Forums/Armchair-GM

Who Should Stay and Who Should Go

Created by: KingofRnR
Team: 2023-24 Calgary Flames
Initial Creation Date: Dec. 9, 2023
Published: Dec. 9, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Extend Tanev for $3.5-4mil/yr x 3yrs immediately to put an end to all the horrendous troll trade offers for him on this site. I know I’ve flip flopped, but Tanev’s a guy the Flames should really look to keep. He’s a much harder guy to replace than Hanifin or Lindholm

CGY should be able to get decent returns for 6/7 Players I put on LTIR and can upgrade the roster for the ~$25mil+ in freed up Cap Space next season. The only iffy/questionable guys to move on from are Lindholm and Mangiapane, but I’m not interested in giving Lindholm the contract he wants and Mangiapane is becoming expendable given his lack of effectiveness and production. The alternative is to Trade Wee Little Pelletier and/or Coronato if the return is good and makes sense
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$87,500,000$59,336,665$0$1,092,500$28,163,335
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Calgary Flames
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
LW, C
RFA - 2
$7,000,000$7,000,000
C
NMC
UFA - 6
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW
RFA - 2
$863,333$863,333
LW
RFA - 1
$5,350,000$5,350,000
C
NMC
UFA - 1
$4,900,000$4,900,000
RW, LW
NTC
UFA - 4
$10,500,000$10,500,000
LW, RW
NMC
UFA - 8
$762,500$762,500
LW, C
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
RW
RFA - 1
$762,500$762,500
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$832,500$832,500
RW, C
RFA - 1
$825,000$825,000
RW
UFA - 2
$775,000$775,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$6,250,000$6,250,000
LD/RD
NTC
UFA - 8
$4,550,000$4,550,000
RD
UFA - 3
$813,333$813,333 (Performance Bonus$15,000$15K)
G
RFA - 1
$823,333$823,333 (Performance Bonus$15,000$15K)
LD
RFA - 2
$1,125,000$1,125,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
G
NMC
UFA - 3
$828,333$828,333
LD
RFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
RD
UFA - 1
$762,500$762,500
LD
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$4,850,000$4,850,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$1,237,500$1,237,500
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$5,800,000$5,800,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$3,100,000$3,100,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 2
$2,300,000$2,300,000
LW, RW, C
RFA - 1
$2,200,000$2,200,000
G
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Dec. 9, 2023 at 11:51 p.m.
i dont get it, if you are looking to trade half your roster, why resign tanev? if you trade all these guys the flames wont be competetive for the duration of tanev's contract anyway.
Dec. 9, 2023 at 11:53 p.m.
Well zadorov got a 1st+…wait no he only returned a 3rd (‘26) and 5th (‘24) 🧐. So hard to know what you’ll get for these but some good players there. My money is that Tanev won’t extend in Calgary & he should be moved. Tough to resist hometown as you near the end of your career 🤞
Dec. 10, 2023 at 12:00 a.m.
I don't know if Tanev is harder to replace than Lindholm unless you mean the skill set, but the Flames are going to lose him soon anyway with him being 34 yo. Not worth keeping him around unless the offers aren't decent. For now, they should be looking for a great offer but in the end, the return doesn't have to be great, just decent if there's nothing better.
Dec. 10, 2023 at 12:14 a.m.
Quoting: drambui
i dont get it, if you are looking to trade half your roster, why resign tanev? if you trade all these guys the flames wont be competetive for the duration of tanev's contract anyway.

The flames won’t be competitive even if they decide to KEEP all of these guys… I have no idea what this guy is talking about. If you’re barely a playoff team, and you can trade an injury-prone 34 year old defenceman who’s not even really valuable in your future for a 1st round pick, you do it.
palhal and drambui liked this.
Dec. 10, 2023 at 12:26 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Flames might have success in getting good trade value for those UFAs. But trading the other players with term, especially ones with higher salaries, Flames would just get similar players and cap back in return, so it's kinda redundant.
Dec. 10, 2023 at 2:18 a.m.
Trade Hanifin, Tanev and Dube. Markstrom too if possible, if not then they'll probably have to move Vladar.

Lindholm and Mangiapane are keepers unless we get a really great offer for one of them or in Lindholm's case if he either won't extend or wants too much money to extend.

Hanifin can stay if he'll extend for 6.25 mil AAV (very unlikely) otherwise it's time to move on from him. If he was more physical he'd be worth the 7.5 mil he was rumored to have been asking for.
Dec. 10, 2023 at 11:31 a.m.
TrevorA
Quoting: drambui

I mean that's your opinion and you're entitled to it, but Tanev is just as important to us for the mentorship and development of our young guys coming up as his skill set on the ice. He's the Leader you need regardless where you are at in the process of competing

Quoting: GMBL
I don't know if Tanev is harder to replace than Lindholm unless you mean the skill set, but the Flames are going to lose him soon anyway with him being 34 yo. Not worth keeping him around unless the offers aren't decent. For now, they should be looking for a great offer but in the end, the return doesn't have to be great, just decent if there's nothing better.

If it's an offer we can't refuse, sure, but I'm not seeing that on here and don't trust Conroy to generate a good return. He's 0/2 in Trades and has been fleeced both attempts so far...

I'd much rather have an older defensemen than forward. It's a faster younger game, so a young forward corp with an experienced defensive corp is a better set up to me. Rasmus Andersson said himself that if anybody should be considered "Untouchable" on the Flames, it should be Tanev...

Tanev has apparently communicated he wants to win as a Flame, so if he's willing to extend, I say let's do it. Now if they can't come to terms by the deadline, then yeah, Trade him for what you can get, but I don't value picks outside the Top-20 too highly. I'd prefer an established Prospect, like Brannstrom, Liljegren or Lundkvist far more than a lottery pick that could net absolutely nothing in return...

Quoting: WN88
The flames won’t be competitive even if they decide to KEEP all of these guys… I have no idea what this guy is talking about. If you’re barely a playoff team, and you can trade an injury-prone 34 year old defenceman who’s not even really valuable in your future for a 1st round pick, you do it.

Sure, but send us a Top-20 Pick or Equivalent Prospect or forget about it. Rather keep the Player and Leader to Develop and Shelter the Young Guys as opposed to a lottery pick that only has a 15% chance of turning in to anything and will take several years before they're even able to contribute... Flames aren't and will never tear it down and rebuild, it's just not what we do... Don't get a mind cramp or aneurysm trying to understand what I'm talking about, best to remain simple minded like the majority of posters on here anyways...
Dec. 10, 2023 at 11:40 a.m.
TrevorA
Quoting: MitchJr
Well zadorov got a 1st+…wait no he only returned a 3rd (‘26) and 5th (‘24) 🧐. So hard to know what you’ll get for these but some good players there. My money is that Tanev won’t extend in Calgary & he should be moved. Tough to resist hometown as you near the end of your career 🤞

Yes, we have a Terrible Rookie GM who was trained by yet another Terrible GM in Treliving... He's 0/2 and has been absolutely fleeced in both Trade attempts he's performed thus far...

It was clear certain things were required for Zadorov to bring back a 1st (+ contract/player of absolutely no value):
1. Trade would need to have happened at the Deadline
2. Zadorov would have had to be 50-75% retained
3. Zadorov would have a pre-negotiated Contract Extension ready to be signed upon arrival

None of the above happened and the clear consensus was Conroy gave him away and that he should have fetched a 2nd at a bare minimum. Ignoring this makes you ignorant... Many simple minded hockey posters on here, like you, disputed Zadorov's a 2nd Pairing D-Man, yet, low and behold, guess where VAN is deploying him and although the offer was weak and low, a 3rd + 5th is almost the equivalent of a 2nd, so it's not like he went for nothing, it was just peanuts...

I believe Tanev's preferred Teams to play for in order would be:

1. Calgary Flames 2. Vancouver Canucks 3. Seattle Kraken 4. Toronto Maple Leafs 5. Ottawa Senators

He's given no indication he cares much about Toronto, so you can wish and dream all you want, but Tanev likely knows and is well aware he has a greater chance of Winning with the first 3 Teams WAY before with the Maple Leafs who always crap the bed come playoff time. The Team's cursed, so if winning he Cup is important, Toronto's the last place I'd want to go...
Dec. 10, 2023 at 11:46 a.m.
TrevorA
Quoting: palhal
Flames might have success in getting good trade value for those UFAs. But trading the other players with term, especially ones with higher salaries, Flames would just get similar players and cap back in return, so it's kinda redundant.

Fair Comment Pal, but Mangiapane's underlying stats show he's a Top 2-Way Winger with Proven History he Can Net the Puck. If we could Trade him for an underperforming Centre or Right Defensemen needing a change of scenery with upside, it would make sense. Same goes for Dube & Sharangovich...

Flames are Weak down the middle and at RD, we need to find and make our Dylan Strome or Kirby Dach type Trades using Wingers we have Young Replacements for already OR we need to dangle Pelletier & Coronato for TOP C or RD Prospects
Dec. 10, 2023 at 11:57 a.m.
TrevorA
Quoting: MoxNix
Trade Hanifin, Tanev and Dube. Markstrom too if possible, if not then they'll probably have to move Vladar.

Lindholm and Mangiapane are keepers unless we get a really great offer for one of them or in Lindholm's case if he either won't extend or wants too much money to extend.

Hanifin can stay if he'll extend for 6.25 mil AAV (very unlikely) otherwise it's time to move on from him. If he was more physical he'd be worth the 7.5 mil he was rumored to have been asking for.

I'd move Markstrom in a heartbeat, but given his NMC, I just don't see it happening, thus I don't count or plan on it

Lindholm is too old to give the long-term big money contract out too, especially since we've already done that with Huberdeau & Kadri. IOW - There's no more slots available for BIG & LONG-TERM Contracts that won't age well, especially when he isn't earning it now...

We've used up the best of Lindholm's years already and possibly/potentially Hanifin's as well. Hanifin's skilled, but hasn't been good enough Defensively the last couple of years and Weegar has replaced him as our 1LD. Time to move on, especially given the contract offered to him was for $60mil/8yrs = $7.5/yr...

I'd only move Mang if it was for a Centre or RD needing a change of Scenery and or we could use his Cap Space elsewhere. Dube's for sure expendable at this point

What's your position on Sharangovich though... $3.1 mil for a 0.40-0.50PPG guy who Kills Penalties and is Effective on Shootouts isn't terrible, but he's nothing more than a Bottom-6 Player...

Clearly the Younger Guys in Zary & Pospisil have shown far more Speed, Skill & Emotion and both are Fearless Carrying the Puck comparatively. I'd rather see what RW'ers Pospisil, Ruzicka, Duehr, Greer, Coronato, Klapka and Schwindt can offer and will bring at this point given the same opportunities Sharangovich has been afforded....
Dec. 10, 2023 at 1:16 p.m.
Quoting: KingofRnR
Yes, we have a Terrible Rookie GM who was trained by yet another Terrible GM in Treliving... He's 0/2 and has been absolutely fleeced in both Trade attempts he's performed thus far...

It was clear certain things were required for Zadorov to bring back a 1st (+ contract/player of absolutely no value):
1. Trade would need to have happened at the Deadline
2. Zadorov would have had to be 50-75% retained
3. Zadorov would have a pre-negotiated Contract Extension ready to be signed upon arrival

None of the above happened and the clear consensus was Conroy gave him away and that he should have fetched a 2nd at a bare minimum. Ignoring this makes you ignorant... Many simple minded hockey posters on here, like you, disputed Zadorov's a 2nd Pairing D-Man, yet, low and behold, guess where VAN is deploying him and although the offer was weak and low, a 3rd + 5th is almost the equivalent of a 2nd, so it's not like he went for nothing, it was just peanuts...

I believe Tanev's preferred Teams to play for in order would be:

1. Calgary Flames 2. Vancouver Canucks 3. Seattle Kraken 4. Toronto Maple Leafs 5. Ottawa Senators

He's given no indication he cares much about Toronto, so you can wish and dream all you want, but Tanev likely knows and is well aware he has a greater chance of Winning with the first 3 Teams WAY before with the Maple Leafs who always crap the bed come playoff time. The Team's cursed, so if winning he Cup is important, Toronto's the last place I'd want to go...

😅👍
Dec. 10, 2023 at 2:39 p.m.
Edited Dec. 10, 2023 at 3:14 p.m.
I'd move Markstrom in a heartbeat, but given his NMC, I just don't see it happening, thus I don't count or plan on it

Lindholm is too old to give the long-term big money contract out too, especially since we've already done that with Huberdeau & Kadri. IOW - There's no more slots available for BIG & LONG-TERM Contracts that won't age well, especially when he isn't earning it now...

We've used up the best of Lindholm's years already and possibly/potentially Hanifin's as well. Hanifin's skilled, but hasn't been good enough Defensively the last couple of years and Weegar has replaced him as our 1LD. Time to move on, especially given the contract offered to him was for $60mil/8yrs = $7.5/yr...

I'd only move Mang if it was for a Centre or RD needing a change of Scenery and or we could use his Cap Space elsewhere. Dube's for sure expendable at this point

What's your position on Sharangovich though... $3.1 mil for a 0.40-0.50PPG guy who Kills Penalties and is Effective on Shootouts isn't terrible, but he's nothing more than a Bottom-6 Player...

Clearly the Younger Guys in Zary & Pospisil have shown far more Speed, Skill & Emotion and both are Fearless Carrying the Puck comparatively. I'd rather see what RW'ers Pospisil, Ruzicka, Duehr, Greer, Coronato, Klapka and Schwindt can offer and will bring at this point given the same opportunities Sharangovich has been afforded....

I'm ok with Sharangovich at this time. He's been very good as the 4th line center with Greer and Duehr, would probably be fine as a 3rd line center and can play up or down the lineup on either wing. Basically he's a bigger more consistent replacement for Dube with almost twice as many points so far this year in spite of being the new guy. He makes a fair bit more but Dube is an arbitration eligible RFA who will be probably be making close to as much next year anyhow.

Of course Z is on the 2nd pair in Vancouver just like he would have been in Toronto unless they decided to play him on the 1st pair as RD with Reilly. Then could send Brodie to join Klingberg on Robidas Island. It's beyond convenient how a healthy scratch like Klingberg suddenly realized he needs surgery. Robidas Island population is growing fast!

Edit: BTW I don't blame Conroy for the horrible return in the Zadorov trade. I blame Murray Edwards for that. I have no doubt Edwards forced Conroy to get rid of Zadorov as quickly as possible for w/e he can get quickly as long as it wasn't Treliving and the Leafs... Probably not the oilers either, those two teams would have had to egregiously overpay for Edwards to approve it.

Yes Edwards does have to approve all but the most insignificant trades and free agent signings. The Flames have missed out on a lot of good trades over the years because the GM either couldn't get ahold of Edwards to get permission in time or Edwards wouldn't approve it. I wouldn't be surprised if they missed out on at least a few very good UFAs they could have signed just because Edwards insisted on lowballing and when that failed ordered Brad to sign slightly cheaper but much worse options like James Neal. Brad is pretty bad all by himself but Edwards' meddling made him look even worse than he is.
Dec. 10, 2023 at 7:45 p.m.
TrevorA
Quoting: MoxNix
I'm ok with Sharangovich at this time. He's been very good as the 4th line center with Greer and Duehr, would probably be fine as a 3rd line center and can play up or down the lineup on either wing. Basically he's a bigger more consistent replacement for Dube with almost twice as many points so far this year in spite of being the new guy. He makes a fair bit more but Dube is an arbitration eligible RFA who will be probably be making close to as much next year anyhow.

Of course Z is on the 2nd pair in Vancouver just like he would have been in Toronto unless they decided to play him on the 1st pair as RD with Reilly. Then could send Brodie to join Klingberg on Robidas Island. It's beyond convenient how a healthy scratch like Klingberg suddenly realized he needs surgery. Robidas Island population is growing fast!

Edit: BTW I don't blame Conroy for the horrible return in the Zadorov trade. I blame Murray Edwards for that. I have no doubt Edwards forced Conroy to get rid of Zadorov as quickly as possible for w/e he can get quickly as long as it wasn't Treliving and the Leafs... Probably not the oilers either, those two teams would have had to egregiously overpay for Edwards to approve it.

Yes Edwards does have to approve all but the most insignificant trades and free agent signings. The Flames have missed out on a lot of good trades over the years because the GM either couldn't get ahold of Edwards to get permission in time or Edwards wouldn't approve it. I wouldn't be surprised if they missed out on at least a few very good UFAs they could have signed just because Edwards insisted on lowballing and when that failed ordered Brad to sign slightly cheaper but much worse options like James Neal. Brad is pretty bad all by himself but Edwards' meddling made him look even worse than he is.

Agreed on Sharangovich over Dube who’s really hurting his value atm, but at least Dube wins Faceoffs, which is a pretty big deal possession wise for me. I’d only use Sharangovich as a 4C for this very reason

Yeah, it’s pretty greasy to see guys go on LTIR and magically re-appear come the playoffs

So if it’s all on Edwards, what’s the point of continuing to back the Flames…. I’m not happy with the Trades or our Offensive Playbook. I’m ready to fire and move on from both Conroy and Marc Savard already lol and I still don’t like the line combinations
Dec. 10, 2023 at 7:54 p.m.
Edited Dec. 10, 2023 at 8:03 p.m.
Agreed on Sharangovich over Dube who’s really hurting his value atm, but at least Dube wins Faceoffs, which is a pretty big deal possession wise for me. I’d only use Sharangovich as a 4C for this very reason

Yeah, it’s pretty greasy to see guys go on LTIR and magically re-appear come the playoffs

So if it’s all on Edwards, what’s the point of continuing to back the Flames…. I’m not happy with the Trades or our Offensive Playbook. I’m ready to fire and move on from both Conroy and Marc Savard already lol and I still don’t like the line combinations

Yeah Savard's offensive changes haven't impressed me much so far. Especially not the powerplay which his mere presence on the coaching staff was supposed to fix.

No sense firing Conroy as long as Edwards is still pulling all the strings. Conroy showed at the draft that he knows what it takes to win when it counts. Not just soft puck skills but size, speed and physicality too.

Huska has been pretty good too but to really find out how good he and Conroy are first we need a new owner or at least a way to stop the current owner from meddling in everything.

You know I always wondered why Brad wouldn't go into LTIR when it made all kinds of sense to do it.... Like last year with Kylington who spent the entire year on IR instead of LTIR. Yet now that he's GM in Toronto Brad is deep into LTIR, abusing it just as much as Tampa and Vegas have in the past.
KingofRnR liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll