personal side, if you give up the security of a long term deal for a ‘show me’ deal you want to have some control over not getting jettisoned to a bottom feeder. No reason kampf and jarnkrok earned them

Well in a sense players want stability even Kampf and Jarnkrok

Nobody wants to get traded around especially to a non-contender.

Jarnkrok went from NSH-SEA-CGY in 1 season and now hes settled into Toronto where hes honestly been consistent

Kampf just more so for stability. And as long as you got a playable 4th line no issue there. As Keefe finally realized what 3 other teams did that a certain someone dont got to be in every NHL game lul.

As we saw what happens when you give him 2 useable linemates vs. one. Now its one game but if those 3 play like they did vs. Van were in for some more fun
Nov. 14, 2023 at 3:47 p.m.
Well in a sense players want stability even Kampf and Jarnkrok

Nobody wants to get traded around especially to a non-contender.

Jarnkrok went from NSH-SEA-CGY in 1 season and now hes settled into Toronto where hes honestly been consistent

Kampf just more so for stability. And as long as you got a playable 4th line no issue there. As Keefe finally realized what 3 other teams did that a certain someone dont got to be in every NHL game lul.

As we saw what happens when you give him 2 useable linemates vs. one. Now its one game but if those 3 play like they did vs. Van were in for some more fun

For sure. Every player wants one…I just meant that, given the term and dollars they got, you’d think the leafs coulda got away with not giving them the NTC
aadoyle liked this.
Nov. 14, 2023 at 3:51 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
For sure. Every player wants one…I just meant that, given the term and dollars they got, you’d think the leafs coulda got away with not giving them the NTC

Well Kampf's final year dont got one and surprisingly that contract despite the weird cap hit could be moveable at the half way mark as once his bonuses are paid hes only owed 1m

Got to love the bonus structure of our deals as it basically makes it to where teams wanting to save actual $$$$$ will come calling

I do think if they really had to they could package him off in some deal like we saw Van did years ago (even though that trade kind of sucked)
Juice liked this.
Nov. 14, 2023 at 4:04 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
I know Brad wants to try and swing a deal for 2 specific CGY Dman but honestly if its to pricey why not try and get one of them than try and get Dube to

Dube feels like another Jarnkrok. Versatile guy who can play everywhere.

RFA to at the end to (added bonus)

Than if they still need another Dman (even if Timmy and Lily come back) try and sign Bear
Nov. 14, 2023 at 5:33 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Nov. 14, 2023 at 5:38 p.m.
https://dailyhive.com/toronto/babcock-leafs-gm-dubas

There is no way this is true

As remember Babcocks comments when he got fired

"When Lou left I knew my time would soon be up"

Why push for a guy who was gonna eventually take your job

Something be fishy but hey hes gone now so meh
Nov. 14, 2023 at 6:33 p.m.
I know Brad wants to try and swing a deal for 2 specific CGY Dman but honestly if its to pricey why not try and get one of them than try and get Dube to

Dube feels like another Jarnkrok. Versatile guy who can play everywhere.

RFA to at the end to (added bonus)

Than if they still need another Dman (even if Timmy and Lily come back) try and sign Bear

Where are you reading Treliving is going for 2 Calgary d-men? I mean...it's not surprising given the circumstances....just interested to see if there's 1of 2 specific guys he likes or if it's 2 (in quantity) he's looking to bring in.
aadoyle liked this.
Nov. 14, 2023 at 6:38 p.m.
https://dailyhive.com/toronto/babcock-leafs-gm-dubas

There is no way this is true

As remember Babcocks comments when he got fired

"When Lou left I knew my time would soon be up"

Why push for a guy who was gonna eventually take your job

Something be fishy but hey hes gone now so meh

I think the basic facts may be true but EF is presenting the story in a way that makes it seem like the leafs were gonna let Dubas walk until Babcock put his 2 cents in. That doesn't make sense.

Dubas was Shanny's guy....logic would say it was him leading the narrative to promote Dubas and Babcock was just part of the conversation and agreed that they'd need to promote him to avoid losing him...either way it's kind of a non-story at this point
aadoyle liked this.
Nov. 14, 2023 at 6:57 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
I think the basic facts may be true but EF is presenting the story in a way that makes it seem like the leafs were gonna let Dubas walk until Babcock put his 2 cents in. That doesn't make sense.

Dubas was Shanny's guy....logic would say it was him leading the narrative to promote Dubas and Babcock was just part of the conversation and agreed that they'd need to promote him to avoid losing him...either way it's kind of a non-story at this point

Thats what im thinking

It just seems weird it comes out now and not like idk a year after he was fired lul
Nov. 14, 2023 at 6:58 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Nov. 14, 2023 at 7:18 p.m.
Where are you reading Treliving is going for 2 Calgary d-men? I mean...it's not surprising given the circumstances....just interested to see if there's 1of 2 specific guys he likes or if it's 2 (in quantity) he's looking to bring in.

Friedman mentioned and heard if Brad can get a deal for Zadorov and Tanev he would, CJ also mentioned it a bit. Thats what's known rn but things could change

https://theleafsnation.com/news/slight-optimism-leafs-turn-around-slow-start-track-record

Its just a matter of CGY going okay rebuild time. Should have specified as I dont think they were in on Hanafin (Arizona is but yea I doubt that man stays there lul)

But yea who knows maybe CGY decides to move on from Weegar or Andersson. Either way no matter who comes they would be nice additions.

My thought process was if say one or the other is traded to another team maybe they could try and still make a bigger deal that adds Dube. As a guy who can play everywhere in the lineup like Jarnkrok would be a nice addition.
Nov. 14, 2023 at 8:08 p.m.
"Patrick Kane is training in Oakville and met with the Toronto Maple Leafs today", per @puckempire on IG, credits John Shannon.

For like 1 or 2M screw it lets try. Man I'm trying not to get excited at the idea of Kane but I'd be lying if I wasn't even if I know he's not prime Chicago Kane anymore.
NorthernLeafsFan05 liked this.
Nov. 14, 2023 at 8:12 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Quoting: leafs101
"Patrick Kane is training in Oakville and met with the Toronto Maple Leafs today", per puckempire on IG, credits John Shannon.

For like 1 or 2M screw it lets try. Man I'm trying not to get excited at the idea of Kane but I'd be lying if I wasn't even if I know he's not prime Chicago Kane anymore.

Is Patrick Kane what our forward group needs right now? No, not necessarily. Would it be cool as hell to see Kane on a line with Matthews? Hell yes it would be
leafs101 and Juice liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll