ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$83,500,000$65,845,123$0$5,912,500$17,654,877
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
$4,150,000$4,150,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$3,500,000$4M)
C
RFA - 3
$2,250,000$2,250,000
LW, C, RW
RFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$505,000$505K)
LW, C
RFA - 1
$4,250,000$4,250,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$758,333$758,333
RW
RFA - 1
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 1
$950,000$950,000
C
RFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RW, C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
LW, C
RFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
RW
RFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$916,667$916,667 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LD
UFA - 1
$9,500,000$9,500,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 7
$962,500$962,500
G
RFA - 2
$918,333$918,333 (Performance Bonus$1,000,000$1M)
LD
RFA - 3
$4,400,000$4,400,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$1,250,000$1,250,000
LD
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$758,333$758,333
LW
RFA - 1
$1,200,000$1,200,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
RW, C
RFA - 1
$850,833$850,833 (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
RD
RFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Dec. 4, 2023 at 7:17 a.m.
Are you really a Bettman fan or is that a sarcastic username?
exo2769 liked this.
Dec. 4, 2023 at 7:53 a.m.
exo2769
I don't think CHI takes that EDM trade. Its just too large a contract for too long. It'll probably need very easy conditions to get that 2026 2nd to be a 1st. Like simply making the playoffs before the 2026 draft easy.
Hawksguy81, Garak, Snowhawk18 and 1 other person liked this.
Dec. 4, 2023 at 8:25 a.m.
Quoting: exo2769
I don't think CHI takes that EDM trade. Its just too large a contract for too long. It'll probably need very easy conditions to get that 2026 2nd to be a 1st. Like simply making the playoffs before the 2026 draft easy.

I think this years 1st, a conditional 2nd that upgrades to a first, and a prospect wouldn't be unreasonable. Edmonton has backed themselves into a corner and they really don't have any other option than to get rid of him. He's literally unplayable, getting shelled in the AHL constantly. Hawks don't even have to keep him, its a really easy buyout that Edmonton just can't afford right now.
exo2769 and Garak liked this.
Dec. 4, 2023 at 8:55 a.m.
Dickinson is a useful player but you'd need retention for the Avs to have any serious interest I think.
Dec. 4, 2023 at 9:02 a.m.
Edited Dec. 4, 2023 at 9:08 a.m.

Quoting: SpinyLiving
I think this years 1st, a conditional 2nd that upgrades to a first, and a prospect wouldn't be unreasonable. Edmonton has backed themselves into a corner and they really don't have any other option than to get rid of him. He's literally unplayable, getting shelled in the AHL constantly. Hawks don't even have to keep him, its a really easy buyout that Edmonton just can't afford right now.

I don't think ownership, McDavid, or Draisaitl are gonna be happy if Holland waits too long, especially if that results in punting on the season. They don't have time to attempt to salvage Campbell, but dumping his contract is also going to use up the assets they need to add to their roster. An absolutely awful situation for a team with a generational talent like McDavid to be in. This whole ordeal could set them back so far that I could see one or both of McD and Drai asking for a trade. But, there are great lessons a team like CHI can learn from here, with their very own Bedard just beginning his career.

So, yes, if they want to dump Campbell, it is going to cost them a ton, but I doubt they do it. It would likely be a no win situation, unless some team does them a HUGE favor and sends players back that can make a big difference on EDM's roster at a heavy dicount AND doesn't take up too much roster space. I stress, it would quite literally be a HUGE FAVOR, but maybe we send them a couple "right now" players in exchange for some prospects. If we want those futures, we might have to make it a winning situation for EDM. Sacrifice some value now for the long term of CHI's rebuild. Otherwise, I doubt they dump him at all. They probably just bury him and move another contract that brings assets in, rather than sending them out. Just a thought. I honestly wouldn't put it past Holland to screw the pooch and mess the whole thing up. But if he is smart and/or has smart people around him, he should be thinking along these lines.
LivingAnew liked this.
Dec. 4, 2023 at 10:08 a.m.
exo2769
Quoting: Garak
I don't think ownership, McDavid, or Draisaitl are gonna be happy if Holland waits too long, especially if that results in punting on the season. They don't have time to attempt to salvage Campbell, but dumping his contract is also going to use up the assets they need to add to their roster. An absolutely awful situation for a team with a generational talent like McDavid to be in. This whole ordeal could set them back so far that I could see one or both of McD and Drai asking for a trade. But, there are great lessons a team like CHI can learn from here, with their very own Bedard just beginning his career.

So, yes, if they want to dump Campbell, it is going to cost them a ton, but I doubt they do it. It would likely be a no win situation, unless some team does them a HUGE favor and sends players back that can make a big difference on EDM's roster at a heavy dicount AND doesn't take up too much roster space. I stress, it would quite literally be a HUGE FAVOR, but maybe we send them a couple "right now" players in exchange for some prospects. If we want those futures, we might have to make it a winning situation for EDM. Sacrifice some value now for the long term of CHI's rebuild. Otherwise, I doubt they dump him at all. They probably just bury him and move another contract that brings assets in, rather than sending them out. Just a thought. I honestly wouldn't put it past Holland to screw the pooch and mess the whole thing up. But if he is smart and/or has smart people around him, he should be thinking along these lines.

I agree. It's probably not likely. EDM would have to clear a lot of cap. The only way I could see it working is IF KD got the Wirtz family to shell out some serious dead money. Not just Campbell, but also Connor Brown. We'll have the cap space to take Browns bonuses next year. That's the other piece that's really hurting EDM's future is that they (to a certain extent) mortgaged next year's cap space with these easy bonuses in order to get Connor Brown and they're STILL struggling. Once EDM got the cap space, maybe then they could get a few veterans to buy off that EDM is a place worth attempting a cup run with. Get a Talbot/Ned or potentially Quick...getting (2) goalies for cheap contracts should help. Getting a veteran defensive Dman should help too. I could see TJ Brodie wanting to get the heck out of dodge or maybe Tanev might get them a 1 year contract?
Garak liked this.
Dec. 4, 2023 at 2:59 p.m.
I agree. It's probably not likely. EDM would have to clear a lot of cap. The only way I could see it working is IF KD got the Wirtz family to shell out some serious dead money. Not just Campbell, but also Connor Brown. We'll have the cap space to take Browns bonuses next year. That's the other piece that's really hurting EDM's future is that they (to a certain extent) mortgaged next year's cap space with these easy bonuses in order to get Connor Brown and they're STILL struggling. Once EDM got the cap space, maybe then they could get a few veterans to buy off that EDM is a place worth attempting a cup run with. Get a Talbot/Ned or potentially Quick...getting (2) goalies for cheap contracts should help. Getting a veteran defensive Dman should help too. I could see TJ Brodie wanting to get the heck out of dodge or maybe Tanev might get them a 1 year contract?

That's not how bonuses work though. He's a UFA after this year, he makes that 3 mil this year but it impacts their cap space next year. That's why I don't understand why they played him, if they just waived him to the AHL they wouldn't owe him anything, but by playing him they are now 3 million down the drain next year for nothing in return.
Garak liked this.
Dec. 4, 2023 at 3:06 p.m.
exo2769
That's not how bonuses work though. He's a UFA after this year, he makes that 3 mil this year but it impacts their cap space next year. That's why I don't understand why they played him, if they just waived him to the AHL they wouldn't owe him anything, but by playing him they are now 3 million down the drain next year for nothing in return.

So, the devil's in the details. If CHI were to acquire Brown...they've got the cap space to take on those bonuses this year. EDM does not...THEN at the at point it'll move to next year. It's not just automatically sent to next year. MAYBE they're assuming they can trade that away??? Or Holland is expecting he's just not going to be around for it?
Garak liked this.
Dec. 4, 2023 at 3:10 p.m.
So, the devil's in the details. If CHI were to acquire Brown...they've got the cap space to take on those bonuses this year. EDM does not...THEN at the at point it'll move to next year. It's not just automatically sent to next year. MAYBE they're assuming they can trade that away??? Or Holland is expecting he's just not going to be around for it?

I believe the bonuses are automatically payed out this year, but the cap hit automatically goes to next year. Since he agreed to a contract with Edmonton and he reached 10 games played with Edmonton, they're the ones who owe him 3 million. Perry for example, had 2 million in salary and 2 million in bonuses on his contract, and that 2 million in bonuses was already paid out before his contract was voided.
exo2769 and Garak liked this.
Dec. 4, 2023 at 4:53 p.m.
exo2769
I believe the bonuses are automatically payed out this year, but the cap hit automatically goes to next year. Since he agreed to a contract with Edmonton and he reached 10 games played with Edmonton, they're the ones who owe him 3 million. Perry for example, had 2 million in salary and 2 million in bonuses on his contract, and that 2 million in bonuses was already paid out before his contract was voided.

There are "carry over" bonuses. The link below does a better job at outlining how the performance bonuses work...separate from Corey Perry because that's a signing bonus.

https://puckpedia.com/23Overage
Garak liked this.
Dec. 4, 2023 at 4:54 p.m.

Signing bonuses and performance bonuses have different rules. Any performance bonuses that would put a team over the cap become "bonus overages" and get tacked onto the next year. Seeing as CHI would be acquiring his contract and they have the cap space, it would just go toward this year. Cap hit and salary are different, though. I'm pretty sure a performance bonus like his would already have been paid out immediately upon reaching that 10 game mark. However, CHI would still be liable for a pro-rated cap hit, which is his total salary divided by 82 games in a season, times however many games are left after his contract is acquired, and a pro-rated salary of whatever he hasn't yet been paid divided the same way.
Dec. 4, 2023 at 5:02 p.m.

Yeah. Who knows what they will do. But if EDM is going to get a cup in the McD-Drai era, Holland NEEDS to go... and he needs to go yesterday. I wouldn't trust him to do anything right, at this point. But they are sort of turning things around. So maybe they can get back on track, get through this season, hopefully get into the playoffs and then try to get a new GM in place before the draft and free agency begin.
exo2769 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll